September 18, 2009

The Weeklies #102

The Weekly Really Terribly Food Product. Soy Joy bars? Taste like baked feet.

The Weekly Strange Site That Cracked My Ass Up. Animals With Lightsabers. (Thanks, Oakley.)

The Weekly Read. So, I went all sci-fi geeky again and read John Scalzi's The Ghost Brigades, the follow up to Old Man's War that I wrote about last month. There must be some rule among sci-fi authors - sequels have to be weirder than the originals and if there are more books in the series, they have to get even weirder. At least that's what I've always noticed. Luckily Scalzi broke the rule. The Ghost Brigades was brilliant.

The Weekly Music. One of my favorite bands is Porcupine Tree. You might have never heard of them but you definitely should. Their latest - The Incident - further proves their brilliance. If nothing else, they're ballsy. The Incident is a sprawling album spread over two CDs. The sound? Think of Pink Floyd combined with Tool. If you're in the mood for something a little heavy, a little unique and a lot original, give The Incident a spin.

The Weekly Time Waster (That Might Make Your Head Explode). Remember those stereogram 3-D images that you'd stare at for hours trying to find a picture of a whale? If you thought that made your brain hurt, you should try Stereogram Tetris.

The Weekly Politician With Mad Map Skillz. Al Franken. At a Minnesota state fair the entertainer-turned-Senator was able to, for memory, draw a map of all fifty states. Don't believe that it's tough? You try it! Check the video.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Jonathan Kyte is a Denver man who is very confused and very sad. See, he dropped $30,000 renovating his condo. Only to find out that, well, he had the wrong condo. Turns out he doesn't actually own the condo he remodeled. He owns the one next door. Um, oops.

The Weekly Favor. This isn't a huge deal but if you'd think some positive thoughts and keep your fingers crossed for me until further notice, I'd really appreciate it.

The Weekly Hypothetical. You are Super-___________ [Insert Your Name]. You can either fly or be invisible. Which do you choose and why? What other superpowers would you have?

Posted by Chris at September 18, 2009 7:08 AM
Comments

I would soooo be invisible, so I can eavesdrop on peoples conversations. HA!

My weekly time waster is SameGame and Wordsmith on my Tivo, I just got an HD tivo because my very old Tivo was on it's last leg and these two games popped up in the Showcases section and I've been playing them nonstop ever since.

Posted by: Dee at September 18, 2009 7:29 AM

Hate to burst your bubble but I read that Al was tracing the states. Of course that might not be true. Either way, it was fun to watch.

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: Ann Adams at September 18, 2009 7:34 AM

I would be "Super Dackel" and I would fly. Sometimes I dream I can fly and it is sooooo cool.

Posted by: Maribeth at September 18, 2009 7:51 AM

I am Super-Invisible-Chick, and I'm getting into movies for free, getting the dirt on dirty politicians, and in my spare time (ha!) sneaking into people's houses and feeding, changing and cuddling their neglected babies. I know it's freaky, but I've always wanted to do that. Ok, maybe I'm just Super-Creepy-Chick.

Posted by: Jo MacD at September 18, 2009 8:16 AM

Awww, yeah! I love Porcupine Tree. Also, I'm invisible.

Posted by: Alison at September 18, 2009 8:27 AM

Animals With Lightsabers = Awesome!
Jonathan Kyte...man...what do you say about that?
The Favor is done.
The Hypothetical: SuperJess (yeah, I'm so original...haven't had coffee yet). I would be invisible because that would be a lot more fun. I could find out all sorts of interesting stuff by following people around. Other superpowers? Just the ability to get everything done. I am tired of things slipping through the cracks.
Have a great weekend!

Posted by: js at September 18, 2009 8:43 AM

I can't think of a good name right now as my brain is still foggy due to a lack of caffeine. Granted, it was my own fault and the Great Coffee Flood of 2009 will live in infamy in our house for a LOOOOOONG time. Anyhow...I'd definitely choose flying. I am so over the road construction around here! And if I were invisible, I think I'd just end up overhearing conversations that I'd later wish I hadn't.

PS - Thanks for the recommendation of Old Man's War, I'm about 3/4 of the way through it and really enjoying it!

