September 28, 2009

Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow

This weekend was a blast. I worked from home on Friday and despite the temptation to drown the day in a big old vat of fuck it - because of Big Work Failure (formerly Big Work Thing) - I did my job, checked out at five and took the kids to the local high school football game. It was a terrible game if you happened to be rooting for the home team. I kinda was. Mia was just obsessed with the band and Owen wanted only to follow the mascot around so he could shyly avoid high-fiving him (or her, it was unclear). By half time - after the band had performed marginal show and the dance team pulled off the briefest, lamest routine in high school history - it became clear that the kids desperately needed to go to bed. Because they were both incredibly punchy, practically falling asleep standing up and whining about nearly everything. We got them home, got them in bed and vegged out the rest of the evening.

Saturday was rainy and cool, a perfect day to spend inside. Which is precisely what we did. We played in the morning then Beth went out and saw a movie with my mom (Julie and Julia which was reportedly excellent). My dad came over and we watched an episode of Scooby Doo with Mia since I had promised her we would the weekend before. Apparently some kid at school was talking about Scooby Doo and Mia had no clue who or what Scooby Doo was. I felt as though I had deprived her. We waited for Beth to leave the house because she hates Scooby Doo with a passion usually reserved for Nazis and horses. When the movie was over, and the meddling kids were through doing their thing, we procured take-out Indian, said goodbye to my folks and watched some TiVo. (Side note - Grey's Anatomy people, I'm feeling very manipulated and I'm this close to walking away. And you know, having people laugh and cry excessively might actually work if half the people were better actors.)

Sunday proved only marginally nicer weather-wise. I took Mia to her swimming lesson where she swam fearlessly and even jumped off the diving board. First time ever. No fear. She's amazing. And we may or may not have seen Dick Cheney, sitting there in the bleachers watching all the kids swim. Then Mia and I played school and I did everything wrong and she got fake-mad at me which was hilarious and make me absolutely crack up at her with made her real-mad. We had plans to hit a local zoo but they were washed out. Instead, we played with Mia's cousin at our house. Then we had dinner and passed out from a weekend of wonderfulness.

It's Monday. Day One of the Big Work Failure Aftermath in which we now have to teach people how to do the jobs that we will no longer be paid to do in three weeks. So that's kind of a bummer. But hey, it was a good weekend with people who love me. How can you go wrong with that?

What did you do?

Posted by Chris at September 28, 2009 6:06 AM
Comments

I watched the first 3 seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on hulu, and ate pop tarts the whole time.

I had the best dreams last night.

Posted by: Jon (was) in Michigan at September 28, 2009 7:16 AM

Watched Hannah Montana The Movie by myself since none of my boy children would be caught dead doing it. And, ran 7.5 miles.

Posted by: Debbie at September 28, 2009 7:20 AM

Spent time making a new box home for the puppies. They needed more room, and I wanted to enlarge the recliner box I'd procured, so with the use of a ton of packing tape, a box cutter and imagination, I took a square box and turned it into a rectangle the size of my refrigerator!
The puppies can move around a lot now, running and playing, and life for the little puppies is happy!

Posted by: Maribeth at September 28, 2009 8:04 AM

I just commented the other day about Greys. I watched it Saturday morning and felt NOTHING. Obviously that episode was suppose to invoke some type of sadness and it didn't, I didn't feel sad, I didn't feel one thing but BLEAH. I'm so over it, it redeemed itself last season a bit with me because I was ready to throw in the towel then, but all they do is go around giving these big speeches all the time, my main hatred for Izzies character when she was screwing around with George, she gave a speech every episode. Blech I'm really over it.

Posted by: Dee at September 28, 2009 8:21 AM

I think part of the problem with Grey's is, it was a 2 hour long episode. My co-workers and I have come to realize that, Grey's cannot do 2 hour long episodes very well. They get dragged out, and just don't work. They really need to make them a max of an hour and a half for premiers and finales.

Other than that... Saturday, we went to the Rennisance Festivale. It was great. If you guys get a free weekend, and enjoy that kind of stuff? I'd highly recomend it. The kids would have a lot of fun I think. Then Thursday was full of computer gaming, homework, sewing, and football. How bout them Ravens, hon?!

Posted by: secha at September 28, 2009 8:28 AM

I gave up on Greys last season. Tossed it up that I'm getting to old, at 29! I layed on the couch in pj's watched dvr'd shows and read magazines. It was very relaxing, just what I needed.

Posted by: Tailynn at September 28, 2009 9:14 AM

Posted by: Tailynn at September 28, 2009 9:14 AM

Bad weather yesterday, really? We spent the day at the State Fair, only 90 miles south of you. It was 75ish, blue skies with big puffy white clouds, and breezy. Just about a perfect day to be at the fair. Pictures with appropriately snarky captions are available at my blog.

