July 24, 2009

The Weeklies #94

The Weekly Beer. Long Hammer India Pale Ale.

The Weekly Lawsuit. Gregory McKenna has a beef with Apple (and a number of others). He claims in an extensive complaint that Apple has conspired with the mob to allow the mob to broadcast death threats via iPod. I think McKenna needs some meds.

The Weekly Spice. Cumin. I don't know why.

The Weekly Time Waster. Circle The Cat. (Thanks Pocklock!)

The Weekly Read. Every year or so, I get brave and stupid and try another Dean Koontz. They usually disappoint me. Because they usually suck. I know he writes decent books. I just never pick them. Anyway, I got brave and stupid again and read Relentless. And I was pleasantly surprised. Kinda. Relentless makes it clear that Koontz can write and that he has a decent sense of humor. Among the two-dimensional characters and seemingly out of place messages about faith, were some funny lines and some good writing. The story was compelling when it wasn't veering into silly implausibility. Unfortunately, the resolution of the story was all left to such silly implausibility which left a sour taste in my mouth. At least this time I didn't finish a Koontz novel and want to find him to beat him over the head with it. Or myself.

The Weekly Music. A buddy talked me into buying Our Lady Peace's first album when it came out. I don't mind saying that it kinda rocked. I've been picking up each album as they're released ever since. In my mind, their pinnacle was Happiness Is Not A Fish That You Can Catch. After that, they released the sub-standard Gravity which felt plastic, geared for radio play. Their latest - Healthy In Paranoid Times - was spectacular. So, Burn Burn had a lot to live up to. And for the most part, it succeeded. There's a bit less of an edge to Burn Burn but, as with previous albums, OLP's hooks are grand and grab you, sucking you into the music. These are intelligent, foot-stomping anthems written by a killer band. They might not be their best tracks, but they're better than most. You should give them a spin.

The Weekly Viral Video. The Eternal Moonwalk.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. We're doomed! Usually you hear someone say that and you start picturing fire-breathing monsters attacking downtown Tokyo. But this is far, far worse. Amy Winehouse - she of the drunken crack smoking - is releasing her own line of perfume. Too. Many. Jokes.

The Weekly Picture.

oman.fence.jpg

The Weekly Hypothetical. If you had one moment in your life you could do over, what would that moment be?

Posted by Chris at July 24, 2009 6:49 AM
Comments

Long long ago, my then boyfriend and I had an argument. Well, not so much an argument as a rather one sided rant...my side, he just listened. Finally, in exasperation, I said "well, if you wont talk to me, then you obviously dont love me, I'm going". So, out I marched, in my high dudgeon and high heels (mistake by the way) and walked the three miles to the nearest town to catch the bus home. On the way, he caught up with me in his car and told me to get in and stop being daft. I told him to stick it and walked on. He drove home. That's where we left it. Over. Finished. Done. The problem was, that I never had any intention of leaving, I was just frustrated, I wanted to hurt him because he hurt me. I was just angry. I never meant it. Well, it cost me two years of pain and sorrow because you know what, I have never loved anyone like I love him and I will never love anyone like I love him. A few years later, we got talking one night over the internet and to my suprise, he didnt want it to end either that night I walked out. We agreed to a tentative night at the cinema to see how we both felt. I never did remember what we watched that night, but when we walked out, we were holding hands again. That was 10 years ago and the poor sod eventually married me. If I could do one thing again, tell my younger self one thing, it would be : Dont be a such a child, stop stamping your foot and appologise you selfish ****, oh, and change your shoes for trainers before you walk out.....

Posted by: ChocolateChipWookie at July 24, 2009 7:17 AM

If you mean "do over" as in "correct", I'd be afraid to do any of them over - even the horrible mistakes - as it might fuck up where I am right now, which is pretty good.

If you mean "do over" as in "get to experience over", then maybe the birth of my children, but there were three and you said one only, and I couldn't pick just one, so if I couldn't smash all three moments into one (you know without making my head explode with all that emotion), maybe I'd pick my wedding, because I was kind of freaked out about not making my wedding more important than the marriage so I didn't really have as much fun as I'd like to have (in retrospect), even though everyone said it was the best wedding they'd ever been to!

