September 1, 2009

Beginning of a Beautiful Friendship

On Saturday night, Beth and I found ourselves feeding Mia movie lines to recite. I have no idea why. But it was fun. Beth would come up with a line, whisper it in Mia's ear, and Mia would act it out knowing, of course, nothing about it's source. And it turns out that Beth and I know quite a few movie quotes. Here's what I can remember.

• Keymaster, you must chill.
  • Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.
  • Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get.
  • Play it again, Sam.
  • Frankly, my dear, I don't give a toot.
  • Go ahead, make my day.
  • We are the Knights who say... NI.
  • You had me at hello.
  • Here's looking at you kid.
  • May the force be with you.
  • You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me?
  • You think I'm licked. You all think I'm licked. Well, I'm not licked.
  • I'll be back.
  • Luke, I'm your father.
  • Stella!
  • Hasta la vista, baby.
  • They're here.
  • Sew, very old one! Sew like the wind!
  • Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of silly persons!
  • We are now the Knights who say... ”Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm.
  • Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.
  • I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
  • That's some bad hat, Harry.
  • Joe. She's written 65 songs... 65. They're all about you. They're all about pain.
  • Show me the money.
  • I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.
  • Awww... this is one of those days that the pages of history teach us are best spent lying in bed.
  • You must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest... WITH... A HERRING!
  • Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine.
  • You can't handle the truth.
  • In the world of advertising, there's no such thing as a lie. There's only expedient exaggeration.
  • Rosebud.
  • Adrian!
  • Wherever there is injustice, you will find us. Wherever there is suffering, we'll be there. Wherever liberty is threatened, you will find...The Three Amigos!
  • I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
  • He says he will sell you a blind camel. He says he also knows of a camel with a crippled leg and no teeth. Would you like a dead camel?

So, clearly, Beth and I have a basic familiarity with classic movies - you know, the standards like North By Northwest, Philadelphia Story, Rocky, Citizen Kane. And we noticed a definite trend towards your typical teen angst type of flicks - anything directed by John Hughes or containing Peter Gabriel on the soundtrack. Then, of course, there's my ridiculous since of humor as evidenced by The Three Amigos, Monty Python flicks and the under-appreciated Ishtar. I honestly couldn't get my kid to utter the phrase smell the glove. I don't know why.

What are your go-to movies? And your favorite movie quotes?

Posted by Chris at September 1, 2009 6:32 AM
Comments

*What we have here is a failure to communicate.
*I'll have what she's having...
*Go ahead, make my day!

Posted by: LaineyDid at September 1, 2009 7:39 AM

My top three movies are Momento, Lucky Number Sleven and Philadelphia. I like funny movies too, but these three are so well writen.
(Melvin to Carol in As Good as it Gets): "You make me want to be a better man."
(The Rabbi to Sleven in Lucky Number Sleven): "I live on both sides of the fence, my grass is always green".
(Jules to Vincent in Pulp Fiction): "Sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I won't eat the filthy ****"
There are loads more, but I think those are in my top ten.

Posted by: Tess at September 1, 2009 7:43 AM

My husband and I quote Steel Magnolias on a daily basis...there are so many good one liners in that movie that are so applicable to daily life. Jaws is another that we tend to fall back on, and Gone With The Wind of course.

Posted by: Lisa at September 1, 2009 7:54 AM

Good Will Hunting. When Harry Met Sally.

Those are my two favorites. And I quote them both liberally. Especially GWH when talking about my kids ("My girl's wicked 'smaht'" - I'm not from Boston, so it's kind of heinous when I do it).

But I quote from movies a lot - even movies I don't necessarily love. That's the way my brain goes.

Posted by: Sarah at September 1, 2009 8:40 AM

"These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know, morons!"

From Blazing Saddles. Cracks me up every time!

Posted by: Matthias at September 1, 2009 8:41 AM

I think I could quote every single line from "The Princess Bride." Though nowadays the lines I quote in daily speech are usually from "Family Guy" and I don't even realize I'm doing it.

Posted by: Leah at September 1, 2009 9:12 AM

It differs every minute, every day, but here's my top 5 favourite movie quotes of the moment (actually, six if you include the allusion in the title):

* You know what they call a Quater Pounder with Cheese in Paris? A Royal with Cheese.

* There's a shortage of perfect breasts in the world... would be a pity to damage yours.

* If come from inside you, always Right One.

* Of course I'm home. I'm always home. I'm uncool.

