October 12, 2009

Children of the Corn

Every so often - very rarely - you encounter the absolute perfect weekend. I mean, so perfect that you have to pinch yourself to make sure that what's happening is real, that it isn't some kind of cruel dream that makes reality pale in comparison. This was just such a weekend.

P1040059%20copy_sm.jpg

On Friday night, to celebrate our anniversary, Beth and I ditched the kids with my parents and we went out to eat. It was a fantastic fall evening. We sat outside in the breeze, devouring pasta. There are worse ways to spend an evening. And in the company of my wife of ten years, the night was priceless.

I woke up at 6:30 on Saturday, Owen in tow. The phone rang which, at that hour, means its important. And it was. An hour later and my niece was our houseguest for the day. Two hours later, I was an uncle. Again. My niece spent the day with us while her mom, dad and new sister rested and did all the things new parents do. We played, laughed, visited fire trucks and took long walks. When the day was through and my niece was off with her grandparents for the night, we collapsed, spent, realizing again that the three kid thing wasn't for us. But we'd had a fantastic day, all five of us.

And then on Sunday, it happened. The perfect moment. Owen woke up early and crashed with Beth and I. Around 6:30, Mia woke up, wandered into our room and climbed in on my side of the bed, and cuddled. The early autumn breeze floated in our open windows, curtains flew, and the warmth of the blankets and family were that much warmer. A square of light from the rising sun fell on the bed and crept its way up to my daughter's head. Her hair caught fire in the light and she glowed as if made of light and magic. And in a sense she is. Then Owen got up and sat on my head. The moment was brief but ever so perfect.

We got up, treated the kids (and ourselves) to doughnuts, then packed ourselves up and headed to a local corn maze. We got lost (intentionally) but eventually found our way out. The kids loved it. And so did we. Then we did all kids of other fall festival-type things. We spent the entire day outside, soaking in the wonderful weather. The kids collapsed as soon as night fell. We followed soon after.

P1040046copysm.jpg

Perfection is rare and fleeting. The fact that it's Monday is proof. But I hope you all had wonderful weekends. What did you do? And what's the last perfect moment you recall?

Posted by Chris at October 12, 2009 7:00 AM
Comments

Two weekends ago we had an out of town wedding. My oldest son happens to be stationed (Army) near there and was able to attend. We all met at a hotel and all three boys, my husband and I and one girlfriend all got ready together in one room! We were laughing, the boys were teasing each other as they watched a football game and I paused as I realized, I have all my children together and that is a rare thing for us these days. It was definately a "time in a bottle" moment. Im glad you had a nice weekend. Happy Anniversary.

Posted by: Debbie at October 12, 2009 7:29 AM

I was a bit frightened to read this post, Nothing scares me more than to hear the words "He wants you too Malachai" *shivers*

Glad you had a great weekend

Posted by: Dee at October 12, 2009 7:53 AM

Saturday we left the house around 9am to head to the cottage for an overnighter. Spent the morning watching my nieces at a horse show - ok, didn't really watch just talked to their mother. Later went on a walk at a state park on the trails to explore.
Then went back home to watch UConn blow a 15 point lead to Penn State and lose by 3 in the last seconds AGAIN.
Came home Sunday morning and picked up son at college and went to watch BIL coach the offense of Dean College as they wallopped the Yale JV team.
Home again, day off today, taking my "little" to the corn maze and will be anxiously awaiting the hour that I can call the Juror Phone Number to see if I have to show up for Jury Duty tomorrow morning.

Posted by: NancyJ at October 12, 2009 8:03 AM

Wonderful. Take this memory, tie it up with a golden bow and put it in your magical box of treasures. These are rainy day remembrances that will get you through those tough times.

Posted by: Maribeth at October 12, 2009 8:49 AM

What a wonderful thing to get to remember! My perfect moment was sitting in the backyard, watching the snow fall on the last of my garden. It was glorious.

