October 23, 2009

The Weeklies #106

The Weekly Emotion. All of them.

The Weekly Read. Way back last week - because that's the last time I remember picking up a book - I polished off Joe Schreiber's Chasing The Dead. I picked it up on the strength of his latest novel - Eat The Dark. And it was meh. I mean, it wasn't bad but it also wasn't overly great. Should you read it? If you've traveled the globe and read every suspense novel to man with the exception of this one, well, sure. Otherwise, give it a pass.

The Weekly People Who I Think Are The Awesomest. Pediatric nurses and doctors. Everyone in the medical profession we dealt with over the last week was absolutely, insanely awesome. It takes a special type of person to a) make kids better, b) make kids comfortable and c) handle those kids' parents. Thank god they're around doing what they're doing.

The Weekly Greatest Invention Ever. My iPhone. Yeah. It does live up to the hype.

The Weekly Personal Lapse in Blogging Etiquette. I'm contemplating doing something I never do. See, whenever you guys comment, my blogging software posts that comment on my site and sends me that comment via email. And I answer all my email. But I think this week I'm going to have to put that personal rule aside. So you have my humble apologies if you don't get a reply from me this week. My priorities are a little different this week. That said, I can't thank you enough for the outpouring of support.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Is there any doubt about it? Balloon Boy (and the entire wacky Balloon Family). Look, up in the sky...its a bird...its a plane...it's a fame-hungry publicity whore.

The Weekly Hypothetical. You win a vacation home. Or, rather, a pile of building materials and a contractor. You can have the house built absolutely wherever you want. Where do you build your vacation house?

Posted by Chris at October 23, 2009 8:22 AM
Comments

Vacation Home: Hamilton, Montana. Small mountain town without the hype. I'd sit on my porch, drink beer and look at the mountains.

Hope YOUR weekend is full of recovery...for everyone.

Posted by: Erin Oltmanns at October 23, 2009 8:37 AM

I'm not sure where I would build a free vacation home. It would need to be somewhere: 1)away from huge crowds of people, 2) accessible - what's the point of a vacation home if you can't get there regularly? 3) quiet, 4) near the water (a lake would be fine). I'm not sure where that place would be! Probably somewhere in Vermont, where I grew up.

Have a very restful, recuperative weekend!

Posted by: Elizabeth at October 23, 2009 9:13 AM

I always enjoy hearing from you but I understand there are limits to everything.

Keep your priorities in order and have a good weekend.

Posted by: Ann Adams at October 23, 2009 9:22 AM

I'm so glad Mia is home and doing better! I've definitely been thinking of her all week. Glad you all made it through, actually, because I can't imagine how hard that was.

As for vacation home: I'd build it in Traverse City, MI. I absolutely love it up there!

Posted by: Jessie at October 23, 2009 9:25 AM

Never worry about putting your family first, Chris. Ever.

Why the hell do you think we keep reading? ;)

Hypothetical: I'd just like to keep the house we have, but that's going to have to be a dream that dies.

Posted by: alektra at October 23, 2009 9:27 AM

What? No personal email from Chris LeCactus?? I refuse to comment ever again...oh...wait...

So glad Mia's on the mend. Good pediatric medical professionals are worth the moon.

Posted by: Candy at October 23, 2009 9:30 AM

So happy that things are getting back to normal for you guys.

As for the vacation home - no question about it. Hilton Head Island, SC

Posted by: donna at October 23, 2009 9:45 AM

Aww. As a peds/picu nurse, that comment warms my heart. Thanks! And I'm so glad mia is getting better. The nurse iin me says lots to drink, elevate the head of her bed, and give every last drop of her meds. The mama in me says buy her a pony and hug her all day til she recovers.

Posted by: tifRN at October 23, 2009 9:50 AM

Vacation home: Jim Thorpe, Pa. Something quiet and private with a huge property, but not a huge house, and definitely a place with a view of the mountains and maybe a stream running through the back for the kids and the dog to play in.

Have a great weekend! Put everything on hold except catching up on family time and rest!

