September 29, 2009

Dick In The Pool

Does anyone have any clue how Dick Cheney feels about swimming? Or, more generally, public pools? I mean, I'd imagine that Cheney dislikes all fun activities, preferring to have people swim through vast lakes of molten lava, enjoying their screams whilst chomping down on a bucket of popcorn and a forty of Schlitz. (For some reason, I see him as a malt liquor drinker.) But that's just me.

Anyway, as I mentioned yesterday, I took Mia for her swimming class on Saturday. While I was sitting in the bleachers, I caught this familiar face out of the corner of my eye, a Caucasian ball of hate and poor hunting skills. I immediately assumed it was Dick Cheney.

cheney%20swims.jpg

What do you think?

A. Are you crazy? That's not Cheney!
B. Absolutely. No doubt about it. I know Dick when I see it.
C. It could be though he's lacking horns. He's got horns, right?
D. Probably not. I heard Cheney was out chasing puppies with a baseball bat on Sunday morning.

What's your best celebrity run-in?

Posted by Chris at September 29, 2009 6:02 AM
Comments

John Spencer, hands down. Before he was, ya know, like dead and stuff. My parent's have a friend who is a pharmacudical rep (and since I can't spell pharmacudical apparently... he was our local drug pusher. At least, that's what we like to refer to him as!) He always got tickets to go see shows at the Lyric, and when he had extra, he gave them to my mom and I. Generally it was last minute notice because some big wig doctor cancelled out. He had tickets to Cabaret, and asked if we wanted to go - we wouldn't be sitting with them, but we'd just be the row in front of them. Of course!, my mom told him. So we went, and I was probably about 12 at the time. This guy came in, and sat down next to my mom. The entire cast was waving at him, and blowing him kisses, things like that. Mom recognized him, but couldn't put a name to the face.

At intermission, our friends asked her, YOU KNOW WHO THAT IS, RIGHT?! THAT'S JOHN SPENCER!! And she was all like, ohhh, THAT'S why I recognize him! When he came back, she asked for his autograph, totally not making a big deal out of it, saying it was for me. And then they talked the rest of the show. Joking and carrying on with each other, etc. Twas trey awesome. He was a great guy. My dad gave her a hard time for not inviting him over for drinks afterwards.

Posted by: secha at September 29, 2009 7:50 AM

My first celebrity run in and since your my age you should remember him was Andrew McCarthy, it was early 90's and I was living in CA and we were at the airport and I said to my exhusband, "That looks like Andrew McCarthy" and he of course dismissed me as being stupid because you know he's a douchebag, then I saw the lady behind the desk get all animated and excited and I knew it was him. I loved Pretty in Pink so imagine my excitement at seeing him.

Then just last year I went out to CA and on the way back home we got stuck in Chicago O'hare overnight, so we slept in the terminal and the next morning when we woke up there were tons of people around, the terminal we slept in was going to LA. So we were sitting there chatting and a guy sits down next to me and I'm trying not to stare but I'm thinking in my head "THATS TOBY FROM THE OFFICE" "TOBY FLENDERSON" and he was reading a script at the time of course this was during the writers strike, so he gets up to make a phone call and now I can see him a bit better and it's definitely him, so I go over to a guy that slept in the terminal with us who happened to be watching "the office" all night on his laptop and I said look who it is? and of course he insisted on getting a photo, so I took it of the two of them but I didn't ask for one myself because I was embarrassed enough that this guy just wants to go home and we are harrassing him. But the guy in the terminal emailed it to me so I could put it in my scrapbook to remember the night we spent in the Terminal and Toby!!!

Posted by: Dee at September 29, 2009 8:08 AM

Milli or Vanilli...I'm really not sure which one it was...in an elevator at a hotel where I was hosting a conference. So not very exciting.

Posted by: daisy at September 29, 2009 8:37 AM

Bobby McFerrin leaving a Minnesota Timberwolves game. We didn't chat much; he just said "Excuse me" when we both tried going through the exit at the same time.

Posted by: J at September 29, 2009 8:51 AM

Delurking to comment...