Posted by: k8 at October 12, 2009 8:51 AM

Your weekend sounds awesome. My husband ran a 5k on Saturday and in the afternoon, we went to the pumpkin patch, which I love. But the last perfect moment was on July 4th; we set up the kiddie pool for my son and my husband and I got to relax in it too, with margaritas. It all seemed so perfect and just NICE. :)

Posted by: Claire at October 12, 2009 9:26 AM

We drove up to Omaha (3.5 hours) to visit a huge pumpkin patch/amusement park. There were 10 of us, which was fun and also logistically challenging. Also? Snow. On October 10th. So, we re-arranged plans a bit and swapped days and viola, everyone had a great time. The corn maze was fun, too.

Good weekends had by all!

Posted by: Brad at October 12, 2009 10:06 AM

i had a good weekend, especially after coming back from my business trip to dc- i was so exhausted. and then i quit my job, LOL, after hubby & decided it was the best decision.

Your weekend sounds PERFECT! and congrats to you & beth on your anniversary.

Posted by: la petite belle at October 12, 2009 10:25 AM

Those perfect days, as the kids get older, will be fewer and farther between.

Posted by: William at October 12, 2009 11:13 AM

sounds wonderful! the weekend was fun. maybe not top five, but fun :)

Posted by: kati at October 12, 2009 12:25 PM

You guys make me smile. That's the kind of weekend everyone should get to have once in a while, even if it's just a little while.

Posted by: Lisa Eggleston at October 12, 2009 1:07 PM

Posted by: Lisa Eggleston at October 12, 2009 1:07 PM

On Friday my Dad and his wife showed up for the weekend. On Saturday, we went with them to celebrate his sister's 75th and catch up with some family we don't see very often. The baby was pretty well-behaved. He hugged all my aunt's plaster dogs. Big T was shy and clung to my side. Saturday evening my girlfriends showed up from NorCal and we went to see Warrant in a small club near my house. We stood right up front, close enough that I had to step back to avoid being hit by 1) a mike stand, 2) a guitar, and 3) the singer's crotch. We knew every song, and both the bass player and guitarist pointed out and "awesome!'ed" my 20 year old tour shirt, and then the other guitarist signed my LP of their first record and a roadie sought us out after the show, said we rocked and gave us the set lists and my friend's sister got a drumstick. Sunday I had my daughter's picture taken in her v. awesome Luna Lovegood costume, and she looks great. This morning I met with her teacher because it's midterm and Mrs. S had nothing but awesomeness to convey about my awesome kid.

Posted by: Brooke at October 12, 2009 1:46 PM

Sounds like a gooder, for sure! :) We spent the weekend celebrating Thanksgiving (good ol' Canadian calendar!) and my grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary. It was lovely. Here's to 50 more (and then some!) for you!

Posted by: Heather at October 12, 2009 2:27 PM

Your weekend sounds amazing! I'm delighted for you :)
I actually got a hug from my incredible grumpasaurus teenage son, and it was out of the blue!!! Awesomeness personified :) My sweet boy is still in there somewhere!

Posted by: laineyDid at October 12, 2009 7:36 PM

My weekend was actually awesome - with my kids getting to spend lots of time with family... I had an amazing run on Saturday - but better than that, got fabulous pictures of the changing colors of the leaves. I love getting a good shot.

And then, me and my kids made bagels from scratch - and the moment of eating them hot out of the oven was perfect.

Posted by: sarah at October 13, 2009 9:35 AM

That's a terrible title for such a sweet post rofl. I watched that movie too many times as a child and to this day am still uneasy around corn fields :P

Posted by: Katie at October 13, 2009 5:04 PM

My husband has been getting progressively depressed and burned out by all of the layoffs happening and pending at his job (he is safe at least for now).

This morning we got out of bed to pee and let the dogs out-
and then all got back into bed, pulled the dogs under the blankets, made a tent and stuck our heads under it too- and all cuddled together. It rocked :-) Those morning moments are the best.

Posted by: Karen at November 6, 2009 8:10 PM