October 2, 2009

The Weeklies #104

The Weekly Word. Wiener. Not sure why but it's getting a lot of play this week.

The Weekly Beer. Labat's. It's really not all that spectacular. I just like saying the name.

The Weekly Word About My Job. I still have one. No need to worry. I know that a couple of posts over the last week or two may have made you think that I lost my job. I did not. Just a big important project I was working on.

The Weekly Read. I like to pace myself when I read. If I dig an author, I try not to blog through his or her entire bibliography in a month. Instead, I'll read one a month or something, so I don't run out of the good stuff. I broke my rule when it came to John MacDonald this month. After reading (and reviewing) Nightmare In Pink, I immediately picked up A Purple Place For Dying. Again, our hero Travis McGee - introspective, philosophical, brutish and dashing - saves the world. Or at least a little slice of it, and runs away with the girl. These are not complicated novels. They don't exceed 300 pages nor do they take more than a couple hours of uninterrupted time to finish. But they sure are fun.

The Weekly Music. Did someone turn the clock back to the mid-1990s without telling me? First Pearl Jam tops the Billboard charts with their latest release and now Alice In Chains has a new one? Fourteen years since the release of their last album - and seven years since the death of singer Layne Staley - Alice In Chains is back with Black Gives Way To Blue. And you know what? It doesn't suck. It sounds, genuinely, like a trip back in time to an era when grunge ruled the world and everyone wore lot of flannel. That said, AIC haven't made this album to try and capture former glory. Their sound has evolved and they don't sound stale. The mastermind here is Jerry Cantrell (vocals, guitars) as always. The rest of the band - including new singer William DuVall who to his credit doesn't try and imitate Staley - sounds tight but it's clearly Cantrell who's driving this bus. And he drives it well. The album is strong, with few weak moments. Fair warning - listen to it too much and you'll be rooting through your closet for your old flannel shirts.

The Weekly Time Waster. Dynamic Systems.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Epic CNN fail.

heroes.jpg

The Weekly Hypothetical. The year is 2030. What do you identify as the biggest fad of the first decade of the 21st century?

Posted by Chris at October 2, 2009 5:48 AM
Comments

Thanks for letting us know about your job. I wouldn't have asked but I was concerned.

I've made a note to find some of the old Travis McGee books and re-read them. It's been years.

Have a great weekend. We're finally getting a few cool days here.

Posted by: Ann Adams at October 2, 2009 7:11 AM

I'm guessing by then it will come full circle again to wearing flare jeans and peasant blouses and I'm guessing the movie industry will have further diminished and no longer really have any original thoughts coming out of it, so we will have Transformers 82, Fame the Next Generation, and Indiana Jones and Bollywood artifacts and on TV we will have CSI: Memphis, NCIS: New Orleans and How I met your Grandmother

Posted by: Dee at October 2, 2009 7:47 AM

Definitely social media like Twitter. Although it may not truely be a fad, because isn't a fad something that, by definition, is extremely popular and then fades away? I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon, just evolving.

Have a great weekend!

(Glad to hear about the job too.)

Posted by: Elizabeth at October 2, 2009 8:16 AM

Jon Gosselin is a monumental asshat. Not that everyone doesn't already know that, but I like to put it out there anyway. Why is CNN wasting time on this douchebag, again?

Posted by: Fraulein N at October 2, 2009 8:52 AM

i totally thought you had 3 weeks to find another job. i'll remove the "Save a Cactus" pickle jar at the gas station down the road now. :-) Being in TX i'm pretty sure its about full!

Posted by: steff at October 2, 2009 8:57 AM

It's Labatt <-- as a Canadian, I'm obligated to correct that when I see it. It's on my passport, I'm sorry (I'm also obligated to apologize for any offence, perceived or otherwise, that may or may not have occured)

As for the fad, I sure as hell hope it's the obsession with reality TV. I've been waiting for that fad to pass for a while now.

Posted by: harmzie at October 2, 2009 9:04 AM

dammit! I used a angle bracket & seem to have eliminated my disclaimer after my "Labatt" correction!

It said "I am obligated, as a Canadian to correct that. It's on my passport. I'm sorry. I'm also obligated to apologize for any offence, perceived or otherwise that may or may not have occured (that's hardwired)" or something like that.

The way it is, I just look like an asshat - I mean moreso. I'm comfortable with a certain level of asshattedness, but that was too much. I'm sorry, again.

Posted by: harmzie at October 2, 2009 9:08 AM

I'm just hoping the "renaissance" body shapes come back at some point.

Posted by: k8 at October 2, 2009 9:48 AM

I was not worried about your job...you were too calm for that to be the issue.

As for the first fad of this century, I'd have to say dressing like it's the 80's...I hope it stops soon. We looked silly back then.

Posted by: Krush at October 2, 2009 11:33 AM

Harmzie is right, it's Labatt. I'm originally from Canada and I can assure you that the Labatt's Blue you can buy here is not the same as the Labatt's Blue you get in Canada. Only in Canada, eh!

Why don't the Gosselin's just go awaaaaaaaay. Enough already!
Oh, you should add Letterman's situation to the Schadenfreude list!

Have a wonderful weekend!!!!

Posted by: laineyDid at October 2, 2009 11:41 AM

OK, sorry, but the Alice in Chains single is so discordant I can't listen to it. When it comes on I have to turn it off. TOO MUCH WHAMMY BAR GUYS!

Posted by: Candy at October 2, 2009 11:42 AM

I am hopeful the biggest fad that never comes back is the gargantuan gas guzzling SUVs that everybody just HAD to have. May they all go the way of the dinosaur. (And please, do not tell me how you "need" one to cart your two kids around.)

Ah, but we are dumb with short memories. Such hope is most likely futile.

Posted by: Mindy at October 2, 2009 1:14 PM

Thanks for letting us know about your job. I'm glad to know.

I think the biggest fad will have been mp3 players.

Posted by: Heather at October 2, 2009 2:07 PM

I was going to attempt to answer the question, but the picture of Jon Gosselin made me vomit so badly I had to be hospitalized.

Posted by: caleal at October 2, 2009 3:52 PM

John Gosselin t-shirts.

Posted by: NG at October 2, 2009 4:28 PM

Social networking, definitely.

Posted by: Heather at October 2, 2009 5:25 PM

i agree with Krush, the 80's comeback clothes have got to go. neon was bad enough the first time around.

glad your job is OK!

Posted by: bri at October 2, 2009 8:56 PM

Going to check out John MacDonald... I have a thing for mind candy once in a while. (But I tend to eat too much and give myself a brain ache.)

Alice in Chains doesn't suck... Hmmmm...

Posted by: Nat at October 2, 2009 10:41 PM

Biggest Fads: Social Networking sights, but also vampires.... Though vampires are cyclical.... They were very big back in the 80s during the whole Anne Rice Interview with a Vampire craze....

Funny that you mentioned those books, I didn't see them near the top of your list on Good Reads....

Have a great weekend Chris!

Posted by: Rose Winters at October 2, 2009 11:52 PM

Fad of 2000-2010, without a doubt, hands-down, world-changing: reality TV.

I did not read the other comments, and I bet there are some good ideas, and I have to agree somewhat with commenter above who said social networking sites, but really, this decade has brought us from Survivor (okay, okay, that debuted in maybe 1999) to Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire to Trading Spaces to the Hills to Extreme Makeover: Pet Edition. (Okay, I made the last one up, but some exec is going to read this post and hop on that idea!)

Posted by: Sabrina at October 5, 2009 9:12 AM