I got to meet Wynton Marsalis after one of his concerts at a local college. Our college jazz ensemble was leaving the concert out the back way (one of our members had gone there for his undergrad) when we ran into one of Wynton's band members. When he realized we were a jazz ensemble, he said we had to go back and hang with Wynton. We jumped on that offer. Wynton is just as cool as you would hope he would be. He talked with all of us, autographed our programs, and was just an all around great guy.

Posted by: Kristi at September 29, 2009 9:06 AM

Delurking to comment...

Posted by: Kristi at September 29, 2009 9:06 AM

This past weekend at the book festival provided me the opportunity to interview some children's authors, who are celebrities to me, but perhaps not what you're looking for here...

Two years ago, I ran into Dave Grohl (almost literally, as we met stroller-to-stroller) in the Barnes & Noble in Baltimore. I obsessed about it for a bit-- http://www.morninglightmama.com/2007/08/all-that-you-will-see-is-celebrity.html

Posted by: morninglight mama at September 29, 2009 9:09 AM

Let it go, let is go, let it go, Grasshopper. Cheney is gone and you don't have to worry that he will lurk about neighborhood pools.
This guy is way too young (even though he is puddy) to be Cheney. Cause I think Cheney is like 106, right?
Let it go, let it go, let it go.....

Posted by: Maribeth at September 29, 2009 9:14 AM

Actually, when I was too young to remember my mom took me and my brother to some restaurant in So Cal and Lucille Ball told my mother how cute I was.

Beyond that, I don't really have much celeb run in opps here in MICHIGAN. I did once stand in line with a coworker at a trade show in Vegas for Goldberg's autograph (yeah, the wrestler. I hate wrestling - the coworker was a HUGE fan, and I got the autograph for my friend's then-husband). Goldberg was kind of a dick.

Posted by: sarah at September 29, 2009 9:28 AM

I have three...

1. I was probably about 13, we were at Watkins Glen Raceway - my dad took us to the races (car) like every weekend possible. Paul Newman was a racer back in the day and here I was walking across the paddock with my father and his friend...I was walking a few feet ahead, looking down, walking like a 13 yr old does, not paying attention, when I did the 'dance' with another person...you know, the one when you stop to let them by, they stop to let you by and you both try to go at the same time, and you repeat a few times...like a dance? Anyway, he finally let me go by and my father and his friend come up to me laughing and go, don't you know who that was? I'm all like, nah, who? And they are all like, that was Paul Newman. And I'm all like, Who? Dude, I was 13 - Paul Newman wasn't on my radar! I did, several years later, spend time in his presence, when I got to shake his hand and look deep into those blue eyes. He was a gentleman and so very kind. And I didn't wash that hand for two days!

2. In my 20s, went to a local horse show (actually a national known one) with a girlfriend who had a friend who invited us to spend the evening in their box. So I'm sitting there watching the show and I'm sitting next to the guy in the next box, enjoying the show when my girlfriend elbows me and says, you do know who you are sitting next to, right? And I look and I swoon...I'm sitting next to CAPTAIN KIRK! Dude, I was SO going to grow up and have his kids when I was like 8 and watched every episode of Star Trek with my dad! So I'm sitting there next to William Shatner and do I open my mouth to say hello or anything for the 2 hours I sat elbow to elbow with him? Nope. Why? Because I feared saying something completely stupid like, I wanted to have your babies or Damn it, Jim, I'm a doctor not a (something or other)! Like he hadn't heard either of those lines many times before!

3. Two or three years ago, in NYC to visit with a friend who was in from the west coast. We had the kid along with us, took her to the Metropolitan Art museum and then we headed out for a nice dinner at a nice little restaurant on the upper west side with our friend and several of her friends. We were having a great little dinner, Leda needed to move around so I took her outside to run up and down the sidewalk a little. I'm standing there when I realize there is a short man on a cell phone just outside the restaurant. Then I realize that the short man on a cell phone is Dustin Hoffman. He's not really that short, but he's shorter than I expected! He was at the restaurant for a dinner or something with a large group of people, we think his family. He was very nice.

My brushes with fame.

