October 22, 2009

Home

Mia is home. She arrived with attitude, enthusiasm, accessories like a nebulizer and an armload of prescriptions but without wires, tubes and monitors. Mia Unplugged. She's home and we are thrilled. Especially Owen who screamed MIA! at the top of his lungs for an hour when I told him she was coming home.

Mia's got more medicine to take, more breathing treatments and follow-up doctors visits. She's not done with this yet. But with a little patience, we're hoping that the worst is over. What I do know is this. It's fantastic feeling to see my daughter laughing her ass off. And having the whole family under the same roof again.

Thank you guys for your support.

Posted by Chris at October 22, 2009 12:05 PM
Comments

Mia Unplugged. Happy happy news.

Posted by: Angela at October 22, 2009 12:10 PM

HOORAY!!! Good news! Hugs all around the the Cactus-Fish Family!!

Posted by: Amy at October 22, 2009 12:11 PM

I am so happy that she is home.

Posted by: Amber at October 22, 2009 12:14 PM

Oh Chris (and Beth)! I am so so sorry that I haven't realized that Mia has been so very super sick. And in the hospital!!! Yikes! Usually I click through from the email feed, but it hasn't been popping up...anyway. I'm sending prayers NOW that sweet Mia continues to get well. And that you all recover from the worry and anxiety from having your girl in the hospital...love reading that Owen loves her so. Sending LOVE to Mia Bean.

Posted by: Sam at October 22, 2009 12:49 PM

YEA!So happy to hear she's home and safe. I hope she's back to 100% soon!

Posted by: TUWABVB at October 22, 2009 12:52 PM

So happy she's home and on the mend.

Posted by: donna at October 22, 2009 12:53 PM

OMG, Chris. I'm so sorry. I'm just now reading up on all this and I feel terrible for not sending you well wishes before now. I can't imagine how difficult the last few days have been for you guys. Thank goodness she's home and getting better. It's so terrifying in these days of "pandemic illness" to not totally freak out. Lyla was feeling off yesterday and it's probably her molars making an appearance, but of course I immediately think the worse. What a shitty place we live in right now: Fear.

Anyway, rambling. Sorry. SO GLAD you're all home. Hugs and good thoughts to all of you.

Posted by: Pocklock at October 22, 2009 1:03 PM

Safely home and warmly welcomed. God, I love how much Owen loves his sister.

Posted by: k8 at October 22, 2009 1:10 PM

Mia Unplugged is good news of great joy.

Posted by: Angella at October 22, 2009 1:14 PM

Glad she's home and doing better. I will keep her in my prayers till she is fully recovered.

Posted by: Jeff a at October 22, 2009 1:16 PM

Praise God and modern medicine!

On the breathing treatments - one thing that really helped my youngest (asthmatic, we've been through pneumonia three times now) is putting a little schmeer of lip balm (he loves the Bonnie Bell Dr. Pepper kind) inside the oxygen mask for both the breathing treatments and whenever he's had to wear a mask. It makes a very sucky situation just a little less sucky for him.

I am so glad you and your family were loved up by friends and family, both the "real" kind and the "internet" kind. We are all connected.

Posted by: Mindy at October 22, 2009 1:29 PM

Hugs to all of you. I'm so glad she's home and feeling better. Sophie gets asthma attacks that are very scary. You are all in my thoughts.

Posted by: erika at October 22, 2009 1:37 PM

Yay! Word to the wise from the mommy doc...if albuterol makes her too wacky or jittery, ask for xopenex. We tend to alternate them or save the xop for the just before bed/middle of the night treatments. Makes a huge difference. And sometimes prednisolone makes kids "sad." Goes away quick once they're off of it. Whew. I'll stop dispensing unsolicited and anecdotal medical advice now. Glad to hear she's at home.

Posted by: rebecca at October 22, 2009 1:39 PM

YAYYYY! This is the best thing I've heard all week :-)

Posted by: Dawn at October 22, 2009 1:40 PM

Good news indeed, Chris. Hopefully her recovery will go even faster now that she is home with you.

Posted by: Jon (was) in Michigan at October 22, 2009 1:45 PM

Wow, missed all the goings-on while I was off the grid tending to my swine-flu'ed husband. Sorry I wasn't around to offer my support. My daughter has had pneumonia a couple times. They finally diagnosed asthma triggered by colds. So we watched every cold like hawks as any time a fever arrived with the cough, we trucked down to the doctor for antibiotics. She is ten now and seems to have outgrown all that. She doesn't even take her steroid inhaler anymore. Best wishes for Mia and hope her lungs will be strong enough soon to say "pish!" to pneumonia. Our docs told us that once you get pneumonia, you are more susceptible to getting it again. Don't know if that's true, but there you go.

Glad everyone's home. I don't mind doctors at all, but I cried when they said my son had to have tubes put in his ears when he was barely one. It's a 5-minute outpatient procedure but that did not prevent me from freaking right the hell out.

Grace and peace.

Posted by: Brooke at October 22, 2009 1:46 PM

Wishing her a continued speedy recovery. So glad to hear the good news!

Posted by: laineyDid at October 22, 2009 1:57 PM

Wishing her a continued speedy recovery. So glad to hear the good news!

Posted by: laineyDid at October 22, 2009 1:57 PM

With tears in my eyes I am doing one special "Happy Dance" up here in New Hampshire!