Posted by: Elizabeth at September 18, 2009 8:48 AM

I would definitely be invisible. How cool would that be.

Positive thoughts/vibes streaming your way!

Posted by: coolchick at September 18, 2009 8:51 AM

Just an FYI - Porcupine Tree is going to be in Philly on 9/26 playing a concert at the Electric Factory...$26...

:D

Posted by: Michelle at September 18, 2009 8:53 AM

I'd be invisible; I'm afraid of heights.

I can just manage to choke down an apple walnut Soy Joy bar if I'm hungry. They're definitely an acquired taste. Probably because they're dry as hell.

Posted by: Fraulein N at September 18, 2009 9:11 AM

fingers totally crossed for you...seems to be a lot of people needing that about now...

Posted by: Jean at September 18, 2009 9:31 AM

fingers crossed and positive thoughts coming your way.

I would be Super-Krush and I would want to be able to fly...imagine no rush-hour traffic to deal with!!

Posted by: Krush at September 18, 2009 10:00 AM

I am so proud to be from MN today. Now if we could just get rid of our damn governor, who seems determined to make Sarah Palin look reasonable and smart.

I'd want to fly. I'm too clumsy for invisible to do me any good.

Posted by: julie at September 18, 2009 10:06 AM

that poor guy with the condo reminds me of the family that recently built their whole dream house on a piece of property that they thought they bought... when in fact they bought the useless, unsellable piece of canyon next to the house. and the family that really owns the property with the house on it is not only not interested in selling but is pissed about the house. how does this stuff happen?!

i will not be trying stereogram tetris. period.

and wow, al franken. that's awesome.

(good luck for whatever we're wishing you good luck for :)

Posted by: kati at September 18, 2009 11:09 AM

*cough*

I do believe that I suggested your weekly hypothetical.

*cough*

Fingers and toes crossed for you, dude. And I'd be invisible, because think of all of the mischief I could do.

Posted by: Angella at September 18, 2009 11:14 AM

I, SuperKim, would have to go with invisibility. Then, maybe I could sneak into the bathroom and pee without the kids wandering in to chat with me.

I, SuperKim, also think that all senators should be required to draw a map of the US from memory. If that doesn't work, they should at least be able to name the states (along with capital cities) on an already drawn map. Is that too much to ask?

And I'll be sending happy thoughts your way - "super" happy thoughts, that is.

Posted by: Kim at September 18, 2009 11:58 AM

I so wanted to love Soy Joy bars. Sadly, your evaluation is spot on.

Super-Human should suffice, for me, I think.

Posted by: Jennifer at September 18, 2009 12:19 PM

Wait. How does one have the wrong condo remodeled? I mean, being in real estate I guess it is possible, but still... WTF? Was he in a coma?

I'll go with super-replication. Then with 5 or 6 of me I can get writing projects done, clean the toilet , make dinner and read blogs all at the same time.

Have a good weekend.

Posted by: CK Lunchbox at September 18, 2009 4:23 PM

Super-SUPAHMAMA! i'd totally be invisible... because then i could go for starbucks runs without the babies noticing i'm gone... i could also convince my toddler that i really DO know what he's doing AT ALL TIMES. also? i'm glad to hear i'm not the only person who thinks soyjoy bars are BLAH. more like soysuck.

Posted by: Supahmama at September 19, 2009 10:00 AM

I'm Super-Duper-Man. I can do anything except Stereogram games. I think I burst a vessel in my head playing Stereogram Tetris. Thanks a lot, Lex Cactus!

Posted by: Hancock at September 19, 2009 9:04 PM

Haha! I love it when things taste like feet. Wait, that came out wrong. I mean, it always cracks me up when people describe things as tasting like feet. I don't know why.

Flying would be really cool, but I think I'd have to go with invisibility. Seems like you could put that to real-life advantage more, like being able to dig up dirt on your enemies, going outside without having to put on pants, and convincing people you are a vampire-"Look, my reflection doesn't show up in a mirror."

Posted by: Dreamybee at September 20, 2009 6:29 AM

I will keep my fingers crossed for you if you cross them for me. Mine is a big deal...

And I would be invisble.