October 19, 2009

I'm Baaaack

So, as you noticed on Thursday I took an unexpected leave of absence from the world except it wasn't so unexpected. Instead of giving each other stuff that we didn't need for our tenth anniversary, we decided to give ourselves the one thing we did need. A vacation. So we packed up a couple of small bags, convinced the grandparents to spend a long weekend with the kids, hopped a train and spent a long weekend here:

P1040113copy.jpg

Yes, we honeymooned in the Big Apple so we decided to return for our anniversary.

Nights away from the kids: 3
Mornings we slept in: 3
Meals out that someone else cooked: 10
Manhattan blocks walked: 100+
iPhones bought: 1 (yep, I finally got one!)
Cold, blustery days: 4
Gloves bought: 3 pairs (a lone glove was unfortunately lost in Manhattan)
Museums visited: 2
Famous authors eaten with: 1
Cabs taken: 4
Broadway shows seen: 2
Broadway shows interrupted due to a surreal, hysterical medical emergency: 1
Times we missed our kids: 6,301

We got back into town last night, the kids were wonderful and the grandparents wiped out. And the look on my kids' faces as they saw us pull up to the house was priceless. It's nice to be missed. Now it's back to reality. And nothing says reality like getting a cavity filled. So, if you'll excuse me, it's off to the dentist chair with me. Maybe a little novocaine will help take the sting out of reality.

What were you guys up to while I was away?

Posted by Chris at October 19, 2009 8:01 AM
Comments

Sure missed you and am glad you are back posting again. Glad you had a great getaway in NYC!
Hugs,
T

Posted by: Trish V at October 19, 2009 8:23 AM

Good for you all! Who was the famous author?

Posted by: Debbie at October 19, 2009 8:32 AM

Dude, you can't say: "surreal, hysterical medical emergency" and not elaborate on it! That's just cruel. Especially since Monday's suck as it is.

I was up to my knees in leaves. 5 1/2 hours of yardwork done and then huge winds picked up and it looks like I never raked. Awesome.

Posted by: js at October 19, 2009 8:52 AM

Well it wasn't a weekend in NYC, but I did host a wave pool swim / glow-in-the-dark dance party / sleepover for 8 for my daughter's seventh birthday. Fun, but messy. I think I need one of those teeny tiny bulldozers to clean up the debris.

Posted by: alison at October 19, 2009 9:09 AM

Posted by: alison at October 19, 2009 9:09 AM

SO you're just going to leave us hanging with the author AND the medical emergency? That's not nice!!
Glad to hear you got a fun weekend away. Vacations are awesome, but coming home is awesome-er when there are kids waiting!

Posted by: Kim at October 19, 2009 9:23 AM

Obviously you will be filling us in on the details after a comment like "Broadway shows interrupted due to a surreal, hysterical medical emergency", right? And I'm guessing the famous author was Marshall Karp, and, if so, I'm jealous. :)

Posted by: Carolyn at October 19, 2009 9:33 AM

Glad you had a good time and glad you're back. You definitely had a better weekend than I did, but you deserved it!

Posted by: Elizabeth at October 19, 2009 9:36 AM

I want to know who the author is! And I'm so glad you had a good time. It's wonderful to see kids' faces light up when they see you. It breaks your heart over and over again.

You went big city. I went country. As in camping. In the cold.

Posted by: k8 at October 19, 2009 9:49 AM

The author I can deal with, but I just MUST know what the hysterical medical emergency was. I mean, come on...I'm a medic. That's just plain mean!

As for my weekend...I spent all day Saturday on the webcam with my husband who is in the states for the week. We played games on MSN & chattered. It was a nice "getaway" day.

Yesterday I picked up after the slew of kids that spent Saturday night at my house.

Now..what was the emergency??

Posted by: Holly Reynolds at October 19, 2009 9:51 AM

Wow - your vacation sounds great - except for the medical emergency. So glad that you could take the time away.

