August 28, 2009

The Weeklies #99

The Weekly Ice Cream. Ben & Jerry's Key Lime Pie.

The Weekly Loss. When my clock radio went off on Wednesday morning, I heard the voice of Ted Kennedy. I hit snooze, rolled over, then thought Ted Kennedy died. Why else would I be hearing his voice so early in the morning? Sadly, I was right. Regardless of your political persuasion, we lost a good guy this week and I'm deeply saddened by that loss.

The Weekly Scariest Product. Canned tactical bacon (TacBac). Canned bacon with a 10-year shelf life cannot be right.

The Weekly Time Waster. I'll just apologize now, in advance, for Must Pop Words.

The Weekly Music. Instead of an album, let's talk about live music. Beth and I went to see the Black Crowes on Tuesday night. It was an interesting show. Sometime over the last several years, the Crowes have transformed themselves from tight rock outfit to noodly backwoods rock and roll. That's not a bad thing. In fact, they were pretty damn good. Nearly every song was accentuated with a groove-heavy jam. It was unfocused but funky, fun to watch and listen to. So long as you weren't expecting them to actually play anything you recognized. We were a little disappointed that we were treated to only two or three of their traditional rock and roll barn burners. But the band sounded great. Lead singer Chris Robinson was awesome but brother - and supposed guitar god - Rich seemed bored, playing rhythm guitar much of the night while leaving the soloing up to Luther Dickinson who is a monster guitarist. Overall, good show, just not quite what we or, apparently, the crowd expected.

The Weekly Read. Despite the fact that I fed myself a steady diet of sci-fi when I was a kid, it's been a long time since I've read any. After reading a few reviews of John Scalzi's Old Man's War, I decided I'd pick it up. When the hell, right? I'm really, truly glad that I did. It was a fun, exceptionally written novel that reminded me of all the great old-school sci-fi novels I devoured as a kid. I immediately bought the second book in the series.

The Weekly Guilty TV Pleasure. Design Star.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. While performing in Romania, Madonna stuck up for gypsies and promptly got booed. The schadenfreude isn't so much about Madonna getting booed. I just feel sorry for the poor bastards who went to see her. Have you seen her lately? Scary. In related news, several people were recently kicked out of Britney Spears' Madison Square Garden show for - get this - "dancing provocatively". I'm sure this when down while Britney herself was shaking her ass in her corset and g-string. Hello, irony.

The Weekly Hypothetical. (Courtesy of Sarah via my Facebook group - you're a member, right?) If you had to describe yourself in terms of a pair of underwear, what kind would you be?

Posted by Chris at August 28, 2009 6:04 AM
Comments

My opinion may not matter in the mass of opinions, but Kennedy was a career politician. I'm not a fan of any career politician.

Posted by: Knot at August 28, 2009 7:36 AM

Old Reliable! Cotton, soft and comfy!

Posted by: Maribeth at August 28, 2009 7:49 AM

I would be a pair of boyshorts, no matter if they are cotton or lacy they are super comfortable and make your bum look magnificent!

I wasn't so much a fan of Kennedy due to his politics or you know that whole leaving a woman to die thing when he was old enough to know better. But he died of the same type of cancer that took my aunt and it is not a fun thing to go through or to witness. So I am hoping he is resting in peace after that.

Posted by: Dee at August 28, 2009 7:58 AM

Definitely cotton bikini briefs in plain boring colors. Old, a little worn around the edges, not quite as elastic as they used to be, but familiar and comfortable.

Of all the people who have died this summer, Ted Kennedy is the only one who's passing really made me sad. Why now when things might actually be looking up (politically) for the people that he fought so hard for?

Posted by: Elizabeth at August 28, 2009 8:27 AM

Cotton bikini briefs: not briefy enough to be old lady but far from trendy and oh, so comfortable.

Also? I'm pretty much in love with design star though I will never understand the pink ducks.

Posted by: Emily at August 28, 2009 9:06 AM

I thought the pink ducks were genius. I mourn the loss of Senator Kennedy; he was a great statesman and the senate will not be the same without him, nor will our country. Me? Definitely grannie pants.

Posted by: Pat at August 28, 2009 9:39 AM

Canned bacon. I don't know if I should be horrified or happy!

Posted by: Trisha at August 28, 2009 9:53 AM

Canned bacon. I don't know if I should be horrified or happy!

Posted by: Trisha at August 28, 2009 9:53 AM

I was sad when I heard about Ted Kennedy. I think more for the way he died and for the fact that the Kennedy's are dwindling quickly and that family has had a major role in American politics for years.

Hypothetical: String bikini--sexy, yet comfortable

Posted by: Krush at August 28, 2009 10:04 AM

Hypothetical: String bikini--sexy, yet comfortable

Posted by: Krush at August 28, 2009 10:04 AM

I've also felt sadness at Ted Kennedy's passing. Regardless of the family's personal failings, I've always been impressed by their dedication to serve. Their awareness that their privileged positions oblige them to do more for the people around them.

I dig Design Star too. But I dig Mad Men more, so I've missed the last few weeks.