Posted by: COD at September 28, 2009 9:26 AM

Pictures on my blog from our boring Sunday afternoon. Turning out to be a blast!

And Grey's Anatomy can go suck it. Obviously the writers of the show have never really lost anyone that close to them. It doesn't play out that way. Dorks.

Posted by: k8 at September 28, 2009 10:16 AM

i drank myself silly and won a poker game. saw a musical and watched football. now on to a new week as a soccer home, dreams of being the champ of texas holdem put off for 5 days. gray's can suck it. one huge reason for me is, IT DOES NOT THUNDER IN SEATTLE!!!! puuuulease, do your research folks!
muah-maria

Posted by: Maria at September 28, 2009 10:27 AM

Saturday was great...Went to our annual work party which entailed copious amounts of free food and beer and a huge inflatable slide for the kids (in which some of us big kids played on as well). Later that night I proceeded to keep my buzz going (hey, I'd been drinking since 12PM, can you blame me?) and went to Celtic Fest and drank until the bar closed. Sunday was recovery day...got laundry done and lied around the house. It was awesome.

Posted by: Michelle at September 28, 2009 10:57 AM

Wait, am I reading that right? Did the BWF mean that you lost your job? Oh, Chris, I'm so sorry! I'm so glad that you had such a good weekend before what must be a craptacular day today.

Posted by: SpaceCase at September 28, 2009 11:02 AM

saturday was errands and the duck football game on tv and dinner with my husband's parent's, brother's family, and grandma.
yesterday was brunch at our house with friends (aebelskivers! my favorite!) and the zoo, along with more dinner with all the family.
i am now exhausted and will be getting the bare minimum done today :)

Posted by: kati at September 28, 2009 11:05 AM

Prayed that Disney channel would go off the air!

You have to train your replacement? Not only is that punishment, it is an ideal situation for revenge. No, I don't mean sabotage the training all the way. Just leave out some little detail, one little smidgen of information that may or may not lead to a certain replacements failing and looking bad in the process. Now I personally would never do this(again) as it can backfire(it did) and make for tension in the workplace(I didn't care).

Posted by: Jeff A at September 28, 2009 11:38 AM

Well Friday night a good friend of mine was in town from Kentucky for the night. I picked up her and one of her old college buddies and took them out to a restaurant/bar around 9ish. Took them back to where they were staying a little after 1AM. Came home and laid down with the puppy to wait for Michael's alarm to go off at 3AM for us to leave for the hot air balloon festival. They do a sunrise launch every year and Michael really wanted to go for the photo ops. Well, this year it was cold as a witches tit, around 35 degrees. I wrapped a blanket around me while we walked around.... It was cold, we had wet feet from the frost as it melted off the too tall grass (side note: I HATE when a location knows there's something big going on like a balloon festival and can't be bothered to mow the lawn to a decent length....) and it was VERY foggy. So the combination wasn't fun. A few balloons launched, some just blew up and sat there because the air was too cold and dense....
So after the festival we went with some friends into Lake George and played mini golf, went to an arcade and Michael took his daughter to a go-kart track. Obviously the weather improved a bit by then. After we came home (it was around 4ish then) We had to stop half way because he was falling asleep driving, so we went to a grocery store and bought dinner and I drove the rest of the way home. After we got home we all took a 4 hour nap, and then we had dinner and went back to bed. Sunday, I pretty much slept all day and lounged around. We made some homemade pretzels and bread sticks in the evening to amuse his daughter. Really easy to do and she loved them :)

Posted by: Rose Winters at September 28, 2009 12:05 PM

"It's Monday. Day One of the Big Work Failure Aftermath in which we now have to teach people how to do the jobs that we will no longer be paid to do in three weeks." <---- The Big Work Thing didn't result in losing your job? Did I miss something?!:(

Posted by: caleal at September 28, 2009 12:41 PM

I am hoping that last paragraph does not mean what I am thinking it does?

I too gave up on Grey's a long time ago...just too sappy! I spent the weekend doing nothing and not feeling guilty for it. Sometimes you just need some downtime to recharge.

Posted by: Lisa at September 28, 2009 12:45 PM

Saturday was the big hometown craft show, and of course it rained. We still managed to sell a bunch of stuff, but it was chilly and wet. Came home, fell asleep on the couch, and gimped around all day yesterday. Roasted a big chicken and played Breaking Bricks on Facebook pretty much all day.

