October 14, 2009

Recent Dream (Or, I'm Slowly Losing My Mind)

It's quite possible that I'm going insane. This would not be a shock to most of you. If we're being honest with each other, it's been a long time coming. Proof? A recent dream.

I was with a couple of friends in an average library, like the neighborhood library you visited when you were in elementary school or the one you headed to in high school when you had to finish a research paper and needed to actually cite sources instead of just making shit up (not that I ever tried that). Except, in the back of the library was a giant stage which looked as if it was lifted out of any major arena. And on stage, in a hail of blue lights, was the band Rush. Except it wasn't like modern Rush. It was 80's Rush, complete with mullets and parachute pants. They were playing quite loudly and there were lots of folks really rocking out but the minute you went back into the library part of the building, it was quiet. Weird. On the other side of the library was a set of double-doors. Going through them, you'd find yourself in a long, windy tunnel, dark with faint traces of red lights. At the end of the corridor was a strip club.

For some strange reason, my best childhood friend was also there. We were our current ages. Brian had turned out to be gay, which we all knew at the time anyway - he was apparently the last to get the memo. He was catching a flight back to Houston at midnight. We were busy checking out books and he wanted to head to a local Chinese food place for eggrolls before going to the airport. The guy checking us out was one of my current clients. He wore a sidearm. Apparently we were in a dangerous library. A dangerous rockin' library. Or he doubled as a bouncer for the strip club. It was unclear. There was also a hot chick who kept roaming through the library asking everyone if they'd read Watership Down. I told her I hadn't. (I really haven't.) Then Brian and I argued over which one of us got to ask her out. I reminded him he was gay. I don't remember if she and I ever hooked up. I suspect not. I'm sure she frowned upon my lack of literary prowess.

So, I ask you - is this a sign of impending insanity? Is a rubber room in my future? And what could a dream like this - especially one featuring mullets and classic literature I've never read - possibly mean? What are your weirdest most recent dreams?

Posted by Chris at October 14, 2009 5:40 AM
Comments

I have a lot of weird dreams and I remember a lot of details because I'm such a light sleeper. Sounds like a great dream to me. And I still go to the library, it beats paying for books.

I have bizarre dreams about people I haven't seen or talked too in years, about my exhusband, about people I never care to see again etc.

I was just thinking you had watched a marathon of Freaks and Geeks with your Rush reference or any Judd Apatow movie.

Posted by: Dee at October 14, 2009 7:49 AM

I think it's safe to say you are not going nuts, you're dreams just wanted to keep up w/ the rest of your "colorful" life, wanted to compete w/ the bathroom encounters ;)

I had a dream not too long ago that my dad died and no one told me. None of my family even thought to call and say "hey daddy kicked the bucket," it was a little disturbing.

Posted by: Kris at October 14, 2009 8:42 AM

If she wouldn't hook up with you because you hadn't read Watership Down, it's her loss. His other novel, Traveler, was much better.

Verdict: not crazy. :)

Posted by: Julie at October 14, 2009 8:45 AM

I'm surprized you haven't read Watership Down, given your unabashed bibliophelia. I read it when I was a teen, and recall it being one of few books I was actually quite sad to see end. Make it a goal to read it before the year's out. I know you can. :)

As for the rest, I recently had a dream of old rocketships falling form the sky, and geeks wearing hazmat suits and tinfoil looking for a lost Nintendo sound effects generator.

Needless to say, you'd better be perfectly normal, or I'm truly gone fishing.

Posted by: Martin at October 14, 2009 9:23 AM

Nope, not crazy. I have always had wacked-out dreams. My dad used to warn me to keep them to myself or I'd get locked away! Over the last year or so though, I've been having dreams that are so mundane that I'm frequently unsure as to whether or not the things I dreamed about actually happened or if they were a dream. It's kind of disorienting at times. I think I prefer the dreams where I'm sure I've been dreaming - at least that way I can keep the "real world" and my subconscious separated :)

Posted by: Elizabeth at October 14, 2009 9:30 AM

It means you should read Watership Down. It is a very good book.

Posted by: jessica at October 14, 2009 9:44 AM

If crazy dreams meant we're nuts, you'll have a lot of good company.

I like Watership Down. You could read it in an hour or so. It's short.

Posted by: Ann Adams at October 14, 2009 9:47 AM

Ha! Funny you should mention dreams. I texted my best friend this morning and said, "I dreamed you were moving to Detroit. WTF is up with that?"

What is in DETROIT of all places? Good Lord.

Posted by: k8 at October 14, 2009 10:05 AM

I read Watership Down! Although I have to admit it was so long ago, I can't really remember the plot.

I would say your subconscious was trying to combine your love of music with your love of books by creating a library/rock arena.

