October 9, 2009

The Weeklies #105

The Weekly Celebration. Our tenth wedding anniversary! Go us!

The Weekly Time Waster. The Virtual Piano.

The Weekly Read. I love Chuck Klosterman. Not in that way. I just think his writing is good. His pop culture-focused essays are fantastic and his observations never cease to be insightful and inspired. So I was really curious what he'd do in his first foray into fiction - Downtown Owl. I wasn't disappointed. Okay, maybe I was. But just a little bit. Klosterman delivers a compelling, often hilarious portrait of life in small town North Dakota focusing on the lives of three inhabitants. My only issue was the fact that the story was almost non-existent. There was little in the way of plot. It read like a snapshot, not a movie, a description, not a flowing narrative. That said, it was highly readable and immensely likable and, like anything Klosterman touches, I highly recommend it.

The Weekly Bonus Time Waster Because I Don't Have Any Music To Talk About. When Penguins Attack.

The Weekly Strange Musical Juxtaposition In An iTunes Alert. iTunes is helpful and notifies me when there's new shit I might want to buy. This week? And alert telling me that I had artist alerts "From Alice In Chains and Burl Ives". Um. There's a combo.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Us. We've all been made to suffer through this whole pathetic David Letterman ordeal. Okay, so, he was a little creepy and did the horizontal mambo with some co-workers and cheated on his wife in the process. I don't condone it but when did we start holding talk show hosts to higher standards than pop stars? Michael Vick can get an NFL gig after fighting and killing dogs but we're supposed to be up in arms about Letterman doing an intern? Come on.

The Weekly Non-Hypothetical. What's your favorite color?

Posted by Chris at October 9, 2009 6:52 AM
Comments

I don't care what David Letterman does in his bedroom, I don't know why any woman would sleep with him in the first place, he's not remotely attractive and not that powerful for me to be shedding any clothing.

My favorite color is Green!

Posted by: Dee at October 9, 2009 7:23 AM

Yikes, I dreamt last night that I got bitten by a penguin in a fancy bank. I don't think I'll be playing When Penguins Attack any time soon....

Posted by: Karen at October 9, 2009 8:03 AM

Happy Anniversary!

And green....definitely green.

Posted by: daisy at October 9, 2009 8:40 AM

Happy Anniversary to you and Beth!

Posted by: donna at October 9, 2009 8:42 AM

Happy Anniversary to you guys!

I'm totally with you on the Letterman thing. Who cares?

Purple.

Posted by: Karen at October 9, 2009 8:43 AM

Red!

Exactly, why are we meant to care about this whole Letterman scandal?

Happy Anniversary and many, many more!

Posted by: Diane at October 9, 2009 8:50 AM

Happy Anniversary you crazy kids. Nowadays, 10 years is a miracle it seems!

As for Letterman, why is it any of our business what he does in his bedroom anymore than it's his business what we do in ours? It's not. He did a bad thing and I'm sure he'll get all the hell and high water he needs from his wife. And let's face it, had someone else not gotten greedy, none of this would have seen the light of day.

My fave colour is black.

Posted by: Kris at October 9, 2009 9:10 AM

Happy Anniversary! Hope you have a blast in NYC.

Letterman, come on who really cares. Now Jon stealing Kate’s money is real news (just kidding)!

My mother absolutely hates the color red so in some strange rebellion way it has become my favorite color. I even have a red jacket.

Posted by: Tailynn at October 9, 2009 9:22 AM

Happy Anniversary!

I would like to assure you that those attacking penguins are rogues whose actions are not condoned by the rest of penguinkind. (Just pretend I'm actually a penguin.)

My favorite color is blue.

Posted by: bad penguin at October 9, 2009 10:02 AM

Purple.

As long as Letterman didn't apply any type of coercion (and there's nothing so far to suggest that he did), it's none of my business what he does in his spare time.

Have a good weekend.

Posted by: Ann Adams at October 9, 2009 10:34 AM

Depends on the day. And Roman Polanski. I hope he makes your schafenrude someday. Well - not even him. But all the idiots that think he should not be held to justice. When I read the list of people who are supporting him, I realized that the world is really coming to an end.

Posted by: k8 at October 9, 2009 10:35 AM

grey. and not in a dreary kind of way. i just love it!

