July 17, 2009

The Weeklies #93

The Weekly Quote. "Owen, your ear is not a trashcan!"

The Weekly Beer. Any. All.

The Weekly Downer. I have another patented Big Work Thing which will pretty much run me ragged for another two weeks. Then I'm planning a day off.

The Weekly Read. Jonathan Tropper is like an American Nick Hornby, with, you know, less soccer and music. But Tropper has this amazing knack for developing characters you know almost instantly and love and putting them into quirky situations. His latest, This Is Where I Leave You is no exception and it might also be among Tropper's second-best book, The Book Of Joe taking the top spot. This Is Where I Leave You finds Tropper taking the best of his previous books and rolling them into one unique, rewarding novel. I'm always bummed when I finish one of Tropper's novels, not because they aren't good but because I know it'll be a year or two before I get my hands on a new one.

The Weekly Stupid Name Change That's Never Going To Stick. Apparently Chicago's landmark Sears Tower has just been renamed Willis Tower. Whatchyou talkin' about, Willis Tower?

The Weekly Time Waster. We all scream for Screamball.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Proving just how out of touch government sometimes is, the State Department was asked why they're not deploying the Firefox web browser throughout the agency. The answer? It's too expensive. Uh, guys...Firefox is free.

The Weekly Not-Really-Hypothetical. Just out of curiosity, are you a morning or a night person? Or both?

Posted by Chris at July 17, 2009 6:53 AM
Comments

I used to be a total morning person. I was up around 4:30 and had at least an hour to myself before one of the kidlets got up. Then I got smart and quit smoking and now I can't pull my ass out of bed for nothin'. Go figure.

I'm not really a night person either. If I'm up past 11:00, I turn into a pumpkin. And an angry pumpkin at that.

So what does that make me? An afternoon person, I guess.

Happy weekend.

Posted by: Elizabeth at July 17, 2009 8:04 AM

BOTH! I'm one of those people that doesn't drink caffeine, in the morning or anytime, I don't need an alarm clock to wake up unless I went to bed at 4am and I have to get up at 5 and I was trashed the night before. I wake up at 7am even on the weekends. However, if I have some place to be, I'm all about being out late.

Posted by: Dee at July 17, 2009 8:11 AM

I am a little bit of both - ok a lotta bit.
I love to get up early because then there's so much more to the day.
But I love to stay up late (ok we're talking 11pm the latest lately) because I get peace and quiet and the TV REMOTE.
Besides my husband is an early bird (up at 4:30am bed by 8pm) and my son is a teenager and so therefore a night owl (home at midnight bed around 2am up for work most days at 9am). So I guess I've adjusted to fit in the best of both worlds!

Posted by: NancyJ at July 17, 2009 8:13 AM

I seem to have turned into a morning person somehow.

Have a good weekend.

Posted by: Ann Adams at July 17, 2009 8:18 AM

I am most definitely a night person. I have my morning routine timed so that I can wake up at the very last minute and still make it to work on time. Hate, hate, hate mornings.

However. I have a baby on the way, so I'm trying to enjoy this while I can, knowing that my late mornings will soon be a thing of the past.

Posted by: Leah at July 17, 2009 8:19 AM

Morning or night? How about neither. I am a pathetic 25 year old who likes to be in bed by 10:30. Although I have to be up by 5:30am, I do not feel awake until, oh, ten or so. On my days off I sleep until about 9:30 and am still in bed by 11 or 12. Sad.

Posted by: Ashley K at July 17, 2009 8:26 AM

I am by far a night person. I haven't gone to bed yet. Which is ridiculous. I've stayed up all night watching Season 2 of the West Wing.

Posted by: Heather at July 17, 2009 8:34 AM

Morning person, without a doubt.

Happy Friday!

Posted by: Emily at July 17, 2009 8:38 AM

Night - always have been no matter how hard I try to be a morning...

Posted by: Christina at July 17, 2009 8:40 AM

A bit of both...I don't get up easily but I do love the early morning and having the whole day. And if you get up early enough there is time for a nap after doing a whole bunch of things.
As for nighttime I am either ready for bed by 10 or if I miss that window up really late on the computer or reading.
I think I have learned to adjust to both circumstances.

Posted by: diane at July 17, 2009 8:51 AM

Why do I get the impression I had something to do with that last question? ;)

I used to be a morning person, until I gave up caffeine. Now I am a grouchy person. I think I need to suck it up and go back to cafeeine.

And thanks for the good read advice...I've been collecting them the past month or so, so I have plenty to read on vacation!

Posted by: Theresa at July 17, 2009 9:04 AM

...*facepalm* Way to be, government.

I think I might be a morning person. Once I wake up. I get the most done in the morning and all that. I think that mostly I'm just a sleepy person. :D

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at July 17, 2009 9:06 AM

my routine oriented children have dictated that i be a morning person on the weekends until just a few weeks ago when the youngest started sleeping until 8. A long day of summer camp with swimming and a night of playing tball seems to make him sleep a bit longer! Of course I have a job to go to so during the week I'm up by 6 - and it is painful - until the coffee kicks in.

Posted by: steff at July 17, 2009 9:09 AM

I'm NOT a night person. However, I'm not good in the morning, either. Give me until about 10. Then I'm okay.

Posted by: k8 at July 17, 2009 9:40 AM

Neither one. I'd be happy just drowsing lazily by a pool or shoreline somewhere. Alas, that is not my real life. I'm up with the dawn and in bed by 10.

Posted by: Maribeth at July 17, 2009 9:58 AM

I'm a night person. I get up in the morning, but I don't like it. I'm not at my best before 10 am.

