July 10, 2009

The Weeklies #92

The Weekly Force To Be Reckoned With. Post-vacation reality.

The Weekly Beer. Dominion Dortmunder Lager.

The Weekly Plan For Better Living. I want to move to the beach. Okay, okay, so I realize I couldn't exactly just hang out at the beach and eat snowcones everyday if I was living there. I'd have to get a real job. Or three. Because houses at the beach? Expensive. The shack we passed everyday on our walk to the beach listed for $1 million. Okay, maybe this isn't the greatest plan ever.

The Weekly Read. I pretty much gave up on serial killer novels - especially series about them - when Thomas Harris forced Hannibal Lecter to jump the shark. Of course, Harris isn't that good a writer so I shouldn't have let him scar me so. I got the chance to read advance copies of Chelsea Cain's first two novels Sweetheart and Heart Sick last year. They were both excellent. Disturbing, well-written, captivating. So I jumped at the chance to get my hands on an early copy of Evil At Heart. The verdict? Pretty damn awesome. It's maybe not as strong as the first two novels but Cain deftly continues the story without abusing it. I'll admit to being just as eager for the fourth novel as I was for the second and third.

The Weekly Pictures. There are bunch of them from the beach! Take a look.

The Weekly Time Waster. Rabbit Wants Cake!

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Frankly, anyone who sleeps with Hugh Hefner is deserving of a healthy dose of schadenfreude. But a woman who claims to be the reincarnation of Venus Demilo and calls herself the biggest hat in the world who claims that Hefner was a member of an organization of pedophiles and is, in turn, suing Hef for $3 billion is even more deserving. If you want crazy, check out the full complaint.

The Weekly Hypothetical. Would you rather be a fish or a bird? Why?

Posted by Chris at July 10, 2009 6:32 AM
Comments

Bird. They can fly and fish smell funny anyway ;)

Posted by: Heather at July 10, 2009 6:46 AM

Bird. One word: Jaws

Also, we live at the beach and it's a world of free kid entertainment. Drawback? One word: Jaws.

Posted by: Jo MacD at July 10, 2009 6:56 AM

Weekly Read: I will add Cain to my TBB list. I will read almost anything except sci-fi, but serial killer novels are an old favorite.

Weekly Pictures: I now want to move to the beach too. Why does Owen look like such a big boy in these photos instead of a baby?!

Weekly Schadenfreude: Anyone who would allow such a complaint to be filed should be on the weekly schadenfreude.

Weekly Hypothetical: Bird. I've seen the world from the ground up. A bird's eye view would be interesting to experience.

Posted by: MariaV at July 10, 2009 7:06 AM

Oh I would be a bird. I would soar high in the sky and survey all below. Sometimes I have dreams where I am flying and I love it!

Posted by: Maribeth at July 10, 2009 7:47 AM

Wow she's a hat alright! FREAK!

Those pictures are great, I want to live at the beach as well as soon as I win the megabucks...My beach place would be in Falmouth, MA

Posted by: Dee at July 10, 2009 7:47 AM

If I were a bird, I could poop on anyone who'd offended me before I became a bird.

I've got a little list.

Posted by: Ann Adams at July 10, 2009 7:52 AM

do our tax dollars go into processing that legal claim? *sigh*

Posted by: la petite belle at July 10, 2009 8:05 AM

Bird. I tend to get pruney if I spend too much time underwater.

Posted by: J at July 10, 2009 8:39 AM

Fish. Beth Fish. (Wait - is that creepy??)

Posted by: Country Girl at July 10, 2009 8:54 AM

Peacock. They get prettier when they get bitchy.

Posted by: Rebecca at July 10, 2009 8:57 AM

I always leave our beach vacation thinking of ways to move there too.
Enjoyed the pics, I spent several summers at Rehobeth Beach when I was Mia's age. We left the East Coast when I was 7 but I have wonderful memories of that beach.

Posted by: Texxla at July 10, 2009 9:16 AM

Definitely a bird, because I'm afraid of water and I can't swim, so that would be that. And holymotherofGod, what in the world.... that woman... errrr... hat, is mental! That's the nuttiest thing I've ever read. In my life!

Posted by: coolchick at July 10, 2009 10:18 AM

Every year when I go to the beach, I decide we should give up our day jobs and rent sea doos for a living.

Posted by: kalisa at July 10, 2009 10:34 AM

You take lovely pictures! Like most others, I choose to be a bird. Have you ever read the book 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull'?

Posted by: Jo at July 10, 2009 11:40 AM

... NOT a fish... I'm scared of the water!

Posted by: Pooba~ at July 10, 2009 12:23 PM

After reading the first handful of sentences, I think she has an outstanding chance of remaining batshit crazy.

Bird. The ability to fly trumps the ability to swim and potentially get caught and gutted by rednecks. Unless the bird is a turkey or a chicken, then fuck that, make me a fish.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at July 10, 2009 1:02 PM

Fish or bird? I can't come up with any salient Simpsons quotes to shed light on the obvious answer, so I'll have to refer to super heroes. Would I rather be Aquaman or Hawkman? On one hand, Aquaman seems like a cool guy and can shoot those sonar circles out of his forehead, but on the other hand, people don't live in most of the parts of the world covered by water. As for Hawkman, he's got kind of a busted grille. (To my eye.) But he's got wings. Which would be cool, but I bet Aquaman gets more chicks at the end of the day, he's probably got mad beach skills; and actually Hawkman is monogamous if I remember correctly.

Uhhh... what was the question?

Posted by: robert muller at July 10, 2009 1:04 PM

I would rather be a bird, because being underwater freaks me out. I somehow lose my ability to tell up from down, and it's one of my biggest irrational fears that one time I'll keep swimming down when I mean to swim up.

Ahem.

Have you ever read any of Alice Sebold's books?

Posted by: caleal at July 10, 2009 2:27 PM

BIRD
Birds eat fish and I'd rather not be lunch ;)

Posted by: Rose Winters at July 10, 2009 7:09 PM

How are we supposed to vote against being a fish if your wife is a fish? tsk.

(Cat, I'd rather be a cat.)

Posted by: Poppy at July 10, 2009 9:08 PM

Great beach pictures!

Posted by: coolchick at July 10, 2009 10:09 PM

Whoah, I didn't know Chelsea Cain had another book ready! I LOVED her first two.

Have you read Lisa Unger's Beautiful Lies or Sliver of Truth? You should.

Posted by: Amanda at July 10, 2009 10:10 PM

I love how it said 2 billion and she scratched it out and it now says 3 billion. Because $2 billion clearly was no enough.

The kids are adorable... love the shots with the star sunglasses.

Both are really dumb animals. I guess birds ... but only if I get to be an Eagle or something. Being a shark might be ok too...

Posted by: Nat at July 11, 2009 7:54 AM

Christmas gift idea: Snowcone machine for Chris.

Posted by: debra at July 11, 2009 10:35 AM

Post vacation: I feel your pain! We got back yesterday *sigh*

Posted by: Nadine at July 11, 2009 5:02 PM

I'm going against the grain and saying I'd rather be a fish - a whale to be precise. They have virtually no predators other than humans,
they have beautiful voices, many cd's recorded, they swim freely, are playful, friendly, mate for life, not many downsides IMHO.

Posted by: LaineyDid at July 12, 2009 3:32 PM

Posted by: LaineyDid at July 12, 2009 3:33 PM

I just recall reading someone comparing Hugh Hefner's ancient...um...semen as "sawdust". You know..due to his advanced dotage. Not for all the money in the world, honey. Not a chance.

Posted by: apathy lounge at July 12, 2009 7:42 PM