July 31, 2009

The Weeklies #95

The Weekly Beer. Red Hook ESB

The Weekly Viral Ad. Aspray Body Deodorant

The Weekly Viral Video. This is all kinds of awesome and very well might make your day.

The Weekly Read. John Sandford can do no wrong. I'm convinced. I don't know of too many authors who have such a steady, voluminous, and consistently good output of novels. Heat Lightning - the second in Sandford's Virgil Flowers series - is no exception. You don't need me rehashing the plot for you. Suffice it to say that it's just a damn fine book. If you haven't yet discovered Sandford, what are you waiting for?

The Weekly Time Waster. Push.

The Weekly Dose of Political Heroism. This, from Tennessee Republican Senator Lamar Alexander - "Even though Judge Sotomayor's political and judicial philosophy may be different than mine, especially regarding Second Amendments rights, I will vote to confirm her because she is well qualified by experience, temperament, character and intellect to serve. In the same way, it is my hope that my vote now not only will help to confirm a well-qualified nominee but will help to return the Senate to the practice, only recently lost, of inquiring diligently into qualifications of a nominee and then accepting that elections have consequences, one of which is to confer upon the president the constitutional right to nominate justices." Word, man. Word.

The Weekly Great Merged Company Names. Winhoo, to signify the recent partnership between Microsoft and Yahoo.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Rodell Vereen was just trying to let off a little steam. Unfortunately, the South Carolinian chose to do so by, well, doing the horizontal mambo with a horse. He was busted by the horse's owner who thought Vereen looked a little familiar. Turns out he was the same guy who'd been busted last year. For screwing another of her horses.

The Weekly Hypothetical. The most fun you can have without getting arrested or losing your life is _______________. Fill in the blank.

Posted by Chris at July 31, 2009 6:48 AM
Comments

The most fun you can have without getting arrested or losing your life is Go on a cruise. The places you go, the people you meet, the things that you do, are so much fun it should be illegal. Of course all you need is TIME and CASH.

Posted by: Maribeth at July 31, 2009 6:58 AM

Good for Alexander! Definitely more attention should be paid to qualification than political orientation!

Posted by: Heather at July 31, 2009 7:22 AM

Totally agree about Push. Waste.

Love the wedding video - how cute! Here is one that my son (Chris) and his ROTC friends made for their graduation banquet. I thought it was funny because his complaint always as an office is that he gets stuck in the office making copies.

Posted by: Debbie at July 31, 2009 7:39 AM

Weekly Viral Video: It made my day. Thank you.

Weekly Hypothetical: I'm so tired right now that the only thing I can think of to fill in the blank is "sleep."

Posted by: MariaV at July 31, 2009 7:57 AM

You know, I just don't have words to describe my reaction to the Aspray ad. Gag and retch might work, but somethin' is still missing!

I liked your political heroism quote. Way to step up Mr. Alexander! (Having lived in Alabama for 10 years I know how much a statement like that could cost him.)

The most fun you can have without getting arrested or losing your life is listening to your children play when they do not know you are listening. Damn, they can be so cute it brings tears to my eyes!

Happy weekend Chris.

Posted by: Elizabeth at July 31, 2009 8:27 AM

Lamar Alexander is one Republican I would be comfortable voting for. Richard Lugar is another one. I'd love to see a little civility returned to the Senate, but I'm not holding my breath.

Posted by: COD at July 31, 2009 8:56 AM

Sandford and Deaver, those are the two that never let me down. Fun, fast, easy reads that sometimes is an absolute requirement to get through a week. :D Haven't picked up Sandford's new series though. Will have to look into that.

Posted by: patricia at July 31, 2009 9:04 AM

Don't you just LOVE that wedding video????? Such total joy!!

Posted by: Dawn at July 31, 2009 9:51 AM

I bet that horse needs therapy.

Seriously, thats beyond disgusting.

Posted by: jessica at July 31, 2009 10:07 AM

LOVE IT.

I posted the wedding dance link on my facebook hoping my sister would see it - she is getting married in two months and I'm her matron of awesome. I would LOVE to do that. Seriously. But I think her fiance would sooner crawl in a hole full of bees.

Posted by: Sarah at July 31, 2009 10:10 AM

omg, those poor horses!!

Posted by: kati at July 31, 2009 10:10 AM

Oh come on - shouldn't the beer have been Bud Lite?

Posted by: Heather at July 31, 2009 12:53 PM

Wow, so far these aren't such fun answers! Everybody is different, anyway. I, personally, would die of boredom on a cruise, unless I was tasked with trying to have fun ironically.

My most fun thing would be dancing until dawn with my hubby, Girltalk DJ-ing, in a club packed with sweaty hipsters. But I already did that, so it's not hypothetical. Maybe criss-crossing Rome on a late-night treasure hunt, amply fortified with Chianti? Playing basketball with Barack Obama AND Sarah Palin? Riding increasingly wild roller coasters nonstop all day?

Posted by: Laura at July 31, 2009 1:50 PM

Most recently, we had ridiculous fun on our family vacation watching home movies my brother made mostly on his own nearly 15 years ago (he was 14 at the time). The guy was a comic genius, but had been too embarrassed to let anyone see them all these years. OMG - laughed our asses off, and not at all at his expense. He ended up watching and laughing with us. Not likely anyone else would have that much fun, but it was the most fun we'd had in a while.

With the exception of Korean karaoke ... that was a totally legal, relatively safe crazy-fun time!

Posted by: kate at July 31, 2009 3:19 PM

My weekly beer is the Long Hammer IPA. MMMMMMMM tasty

Also have you seen the divorce - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbr2ao86ww0

Posted by: DCUrbanDad at July 31, 2009 3:51 PM

I can't believe no one has said this yet:

The most fun you can have without getting arrested or losing your life is sex (provided you aren't having sex with STD-carrying hobos that is).

Posted by: Rengirl at July 31, 2009 4:27 PM

Viral video was awesome. Seriously made my day in a much needed way. Most fun without prison or death? Sex. Altough clearly not with horses because as Mr. Vereen has shown us, the end result there is prison. If not sex, I'd settle for another beer-soaked afternoon on the Lake. Because that was fun.

Posted by: Country Girl at July 31, 2009 5:35 PM

The most fun you can have without getting arrested or losing your life is cruising the Caribbean on the Disney Magic! I love the evening shows, the sea breeze and drinks brought to me in my lounge chair. You and Beth should take the kids one day!

Posted by: Tess at July 31, 2009 8:51 PM

Yay! Redhood ESB is from my very own hometown! That is all. :)

Posted by: Granola Spice at August 1, 2009 3:12 AM

Reading Rude Cactus of course. Is there a prize?

Posted by: Loth at August 1, 2009 5:26 PM

The weekly beer: I had a Chimay white and a Chimay blue weekend before last, none this past weekend. I have concluded that white is my favorite, then blue. Red is not my favorite in any way.

I am going to vote that anything with my man or my furry kids is the most fun I can have. Monster Truck races this past weekend was pretty fun... and totally legal.

Posted by: Poppy at August 3, 2009 9:53 PM

'That fuckin' Flowers!' hee. Loved the first Flowers book, will jump right on getting hold of the second one. Am rereading "Secret Prey" right now, as I haven't been to the library in a while. I love Sanford too.

Posted by: alison at August 4, 2009 1:29 PM