* Like the book says, you might be done with the past but the past isn't done with you!

Posted by: martin at September 1, 2009 9:39 AM

Certainly not appropriate for your game with Mia, because my line comes from Pulp Fiction. Oftentimes when my husband says something positive I reply with "Well, let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet."

Posted by: jacqueline at September 1, 2009 11:25 AM

Your first two make me want to genuflect at your feet. Say Anything and Bill and Ted's. I LOVE BILL AND TED'S!!!

Where's that "bad hat, Harry" line from? Some TV show (House?) has a production company called Bad Hat or something. I didn't know it was from a movie. I don't get out much.

Posted by: Brooke at September 1, 2009 11:43 AM

"I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore."

"After all, tomorrow is another day"

"We'll always have Paris" (or whatever location is appropriate.

"Round up the usual suspects" (said to my kids on many occasions)

And our family has said to each other in parting for many years now:

"I'll miss you most of all scarecrow."

I have many others but can't think of them.

Posted by: Ann Adams at September 1, 2009 11:50 AM

These are all awesome quotes. Let me see if I can identify all your quotes without a single google search. I’m thinking we have the same taste in movies.

•Keymaster, you must chill. – Say Anything
•Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K. – Bill & Ted
•Life is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're gonna get. – Forrest Gump
•Play it again, Sam. - Casablanca
•Frankly, my dear, I don't give a toot. – Are you censoring Gone With the Wind here, or is there some movie that actually requites this with the word “toot?”
•Go ahead, make my day. – Dirty Harry
•We are the Knights who say... NI. – Monty Python & Search for the Holy Grail
•You had me at hello. – Jerry McGuire
•Here's looking at you kid. - Casablanca
•May the force be with you. – Star Wars
•You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? – Taxi Driver
•You think I'm licked. You all think I'm licked. Well, I'm not licked.
•I'll be back. - Terminator
•Luke, I'm your father. – Star Wars
•Stella! – Streetcar Named Desire
•Hasta la vista, baby. - Terminator
•They're here. - Poltergeist
•Sew, very old one! Sew like the wind! – Three Amigos
•Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of silly persons! – Monty Python
•We are now the Knights who say... ”Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm. – Monty Python
•Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore. – Wizard of Oz
•I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship. - Casablanca
•That's some bad hat, Harry. – Jaws, also the bumper for the company that produces “House”
•Joe. She's written 65 songs... 65. They're all about you. They're all about pain. – Say Anything.
•Show me the money. – Jerry McGuire
•I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that. – Say Anything.
•Awww... this is one of those days that the pages of history teach us are best spent lying in bed. - The Philadelphia Story
•You must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest... WITH... A HERRING! – Monty Python
•Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine. - Casablanca
•You can't handle the truth. – A Few Good Men
•In the world of advertising, there's no such thing as a lie. There's only expedient exaggeration. - ???
•Rosebud. – Citizen Kane
•Adrian! - Rocky
•Wherever there is injustice, you will find us. Wherever there is suffering, we'll be there. Wherever liberty is threatened, you will find...The Three Amigos! – The Three Amigos
•I love the smell of napalm in the morning. – Apocalypse Now
•He says he will sell you a blind camel. He says he also knows of a camel with a crippled leg and no teeth. Would you like a dead camel? - Ishtar

Dang, I think you stumped me on two!

At least I figured out what our dinner conversation with the kids tonight will be.

Posted by: NG at September 1, 2009 12:41 PM

i LOVE that you included this one:

one of my all-time favorite quotable movies.

I quote everything. everything, especially teen angst-y ones and the classics, of course...but I REALLY enjoy quoting stupid things like Dumb and Dumber and Ace Ventura and Major League.

Posted by: ali at September 1, 2009 1:00 PM

Mia + Monty Python = pure win :)

Posted by: Hannah at September 1, 2009 1:06 PM

"If you were happy every day of your life you wouldn't be a human being. You'd be a game-show host."

Heathers

Posted by: Michelle at September 1, 2009 1:06 PM

Saturday night, my 18 year-old daughter and I sat giggling and taking turns uttering lines from the movie The Princess Bride.

"Inconceivable!"

"Hello lady"

"Liar! Liar!"

etc, etc, etc...

We went for more than an hour and I ended the night with a perfect voicing of "The Pit of Despair."

I adore that movie. Also, I wish we would have tried your game with our toddlers back in the day. That's good, free entertainment right there.