Wow, that was a run-on sentence.

Posted by: harmzie at July 24, 2009 7:40 AM

Childbirth. Not my son, because I ended up having an emergency c-section, but my daughter because I can't remember enough about it.

Lovely picture of Owen, BTW.

Posted by: Elizabeth at July 24, 2009 7:50 AM

I somehow imagine Amy Winehouse's fragrance having the essence of burnt hair.

Posted by: Rachel at July 24, 2009 7:55 AM

I would have made sure that my soon-to-be ex had help in dealing with his drug addiction FAR sooner than I did, because now it is simply too late.

Posted by: Jen at July 24, 2009 8:50 AM

there is one instance I would like to do-over because I made the wrong choice...and may have hurt someone I love.
But there is a song I love called, "God Bless the Broken Road"..that brought me here to you...so maybe all of our choices are as should be.

Posted by: diane at July 24, 2009 9:07 AM

Ohhh love Our Lady Peace - 1st time I heard them I was in Canada in 2000 maybe on MUCH TV (Canada's version of MTV... OY!) I have been a fan ever since!

You might like The Tragically Hip and Great Big Sea is fun as well!

Sorry this is what happens when you marry a Canadian! LOL!

Posted by: Christina at July 24, 2009 9:16 AM

I would not have taken that ride in my car 24 years ago. You know that, I know.

Posted by: Maribeth at July 24, 2009 9:25 AM

There was a moment in a Starbucks about 4 years ago. I replay it over and over in my head and wish I had done the whole thing differently. Out of all the moments in my life when I've made the wrong or bad decision/s, that is the only one I want to change.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at July 24, 2009 9:42 AM

Evil cat site.

I would redo this morning and have the coffee set for me BEFORE i woke up.. would have saved me 5 minutes.. ;)

everything else.. Meh.. made me who I am, and who my kids are, and my husband is, and paved the path of where I'm going today.. And honestly I'm quite happy with this trip!

Posted by: molly at July 24, 2009 10:27 AM

I'd probably marry her, even though that would likely mean that I wouldn't be where I am doing what I'm doing. But the regret that you know about is more devastating than the regret that you don't, so yeah, I'd probably marry her.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at July 24, 2009 10:48 AM

The moment I want back is the one where I signed my intent to come to college here in L.A. instead of applying to Santa Clara. That decision started a cascade of sensible decisions that have left me financially comfortable and emotionally dead. I might sell my soul to have the last 20 years back, and I'm not even kidding.

Posted by: Brooke Habecker at July 24, 2009 11:30 AM

Saying "yes" to my first husband. What a butthead he is.

Posted by: Dawn at July 24, 2009 11:31 AM

My standard response is nothing, that would change where I am. But since, I can bare my soul here in Cactus land, I will admit the truth. I would never have broken up with DJ and dated Cody. When I did that my whole life got off track and it has taken me literally the lifetime since then, trying to find my way back to me.

Love the pic of Monkey Boy. :)

Posted by: debb at July 24, 2009 12:18 PM

Nuh-uh. "We're doomed!" can only bring to mind John Laurie as Private Fraser in Dad's Army. And if you don't know what that means, go here:

Posted by: Loth at July 24, 2009 12:47 PM

I love love LOVE OLP!! I saw them at the end of June at Summerfest. They kepts saying that it'd been 7yrs since they'd been in Milwaukee, they had no idea, blah blah blah, and then they only played for an hour. I understood they had less time than they normally would due to the venue, but STILL! I hope they come back soon.

Posted by: Michele at July 24, 2009 12:54 PM

I can't believe how big Owen is!!! What a gorgeous kid you got there.

Amy W. parfume? Indeed so many jokes, I don't know where to begin!

Hypothetical... even though I can think of a few, all before I met my husband.. I don't want to change of thing because I'm afraid that would mean I'd never met him and have the wonderful family we have now.