Posted by: Trisha at October 19, 2009 10:00 AM

Glad you had fun here despite the bad weather we had! :)

Yay for the iPhone- did you go to the Apple Store on 5th ave? Isn't it WONDERFUL in there?

Posted by: jessica at October 19, 2009 10:00 AM

Oh, I'm so jealous that you were in NYC... I want to go in late fall so much!

My weekend didn't hold a candle to yours: roommate moved in, did some work, but I did get to log some time with my new puppy. THAT part was great. :o)

Posted by: Emily at October 19, 2009 10:07 AM

Bah - my weekend was nothing compared to yours so I won't even bother sharing. OK, I cleaned my house on Saturday..BOR-ING!
I'm glad you had a good time in the city I love so much. In fact I'm trying to figure out when I can go down there soon.

Posted by: NancyJ at October 19, 2009 10:23 AM

I'm very intrigued by the dining w/ famous authors, and even moreso by the medical emergency - you really can't just leave us hanging like that!!

what shows did you see?

I broke a tooth (or really further broke it) whilst you were away so I look like an I hop waitress. haha have fun at the dentist!

Posted by: Kris at October 19, 2009 10:26 AM

Sounds amazing! Can't wait to 'hear' more about it.

Posted by: Magnolia Mom at October 19, 2009 10:35 AM

Actually, we went to a B&B in Cape May for a 3 day getaway. It was wonderful. Didn't need gloves or cabs. Cape May is made for Walking. And we did!
Cas
It was great. And we have no kids at home, but our cat was really happy to see us.

Posted by: cassie-b at October 19, 2009 11:44 AM

What show did you see?

And where did you end up eating, I had suggested one on Beth's site, just curious what the winners were!

Posted by: Dani at October 19, 2009 12:04 PM

Who was the famous author?!

Posted by: Hope at October 19, 2009 12:15 PM

I had a wonderful weekend too. One off-Broadway show, dinner with a famous blogger and his even more famous blogger wife, and I was on the receiving end of a incredible random act of kindness, which, if I may borrow your loyal readers, they can read about at www.lomaxandbiggs.com.

Posted by: Marshall Karp at October 19, 2009 12:48 PM

It's always good to be missed. It makes them appreciate you more! NYC is great to visit, but everytime I'm there I get reminded why I'd never want to live there. What shows did you see?

We went to a wedding on Saturday which was also interrupted by a medical emergency. One of the bridesmaids dislocated her knee while dancing near the end of the reception. Thankfully they were able to get it back into place at the hospital. One other bridesmaid got totally trashed. One bridesmaid survived. 33% success rate, not too good, but still a good time :)

Posted by: Rose Winters at October 19, 2009 12:52 PM

Glad you two got away. It's so important!

Posted by: Maribeth at October 19, 2009 1:28 PM

Just sitting around pining for you, Chris. :)

Posted by: Brad at October 19, 2009 1:50 PM

Only 6,301 times missed your kids? You monster!

I took a girls' weekend in a giant super-power directly to the south of us. It was fun.

Posted by: harmzie at October 19, 2009 2:50 PM

Well,lessie...I dressed up as an ear worm and went to a costume party. At one point, a sexy vampiress bearing a shirt reading "friends don't let friends drink friends" was licking salt off of me for her tequila shot. Mmmmmmm and the next day? Lots of Gatorade and Tylenol. Followed by a grand helping of whoop-ass on the part of the NE Patriots. Then I was read to by my Sweetie and fell asleep. Quite a weekend.

Posted by: Julia at October 19, 2009 3:13 PM

Oh, hi! Glad you had a great time in my neck of the woods! I love it here.

You missed Obama by two days, he's here tomorrow. But, well, you get him all the other days.

Happy anniversary!

Posted by: Poppy at October 19, 2009 7:33 PM

I MISSED YOU... now I am going to go sit in the corner and cry.

Posted by: stinkerbell at October 22, 2009 12:20 PM