August 3, 2009

Deluxe Apartment Playset In The Sky

And it's up.

playset.finally.sm.jpg

Somehow, for some reason it took three men around 14 hours (42 combined) to get it done but, when they finally got through dicking around with us, it all came together nicely. Sure, they had to work well into the darkness but I'm afraid that I don't feel all that sorry for them. And it would appear as if two of the dudes had to give up a day of pot smoking in order to accomplish said construction with a marginal amount of sobriety but, again, not sorry.

We have a little bit to do before it's 100% done. Like dump a truckload of mulch around it and also find a little place to put Mia's playhouse which took up residence on our deck last summer. We kinda feel like the kids will get a lot of use out of this for a long time. They can play on it now, chill out alone with friends when they're older and pout and hide when they're inevitably moody teenagers. It's only been up for a few days but they already love it. And they damn well better. This hasn't exactly been the cheapest idea we've ever had.

Now, do you think they'll appreciate this outpouring of parental generosity enough to, you know, sleep?

(Oh, and good morning. How were your weekends?)

Posted by Chris at August 3, 2009 6:37 AM
Comments

Totally awesome!
I remember my neighbor, Becky had something like this when I was a kid and I just about lived at her house! I think I loved it more than she did!
Anyway, it was well used and well loved all during our childhoods.
My weekend? Exhausting. I've had company now for 2 weeks (staying with me)and I am tied. I just want to vegetate and not cook three meals a day.
Hubby puts up with a lot. I'm not Martha Stewart and somehow when I have guests I sort of become her.
It's Terrible!!!

Posted by: Maribeth at August 3, 2009 6:56 AM

Wow, very cool playset. I'm sure you'll get years of use out of it. My younger kids just stopped using their playset and they're 12. We're planning on taking it down this summer, but we're dragging our feet because it's kind of sad. Enjoy it while you can. It goes too fast.

Posted by: Carolyn at August 3, 2009 7:07 AM

I want one!!!!

Seriously. I stopped growing when I was 12, and I'm tall for a woman, so I had to give stuff like climbing frames up waaaay too early. They need to make taller ones for bigger kids and grown-ups.

The one you put up looks gorgeous. That little balcony will have a myriad of uses.

Posted by: Kat at August 3, 2009 7:38 AM

Does it have a place to stash cigarettes and old playboy magazines...you know for when the boy is older.

Posted by: William at August 3, 2009 8:12 AM

WOW! You didn't do it justice when you describe it. THAT is all kinds of awesome!

Posted by: js at August 3, 2009 8:28 AM

i like that you willing acknowledge that it was not a cheap undertaking.
they will love it. probably not for as long as you would like, but a few good years.

Posted by: ann at August 3, 2009 9:04 AM

That's AWESOME!
I think they will enjoy that for a long long time.

Posted by: NancyJ at August 3, 2009 9:19 AM

Along with it's many other features, it looks like a great fort.

Posted by: cassie-b at August 3, 2009 9:26 AM

no wonder you didn't feel the need to put it together yourself. wish we had the space for such a deluxe apartment in the sky! have fun mia and owen.

Posted by: Tera at August 3, 2009 10:02 AM

Wow, that is beautiful! It makes me mighty jealous, you know, for my kids, not for me ;). I'd still be playing on it, so hopefully they get many years of use!

Our weekend was pretty boring other than a round of minigolf where I was chief-errant-ball-fetcher. Who knew the kids could hit the ball so far??

Posted by: Elizabeth at August 3, 2009 10:08 AM

Holy moley! That is one huge architectural wonder. You could get your money back by charging the neighborhood kids admission. :-)

Posted by: Sandy at August 3, 2009 10:15 AM

It looks good! I am postive the kids will enjoy it for many years!

Posted by: Trisha at August 3, 2009 10:17 AM

It looks good! I am postive the kids will enjoy it for many years!

Posted by: Trisha at August 3, 2009 10:17 AM

It looks good! I am postive the kids will enjoy it for many years!

Posted by: Trisha at August 3, 2009 10:18 AM

It looks good! I am postive the kids will enjoy it for many years!

Posted by: Trisha at August 3, 2009 10:18 AM

It looks good! I am postive the kids will enjoy it for many years!

Posted by: Trisha at August 3, 2009 10:18 AM

WOW. My 3-year-old would DIE to have something like that. Good work! I'm sure the kids will love it.

Posted by: Amy at August 3, 2009 10:22 AM

I want one. For me.

Posted by: oakley at August 3, 2009 10:46 AM

That is an AWESOME playhouse!!!

Posted by: Zandria at August 3, 2009 10:46 AM

Wow, that is one cool fun swingset. I think I'm jealous :-)

Posted by: diane at August 3, 2009 10:50 AM

I want a playset like that! It's gorgeous!

You can never move now, not even if you wanted to.

Posted by: jessica at August 3, 2009 12:04 PM

That is the most awesome playset ever!

Posted by: Heather at August 3, 2009 1:03 PM

Wow! Great job, Chris! We had always meant to do one of those for Jake but we ended up moving, and then it was too expensive, and then our yard was too small, and now he's 13 and wears size 11 shoes.

Where does the time go?

:) Hope they have years of fun out of it.

Posted by: Scattered Mom at August 3, 2009 1:49 PM

That is the best backyard swingset ever!!

Posted by: Adi at August 3, 2009 1:54 PM

Like I told Beth, that thing is pretty swank! ;) I hope they pay you back in sleep, that'd be sweet heh.

Posted by: Heather at August 3, 2009 7:24 PM

So, are you going to use the rubber mulch rather than the wood?? http://www.rubbermulch.com/playground.htm I can totally see the green rubber mulch blending in with the grass around it. (obviously you have to contain it in some way -- check the rubber curb section)

Posted by: coolchick at August 3, 2009 8:26 PM

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! It's GORGEOUS!

Posted by: Poppy at August 3, 2009 9:34 PM

How is Owen doing with it? Does he climb all the way to the top on his own? The hubs and I were just talking about getting something like that. My kids are similar to yours in age, and I'm kind of worried about my little guy climbing up and trying to jump off. At 20 months, he's quite the daredevil on the playground equipment at the park.

Posted by: Steph at August 3, 2009 11:21 PM

Dude. Mine is only slightly less complex, but it took me weeks. Seriously. Weeks of working on it during both weekend days and nights after my day job. The fact that you paid to have it done in 14 hours is smart. So, despite the hefty price, I want you to know it is totally worth it.

Posted by: Brad at August 6, 2009 1:24 PM

I think that structure might have more square footage than my house. Impressive.

Remember those rickety metal ones we had as kids... amazing we didn't drop dead for the danger.

Posted by: Nat at August 17, 2009 6:53 PM