Posted by: Maribeth at October 22, 2009 1:58 PM

So happy she is home and doing better!! Here's to a quick and complete recovery so she can jump on couches with Owen soon!!!

Posted by: Krush at October 22, 2009 2:31 PM

Great news! Hugs to you all.

Posted by: Leeri at October 22, 2009 2:48 PM

I'm really sorry about Mia. I haven't visited either yours or Beth's websites for a long time but it really upset me when I heard that Mia was in hospital. I'm so glad that she's back home now and getting better. I can't imagine how worried you both were. Send her my love and positive thoughts.

Posted by: Katy at October 22, 2009 2:51 PM

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Mia, kick pneumonia in the junk. :*

Posted by: alektra at October 22, 2009 3:32 PM

Does Mia's nebulizer have a cool face on the mask? Cooper's has a fish face. Glad she is home!!

Posted by: MidLifeMama at October 22, 2009 4:19 PM

SO good that she is home. Take care, all of you.

Posted by: Erin Oltmanns at October 22, 2009 4:22 PM

SO good that she is home. Take care, all of you.

Posted by: Erin Oltmanns at October 22, 2009 4:22 PM

Whew and yay!

Posted by: Carolyn at October 22, 2009 6:08 PM

Great news! I am so glad to hear she is home!

Posted by: kali at October 22, 2009 6:08 PM

I'm so happy that she's home and feeling better! What a scary situation but I'm glad you all made it through.
Hugs all around!

Posted by: NancyJ at October 22, 2009 6:10 PM

Woo hoo! That is excellent news! Glad she's home and on the mend!

Posted by: erin at October 22, 2009 6:18 PM

Man, how did I miss all this? I'm so glad she's home and doing better.

Posted by: Magnolia Mom at October 22, 2009 6:19 PM

Thank God. I am really happy to hear this. I have caused anxiety on your behalf in several of my family members and they will also be happy to hear that Mia is on the mend.
Hugs to you all and here's to keeping healthy. :)

Posted by: tulip at October 22, 2009 6:45 PM

Oooooh that's such wonderful news! Wooohooo!

Posted by: Nat at October 22, 2009 6:52 PM

Thank God she is on the road to recovery and back home again. Soon as you are able I hope to see a picture of her bright and shining face to reassure us she is doing well again. All I can think of over and over again is Thank you God!
Hugs,
Trish

Posted by: Trish V at October 22, 2009 7:28 PM

Chris, I don't read your blog regularly as I once did- relying on FB and Twitter too much, I think- so I was stunned to see that your absence was from FB was for such a serious matter.

All I can say is.....Thank God.

Get some sleep.

Posted by: lucy at October 22, 2009 9:03 PM

I am so glad she is home and doing well. Hopefully you will all get some well needed rest and relaxation...

Posted by: Amanda at October 22, 2009 9:48 PM

I had to smile at Unplugged. glad she's home and the worst is over.

Posted by: jessica at October 22, 2009 9:51 PM

Wow. I'm just now getting to this. So sorry for poor little Mia, and I'm glad she's on the mend! I hope that's the last time for a long while that any of you guys have to deal with a hospital!

Posted by: Amy at October 22, 2009 10:04 PM

Yayyy! Home. Unplugged. I'm so happy for you. Lots of snuggle time, I'm sure.

Posted by: Scatteredmom at October 22, 2009 11:39 PM

So happy to hear that Mia is home and recovering. Take a deep breath, the worst is over. Reading your posts pulls on my heart strings and makes me smile. Wishing all the best to you, Beth and your beautiful kids!

Posted by: Ashley K at October 23, 2009 8:30 AM

Yay, I love happy news in the morning!

Posted by: Diane at October 23, 2009 8:59 AM

So glad Mia is on the mend! Positive thoughts & prayers to all of you.

Diane

Posted by: DeLurking Di at October 23, 2009 9:47 AM

Yayy!!!! I'm so relieved, I'm on the verge of tears right now.

Posted by: Fraulein N at October 23, 2009 11:26 AM

Hi Chris,
Of all the weeks for me to get behind on things this was the one. I'm so sorry to hear about Mia in the hospital but I'm so glad that she's home and doing better. A kid with a broken arm is one thing, but to see your child having trouble breathing has got to be terrifying. I'm so glad she's got such good parents to guide her through it all :) Sorry you didn't hear from me sooner, but I'm here now. Have a good cuddlefest this weekend :)

Posted by: Rose Winters at October 23, 2009 11:57 AM

so thrilled for you guys.

Take care, and here's to a super speedy recovery for Mia.

Posted by: sarah at October 23, 2009 2:17 PM

damn, i got a little teary reading about owen's reaction. probably because i can imagine a similar reaction from my second daughter to her sister's return.

every night as we put the girls to bed we talk briefly about things we're grateful for, ranging from "candy" to "mommy" to "carousel" (that's been the standard lately). occasionally it's "my sister."

enjoy each other's company!

ever

Posted by: pvz at October 23, 2009 2:31 PM

Hooray! Feel better, Mia!

Posted by: Kat at October 23, 2009 5:44 PM

That's great news to hear that she's home and on the mend. Continued positive vibes for a fast and full recovery!

(BTW, 'Mia Unplugged'? Classic!)

Posted by: ironic1 at October 23, 2009 7:05 PM