September 7, 2009

Labor Day 2009

In 1947, Stuart Lithgreen - an Icelandic blacksmith by trade but amateur cyclist by passion who moved to the United States to join the Army- penned a letter which he then sent to Illinois state senator Joseph Freer. In this letter he wrote:

Over the last twenty years, this country has been besieged by hunger, poverty, desolation and war. Never has the work ethic of our countrymen been tested so thoroughly and so profoundly. It is with that in mind and as a testament to our country's spirit of hard, honest work, and specifically those who rescued this land from the brink of disaster, that I encourage you to set aside a day each year to honor the labor of all Americans. I know not the inner workings of the American democratic system but implore you to work whatever legislative magic you must to dedicate a day to celebrate this labor.

Freer - a career politician - saw the political capital in this idea and steered the legislation through the proper channels. A year later, in 1948, Labor Day was born.

Okay, all of that was complete bullshit that I just made up. This is my way of getting out of a serious post. Because - Stuart Lithgreen or no Stuart Lithgreen - this is Labor Day in these here United States and also the unofficial end of summer. So you'll excuse me if I head out and attempt to soak up every last minute of it, won't you?

Did the summer fly by for you too? What was the best moment?

Posted by Chris at September 7, 2009 9:16 AM
Comments

Not to nitpick your made up story, but if he was really Icelandic his last name would end in -son. They don't do family names in Icleand...your last name is your father's name with either son or dottir on the end. So I'd be Kerry Rogersdottir. And he'd be Roger Williamsson.

Of no use to anyone, but useless trivia that's stuck in my head.

Since the weather hasn't been that great here this summer, it feels like it's gone on forever because there hasn't been much to differentiate it from spring. But the handful of warm sunny days we had were amazing, and gave me a great chance to use both my grill and my new picnic set that I got for my birthday!

Posted by: Kerry at September 7, 2009 9:31 AM

It did indeed fly by. The best moment for me was August 1, when I moved from South Carolina to Florida to be with my boyfriend :)

Posted by: Stephanie at September 7, 2009 10:36 AM

I DID fly by. I remember thinking on July 1st that I had 2 months - 8 weeks to enjoy until school started up again! It's like it was yesterday.
The best part of each week was the 4 hours I spent with my "little brother" Rocco. He is 7 years old and we are part of the big brother/big sister program. This was the first summer we went community based switching over from the in-school program.
We swam every Tuesday afternoon that was nice (and even some that weren't brrr), we went to Peabody Museum one rainy Tuesday and we went to Mystic Marinelife Aquarium for our last Tuesday before school.
It's fun to share things I shared with my son at that age and to hopefully impart some wisdom and new opportunities that he otherwise would not get.

Posted by: NancyJ at September 7, 2009 11:43 AM

It went too fast and I miss it already. I do not have one favorite moment but the lazy days at the beach, building sand castles with my daughter, splashing around in the ocean and dining on sand covered grapes will be missed till next summer:) There is nothing as beautiful as watching the sunset off the Ocean Beach pier in San Diego while sharing an ice cream with the kids.

Posted by: shannon at September 7, 2009 12:40 PM

Dammit, Cactus, I thought I was learning something here.

Posted by: caleal at September 7, 2009 1:00 PM

1. Summer never ends in Texas
2. I don't believe in career politicians

Posted by: Knot at September 7, 2009 3:22 PM

My summer absolutely flew by!
Hands-down the best 'moment' was my wedding. My new husband and I both had such an incredibly incredible time.

Posted by: Karen at September 7, 2009 7:58 PM

We're fortunate to have an almost endless summer here in Southern California. My favorite memory - dog beach on Coronado Island. It just doesn't get better than that! family (human & canine), friends (human & canine), sun, surf, unparalled scenery... :)

Posted by: LaineyDid at September 8, 2009 10:42 AM

Summer flew by, it was great but went to fast and now seems to have come to a complete halt. Where I just moved to I am already feeling the fall weather. I am wearing socks and a sweater, yuck!

Posted by: Adi at September 8, 2009 12:49 PM

I think summer *FLEW* This is brought about by the fact that school starts so incredibly early in North Carolina (in comparison to NY where I'm from).

My best moment was starting to jump again in horseback riding. Hands down.

Posted by: Kate at September 9, 2009 9:46 AM