August 7, 2009

The Weeklies #96

The Weekly Commodity In Short Supply. Sleep.

The Weekly Thing That Scares The Shit Out Of Me But Also Makes Me Laugh In An Awkward Kinda Way. The Kate Gosselin Halloween costume.

The Weekly Time Waster. Do you Twitter? Tired of seeing the "fail whale"? Now you can waste it in Die Fail Whale.

The Weekly TV Addiction. So You Think You Can Dance. And don't you even consider telling me who won last night. I've got it TiVoed and will be watching it tonight with the enthusiasm of a 12 year old girl at a Miley Cyrus concert.

The Weekly Read. Seven or eight years ago, I picked up a copy of Carter Beats The Devil. Guess what? I finally got around to reading it! Was it worth the wait? Oh hell yes. Carter Beats The Devil is one of those books you can just get lost in. It's so deeply woven, richly detailed and, more than anything, a lot of fun. Gold's style lends itself to the time period - the early 1900's - but doesn't try too hard or sound in any way contrived. He also provided a seamless blend between historical fact and fiction which was compelling and forced me to do some research myself out of curiosity. It's been a long time since I've read something this epic, this rich.

The Weekly Music. You've probably never heard of The Morning Benders, but you have to love their name. Their most recent album, Talking Through Tin Cans isn't bad either. It's the kind of great, low-key feel-good indie music that makes people who never existed in the 60's say it's got a really 60's vibe. The music is strong - not very tight but not lo-fi or cobbled together - and the lyrics are fun and smart.

The Weekly Awesome Advertisement. Snuggies...for dogs.

The Weekly Anti-Schadenfreude. Yeah, that's right - this week? Good news. Bill Clinton is still a rock star. On Tuesday, he swooped into North Korea and somehow secured the release of the two American journalists held for the past five months.

The Weekly Quote. You see us as you want to see us - in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. You see us as a brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess and a criminal. Correct? That's the way we saw each other at 7:00 this morning. We were brainwashed. Rest in peace John Hughes.

Posted by Chris at August 7, 2009 7:07 AM
Comments

i LOVE the weeklies. have a great weekend!

Posted by: coral at August 7, 2009 7:12 AM

"When you don't have anything, you don't have anything to lose. Right?" (Sixteen Candles)

Great movies - have a super weekend!

Posted by: Debbie at August 7, 2009 7:32 AM

Long Duck Dong hanging off a toilet papered tree!

Posted by: Maribeth at August 7, 2009 7:46 AM

Please, please, please let us (well, me) know what you think of the results from SYTYCD. I've been hooked for ever. I'm not ashamed.

Posted by: Melissa at August 7, 2009 7:47 AM

I fully expect a post with your reactions to the SYTYCD finale results. I won't tell you who won, but I will say I was disappointed. Edge of your seat anticipation!

And oh John Hughes. Such a loss.

Posted by: Kate at August 7, 2009 8:28 AM

What a sad day. John Hughes, you played an indelible role in my formative years. You will be missed and remembered.

Posted by: at August 7, 2009 8:46 AM

Posted by: at August 7, 2009 8:48 AM

I started reading Carter Beats the Devil about 5 1/2 years ago. I loved it. Then half way through it I had a kid and I never go back to it. Now I need to see if I dig it out of the box it is in.

Posted by: William at August 7, 2009 9:33 AM

First off, the Breakfast Club was my all-time favorite movie when I was younger.

And the dog snuggie - my friend does something in Denver that's called the "snug run" - I guess it has something to do with a bar or something. But I joke they run in snuggies. So when I saw this ad earlier, I just had to send it to her! It's priceless!

Posted by: Heather at August 7, 2009 9:44 AM

Crap. So many other people should've died from heart attacks other than John Hughes.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at August 7, 2009 9:52 AM

I definitely cried when I heard about John Hughes. The Breakfast Club is my absolute favorite movie of all time, and I am totally obsessed with the Brat Pack.

"Oh, he's very popular Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

Posted by: Rachel at August 7, 2009 10:28 AM

I LOVE the dog Snuggie! Although I image it's not especially warm. But I've never felt one.

And oh...that wig...

Posted by: Rachel at August 7, 2009 11:04 AM

Have you seen this blog post yet? John Hughes was this woman's pen pal when she was in high school. Really moving tribute to him:

Posted by: erin at August 7, 2009 11:15 AM

Got an album for you to listen to.....Two Tongues. It is Max Bemis from Say Anything and Chris Conley from Saves the Day. I don't personally like Chris' voice so much, but they pull this album off rather well together. Check out the songs "Wowee Zowee," "If I Could Make You Do Things," and "Don't You Want To Come Home." This album isn't mind-blowing or anything earth shattering, but it feels like I found a hidden song on Side B, if you know what I mean.

Posted by: Jen at August 7, 2009 11:57 AM

Snuggie for dogs huh?
Am I just blind or do we just call that a dang dog coat??

Posted by: Rose Winters at August 7, 2009 12:02 PM

I love SYTYCD... I really do. I was less than enthused after Janette left. However... did I hear a new season on Sept. 2.

Posted by: Nat at August 7, 2009 2:22 PM

What would we do without Bill? And don't get me started about Cat Deeley.

Posted by: DCUrbanDad at August 7, 2009 5:00 PM

I actually just watched The Breakfast Club for the first time the other night. Now I'm glad I did so I could recognize the quote ;)

Posted by: Heather at August 7, 2009 7:30 PM

AH! My favorite part of The Breakfast Club. And how true is that... "You see us as you want to see us - in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions."

Posted by: Emily at August 10, 2009 11:54 AM

Make your own life time more easy take the home loans and everything you want.

Posted by: Hatfield31Marjorie at November 20, 2011 5:22 PM