October 26, 2009

Catching Up

The last week and a half have been completely hectic and surreal and it feels like at least a year has elapsed. I'm finally headed back to work and realizing that so much has happened in the interim. Here's the run down.

Thursday, October 15. We dropped Mia off at school and headed to the train station. Three hours later we found ourselves deep in the heart of a very rainy and very cold Manhattan. We checked into our hotel and after drying off and changing clothes, we found ourselves at dinner with Marshall Karp and his wife. Then we met his dog Kylie.
LW1.jpg
Friday, October 16. The weather in NYC broke and we ended up walking the length of Manhattan. Well, not quite but almost. After a jaunt through Central Park, we hit the Apple store on Fifth Avenue where I picked up my brand spankin' new iPhone. After that it was more walking, down to Battery Park and the financial district to Ground Zero then a cab back up to midtown, dinner and a show. The dinner was great. The show - Next to Normal - was heavy and surreal. Heavy because you don't find many musicals that deal with severe mental issues and the breakup of a family. Surreal because halfway through the first act, a woman a few aisles in front of us stood up and screamed for a doctor because her sister was dead. Seriously. The show was stopped while doctors rushed to her, ambulances and police were called. The woman eventually made it to the back of the theater under her own power and the show started again.

LW2.jpg

Saturday, October 17. Another jaunt through Manhattan with a few stops on Fifth Avenue and a side trip through the Museum of Modern Art (weird stuff) then we were off to an early show - 39 Steps, a brilliant and hilarious takeoff on Hitchcock's movie of the same name - and dinner at one of our favorite restaurants. We rolled out of the restaurant two hours later and made a few loops through Times Square before calling it a night.

Sunday, October 18. The sky opened up on our last morning in the city. We hit a museum instead of walking in the rain. We stopped and picked up some sandwiches then headed to Penn Station and caught the train home. And saw our kids. The smiles on their faces were awesome as they caught sight of the car turning the corner. We were so glad to be home.LW3.jpg

Monday, October 19. Mia started breathing hard. And it quickly went downhill. In the mean time, I sat in the dentist chair and got a temporary crown. We booked a pediatrician appointment for Mia but after getting there, Beth was told to take Mia to the emergency room. Which she did. Mia was put on oxygen immediately and admitted a few hours later. Both Beth and I commenced freaking out. There's nothing quite so bad as holding your child down while she's given an IV.

Tuesday, October 20. Mia still in the hospital. I relieve Beth around 11:00, giving her the chance to come home, see Owen, take a shower and nap. In spite of the oxygen masks, breathing treatments, cords and tubes running into my daughter, we had a nice afternoon. By four, having slept precisely two hours the night before, Mia was wiped out. When Beth returned, they sacked out and I returned home to hang with Owen. We ate pizza, watched Scooby Doo and slept, cuddling in the morning when we both awoke.
LW4.jpg

Wednesday, October 21. Another long night for Mia and Beth, but better than the previous evening. More oxygen, more breathing treatments. Then, thank god, home. We chilled out the rest of the day, let the kids watch just about as much TV as they wanted and got prescriptions filled. And we all slept in our own beds under the same roof. Finally.

Thursday, October 22. No school for Mia but a follow-up doctors visit and a diagnosis that makes sense - cats! Yep, Mia is apparently more allergic to cats than we'd previously thought.

Friday, October 23. Still no school for Mia. Instead a trip to the mall to get her Ariel Halloween costume. And Scooby-Doo for Owen. The boy loves Scooby Doo.

Saturday, October 24. Pumpkins! We loaded up on pumpkins to decorate, hit the grocery store (filling more prescriptions) then spent the afternoon at home, being playful and crafty

Sunday, October 25. Mia resumed her swimming lessons while Beth and I quietly freaked out over what looked like an increase in breathing difficulty. Mia had an event at her school that she attended after which she made a quick trip to the pediatrician.

Monday, October 26. Oh, hi. I think you're caught up.

Posted by Chris at October 26, 2009 7:03 AM
Comments

Such a busy few weeks for you, glad you came out standing. Have you downloaded the fart apps. for you phone yet? No? What are you waiting for? I too have a cat allergy that presents as asthma. My kids have severe asthma as well. Not fun. Don't mess with it and stay in touch with your doctor. I am so glad that Mia is all right. Enjoy the relative quiet of your office today. I am traveling home after a girl's weekend. Back to reality.

Posted by: Christy at October 26, 2009 7:58 AM

Thank you for buying an IPhone and raising up my parents stock in Apple. HA!

Glad to know Mia is doing so much better, broke my heart to see her in her hospital bed with the oxygen mask on.

Tough break on the cats! I'm guessing she loves the little guys.

Posted by: Dee at October 26, 2009 8:10 AM

Not to make light of the hospital ordeal with Mia because I know that that just sucks...but I seceretly keep my fingers crosses that someone in my family develops an allergy to our pets so I can get rid of them....the pets, get rid of the pets, not the person.

Posted by: William at October 26, 2009 8:16 AM

Okay, I was doing pretty well until I saw Mia with the oxygen mask, then I started crying. Glad she is so much better now and getting back to her normal routine.
Hugs all around!!!

Posted by: Maribeth at October 26, 2009 8:19 AM

Oh so glad that Mia is doing better! Cats?!? are you serious? She didn't have something else going on too? Yikes, that is scary!

