September 17, 2009

People Behaving Badly

I tend not to tolerate stupid people all that well. Or people with bad manners. Like people who don't signal when they change lanes, people who interrupt, people who can't for the life of them listen when someone else is talking, people who feel entitled to damn near everything under the sun. And it seems like there's been an explosion of idiots lately.

Kanye West. Kanye is a loud-mouthed asshat, plain and simple. It started with his inappropriately placed claim during a Katrina relief broadcast that George Bush hated black people. Now, Dubya was an idiot but I don't think he's a racist. Over the weekend at MTV's VMAs, he stole the mic from Taylor Swift, crashing her acceptance speech, to mouth off why Beyonce should have won. If I was Taylor Swift, I'd have kicked Kanye in the nuts. Hey, President Obama described him more accurately than anything I've read - jackass.

Joe Wilson. I hate to sound all conservative Republican and shit but Joe Wilson should stop apologizing as he's claimed he's going to do. Look, I don't like the fact that within a few days of his random you lie! outburst his reelection campaign raked in $200,000. But the man apologized to the President and the President accepted. For Democrats (of which I am one) to draw this out, to formally censure him, keeps Wilson in the spotlight and severely detracts from the actual debate we should be having over healthcare reform. Wilson is a self-important, inappropriate dickhead who couldn't keep his mouth shut. End of story. Move on.

Serena Williams. First off, John McEnroe is the master of the on-court rave-out. No one holds a candle to him. Including Serena. After a foot-fault last weekend, Serena staged a first-class freak out, verbally abusing a line judge and threatening her with her racquet. Okay, I was slightly amused by the line judge scurrying away, like her feet couldn't carry her fast enough. And I don't blame her. Serena could totally kick my ass and I'm not even a little Asian lady.

Everyone In Front of Me In Traffic. I know school is back in session. There are more folks on the road. And I know we've all got places we need to be. But it took me an hour and a half to drive 26.4 miles. Seriously. I Google Mapped it. This? Is insane. Get out of my way.

Who are your asshats of the week? And where did manners go?

Posted by Chris at September 17, 2009 6:22 AM
Comments

This isn't the first time Kanye has done the stage storming either he did the same thing at a MTV Europe award show when he lost best video to someone else, he stormed the stage took the mic and declared he should have won. The guy is a grade A tool.

What was taking me 45 mins to get to work is now taking over an hour, I was just saying the other day, do these "parents" take the entire summer off from work?

Posted by: Dee at September 17, 2009 8:21 AM

The guy AT MY CHURCH who explained to me (in front of my daughter) that it's really much easier to just euthanize kids when they're babies, because they just get to be "bigger nuisances" when they're older. This was, he said, based on his experience with his own grown children.

I've never met him before; I'm going to assume that mental illness is involved in someway, because ... it has to be, right?

Posted by: julie at September 17, 2009 8:33 AM

Thank you for the comments about turn signals. I moved to the DC area in 2002 and have never adapted to the fact that cars down here apparently do NOT have turn signals.
Seriously. Is is that hard to indicated that you're going to make a left? I suppose though, when you've got one hand on your radio, and the other texting out a message on your cell phone, flicking the turn signal could be a hinderance.
Sigh... yep. Metro area drivers are my asshats.

Posted by: Annie at September 17, 2009 8:34 AM

My asshat of the week was the DirecTV customer service guy. We just got hooked up in July and have already had to switch out our HC CVR receiver twice. It was acting all funky again, we did all the resetting, refreshing, and unplugging BEFORE we called it in. He demanded we do it all over again, and after wasting another 30 minutes of his time and mine, he agreed this box is a piece of crap, too. He then proceeded to tell me it would take another 5 days for them to ship me a new box. I said hell no since next week is freaking premiere week and this is the first time we have had TV for the past 3 years and I was NOT going to miss premiere week!!! He told me my only option was to go to Best Buy and drop a couple of hundred dollars on a new DVR. I told him to send someone lickety-split to my doorstop with a new receiver in their hand or I would cancel my service due to their lack of ability to fulfill the contract. He then told me we were already outside the 90 day warranty period and could not get a service rep to our location. I informed him it had not been 90 days, he said it had, and we went back and forth like 15 times before I actually asked him to COUNT WITH ME! Ahh, sure enough, someone should be arriving this morning with a new box in hand.

Posted by: Jen at September 17, 2009 8:45 AM

Kayne wins hands down. The guy is a douchebag. And I LOVE that Obama called him a jackass. Plus, what can Kanye think now? He can't say, "He's just saying that because I'm black." Maybe he'll realize he really IS a jackass. Probably not, but that'd be great.