Posted by: bad penguin at October 14, 2009 10:25 AM

Call me crazy, but it sounds like you need a "guys night out."

Posted by: Jen at October 14, 2009 10:30 AM

Mine seem to focus around fleeing some unknown aggressor lately. I run all around town trying to get away from this person who drives a black govt. type sedan. I have no idea why they are chasing me or who it may be but now that I think about it, maybe it's Cheney wanting me to go hunting.

Posted by: Jeff A at October 14, 2009 10:39 AM

question: is brian gay in real life or the dream, it seemed unclear. if not, does he know you dream that he is gay...guess he does now.
my most recent vivid dream was my friend who passed away this year, in real life, ask me to tell me husband that she wants purple tulips on her grave. does this make me a medium?
:) maria

Posted by: Maria at October 14, 2009 11:01 AM

Maybe you secretly want to go to a strip club and are hoping that they play some vintage Rush while you are there and knowing that Beth would disapprove of your outing, the "library" is your cover up and when asked why you went to the librabry, it was because you wanted to read Watership Down

Posted by: Darren at October 14, 2009 11:07 AM

i recently had a dream involving homeless people and coleslaw without mayo.

and the other night i dreamed i made a flatbread with gorgonzola and yellow kiwi slices.

i've had weird dreams on a regular basis since i was a toddler and told my parents that i had a dream about daffodils wearing panties.

Posted by: kati at October 14, 2009 11:14 AM

I have weird dreams often, I rarely remember them as clearly as yours though. The only thing that will make you go crazy is overanalyzing and reading too much into it. Ps I saw rush last year and they may not be stuck in a time warp but many of their fans are. Also to the commenter who dreamed about her friend moving to Detroit, it's a great place to live!!

Posted by: Andrea at October 14, 2009 12:35 PM

Quite literally, I have been too tired to dream. I have been sleeping like the dead and when I am this tired I don't dream. I miss it, 'cause usually my dreams are totally awesome and insane. My favorite reoccurring one is when I am flying. Minus a plane. I'm able to just fly all over the place on my own and I love it!

Posted by: Maribeth at October 14, 2009 1:01 PM

From this side of the screen, it's just as likely that your dream is the "real" world, and this whole business with Beth and children is the crazy made up stuff. Either way, mental illness seems as likely as bad meat before bed.

On the up side, if your future dementia involves hot chicks, libraries rocking out to Rush, and chinese food, I'd say the future is looking bright.

Posted by: metawizard at October 14, 2009 2:22 PM

I think it was your mind giving you a new business plan except maybe it should be a book store and a strip club with a concert venue inside. (It's hard to make a profit in a library) I could live without the mullets... what about Metallica?

Posted by: Rose Winters at October 14, 2009 3:33 PM

The only insane thing is that you publicly acknowledged that you may or may not have hooked up with a hot chick in your dream. I mean, everybody *does* that but nobody *admits* it to their spouse.

Also, I hate Rush. Always have. That has nothing to do with anything, but I take every opportunity to spread The Word.

Posted by: harmzie at October 14, 2009 7:37 PM

Maybe you've had banned (band) books on the brain lately? Haha!

My weirdest most recent dream is too weird to recount here. It wasn't cool weird, it was the disturbing, wake-up-freaking-out kind of weird. Not cool.

Posted by: Dreamybee at October 14, 2009 10:02 PM

I hate it when I get too busy to keep up with my blog reader and I get here so late - but it's fun reading everyone's comments :)

Sounds to me like you're trying to decide which world you belong in. Academic (library) world? Rock music (fun) world? Risky grown-up world (that you even self-sensored by hiding it beyond a tunnel, so maybe you're not feeling ready for that yet)... Past (80's Rush)? Present (Library)? Future (tunnel)?

You moved freely between the worlds, so there's a suggestion that you could go where you like, but the future through the tunnel's a bit unknown/scary/risky.

Maybe when you're asleep your brain was using the downtime to do some background processing on the problem. Now you're done with your big work thing looks like you're reassessing where you're headed next. Wherever you head for I bet you throw your whole self into it.

Posted by: Jo MacD at October 15, 2009 4:24 AM

My weirdest one is a sure sign I have to stop reading and watching True Blood… Dead bodies behind the sofa..
Telling you about the details would both weird and gross you (and your readers) out big style.

Suffice it to say that I have borrowed a stack of “chick-lit” from a colleague as I feel a need for light, fluffy and brainless after the blood and gore of “fantasy/vampire-ville”. Not at all what I read usually but feel pretty sure it won’t leave me dreaming about frantically trying to find a pencil because a pen through the heart of an attacking vampire just won’t cut it!

Posted by: Mieneke at October 15, 2009 7:17 AM