Posted by: cyndy at September 29, 2009 9:52 AM

None for me really, except the time that our plane got stuck on the runway in Charlotte as we waited for Air Force One to land (it had George W. on it so it just pissed me off that my flight was being delayed, but hubby was so excited to see the plane "in person" so to speak). My mom went trick-or-treating at Elvis' house when she was little. Natalie Wood was there too and he handed out circus peanuts. Yes, she grew up in Memphis.

As to whether or not that is Cheney, I'd have to go with C or D!

Posted by: Elizabeth at September 29, 2009 9:55 AM

D.

Dick's hair has been pearly white for a very long time. But damn, it must suck to look like him. I'd switch to contacts if I were that guy.

Posted by: Brad at September 29, 2009 9:59 AM

Bawahahahahahaha I SO needed that laugh after a disappointing time at work, kinda like what you went through...and I vote "C"!!!

LOL Thanks for the laugh

Posted by: Gypsy at September 29, 2009 9:59 AM

That guy looks a lot like Cheney, only a decade or so too young. Unfortunate for him.

My most recent celebrity run-in was that Joe Biden was on my Amtrak train two weeks ago... on my CAR even. We picked him up in Delaware. The rest of the people on the train must have been asleep or something, because I was the only one craning my neck (and getting the eye of the Secret Service) trying to get a better look. (It was him, that was confirmed when we deboarded the train and he was rushed into the motorcade.)

When I was 15 or so, my high school band marched in the NYC St. Patrick's Day parade and (a very drunk) Chris Farley was standing right behind me. I somehow missed it, as none of the people around me wanted to point it out until we were down the street from him.

I went to high school with a couple kind of famous people -- Dave Annable (from the show Brothers and Sisters), who I ran in overlapping circles with, and the guys from American Chopper (one of whom I ran into at the bagel shop when I was visiting my parents recently).

And finally, he's not quite a celebrity yet (but will be someday), but one of my friends just won an Emmy. My last "run-in" with him was when my boyfriend and I crashed on his couch in LA earlier this year.

Posted by: stephanie at September 29, 2009 10:09 AM

Uncle Jessie from the Dukes of Hazzard in the Nashville airport!

Posted by: Honor at September 29, 2009 10:10 AM

I got to meet Bill Clinton back in his governor days. I was just a kid then. But now I look back at the moment with completely different perspective. Very cool.

I've met some really nice famous people through my work, but I don't really think that counts. But did see Judge Reinhold at our little local cityfest one year and was completely surprised to find out he lives here.

Oh, and family legend says my dad's fourth wife ran off with George Jones . . . does that count?

Posted by: Sara at September 29, 2009 10:24 AM

I met the band members from Everclear after a show when I was in high school. It was pretty sweet because it was before the LOTR movies and Art knew where my name was from. Oh, a man who knows his literature...sigh.

Posted by: Arwen at September 29, 2009 10:41 AM

In Las Vegas, Andre Agassi is our go-to celebrity for run-ins. I got his autograph at a public event when I was like, 18 (and so was he!) but since then, I see him alot. Shopping, dining. Nowadays, he and Steffi even visit the public library (not the branch I work at, sadly, but one closer to their home). Mostly, we leave him alone and are content to either whisper "OMG, that's Agassi!" or tell him how much we love him. I think it speaks highly of our residents that we leave our local celebrities alone to live in peace....but its SO COOL to see him out and about.

Posted by: rebecca at September 29, 2009 11:27 AM

Let's see...
Not Cheney, but close enough that I would have done several double-takes.

Brushes with fame:
I would love to say that Verne Troyer a.k.a. Mini Me was my friend in high school, but I cannot honestly remember a time when we spoke. He's one of my friends on Facebook and I have chatted with him. Does that count?

Ronald Reagan was campaigning in Saginaw, MI when I was about 12 and I got to shake his hand.

We were in the airport in Seattle waiting for our luggage and this guy and what could only be desribed as a posse walked up to our baggage carousel. I elbowed my husband and loudly whispered, "That's LL Cool J!" He turned and smiled at me at the same time my husband was telling me there was no way that could be him. All I can say is this - MAN that guy is HOTT!

