October 30, 2009

The Weeklies #107

The Weekly Nickname Beth Came Up With For Me. Dick nostril.

The Weekly Euphamism for Sex. Smooshing the dolphin.

The Weekly Time Waster. Pumpkin Push.

The Weekly Read. The kind folks at Hachette Book Group sent me a copy of David Baldacci's True Blue to read and review. I'd read Baldacci before and liked him so I figured what the hell. 450+ pages later, I was left feeling a little shorted. Don't get me wrong - the book was good. The plot was well thought out and the action was tight. It was well written and Baldacci clearly knows his subject matter and the city of Washington. But the characters felt a little too wooden to me to really root for. And there were a couple of plot elements that either didn't need to be there at all or were there to set the premise for the inevitable sequel. And there really should be a sequel because I have the feeling it would be good, perhaps better, now that the stage is set and the characters defined. Should you read it? Sure, why not? I'm not sure I'd pay full hardback price for it but it's worth a spin.

The Weekly Health Situation. There were no hospitals this week so bonus.

The Weekly Truth Behind The Blog Entry. Yesterday's story? Mostly true. All except the meeting a ghost part. Beth and I did actually stay in a fairly gothic place, at the top of a cliff overlooking Mont-Saint-Michel which was as I described. Also as I described was the late night/early morning wake up call due to the fire alarms, the ten or so minutes spent outside in the dark, wet night and the encounter with the British lady. Only she wasn't a ghost. That part I made up.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse for David Letterman, a former writer calls his show a hostile work environment. Of course, she might have just been referring to having to work with Paul Schaffer.

The Weekly Hypothetical. You have the one-time power to add hours to the day. Do you? Why or why not?

Posted by Chris at October 30, 2009 7:32 AM
Comments

God no. I mean most days I feel like they are long enough! Now if it were to add hours to just one special day, like a day visiting someplace wonderful or seeing someone wonderful, then that would be cool. But most days I have trouble getting through the basic 24.

Posted by: Maribeth at October 30, 2009 8:15 AM

I love your weekly time wasters, btw. I am still playing When Penguins Attack! If I could add hours to the day, I would but only if that day was going so incredibly awesome that I didn't want it to end. If the day was like any other and I was exhausted, hell no.

Posted by: claire at October 30, 2009 8:21 AM

I might. Actually, I think I would. There are some near perfect days that you would you could just stretch out sometimes. I'm thinking of some of those "I wish I could spend all day enjoying this moment with my family" days, like when we catch fireflies at dusk. Sometimes it all just clicks, and I hate when I have to cut it short to make sure mealtime is done, or bedtime, or whatever. I wish we could just enjoy that time a little longer.

Posted by: Varinia at October 30, 2009 9:06 AM

Oh yes! I would add 6 hours to every day. I could finish everything I need to do (want to have accomplished) and sleep for 2 or 3 more hours. It would be awesome. I wonder if I would really use 6 extra hours as I say I would?

Happy Halloween!

Posted by: Heather at October 30, 2009 9:12 AM

Absolutely!! I am always lamenting the need for sleep. I would be much happier if there were an extra 3 or 4 hours in the day. I could do more stuff and still get the needed sleep. I think I would like to abolish the need for sleep. I love sleep, but resent that I have to do it!

Happy Halloween!

Posted by: Elizabeth at October 30, 2009 9:28 AM

I love Letterman, and I was pretty annoyed by the writer's comments. She worked for him 19 years ago!!! Before he was involved with his wife and had a child. Just seems ridiculous to me.

Posted by: Candy at October 30, 2009 9:35 AM

I am reading reviewing Tru Blue also, I felt the same way about the fact that there is way too much set up in the book.

Posted by: William at October 30, 2009 10:11 AM

Nope I don't add hours to the day. It wouldn't change anything. It's how time is used, not how many hours there are in the day. Kinda like giving someone who is bad at managing money more. it doesn't solve the problem.

What I would do, however, is STOP CHANGING THE CLOCKS twice a year.

Posted by: jessica at October 30, 2009 10:14 AM

No. I don't want to add hours to the day. Although now I'm thinking maybe another hour of sleep. But that would get boring after awhile.

Posted by: k8 at October 30, 2009 10:35 AM

I've already figured out how to add more time to the day: don't click the weekly time waster! ;-)

Seriously, if there was another hour, I'd just piss it away reading MORE blogs. Did I say "piss it away"? I meant "invest it wisely learning about life through the foibles of my fellow human beings". In piss form.

Posted by: harmzie at October 30, 2009 11:34 AM

I met Paul Shaffer last week! He was promoting his book here in L.A. and my friend works for his manager, so she had me along and we hung (hanged?) out with him and David Ritz and some other used-to-be-more-famous people and it was kinda cool. And I got a free copy of his book and he and David signed it for me.

But I digress.

I constantly have a need to add hours to the day. If I had more hours in my day, I could practice guitar and do yoga on the Wii Fit. So as long as those hours occur after the kids' bedtime, that would be cool.

Posted by: Brooke at October 30, 2009 11:43 AM

If I was queen of the world I would implement roll-over minutes in real time. So any wasted time that was out of your control (eg. stuck in traffic, waiting in line, waiting for a Dr. or Dentist appt) could be banked. Then when you need extra time you just make a time withdrawal - instant stress reduction! Ah, it's good to be queen (if only in my head!!!)
Happy Halloweenie!

Posted by: laineyDid at October 30, 2009 1:23 PM

No thanks. I have enough to do already....I don't need more hours to be jam-packed with other things.

Posted by: Krush at October 30, 2009 6:22 PM

Glad I got True Blue at 50% off, it's always disappointing when you look forward to a book and it sucks!

Posted by: Angela at October 30, 2009 8:42 PM

Only if I can add the hours to the part of the day (night) I spend not working and/or sleeping!

Posted by: Stephanie at October 30, 2009 10:04 PM

Dick nostril? What did you do to deserve that? ;-)

Posted by: Moiii at October 30, 2009 10:40 PM

I would like to add three hours to every day....3 reading hours for all. You can only get the hours if you read during them. If you refuse to read...no hours for you! (yes I make the rules...reading hour natzi)

Posted by: Kristy at October 31, 2009 11:41 AM

Sure, as long as it's guaranteed that the extra hours won't add onto the work day. If it's for fun, family time, cooking, sleep - I'm cool with that though....

Posted by: Rose Winters at October 31, 2009 2:42 PM