Posted by: bad penguin at July 17, 2009 10:01 AM

I am both. My best friend's hubs is still amazed at how I will wake up with the sun after an all-nighter. I guess I just hate to miss anything!

Posted by: mymilabean at July 17, 2009 10:03 AM

I've never heard of Tropper, but as Nick Hornby is one of my FAVES, I will have to check him out.

Posted by: kalisa at July 17, 2009 10:28 AM

We spent an evening at Nightime Pediatrics this week because my 4 yr old daughter put a rock in her ear and it was stuck. Good Times! Me, definately a morning person.

Posted by: Tracy H at July 17, 2009 11:15 AM

I'm such a night owl, but during the week I can't really be as I have to get up early. I can't wait until the end of August when I won't be working and can be a night owl if I want to.

Posted by: Adi at July 17, 2009 11:18 AM

Firefox is the best!
I am a night person by far!
(I stayed up way too late and just got up about half an hour ago. I know you hate me. I had an extra sleepy puppy here so that helped!)

Posted by: Rose Winters at July 17, 2009 2:35 PM

no way. that's hilarious (the thing about firefox) but whoever is asking the state questions needs to come up with more important ones.

Posted by: la petite belle at July 17, 2009 3:15 PM

I think I might be both. I like being up early, I like being up too late. I can go to bed at three and wake up at five and have my day with no problems. Conversely, I can sleep until noon (like I did today) when I don't have anything to wake up for.

And as far as the Willis Tower, I have one thing to say about that. Fuck. That. Noise. I mean, I understand, naming rights expire, wanting to make your name in the world, etc. However, the way to do that is not by changing the name of a land mark. Especially since it's not going to stick. Hell, people here still call "U.S. Cellular Field," "Comiskey." I, for one, am probably going to bitch about it for a few more weeks and then completely forget, thus reverting back to calling it "Sears Tower."

If I were in charge, I would have kept the name but changed the sign to something stupid like "Sear Tower, Presented by The Willis Group" or whatever they're called. Then in a yeah when everyone is still calling it the "Sears Tower," I wouldn't look as dumb.

Wow, am I still talking about this?

Posted by: Caleal at July 17, 2009 3:53 PM

I am a neither person. All I do lately is crave sleep. (No, I am not pregnent)

I'm thinking maybe just maybe my metabolism is off.

Or it is a result of having sleep apnea and not having one of those cool machines, so any sleep I get is not good sleep. I'm having mini-deaths and waking up constantly.

Posted by: debb at July 17, 2009 6:01 PM

Both and neither. My mood is more in tune with the weather. I can be at my best during an early morning sunrise with bird chirping, or a late night with stars twinkling and frogs croaking. On the other hand, if it's raining and cold, don't bother talking to me.

If it's snowing, wake me up once it's Spring.

Posted by: Just Rambling at July 17, 2009 6:33 PM

Definitely not a morning person. I sort of perk up around two, and left to my own devices I'd get up around 8-ish, lull and not get going until 11 a.m. ... however...

Posted by: Nat at July 17, 2009 6:40 PM

For some reason - your weekly Schadenfruede makes me hum "Proud To Be An American" to myself. We the people . . .

Posted by: Mindy at July 17, 2009 7:22 PM

Re: whether I'm a morning or night person -- I tend to be a little of both. I've always gotten up early, but I also tend to stay up pretty late.

Posted by: coolchick at July 17, 2009 7:26 PM

I am non-verbal in the morning, so I'm going for "night person", Bob.

Posted by: Poppy at July 17, 2009 9:48 PM

Ohhh, be careful of the ear thing with Owen - it took our Dr 4 tries to remove the eraser from the end of a pencil that our son shoved down his ear. It was the Dr's final attempt before he sent us to a specialist for surgery!!!
Re: morning or night. I used to be a night owl but as I get older I find myself leaning towards enjoying the mornings.
Have a lovely weekend!

Posted by: LaineyDid at July 18, 2009 5:03 PM

Night. Definitely night. I'm an awful morning person. I just don't function well in the mornings.

Posted by: Lori at July 18, 2009 11:48 PM

Posted by: Lori at July 18, 2009 11:48 PM

NIIIIGHHHHTTTT. Daylight is for suckers and parents.

Posted by: Aurelia at July 19, 2009 7:58 AM

I still had this window open from yesterday and wanted to say that your weekly quote is adorable. :)

Did I say already? Vampires hate the morning.

Posted by: Poppy at July 19, 2009 10:59 AM

Since you asked, I'm definitely more of night person... I CANNOT wake up early, and when I do... such as today, when my little cousins literally rolled me out of my bed... I am grumpy!
Also, I didn't know about the Sears Tower changing its name, despite the fact that I live in Chicago. But I think its dumb! I hate when places suddenly change their names to honor corporations! I just refuse to acknowledge them. I still call it the Rosemont Horizon (not the Allstate Arena) and Comisky Field (Not Cellular Field) etc!

Posted by: Nicki at July 19, 2009 6:58 PM

Leave it to the government!

I think over the years I've become a combination of morning and night person, but I don't stay up until late at night. Most days I am up for the day around 6:30; then doze off for a few hours once the almost 4-year old is finally asleep (he insists that someone is in the room with him before he will stay in bed and go to sleep). Then I'm usually up around 12:30 am and sometimes I go right back to sleep, sometimes I don't.

My brain gets overactive I guess as I've been known to balance my checkbook; make out bills; or iron my clothes for the next day at 2 am!

Posted by: ProudMary at July 20, 2009 8:13 AM