August 18, 2009

A Tale of Two Penises

Owen loves food - he loves blueberries, milk, Cheerios, Indian food (specifically samosas), spaghetti and tofu (seriously). Owen loves all animals but has a special fondness for dogs and cats. Owen loves his mom and his dad but goes ga-ga over his sister. Owen loves Blues Clues and Backyardigans. Owen loves to dance. Owen loves to perform death-defying maneuvers which scare his parents whenever possible. But more than any of these things, Owen loves Hibaby.

Owen was, at one point, insanely jealous of Mia's dolls. He'd find one, grab it and run off with it to hug it or kiss it or try to feed it raisins. This made Mia seethe with anger even though she only became interested in it after Owen showed interest. We decided that Owen needed a baby doll of his own. Beth ordered one, it arrived, and the second it was removed from the box Owen was in love. He yelled hi baby and waved, then sprinted and plucked it from Beth's arms. And ever since that fateful day, the doll has been dubbed Hibaby.

oman_and_hibaby1.jpg

Hibaby is a constant companion. He eats with us frequently, accompanies us on car rides and is without fail a bedtime companion. Hibaby is lavished with kisses and frequently stripped naked. Owen loves to be naked and thinks everyone should be too. It was during this first foray into Hibaby nudity that we discovered two things:

Thing 1: Hibaby is anatomically correct.
Thing 2: Hibaby is hung.

hibaby.jpg
So now Owen is obsessed with two penises. Hibaby's and his own.

Did you have a favorite toy as a kid? What possession did you most love?

Posted by Chris at August 18, 2009 6:24 AM
Comments

Big Dolly. Probably pronounced more like "bigdolly" but you get the idea. :)

Posted by: Hannah at August 18, 2009 7:10 AM

OMG. He is just too cute! Ok, um, I applaud you for allowing your son to have hibaby. My nephew coveted the twin's dolls and soft stuffed animals when he was that age, so I bought him a boy doll and a stufffed buddy. Which my brother promptly put in the closet and I believe threw away. He said that no boy of his was going to play with a doll. Not even a boy doll. Which is a shame, if you ask me.

And your post just proves that Owen is a normal little guy. Right? I don't have boys, so I am assuming here.

Posted by: Theresa at August 18, 2009 7:12 AM

Mine was a rabbit called Baby Noun, I still have her. I think I was given her when I was about 2, and asked what a rabbit was, some smartarse said 'a noun', so she became Baby Noun. Baby Noun was married to a dog pyjama case from a junk shop called Sarah Willy (not sure if willy is also slang for penis in the US like it is here), he was a male despite his first name. Any stuffed toy I owned that was smaller than them became their children. We moved house when I was 9 and my mum took the opportunity to 'lose' Sarah Willy. He was pretty manky.

Posted by: Katherine at August 18, 2009 7:37 AM

Mine was the Weebuls Tree House and my big wheel that got handed down to me from my cousin Toby. LOVED BOTH!!!

Posted by: Dee at August 18, 2009 7:43 AM

Love it.
My favorite toy was my Barbie Dolls. I could play with them for hours and pretend I was in another world.

Posted by: Maribeth at August 18, 2009 7:50 AM

So cute! And I mean Owen and Hibaby. Elliot loves stuffed animals, but neither of my kids is really into dolls. I tried getting Charlotte a doll but she had no interest in it. She doesn't really liked stuffed animals either. Go figure.

I had a doll named Pinky. She was one of those dolls with the plastic face and hands, but the rest of her was cloth and she was stuffed like a bean bag. I loved that doll even though the fingers on one hand got chopped off by a suitcase (kind of ironic given her name!). She got lost at some point on a cross-country trip of Canada. I never got into dolls again after that.

Posted by: Elizabeth at August 18, 2009 8:14 AM

I think everyone should be naked as well.

Posted by: William at August 18, 2009 8:26 AM

I had a Mrs. Beasley doll....actually I STILL have a Mrs. Beasley doll.

Posted by: daisy at August 18, 2009 8:45 AM

whoooboy. my parents were geniuses and gave me a living, breathing kitten at the ripe old age of 4 to keep alive. i did a fairly good job of it as she lived to be 13 years old when she finally passed. but this cat? let me do ANYTHING to her. i played veterinarian and would shove catfood down her throat one little niblet at a time claiming it was her "pills." i also dressed her in my baby doll clothes and put her in a stroller and walked her up and down the driveway. imagine my surprise when my grandmother got me a chicken a few years later. chickens? not so much fun to dress up.