Posted by: Procrastamom at September 1, 2009 1:12 PM

Airplane
Top Secret
Caddyshack
The Right Stuff
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war Room!" - Dr. Strangelove

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at September 1, 2009 1:26 PM

My favorite is:

You're my boy Blue! ~ Old School
I'll fuck my bong I will! I'll do it doggy style, too! For once! ~ Knocked Up
When life gives you lemons, just say 'Fuck the lemons,' and bail ~ Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Apparently I like quotes with the word fuck in them

Posted by: Dee at September 1, 2009 1:33 PM

What?! No Pulp Fiction

I am sad.

Posted by: Pammer at September 1, 2009 1:51 PM

I thought I was only person who liked Ishtar. I talk about blind camels and nobody understands me.

Posted by: Darren at September 1, 2009 1:52 PM

Inconceivable!

Posted by: Becky at September 1, 2009 1:59 PM

"Sometimes, being a bitch is the only thing a woman has to hold on to." Dolores Claiborne

"Take me to bed or lose me forever." Top Gun

"I'll have what she's having." When Harry Met Sally

"Did you know there are people who sleep with absolutely nothing on at all?" Roman Holiday (and a million more from Roman Holiday)

"I don't care how you treat me. I don't mind your swearing at me. I shouldn't mind a black eye; I've had one before this. But I won't be passed over!" My Fair Lady

Posted by: Mindy at September 1, 2009 2:01 PM

not to pick nits, and perhaps someone already mentioned this, but it's actually not "Play it again, Sam" in Casablanca. Rick says "Play it Sam. If she can take it... (so can I? I forget this bit of it)."

How's about "Was you ever bit by a dead bee?" -- To Have and Have Not.

"She's my sister/my daughter/my sister/my daughter..." -- Chinatown

Posted by: pvz at September 1, 2009 3:01 PM

Ha! I was gonna be a nerd and bust ya about the Casablanca thing, but someone already beat me to it.

"What do you know? You're a virgin who can't drive."

Ah, Clueless.

Posted by: caleal at September 1, 2009 3:06 PM

"Ok, I'll meet you at the place near the thing where we went that time."

"Hello? I forgot my mantra"

"Honey, there's a spider in your bathroom the size of a Buick."

"No, that's a bear in a, in a bee costume."

" Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Posted by: Peggy at September 1, 2009 3:16 PM

Love the Monty Python quotes...I'm all about anything from The princess bride ;)

Posted by: Heather at September 1, 2009 3:47 PM

What's your vector, Victor? That will always be my favorite.

Posted by: k8 at September 1, 2009 3:58 PM

I had to laugh at the "Sew like the wind" quote you had... One of the best all time movies if you ask me!... although, no one ever asks me...

Posted by: Kim at September 1, 2009 4:19 PM

"May I offer you a wafer-thin mint?"

Posted by: tai at September 1, 2009 4:27 PM

Ah, ze children of ze night! Vot beautiful music zey make!

Posted by: Loth at September 1, 2009 4:38 PM

* Slowly, slowly its too nice a job to rush.-Rocky Horror Picture Show
*The curves of your lips rewrite history-Velvet Underground
*What do you want Mary? You want the moon? Ok I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down for you-Its a Wonderful Life
*You get nothing! Good Day sir!-Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
*Esc-a-pay. Hey look its spelled just like escape-Finding Nemo

Posted by: Dani at September 1, 2009 6:02 PM

We quote from many, but none so much as "The Big Lebowski," because it is made of awesome.

Posted by: heels at September 1, 2009 6:19 PM

"Get to the chopper!"
"It's just a flesh-wound."
"It wasn't me! It was the one-armed man!" (A movie quote of a movie quote, no less)
"Do or do not. There is no try."
"There is no spoon."
"Fiddle-dee-dee!"
And all those you mentioned, but our daughter's fave now (b/c I'm a horrible parent who let my 3-yr-old watch Ghost Busters):
"Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say YES!"

John Hughes anything is always a standby (esp being from Chicagoland), Star Wars and, now, Pixar anything. Sad, but true.

Posted by: kate at September 1, 2009 6:58 PM

"There's no food in your food."
"I'm gonna be 40 ... someday."
"I am Frau Blucher!" *whinny*
"I ain't saying it's right. But you're saying a foot massage don't mean nothing, and I'm saying it does."
"Nah, I ain't Jewish, I just don't dig on swine, that's all."
"Wait Master, it might be dangerous... you go first."