Posted by: margo at October 23, 2009 9:51 AM

I'm very glad Mia is home.

Vacation home: Somewhere in the Yosemite valley probably. I love that area, and I have friends and family out that way.

Posted by: Brad at October 23, 2009 9:57 AM

So glad everyone is home and on the mend!

Vacation home...nothing huge, just something on a beach somewhere...anywhere. But if I had to choose, it would be Avalon/Stone Harbor NJ or St Kitts/Nevis. A little shack is all I need! And my family, of course!

Posted by: cyndy at October 23, 2009 10:13 AM

SO glad Mia is doing well and that your experience with medical professionals was so great...it's bad enough that your child is so sick, you need support from EVERYone.

Vacation Home: Ocean City, Maryland--that was always our family vacation spot & I need this awesome beach house to be easily accessible (assuming the rest of my life will remain the same).

Have a great weekend!

Posted by: Jane in Pa at October 23, 2009 10:36 AM

St. Thomas/Dominican Republic, Hawaii?? Any place right near the beach. Or at the very least I would do Cape Cod.

Posted by: Dee at October 23, 2009 11:06 AM

Vacation home: Friendship, Maine.

I'm glad to hear Mia's doing better!

Posted by: Laura at October 23, 2009 11:13 AM

glad to hear that mia is feeling better. and would like to second that the peds guys rock. especially the dealing with parents of sick kids. we are a troublesome bunch :)

and also, i can no longer speak to you as you have fallen prey to the evil iphone plot/conspiracy. seriously. i have issues. mostly with the iphone envy. and i am having a bad tech week. so i'd like my vacation house to be built in 1880. coronado is a nice spot. even in 1880.

Posted by: jeanne at October 23, 2009 11:19 AM

vacation home in on the coast in portugal.

Posted by: kati at October 23, 2009 11:23 AM

I loved that you emailed responses to comments, but you have MUCH more important things to attend to - go forth and be with your little ones. I hope you all have a great weekend together.

Posted by: TUWABVB at October 23, 2009 11:34 AM

I'm so happy for you, Beth, Owen and Mia that Mia is on the mend. What a scary time for all of you.

I would pick the lake that is 40 minutes from my house. Sure, the Carribean would be awesome, but I would have to get there! My lake has it's own (colder) awesomeness and I can go whenever I have a spare half day.

Posted by: Heather at October 23, 2009 11:45 AM

I would build my vacation home in southern Utah...possibly Moab, or somewhere around down there that is HOT-ish during our winters up here in Canada.

We love to vacation in Utah on an annual basis and with a house there, it would be fantastic. :)

Don't worry about sending me an e-mail. I totally understand about the priorities part. Just relax at home with your family, and get some much needed down time. We'll all still be here when you get back!

Posted by: Scatteredmom at October 23, 2009 12:00 PM

Long time lurker, but I'm revealing myself to send my best wishes on a fast recovery for Ms. Mia. My little dude has also spent time in the hospital for pneumonia, and it brought out the worst feelings I've ever had in my life. Helpless, guilty, and fearful. Thankfully he recovered and hasn't looked back. But I still hug him tight when he goes to bed at night and thank my lucky stars that he's now healthy and happy.

My vacation home would be in Chaffee County, Colorado. Beautiful mountains as a backdrop, plenty of year-round outdoor activities, and some very cool little towns in the area. My husband and I have considered buying several pieces of land out there, but we haven't found the right one yet. We will. Someday.

Posted by: ktrz at October 23, 2009 12:19 PM

Are you addicted to iPhone apps yet?

There are some great ones for preschoolers- learning to write, games, phonics......

Also check out Fish Food Frenzy- it is stupidly addicting.

Posted by: jessica at October 23, 2009 1:10 PM

I am so glad everything is okay, I haven't been online much this week so I missed this. So glad you have her home, cannot imagine how scary that was.

Posted by: The Stiletto Mom at October 23, 2009 1:22 PM

My backyard. But, can I keep the contractor with wood? Cuz, I really need one of those.