Posted by: kati at October 9, 2009 10:55 AM

Blue. Or maroon. Or a nice sunshiney yellow. Depends entirely on my mood!!

Posted by: Heather at October 9, 2009 10:57 AM

Happy Anniversary!

My favorite color is sky blue!

I can't stand David Letterman so it is no big loss to me but I do feel sorry for his wife. My husband has been making a ton of jokes about Dave and Paul and their "relationship"..too funny!

I think the best is Craig Ferguson he totally is hilarious and he said "how do you think I got the job at late night?"

Have a great weekend!

Posted by: Julie Andel at October 9, 2009 11:49 AM

BTW, I don't think he was actually married when he had the affairs. He was WITH the woman who would become his wife, so yes, he's a cheater. But he's not an adulterer.

Posted by: Kalisa at October 9, 2009 11:52 AM

I don't get why people need to get in other people's business if it doesn't break the law or hurt anyone?? That being said, my favorite color right now, Black!! It matches my mood. I got into a "spat" that lasted no longer than 30 sec w/co-worker, who then cried to the boss and now I've been suspended and don't know if I'll lose my job. So this has been an awful week for me. Happy Friday!!

Posted by: Christine at October 9, 2009 12:33 PM

The only thing that creeps me out on that show more than Letterman himself is Paul Schaffer. I cannot watch that show unless someone I really like is on it. And even then it makes me cringe.

green.

Posted by: Jodi at October 9, 2009 12:40 PM

Black.

If I was rich, powerful, had hot interns, and no wives or kids, I'd probably screw 'em too.

Posted by: Brad at October 9, 2009 1:09 PM

Pink.

And don't get me started on Michael Vick. Do you know he's getting a show? On BET. Gag.

I'm all for forgiveness and second chances, but there's a different between allowing him to live his life unvilified and glorifying him for all to see.

Posted by: caleal at October 9, 2009 1:18 PM

Happy Anniversary!

Favorite color depends on the context.

Green: favorite to wear
yellow, muted orange: favorite to decorate
blue: favorite color to see my husband wear

You get the idea!

Posted by: Elizabeth at October 9, 2009 1:26 PM

Chris you should look into getting a Rhapsody subscription. There is an app which lets you access it from your iphone and/or ipod touch in addition to your computer.

That way you pay 14 bucks a month and have access to everything.

Happy anniversary!

Posted by: jessica at October 9, 2009 1:35 PM

Gonna have to check out Chuck's book too.

Favorite Color? Irony... I think it's part of a paint line endorsed by Martha Stewart

Posted by: Clark Kent's Lunchbox at October 9, 2009 3:55 PM

Yikes...yeah iTunes has a wicked sense of humor! And I don't care about Letterman...color...I have two really ok 3 equally... Purple, Orange, Red...
Purple with orange accents. Purple with red accents. Purple is always first though!

Posted by: Gypys at October 9, 2009 8:47 PM

Green.

No, blue!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh(....)

Posted by: Poppy at October 9, 2009 9:15 PM

My favorite color is purple with a side of occasional pink. Also a big fan of purple and silver together.

Posted by: Amy at October 9, 2009 11:47 PM

Don't understand the outrage with Letterman. If consensual, why should we care. But, it is early yet, who knows what will come out.

Happy Anniversary!

Purple is my favorite.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at October 10, 2009 11:44 AM

I suppose everyone is up in arms about Letterman because he is the first one to jump all over everyone else when they have an "indiscretion". The guys a worm, period.
Okay what color am I? I loved the color blue, but that's not the color I am. I think I am a coral pink, like the sand I've seen on Caribbean beaches. Which is where we will be in 60 days! Yeah, us! Vacation!

Posted by: Maribeth at October 10, 2009 2:14 PM

1. Happy Anniversary to you and Beth!
2. I imagine if we knew the full or gory details on any random person's sex life we be fairly creeped out and unimpressed. It seems like it is a private matter. However, I would not want to be married to him.
3. Yellow.

Posted by: Annie at October 10, 2009 2:24 PM

Ooo congratulations! 10 is the new 50.

Posted by: NG at October 10, 2009 3:30 PM

Set your life more easy get the mortgage loans and all you need.

Posted by: GINGERCollins23 at April 14, 2010 8:39 AM