Posted by: Amy at September 28, 2009 12:59 PM

We saw the film "Surrogates" - an epic waste of time & money, started agility training with my Border Collie - awesomeness,
attended an adult birthday party - big fun and I had girls time (lunch & shopping at Nordie's) also big fun. For the icing on the cake, it was a mouthy teen-free weekend - yeah!!!!
I have to agree with you, Grey's is getting old fast!

Posted by: laineyDid at September 28, 2009 1:40 PM

Went to a friend's house for dinner on Friday and (respectfully) had a bit too much to drink. Spent the rest of the weekend reading, cooking and baking, listening to jazz music and the new Pearl Jam disc. It was an awesome weekend and I want it back.

Posted by: Laur at September 28, 2009 1:47 PM

are you saying you are going to be laid off?

Posted by: Jodi at September 28, 2009 3:27 PM

Yeah, I'm kinda done with Grey's, too. I was holding out for Meredith and Derek to get married, but since they're considering the post-it note their wedding, well, I guess I fulfilled my promise to myself. There are better shows out there that cheer me up. Grey's just depresses me.

Posted by: erin at September 28, 2009 5:01 PM

Let's see The Man had the plague (or maybe just a cold, I can never tell with him) and was bed bound Friday and Saturday. The Boy went off to a friend's house to play and I watched the first three episodes of Glee (ondemand). (1. Excellent 2. Pretty Good 3.Ok ... they get one more but that's it.)

On Sunday, I had a wee cold. So we had a fight, and I watched the first two episodes of Bones because I wasn't speaking to Him. (We're better now.) David Boreanaz -- very hot.

Big Work Failure... le sigh. Sucks. Had someone else I know lose out on a new gig. Lawyers are involved in this one... not good.

Posted by: Nat at September 28, 2009 9:47 PM

Wait a sec, does that last paragraph mean you're being laid off? If so, dude, that totally sucks! I really hope I misinterpreted it and your job is safe.

So my weekend, umm. Yeah. I took my niece to see "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs." Not awful, but not nearly as good as the book. They really took WAY too many liberties with the story, in my opinion. I also saw (sans 6 yr old niece, of course) the Aaron Eckhart movie "Love Happens," because I was under the impression that it is a romantic comedy, and I am usually at least 2nd in line for any cheesy romantic comedy. It was just meh. Not very funny - borderline depressing, actually. Could have been a nice little movie with some work on the story and a different marketing approach. Also, less (as in ZERO) Jennifer Aniston. Girl can't act. In fact, she's such a disturbingly bad actress that I found myself more focused on her wardrobe. She wore a lot of hats (though sadly not at once - it might have livened up her performance). And she had no chemistry with Aaron Eckhart, which I find disturbing. Can you tell I'm annoyed that I won't be getting those two hours or $10 back?

I rounded out my weekend by catching a performance of "Little House On the Prairie, The Musical." Because I am a nerd. :)

Posted by: erin at September 28, 2009 10:17 PM

You know, I've always kinda liked your wife, but what kinds of evil monster hates Scooby Doo? I think you might just have to divorce her.

Posted by: NG at September 28, 2009 11:04 PM

Beth hates Scooby Doo? Inconceivable! I do hate the new ones, and the ones with Scrappy, but I love the old ones.

And that's definitely Dick Cheney at the pool. What a creepster

Posted by: lora at September 29, 2009 11:52 AM

Oh shit did you get outsourced? Did I read that last bit correctly and you are losing your job in three weeks???

Daya is obsessed with Scooby Doo. It's far from being the worst show she loves. Now Caillou. That show is awful. Unfortunately she loves it. I'll take Scooby Doo any day over Caillou.

Posted by: jessica at September 29, 2009 3:12 PM

Wow, further explanation on the job situation please. I think we are all worried that you have lost your job. Maybe you lost a component of your job? Please, I hope your employment is safe.

Posted by: texxla at September 30, 2009 7:23 AM

Sorry about the job, details please. You were given just 3 weeks notice?

We spent the weekend in Rapid City, SD. My MIL and I hated the 8 hour drive up there. Wide open spaces in Wyoming and terribly remote. Made me nervous. The hubby thought Wyoming was perfect and amazing country.

Crammed in a visits to The Badlands National Park, Mt. Rushmore and Custer State Park. We could have spent weeks at Custer State Park with the unbelievably gorgeous scenery and non-stop wildlife wandering about. Buffalo, antelope, burros and mule deer.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at September 30, 2009 6:59 PM

I'm wondering what everyone else is, if that last paragraph means you lost your job?! If so, I'm so sorry!

Posted by: Dani at September 30, 2009 7:52 PM

It's known that cash can make us disembarrass. But what to do when one does not have cash? The one way only is to receive the personal loans and collateral loan.

Posted by: AdrianaJohns19 at August 27, 2010 12:47 PM