Panties - boy shorts or thong, depending on the mood, but always in La Perla, ;-) And I've already got a fantastic a$$. lol

Posted by: varinia at August 28, 2009 10:08 AM

"Regardless of your political persuasion, we lost a good guy this week"
I have to respectfully disagree. We actually lost a self-serving murderer this week, and I can only pray now that he will be rightfully punnished for his horrendous actions.
On a lighter note, I want Dan to win Design Star, he is the only one with talent AND a television personality (plus he is darn cute).

Posted by: Tess at August 28, 2009 11:00 AM

Canned Bacon...If I show this to my husband, he'll buy it to put it next to the baconnaise (http://www.baconnaise.com/) and the bacon salt (http://store.baconsalt.com/). I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing!

Posted by: cyndy at August 28, 2009 11:05 AM

Boxer briefs: Supportive, but not restrictive.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at August 28, 2009 11:46 AM

Ted Kennedy: Great man. My Place of Employment declined to lower the flags in his honor because the President had not issued an edict to do so. The fuckin' AUTO MALL has lowered their flags, but not us. Fuckin' A.

In terms of underwear, well, I'd have to go with those girly boxer-briefs. I'm kind of like that. I'm a man's woman: in touch with my masculine side, can talk about cars and stuff like that. But I'm a sexy thing and like to get my girl on.

Wow, isn't that just TMI for the internet.

Posted by: Brooke Habecker at August 28, 2009 11:48 AM

Ever had Ben & Jerry's ONE Cheesecake Brownie ice cream? BEST EVER. And proceeds go to...feed the homeless or something.

Posted by: kalisa at August 28, 2009 12:30 PM

Cotton, high-cut, pretty colors, not new but far from worn out. The pair you reach for when you're looking for the best fitting, most comfy pair.

Your damn games are going to be the death of my job! Love them!

Posted by: zanie at August 28, 2009 12:35 PM

I'd be "boy shorts" (see "girlie boxer briefs" above). Utilitarian and hot at the same time.

We took my 9 year old daughter to AC/DC last week and it was awesome. The paper gave it a five-star review, which I thought was a little generous, but only because the sound wasn't *perfect*, but it was a stadium show, so I should probably ease up a little. Awesome. They rocked OUT!

Posted by: harmzie at August 28, 2009 12:36 PM

My CNN Breaking News Desktop Alert is lame because I only see the first word of the news item. I saw "Senator" and for some reason thought Kennedy had died. I was right. Our lives would be a lot different (for the worse) IMO if he hadn't been a career politician.

Posted by: James Proffitt at August 28, 2009 1:39 PM

Ooooh, I'd be a pair of FANCY PANTS. Just kidding... I'd be a pair of cotton hipsters. Not as much coverage as a pair of briefs, waistband hits below the belly button but well above pubic area, doesn't ride up and hang out between your ass cheeks all day... comfortable and reliable! Oh, but I'd be in fun colors and patterns -- gotta have the personality showing a bit.

(If you're not aware of this style, just ask Beth.)

Posted by: ironic1 at August 28, 2009 6:18 PM

I cannot believe there's a B&Js key lime pie ice cream. I am seriously upset right now that I don't have a babysitter because I want to go out and buy some right now. GRRR.

Gabe is going to see the Crowes when they come to atlanta next month. maybe I should prepare him for a wee bit of disappointment...

Posted by: ali at August 28, 2009 8:32 PM

Madonna got booed twice I heard, the 2nd time was for sticking up for gay rights.

As far as the underwear, I'd be a thong of course.
I'll be up your ass until I get my way! LOL!

Have a great weekend guys!!

Posted by: Rose Winters at August 29, 2009 2:43 AM

Love the weekly time wasters feature. Please don't ever stop giving us those. I'm a fan of any word game, and this is no exception.

Underwear? Jockey for Her, cotton briefs, pink. Comfy, they don't ride you, just girly enough but extremely practical.

Posted by: coolchick at August 29, 2009 12:40 PM

My sister went to see Britney and complained that Brit lipsynced the whole show. I don't know what she was expecting either. Madonna... tres very scary. She paid to see her as well...

Hmmmm... I would like to be a loose fitting, carefree pair of boxers with smiley faces on them. I'm probably more of a plaid fannel pair though.

Posted by: Nat at August 29, 2009 8:47 PM

My fav time waster yet!

Posted by: Andrea at August 30, 2009 10:14 AM

I'm not American and I don't live in the States, so I can't really say what Ted Kennedy was like as a politician. What I can say, as a Brit (living in France, but British all the same) with friends who died in service in Northern Ireland in the 80s and 90s, is that Ted Kennedy was a fervent donor to the IRA and actively encouraged others to do the same. I have no sympathy for him today as his actions helped kill over 3,000 people in Britain and Northern Ireland. And no, it wasn't a "fight against the oppressive English". The story of Northern Ireland is more complex than that. But there's no doubt the IRA were TERRORISTS and they couldn't have done their "work" withouth the likes of Ted Kennedy. I'm not glad he's dead (I don't wish anyone dead), but I'm not sorry and I didn't respect him in any way at all.

Posted by: kirsty at August 31, 2009 1:22 PM

granny panties. with polka dots.

Posted by: Jodi at August 31, 2009 5:54 PM

If you want to buy a house, you will have to receive the mortgage loans. Moreover, my mother always utilizes a car loan, which supposes to be really reliable.

Posted by: Rosanna29ROBERSON at April 14, 2010 9:42 AM