Posted by: Nadine at July 24, 2009 2:14 PM

I'm still a jealous that you got an advanced copy of the Chelsea Cain. Grrrrr...

I've been reading all the Harry Bosch series. Almost in order.

Posted by: Jodi at July 24, 2009 3:41 PM

The moment I want back is the first time I laid eyes on my son. I recall it with great detail but it's my happy place and I wish I could relive it.

Posted by: Kristy at July 24, 2009 4:51 PM

I would have bought the fucking ticket when I had first intended even if I had just gotten laid off so I could have seen her one more time.

Finally flew out on the plane they brought her body home on because I'm a fucking chickenshit missed seeing one of my best friends. Missed her funeral, too.

I hate myself sometimes.

Posted by: alektra at July 24, 2009 8:14 PM

One moment I would like back: when my Dad told me we could leave before anyone would know at my first wedding. I said no...looking back I would've taken him up on it and left. My family and friends might've wondered what happened at first, but I found out later none of them liked the SOB anyway.

Posted by: Krush at July 24, 2009 8:40 PM

I have a really hard time with Rayne's voice. I find him whiny and I want to hit him. Though I like the Superman song there...

Posted by: Nat at July 24, 2009 8:50 PM

So "do over" in a REPLAY sort of manner??
Although I know everything I've done has brought me to this little antique telephone table that my laptop sits on, I would do over....
I would have allowed the 3 1/2 year relationship that was on a road to no where, to die the first time he decided the way to deal with an arguement was to not answer his phone, or my knock at his door begging him to open the door. He never had any intention of getting married to me which he proved quite well by getting engaged to his new girlfriend 2 months after we broke up.
My consolation? I got married one week before he did, their car broke down on the way to the reception and they were divorced a year and a half later. He's on his 3rd marriage, we have talked and laughed and he said until he married his current wife, he family always told him I was still their favorite. He said thankfully, his wife is now their favorite.

Posted by: NancyJ at July 24, 2009 9:00 PM

I am not sure I would do over any moments...I think every step I have taken has gotten me to where I am now and where I am now is better than pretty damn good (and I say that depsite my current personal sitch). I think you learn as you go and I wouldn't give up any of the experiences that have shaped the current me...That said...my future looks bright and I can't wait!

ps CUMIN? Really Chris??? Try Paprika next time. Or Cayenne.

Posted by: Country Girl at July 25, 2009 12:32 AM

Well, I'm going to be greedy and ask for two do-overs - I'd love to have the last few minutes with each of my parents back, not to say anything different, just because I miss them both and would sell my soul for a couple of minutes more with them.

Posted by: LaineyDid at July 25, 2009 12:22 PM

Those moments are burned on my brain and I guess I have a slew to choose from, but none are too horrible.

My first kiss was a mess, and I wish I could go back and re-do that one.

Posted by: Brad at July 27, 2009 9:48 AM

Next time you decide to risk a Dean Koontz book try Life Expectancy. The dialogue and some of the situations were just so bizarre that I laugh every time I think of it. It was a great mixture of suspense and comedy.

Posted by: Jennifer at July 27, 2009 2:55 PM

Actually Chris, I think you were too generous with the latest Dean Koontz book. I keep picking up his books because some of his early works were so good. Lately he seems to be phoning it in. The whole super-smart kid and weird dog was all fine and good (if a little hard to believe), but glossing over how the antagonist was able to do what he was doing was unforgivable. I really think this was the worst Koontz book I have ever read, and I've read nearly all of them.

And cumin? Rocks with chicken.

As far as the do-over, I don't think I would change anything. I would be too concerned that a small "correction" would have far reaching consequences and my life would be totally different than it is today.

Posted by: Amy at July 29, 2009 11:50 AM

If you are willing to buy real estate, you would have to get the home loans. Furthermore, my mother always uses a credit loan, which is really rapid.

Posted by: ALFORD26KARA at September 13, 2010 6:31 AM