Also, I have been dealing with major asshats at work. I'm pretty sure yesterday was National Be a Giant Asshole day and no one told me about it!

Drivers around here (Michigan) suck too. I almost got hit five times the other day. My boyfriend says with stats like that it was at least my fault a few times. But I swear, it wasn't.

Posted by: js at September 17, 2009 9:12 AM

The recent outbursts have led me to believe that the world is coming to an end. If everyone starts acting like idiots, then the guns start coming out, we start shooting each other and then we're all gone. End of story.

Posted by: k8 at September 17, 2009 9:52 AM

All great examples of GIANT ASSHATS!~

Posted by: Maribeth at September 17, 2009 9:53 AM

Some famous photographer guy came to my workplace this week to take pictures (on donated time, whatever that means) and decided that the view out the front windows from my cubicle was the best and proceeded to set up his equipment around me - camera in the back, flash tent thing in front - without even so much as a do-you-mind, or pardon me, I'll just be a little while. Normally I would have just glared, but I was fighting a migraine so the flash was painful and I had to leave my desk until he was done. I was bitching about it to my husband he and was all "But he's famous" and my response was "He can kiss my ass. I don't care if he's famous or not, he could still be polite!" Ass.

Posted by: Elizabeth at September 17, 2009 10:25 AM

Agreed on all fronts.

Also? This morning it took me an hour and a half to go 10 miles. Yeah. So. Yeah. It sucked hard. I feel your pain.

Posted by: Caitlin at September 17, 2009 10:49 AM

I think it says something when I actually consider ramming someone when they cut me off while not using blinkers. I'm just not sure if I should be scared of myself or scared of the rest of the world.

Posted by: Hannah at September 17, 2009 11:04 AM

Agree with all your points...Asshats = drivers who throw on the brakes and screech OVER 3 LANES to get to an exit. In front of me. In the rain. I'm glad the diver behind me had good reflexes.

Posted by: Sue R at September 17, 2009 11:37 AM

That asshats of my week, and month really, are those who I have sent hundreds of resumes to and do not get any sort of response from. Not a "We filled the position" or a "You're not qualified enough" or a "We're not interested". NOTHING. How rude is that?

Posted by: Dianna at September 17, 2009 11:49 AM

Please do not get me started on the rudeness. I agree with you on all points. I'm not sure when manners fell out of fashion. Dennis Miller did a great rant on civility years ago and things have not improved.

Yesterday, the desk guy at my gym asked me where I'm from. (He is an immigrant, I cannot place his accent but I'm betting Carribean Islands.) We had the following exchange:

Me: I'm from New York.
Him: No originally, where are you from?
Me: Yes, New York. Why, where did you think I was from?
He thought I was European- Romania or someplace like that. He said part of it is beacuse "you are so polite. Not that people aren't nice here..."

So what does that tell you?

Posted by: Annie at September 17, 2009 1:23 PM

I don't know about you but if I decide to be nice, and stop, wave you into traffic because you're waiting and nobody will let you in - you'd damn well better raise that hand and wave a thank you back to me. WTF? This thank you wave is absent more and more lately and it's really starting to piss me off!

Posted by: Rose Winters at September 17, 2009 2:28 PM

If I were Serena, I would have flipped out, too. That line judge played God. Dude, it's a sport where we want to see the athletes PLAY, but instead, now we all know a line judge's feelings matter. It's very high stakes. If you don't want to deal with that, go judge high school tennis.

Posted by: alektra at September 18, 2009 3:00 AM

I agree that what Kanye West did to Taylor Swift was messed up, and I am not really a fan of his, but I just wanted to clarify something. The comment he made about George Bush was not that he hates black people but, "George Bush doesn't care about black people." I, too, doubt that George Bush hates black people--but I do think there was something terribly wrong about the way that the response to Katrina was handled, and I am prone to agree that maybe George Bush doesn't care about black people all that much. I think that the clip shows that Kanye West was in a very emotional place, however inappropriate. That being said, he needs to learn how to be an adult--and role model--and stop thinking he can do and say whatever he wants whenever he wants.

PS Sorry for the super long comment--I really enjoy reading your blog, and I hope that you don't take this as me trying to argue with you.

Posted by: Erin at September 19, 2009 7:30 PM

Thank God I don't do Karaoke. Wouldn't surprise me if Kanye West interrupts that shouting "Beyonce is better!"

Posted by: Hancock at September 19, 2009 8:47 PM