Posted by: shelley at September 1, 2009 7:08 PM

1.21 Jig-a-waats!

And so the lion fell in love with the lamb... ...stupid lamb

Snakes - I HATE snakes!

You of all people should know Terry, in your hotel, there's always someone watching.

I've got two jobs. I've discovered that you have to work twice as hard when it's honest.

Posted by: Rose Winters at September 1, 2009 8:46 PM

*Have fun storming the castle!*

*Smokey's over here takin' a shit!*

*Your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries!*

Posted by: Rebecca at September 1, 2009 9:37 PM

Sad thing is, I can name almost all the movies that those are from....I'm a child of the 80's, what can I say? Here are a few of my favs from some of my favorite movies...
Chopper .....sic balls...............
1.21 jigawatts....1.21 jigawatts of electricity.
Did I stutter???
I'm king of the world!!!!!!!
But... they'll never take our freedom!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Christine at September 1, 2009 9:42 PM

So many good ones to choose from...hmmm, one I often stump people with (although I think it is ridiculously easy) is:
"The light is green, the trap is clean"

And since someone else quoted Knocked Up, there's a line that's something like "It's not fucking like dogs, it's just the style...we don't have to go outside" & "How are things at ButtFuckingHam Palace?"

Posted by: Jane in Pa at September 1, 2009 10:49 PM

How do you not have any quotes from "The Princess Bride?" Best movie ever.

Posted by: pirate_bikegrl at September 2, 2009 3:46 AM

Here are my favorite movie and some of the quote from them.
JUNO "I feel like the cautionary whale"
Mama Mia
27 Dresses "Benny and the Jets"
The Lake House "Obviously, someone had clown for breakfast this morning"
My Big Fat Greek Wedding "You don't eat no meat? Then I make you some lamb!"
The Snow Walker
The Ghost & Mrs Muir
The Wizard of Oz
Titanic

Posted by: Maribeth at September 2, 2009 7:54 AM

"Allow myself to introduce...myself." Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery

"Why don't you have a few drinks and drive home." The Wedding Singer

"Help me help you!" Jerry Maguire

"You eat pieces of $h!t for breakfast?" Happy Gilmore

What can I say? I'm all about the culture.

P.S. I love that you censor Rhett's line for Mia. Adorable.

Posted by: Frema at September 2, 2009 2:27 PM

The Big Lebowski - my husband and I quote it all the time.

"Also, dude, 'Chinaman' is not the preferred nomenclature. 'Asian-american' please." -Walter

Posted by: Rengirl at September 2, 2009 4:00 PM

Control F: Anchorman not found in the comments? Ludicrous! Best movie ever for lines, such as:

I have your pregnancy report, and you're knocked up.

Don't act like you're not impressed.

I don't know if you know this, but I'm kind of a big deal.

Veronia Corningstone and I are in love! And we are going to get married on top of a mountain. And you all won't be invited!

I'm in a glass case of emotion!

The man punted Baxter!

I'm sorry, I don't speak Spanish.

Hey everybody, come over here and tell me how good I look.

We have seen it too many times but it's awesome and my all time favorite "comfort movie".

Posted by: Jenn Benn at September 2, 2009 6:13 PM

I have your pregnancy report, and you're knocked up.

Don't act like you're not impressed.

I don't know if you know this, but I'm kind of a big deal.

I'm in a glass case of emotion!

The man punted Baxter!

I'm sorry, I don't speak Spanish.

Hey everybody, come over here and tell me how good I look.

Posted by: Jenn Benn at September 2, 2009 6:13 PM

None of mine would be appropriate to whisper to a child.

Seriously.

Posted by: Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah at September 2, 2009 11:49 PM

"i think we're gonna need a bigger boat..."
—works for so many situations.

Posted by: karma at September 4, 2009 5:12 AM

I have been known to quote (frequently) from the following movies:

Mrs. Doubtfire
Encino Man
Legally Blonde
Finding Nemo
Monsters, Inc.
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Back to the Future
The Goonies
The Birdcage
Billy Madison
Deuce Bigalow
Big Daddy
Bad Boys

These are, by no means, my only faves. These are only the ones I quote from frequently. I've been known to answer the phone with, "I. Am. Job." (Mrs. Doubtfire). If I weren't so tired, I'd probably remember more...

Posted by: ironic1 at September 7, 2009 12:24 AM