Glad your girls are home. My boy spent a week in the hospital when he was 1. It's very scary! I hope you and yours have a peaceful weekend full of recovery, laughter and beer.

Posted by: stephanie at October 23, 2009 1:45 PM

Posted by: stephanie at October 23, 2009 1:45 PM

So glad Mia is on the mend! It's always so impressive that you take the time to respond to comments but this circumstance absolutely does not require anything more than a general thank you which you've already done several times! Check the iphone, there may be an app for that ;) Enjoy your iphone and welcome to the club :)

Posted by: laineyDid at October 23, 2009 2:00 PM

A little cove on St.Johns. Just me, some sand and that wonderful warm turquoise water!

Posted by: Maribeth at October 23, 2009 2:35 PM

oh! will miss hearing back from u...didnt read u for the first time the last 4 days, and look what happened. Am so glad Mia is back, and will pray for a speedy full on recovery.

Posted by: NM at October 23, 2009 2:40 PM

Cape May, NJ or near the Poconos in PA.

So glad Mia is feeling better. I didn't comment sooner because I had also been in the hospital from last Thursday until Wednesday.

Pediatric doctors and nurses are the best!!!

Posted by: Krush at October 23, 2009 3:36 PM

I'm so glad you guys had a good team taking care of Mia at the hospital. I bet her home team rocks a little more though. ;)

Vacation home: Smack dab in the middle of about 100 acres of forested land with a small clearing on it somewhere for a nice meadow. I don't want to see or hear anyone else. Make it 200 acres. In fact, if I could just have my own island, that would be great. These dream house materials, do they include components for a transporter? Because that would be pretty cool.

Posted by: at October 23, 2009 6:25 PM

Greenwich Village NYC, or the Monmarte District in Paris, or on Mackenzie Beach Tofino British Columbia.

Posted by: amy at October 23, 2009 7:05 PM

Posted by: amy at October 23, 2009 7:06 PM

Harker's Island, NC. I've never been able to duplicate the feeling of peace that place brings me.

And my house would totally have a kick-ass midget toss court.

Posted by: Rebecca at October 23, 2009 8:36 PM

I don't know exactly where I'd build my vacation home, but I think the requirements are that it be in woods, by a lake, with no one else around. I like happy sunny beaches, but I've always been more of a camping and quiet woods type of girl. plus I like the idea of a place where I can take my dogs- I'm a nerd.

Also, don't you dare for one minute worry about not responding to everyone. First off, it's amazing that you do that anyway, so it's not bad of you to take a break. Secondly, we're all just happy Mia is better- it was a frightening thing to hear about. So, hearing she's better is just the same as a response.

Posted by: caleal at October 23, 2009 10:22 PM

Hmm vacation home? Some kick-ass tropical island, probably.
And we totally understand about the no reply thing. No worries! :)

Posted by: Heather at October 23, 2009 10:46 PM

Wow Chris, I'm totally behind on reading your blog posts this week. So scary for all of you and I'm glad she's on the road to recovery.

We've all been sick here for the past week and it feels like a revolving door of doctor's appointments, drug runs to the pharmacy, nebulizers, bargaining to get fluids in kids, etc. It's exhausting and heart wrenching and my thoughts and hugs go to you and Beth and the kids. I kept wishing I had a magic wand all week to make us all better, wishing I had one for you too.

Snuggle that sweet girlie girl this weekend and get some serious princess DVD watching done for me.

And the rule goes without exception when your kids are sick that you don't have to answer phones or emails -- or at least that's been the rule at my house all week.

Posted by: pink and green mama MaryLea at October 24, 2009 12:10 AM

Posted by: pink and green mama MaryLea at October 24, 2009 12:11 AM

Some time before, I really needed to buy a house for my firm but I did not have enough money and couldn't order anything. Thank heaven my mother proposed to take the loan at banks. Thence, I did that and was happy with my short term loan.

Posted by: AnnieLivingston24 at October 29, 2010 11:46 AM