Posted by: zanie at September 29, 2009 11:37 AM

I vote D.

The only celebrity I have ever, ever met was Jeff Daniels when he came to give a talk to the theatre department of my undergrad, which he also went to. He was very nice. *shrug* Everyone else commenting has way cooler stories.

Posted by: caleal at September 29, 2009 11:40 AM

I was walking around lower manhattan with a friend of mine from college and we just decided to go into this kids clothes/toy store.

So we walk in and there is Ethan Hawke, his children and his man servant. First brush with real fame and I sort of dorked out. I believe I said, "Holy Sh*t...that's Ethan Hawke!" He looked and smiled and sort of cringed but I was cool with that. Since I blew his cover, in a store with no one else in it, I figured I'd leave him alone.

P.S. That dude is tiny! The camera did amazing things for him in Training Day.

Posted by: JJ at September 29, 2009 11:58 AM

Well, I worked at a Ben and Jerry's in Malibu when I was in college, so I ran into TONS of celebrities working there, most notably Mel Gibson in his pre-crazy days. He's short, dude.

I also met Dave Grohl at a Tubes concert, but I was busy freaking out that Prairie! Prince! was there. Pssh, Dave Grohl.

Once at a theme park near my hometown, I stood in line for a roller coaster with Gunnar Nelson and his girlfriend, and that line was like, 45 minutes long, so we had a nice chat where my friend and I were total shy dorks and he was hot and charming.

And my friend accidentally elbowed Martin Sheen in the gut at a fish place, and he was so nice and all apologetic and it wasn't even his fault.

Posted by: Brooke at September 29, 2009 11:59 AM

In late 1993 I was flying home to Boston from Cleveland (don't judge - it was grad school), and there was a little fuss happening in the waiting area at the gate shortly before we were called to board. I noticed a very distinguished gentleman, impeccably dressed, being approached by several older women with awestruck looks on their faces. I kept watching, trying to figure out why I knew the guy, who was a very handsome, slim, light-skinned black man who appeared to be in his 50s or 60s. He wasn't tall enough to be a basketball player (sorry, that's what I was thinking with the groupies), and he wasn't the right age to be the other people I would have pegged him for. When we boarded, I was sitting in the first row behind 1st Class, and there he was in the row ahead of me, one seat over (so I could see his profile between the seats). When the flight attendant offered him a beverage, she addressed him as Mr. Belafonte. I did the same when he dropped his ear buds and I handed them back to him. I got a "thank you so much" in his beautiful deep voice, and a smile that reached his incredibly beautiful eyes. I didn't think that anyone swooned anymore, but I totally swooned that day. Oh, and although he looked like he was in his mid-50s, it turned out that he was already in his late 60s at that point, and he looked fiiiiiiine.

Posted by: shelley at September 29, 2009 12:25 PM

Chris,

I met Dave Chappelle at Starbucks here in lovely low key Dayton, Ohio. He lives near a town called Yellow Springs and he is just that cool and low key! And super funny!

I thought it was him but I was shocked and then I said "my husband would just die if he knew you were here." And Dave said "I hope not!" I did not have my cell phone so I have no proof but apparently he frequents the Starbucks on Colonel Glenn so maybe my husband will get to meet him too!

The image I can't get out of my mind is Dave Chappelle chilling out eating a scone!!!

BTW that so is Dick Cheney!

Posted by: Julie Andel at September 29, 2009 1:14 PM

Dick would not go to a public pool.

Posted by: Jodi at September 29, 2009 1:16 PM

I have a few - I actually ran into Craig T. Nelson as we were both trying to enter/exit a coffee shop in NYC at the same time... Tommy Lasorda sat in front of us at a spring training baseball game in FL - he was very nice... took pics with us and everyone else who came up and asked for a pic or autograph... ran into Tim Robbins here in DC when Susan Sarandon was here for The Innocence Project... I will be meeting Sam Waterston tomorrow!