When Elliot was in the hospital, he absolutely refused to wear the mask and they had to put a tent up around him :( until he was well enough to wear the cannula up his nose. That went over really well with a 3 year old, let me tell you! Elliot (who turned 6 today!) is sick again, but I hope we have no hospital in our future. H1N1, I think, as it is running rampant around here.

Glad things are returning to somewhat normal for you. And remember "May you live in interesting times" is a curse, not a blessing :)

Posted by: Elizabeth at October 26, 2009 8:58 AM

I'm so glad she's okay. It must have been terrifying for all of you.

Posted by: Ann Adams at October 26, 2009 9:44 AM

Oh, my God, that picture breaks my heart.

Posted by: caleal at October 26, 2009 9:51 AM

I must be missing something here...cats? Did the doctor say Mia's pneumonia was from cats? I recall she's allergic but...wow. Was she around cats when you were in NYC? I'm a little confused b/c wouldnt those symptoms have started a lot sooner?

In any case i'm glad she's ok.

Posted by: jessica at October 26, 2009 10:07 AM

Way to pack in the fun guys!

My son (now 6 yo) has called his nebulizer a "nerdulizer" since he started using it (rarely, thankfully) at about age 3. You are welcome to call it that as well, I'm sure.

Posted by: nrbp at October 26, 2009 10:29 AM

NY sounds like it was amazing!!

Glad to hear the mighty Bean is doing better, and that you're little family is all back under the same roof as it should be.

And when you're done recovering from work & stress, etc I demand to see pictures of the punkins, pretty please? lol

Posted by: Kris at October 26, 2009 11:10 AM

NY sounds like it was amazing!!

Posted by: Kris at October 26, 2009 11:21 AM

So was it pneumonia or was it a cat-induced asthma attack? Or both?

I'm glad everyone is back and sleeping together at home. I've always loved that feeling anyway, and to be without it for so long certainly would make you miss it and appreciate it even more.

Posted by: Brad at October 26, 2009 11:37 AM

I am so glad Mia is home and you are all together again!! That photo about broke my heart...and would have if I hadn't read that she was better and already home.

Posted by: Krush at October 26, 2009 11:44 AM

Cats for our daughter, too. We had a new cat in our house for a week before she all of a sudden stopped breathing, turned blue, and was covered in welts the size of my fist. When I called 911, they told me to bring her outside and wait for the ambulance there.....by the time they got there, she was breathing again, but still covered in welts. It took two weeks, several hundred dollars in cleaning supplies and special filters to remove every spec of cat hair and dander, couple thousand dollar ER bill, and a 2-week stay in a hotel before we could return home with her and she could breathe without getting welts. It was A_W_E_S_O_M_E!

We have since found out that she is NOT allergic to rabbits, so they finally get pets after years of being a pet-less home.

Posted by: Jen at October 26, 2009 12:05 PM

I was brave last night because there was a kid watching me get an IV. But I freaked out once it was over and the kid was gone. I HATE IV'S, MIA! HUGS.

Posted by: alektra at October 26, 2009 12:18 PM

What a crazy, crazy, crazy few weeks. Here is to some normalcy.

Posted by: DCUrbanDad at October 26, 2009 2:07 PM

ahhhh. dudes. I am sorry.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at October 26, 2009 2:56 PM

Have you had cats all this time or did she meet some at a friends house? I'm so glad she's doing better Chris :)

Posted by: Rose Winters at October 26, 2009 4:13 PM

That was a week to trump all crazy weeks.
I am so relieved Mia is in full recovery mode.

Posted by: Cri at October 26, 2009 4:37 PM

Oh, that picture of her in the hospital bed. It just breaks my heart! I'm so glad the Cactus-Fish family is getting back to normal!

Posted by: Stephanie at October 26, 2009 9:32 PM

Seriously? A woman thought her sister was dead during a show? Wow. Totally surreal.

And I completely understand about the cat allergy thing. I'm horribly allergic to cats, and my new boss just took in a stray, so I've been suffering for the last couple of weeks. People who don't have cat allergies don't get it though. They don't understand that just being around someone with a cat can be enough. I've actually had to walk out of meetings because I couldn't breathe well. I sure hope Mia gets squared away and feels 100% soon.

Posted by: coolchick at October 26, 2009 11:00 PM

Wow Chris, what a week for you and your family. So glad everything ended on a good note with a few bright spots in between the dark ones.

Posted by: Chrissy at October 27, 2009 1:35 AM

Awww, poor Mia! And poor you! What a week you guys had. I'm glad she's OK now. Hugs!

Posted by: Nadine at October 27, 2009 10:21 AM

And also; we'll be in NYC (and Florida) this December! I'll look into the show you posted here.

Posted by: Nadine at October 27, 2009 10:23 AM

I was out of town last week when the health scare with Mia happened. I saw the pics first and immediately my heart flopped.
I am so glad to hear that she is ok. Having even the possibility of anything bad happend to your children is the worst feeling ever!

Many hugs!
Varinia

Posted by: varinia at October 27, 2009 11:08 AM

Many hugs!
Varinia

Posted by: varinia at October 27, 2009 11:08 AM

If you are willing to buy real estate, you will have to get the loans. Furthermore, my sister all the time utilizes a sba loan, which occurs to be the most fast.

Posted by: Mercedes23Riggs at June 30, 2011 10:18 AM