September 25, 2009

The Weeklies #103

The Weekly Emotion. Bummed.

The Weekly Nut Weight. De-Lurking Di came the closest with her guess of 18 lbs, 3 oz. In reality, I have 17 pounds of nuts. Luckily I have a strong nut sack to carry them around in. And yes, I'm 12.

The Weekly Time Waster. Cheese or Font. (Thanks, Jessica!)

The Weekly Read. When I read my first John D. MacDonald/Travis McGee novel a while back, I wasn't so thrilled. I mean, it wasn't bad but it just didn't live up to the hype, to the blurbs on the back declaring MacDonald and his fictional hero McGee to be the best things since sliced bread. But I picked up Nightmare In Pink last weekend anyway. And it totally changed my mind. It's a damn fine novel and a great mystery. MacDonald's style is unique and his (or, rather, McGee's) musings border of the philosophic. I didn't see the twists coming and thoroughly enjoyed the book from beginning to end. So much so that I ran out and bought the next one and started to devour it as well.

The Weekly Music. I love Pearl Jam and have made no secret of the fact that every subsequent album has fought Ten for my undying love. And no Pearl Jam album has succeeded. I blame the fact that Pearl Jam is a band with multiple personalities. They're rootsy rock and rollers, punk wannabes or angsty grunge practitioners. And I love each of them but they yield some pretty uneven albums. Which is why I was a little worried about Backspacer. I ran right out and bought it anyway, of course. I'm really glad I did. Backspacer might be Pearl Jam's best album since Ten. It's fast, energetic and fun. The band sounds incredible, the music is fist-pumping, and Eddie's vocals are insanely good. Maybe more importantly, the album is consistent. It's loaded with one anthem after another. Even the quieter, more laid back tracks don't sound full of typical Pearl Jam angst. Instead they seem heartfelt and whispy. I've listened to the album at least five times since Wednesday. I might listen to it five more times by the end of the day.

The Weekly Proof That My Mullet Is Famous. Check out this article and see if that guy in the middle picture doesn't look familiar.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Kirk Cameron - yeah, that guy from Growing Pains - is one fairly fanatical fan of Jesus. His latest crusade is one against Darwinism. In an online video floating around the tubes, Cameron is quoted as saying “Atheism has been on the rise for years now, and the Bible of the atheists is ‘The Origin of Species'. We have a situation in our country where young people are entering college with a belief in God and exiting with that faith being stripped and shredded. What we want to do is have student make an informed, educated decision before they chuck their faith.” Okay, while I believe Darwinism to be fact and creationism to be myth, everyone's entitled to their beliefs. But when he starts comparing Darwin to Hitler, or intimating that evolution and the Holocaust are somehow related, that's when he loses me.

The Weekly Hypothetical. What one quality do you have that, if you noticed it in your child, you'd miraculously rid him or her of?

Posted by Chris at September 25, 2009 6:14 AM
Comments

Actually, your nut sack totally disintegrated the other day when I brought it out to show to the neighbors.

Posted by: Mrs. Cactus at September 25, 2009 6:55 AM

I hope you copyrighted your mullet! How dare she use your likeness!

Apathy. But I don't care enough to do it. (I kid).

Posted by: Debbie at September 25, 2009 7:34 AM

Chris, that photo never fails to bring a smile to my face! (and a smile is much-needed after this week-- Viva la Friday!)

Posted by: leslie at September 25, 2009 7:45 AM

Good thing there is a tux it totally adds to the experience of the mullet, I have to say the feathering in the front is lovely, it must have taken hours.

I think if my child was as stubborn as I am there might be a problem.

Posted by: Dee at September 25, 2009 7:52 AM

The awesomeness of that picture never gets old!

I would want to get rid of timidness/extreme shyness from my future children.

Posted by: Diane at September 25, 2009 8:04 AM

You know, aside from my heavy thighs (and there isn't much I can do about that) I simply do not dislike anything that much that I would "rid" my child of it. In fact, I think I'm a pretty good package.
Love the hair. Remember back when you were approached. Wasn't it Classmates.com or something like that?

Posted by: Maribeth at September 25, 2009 8:24 AM

That is the sweetest mullet in all of time. Mrs. Cactus is a lucky lady ;)

Posted by: Michelle at September 25, 2009 8:37 AM

Probably poor grammar. I pride myself on knowing proper grammar but I don't always practice it. A little bit of country-boy slips in and I can't help it.

BTW, I was really feelin' some new song on the radio and then they get to the chorus and I'm like, "whoah, that's Eddie Vedder". So yeah, I think they're on to something. I might even pick up a copy.

Posted by: Brad at September 25, 2009 9:23 AM

Um. Kirk Cameron and his cronies scare me. And I never ever want any child of mine to be an alcholic. It sucks.