Posted by: Sue R at September 29, 2009 1:44 PM

My good friends live in Colorado Springs, home of our beloved Focus on the Family. They were at a friends house for a playdate and the mom, my friend, saw a picture on the mantle of Thanksgiving dinner that year, in their home, with DICK CHENEY at the table. Not a look a like, the real one.

How she didn't run screaming is beyond me.

My best run in? The drummer from Marshall Tucker band played Can't You See with my dad on my 27th birthday. That didn't suck.

Posted by: Mr Lady at September 29, 2009 2:12 PM

I'd change swimming pools. Still, like someone else said, I don't think it's really him (but it sure must suck to look so alike!).

Brushes w/ fame: used to see Jack Lord (Hawaii 50)in Longs Drugs at Kahala Mall regularly. Had dinner w/ Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward at my uncle's house. Used to serve JFK Jr. breakfast at college (I was on work-study, he was... eating).

Posted by: pvz at September 29, 2009 2:26 PM

When I was a kid, I met Bill Clinton when he was govenor of Arkansas. I remember him being very nice.

When the kids were little around 2002 or so, Davey Jones from the Monkees was doing an interview at a local tv station and since, I lived about two blocks away, I grabbed the kids and went and waited for the show to be over. He was so nice and was wonderful with the kids. My autograph was stolen in a robbery and dummy me forgot to grab a camera in my rush out the door.

Jeannie Fricke used to shop in my mom's store.

Also, this is silly but to me our Mayor rocks! Yeah Oscar Goodman so it was great to meet him.

When I was 18, I had a run-in with Andre Agassi's sister and she was a complete B****, throwing her weight around as his sister--completely soured me on him for some reason.

Chris, that guy is waaaaay to young to be Dick.

Posted by: debb at September 29, 2009 2:41 PM

He definitely has horns... but I hear he also has the ability to make them appear invisible to Democrats at will.

I saw Robin Williams in a Barnes & Noble in Baltimore once...

Posted by: NG at September 29, 2009 3:10 PM

I vote for "C"...

When I was in college and working retail I rang up a sale for Mark Metcalf - Neidermeyer from Animal House (or Twisted Sister video, if you prefer). I was too shy to say anything, but as he was walking out and I was pointing him out to someone, saying, "do you know who that was?!" of course he looked back. I like to think it made him feel better to be recognized.

Posted by: akofaolain at September 29, 2009 3:54 PM

I say D. Also heard he eats puppies for breakfast.

A friend of mine met Cheney when he was secretary of defense back in the early 90's, and had a friend photograph him making rabbit ears behind Cheney's head. Wish I had a copy! LOL

Anyway, I met Tony Randall and Penny Marshall from the TV sitcoms The Odd Couple and Laverne & Shirley at my elementary school in the 70's. Met Bill Clinton in Normandy France back in 1994.

Posted by: Tom H. at September 29, 2009 5:22 PM

I vote C and I've never met anyone famous. Lame :P

Posted by: Heather at September 29, 2009 5:22 PM

I've got a collegue with a cool Bill Clinton story; a friend with a *really* cool Bob Dylan/Neil Young story; my mom had drinks with Roberson Davies (and, uh, other people, so it was drinks, not *drinks*); another friend has been a road-manager for some big tours, so had played hockey with the Tragically Hip, Avril Levine and Iron Maiden; and another friend found herself in the Bay City Rollers' limo (it was a while ago).

I think you already asked this several months ago, but I'm proud of my story - as lame as it is by comparison to everyone else I know, and everyone here, and well, just as a story - so I'll tell you again: I jumped on stage at a Bryan Adams concert when I was 16. The guitarist grabbed me around the waist & hustled me off to security. I don't know what I would have done if I had made it to Bryan. Probably humped his leg or something. I was a really sophisticated 16 year old.

Posted by: harmzie at September 29, 2009 5:50 PM

I vote for C.

I saw "Dazed & Confused" with Fred aka Gopher Grandy in Alexandria, VA when he was in Congress.

I watched "Joseph & His Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" with President Clinton and the little mrs and Chelsea while I lived in DC.

Then I moved to Texas and my famous people encounters ended. I guess that was one benefit to living in Monkeytown.

Posted by: kali at September 29, 2009 10:13 PM