Posted by: SUPAHMAMA! at August 18, 2009 9:05 AM

If you use blog titles like that, your email notifications are going to keep getting stuck in my spam filter. :)

Posted by: Gayle at August 18, 2009 10:02 AM

I want to give you guys props for getting him his own doll instead of trying to force more "masculine" toys at him. So many parents, especially fathers, would be really disturbed by the doll. I'm glad to see you guys remain sane and awesome. My friend's son had a few dolls when he was little, and he tried to nurse them when my friend had her second baby. It was hilarious.

I was enamored with Barbie and GI Joe as a child. And Legos. My brother and I would set up some pretty epic GI Joe battles in our living room, because my brother had pretty much every piece of GI Joe stuff available (and he was nice enough to let me play along). And I think my storytelling/creativity is due in large part to my Barbies. It sounds silly but it's true. I had some truly prolific plot lines lol

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at August 18, 2009 10:04 AM

I had a Popples. (Well I still have him, but I don't take him out of the drawer much now that I have a husband to snuggle!)

Posted by: AP at August 18, 2009 10:12 AM

Do you mind telling us what kind of doll it is? I'm dying of curiosity, and my son is a doll guy, too. Could be just the doll to freak my husband out. ;)

Posted by: Violet at August 18, 2009 10:20 AM

My favorite toy as a kid was my penis. Still is. I take that thing everywhere with me. We're inseparable.

Actually, Legos. And Lincoln Logs. I was constantly building shit. I loved that stuff. If you put me in a room full of Legos or Lincoln Logs now, you can pretty much write off the entire day, because I won't leave. I'd be happy as a clam. If you threw in a keg, well, I'd probably cry a few happy tears.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at August 18, 2009 10:23 AM

Penises didn't exist when I was a kid, so I didn't have a favourite toy.

When I got a little older, I'd have to say my Meccano set.

Posted by: harmzie at August 18, 2009 12:18 PM

Our 2 year old has a baby doll we call his "man doll." However, it does not have a penis. Where did you order that from? Secondly, LOVE the shirt he has on (I have this strange obsession with little boy clothing that have skulls on them). Where did you get that?

Posted by: Sarah at August 18, 2009 1:11 PM

Cute.

I had a blanky. It was hand-crocheted by a great aunt or something. Super soft. Loved it.

Posted by: Brad at August 18, 2009 1:20 PM

LMAO...luv the doll I had Archie Bunker's grandson, Joey, and yes he had a lil willy.....still have him somewhere here in a box...my son, now 17 had no interest in him...believe me I tried...would have gave dear ol dad a lil heart attack.....hehehe

Posted by: roberta at August 18, 2009 5:39 PM

I love Owen.

Posted by: cassie-b at August 18, 2009 7:08 PM

Is Owen at the stage where he stretched his penis out?

As a kid... I was rather fond of my barbie, and she used to get a big white wedding. My grandmother made me the dress out of remnants from a dress she'd made moons ago. Then Ken got a tux. Freaking fabulous...

I lost interest in Ken pdq... he's not anatomically correct.

Posted by: Nat at August 18, 2009 7:42 PM

I'm dying to know what kind of google hits will bring people to this post.

Posted by: jessica at August 19, 2009 11:24 AM

Ha ha ha!! Drew is overly obsessed with his penis as well. I try to ignore most of it as I figure it's the lack of males around (other then his dad) that are causing this need to announce to the world he"s a boy.. Looks see! LOL! Being surrounded by women can't be easy for a five year old. lol

Posted by: Tammy at August 21, 2009 12:23 AM

Is hibaby hung or is he just uncirc'ed?

At any rate, TOO CUTE.

Posted by: Sabrina at August 21, 2009 9:30 AM

I think that to receive the mortgage loans from creditors you ought to have a great motivation. Nevertheless, one time I've got a college loan, just because I was willing to buy a bike.

Posted by: JudithMason at August 13, 2011 6:09 AM

Quelqu'un peut-il me dire comment obtenir les avatars peu à montrer dans ma section des commentaires? merci!sadf

Posted by: Lancel at November 18, 2011 4:32 AM