Posted by: k8 at September 25, 2009 9:56 AM

I didn't know Pearl Jam was still around. Wish I could say that about Kirk Cameron. I wonder if he still thinks lack of a "crocoduck" is evidence against evolution. LOL

Posted by: Tom at September 25, 2009 10:05 AM

Guessing the closest to your nut weight....not sure if I should be proud or scared! Would love for my boys to have higher self esteem than I did/do. We're working on that. That mullet rocks!

Posted by: DeLurking Di at September 25, 2009 10:21 AM

Dude, you're famous! Well, your hair is, anyway.

I think if I noticed my kid tended to be on the shy side, I'd work really hard to make him or her more outgoing.

Oh, and Kirk Cameron is a moron.

Posted by: Fraulein N at September 25, 2009 10:30 AM

I'm guessing that Kirk Cameron was educated on the set?

Posted by: kristen at September 25, 2009 10:34 AM

I'm guessing that Kirk Cameron was educated on the set?

Posted by: kristen at September 25, 2009 10:34 AM

I already see a trait in my daughter that I have.....and I am already trying to do something about it. I become overwhelmingly frustrated when I can't do something EXACTLY like I want to do something. This goes for art projects, new sports, even down to finding the perfect word in a sentence. My best friend recently summed it up by telling me I need a bumper sticker that states, "I'm not crazy, I just need it to be perfect." I responded by telling her it would take me hours to find the exact symmetrically even location on my car's bumper, so I probably shouldn't even try.

Posted by: Jen at September 25, 2009 11:34 AM

Kirk Cameron is such a nut bomb! I mean he's everywhere spreading his crazy message. It is so wrong and creepy weird that he uses his celebrity to promote such insanity!!! I think Alan Thicke AKA Dr. Seaver needs to have a talk with that kid!

Posted by: Julie Andel at September 25, 2009 11:51 AM

The mullet made me spit out my coffee, lol!!!!
I'd like to take Kirk Cameron's bible & THUMP him over the head with it, hopefully knocking some sense into him! You know, waaaay back in the old days when I was in elementary school (a Catholic one) I remember the teacher (3rd grade maybe?) telling us that "she is forced to tell us about evolution but that's nonsense so we won't waste any time on it" Unbelievable. I am now proudly agnostic.
Quality I don't want my child to inherit? Sadly he has already and it's impatience for idiots!!! Wait, that's not such a bad thing....
Have a great weekend!

Posted by: laineyDid at September 25, 2009 12:27 PM

Okay, I am really tired today, so that may be contributing to my mis-read; but I cannot see the connection between Kirk Cameron's statement and Hitler. I read it a couple of times...is it a quote originally from Hitler or something? Anyway, the trait I would least like to pass on to my children is hypochondria. I thought I was having a heart attack earlier today (I am 25). I would hate to see them suffer.
Have a great weekend. Have a couple of beers and forget about the big work thing!

Posted by: Tess at September 25, 2009 2:25 PM

Impatience. Not only does it cheapen the quality of your own life, but it can cause you to treat others like crap.

Posted by: April at September 25, 2009 4:22 PM

Depression. Definitely. With two parents who both suffer from, I fear any child we have won't have a fighting chance. I'm not even pregnant and I am already trying to figure out how to raise and prepare a child for the challenge.

Posted by: Jodi at September 25, 2009 4:54 PM

Okay, I would have to say...depression and/or lack of self-esteem. Having one sucks but dealing with both on a daily basis is downright horrid.

BTW...I just read A Quiet Belief in Angels, (I forget the author) have you read this? If so, What did you think?

Posted by: debb at September 25, 2009 7:35 PM

Bummed. Surely that would be improved by being a euphemism.

That mullet's quite the Tears for Fears homage. I was 6 feet from Curt Smith at a concert in some year-who-shall-remain-nameless, and he was totally rocking that look.

It would probably benefit my children to not have my fiery temper, but at least we all yell and get it over with, then go back to being our happy-go-lucky selves.

Hope next week's better.

Posted by: Jo MacD at September 25, 2009 10:22 PM

Hmmm...
don't know about the new Pearl Jam but I seem to be the only one. I like parts of it intensely other just leave me cold... Got some? I spend all week listening to Tragically Hip and Fucked Up. I need to sit quietly and listen. I have been slightly afraid too..

Posted by: Nat at September 25, 2009 11:52 PM

You are aware how amazingly lucky you are to have snagged such a hot wife, what with that monstrosity on your head, right?

Also, I am 12 too. I couldn't ever READ the nut post.

My kid, the quality? My oldest, anytime you correct him, says, "Yeah, I know." It's annoying as FUCK. You don't know, you egotistical manic.

Posted by: Mr Lady at September 26, 2009 3:08 PM

Holy crap that Cheese or Font is tough! Glad to see your mullet hit the big time. They totally should have credited you though.

The quality I would attempt to erase in my son, should he suddenly inherit it, would be my overwhelming need to offer unsolicited advice. While I've never been called out on it, I'm keenly aware that I do it. It's the mother in me, I think.

Posted by: coolchick at September 27, 2009 10:31 AM