October 20, 2009

Update

Words cannot express how awesome you are. I'm in the process of going through all your comments. Don't expect my traditional response. There's no way I can write you all back. I am beside myself, overcome with gratitude. You all rock.

Mia is still in the hospital but making really good progress. She was diagnosed with pneumonia and is receiving regular breathing treatments and healthy doses of oxygen courtesy of a mask she absolutely loathes combined with steroids and plenty of fluids both through an IV, something she hates more than the mask. The breathing treatments are growing farther and farther apart and her reliance on oxygen (from the mask, not oxygen in general) is decreasing. All of which is good news. We're hoping we can bring her home tomorrow.

Owen will be just as relieved as us when she comes home, if not more. He talks about Mia constantly, refuses to eat anywhere else besides Mia's chair at the dinner table, will get dressed and changed only in Mia's room, would read only Mia's books before bed. I'm pretty sure if I'd have offered up one of Mia's nightgowns to him, he'd be sleeping in it as I type.

I spent a chunk of the day in the hospital. Mia and I watched a lot of TV. We wrestled over the mask - I wanted her to wear it, she didn't. I hooked and unhooked tubes and wires so she could get up and move around. And at every turn, I had to fight myself, fight the lump in my throat, and just keep going. Short of being in the hospital with Beth and both the kids after each was born, this is without doubt the hardest moment in parenting I've ever faced. It's just so basic - I want Mia to be well and getting her there is mostly out of my power because I'm not a doctor or a nurse and as it turns out Grey's Anatomy viewing doesn't prepare you for a hospital gig.

I'll keep you in the loop. In the mean time, I think I'll go grab a beer and look at pictures of my daughter. Thank you again for all the comments, kind words and positive vibes.

Posted by Chris at October 20, 2009 9:51 PM
Comments

Oh my gosh, the poor baby! I'm glad to hear that she's improving! I was thinking about her a lot and hoping she was okay. Thanks for the update and she's still in my thoughts and prayers.

Posted by: TUWABVB at October 20, 2009 10:20 PM

That's very good to hear Chris. As you've probably already seen - the breathing treatments will probably amp her up and the steroids will probably make her a little (!) cranky but they will do their job...thoughts are still with you guys!

Posted by: Sue R at October 20, 2009 10:33 PM

I am so glad that she is going to be fine. I'd say as a parent that I know what you are going through, but I'd be lying. As I thought about it while typing this I realized that neither one of my kids (13 and 15) has ever been to the ER, let alone hospitalized. I have no idea how that happened.

Posted by: COD at October 20, 2009 10:33 PM

Glad to hear she is doing better. I will continue to pray for her. I too had no idea what I was in for being a parent. It has been a roller coaster of emotions that involved things I hope to forget as well as moments I will always remember. The parts I want to forget usually ended with me having to towel something up while fighting a very strong gag reflex, nuf said!

Brace yourself man, there are more hurdles to come. Some day she will want to date! I have already informed my girls that they will not be dating until I am in the ground. I also informed them not to get any funny ideas about that.

Posted by: Jeff A at October 20, 2009 10:35 PM

Glad to hear the news is good. Nothing really prepares you for this parenting gig...

Hugs.

Posted by: Nat at October 20, 2009 10:45 PM

Chris & Beth,

So sorry to hear about Mia... I'm glad things are improving, and we'll be thinking of you guys as I know it's hard on everyone involved. I wish there was something we could do. Please know we're thinking of you guys.

-Corinne

Posted by: Corinne at October 20, 2009 10:47 PM

that ache is the cost of loving with all you have... you are great parents.

i'm hoping she gets better as quickly as possible!

Posted by: kati at October 20, 2009 10:59 PM

Chris, I'm so glad that Mia is on the mend. I remember all too well how scary a hospital stay with pneumonia is (my youngest daughter landed in the hospital at 3months old with it.

Many prayers and much love still coming you, Beth's, Owen, and Mia's way.

Posted by: Angelia at October 20, 2009 11:06 PM

So glad to read the good news! It sounds like she'll be 100% better and home again ASAP (though probably not soon enough for Owen!). Pneumonia is scary, but those docs and nurses really know what they're doing and I'm sure that having you and Beth hanging with her is making Mia feel even better.

I was thinking about you guys today and said a little prayer for Mia (I know it's not how you guys roll, but heck, it's good vibes and why not cover all the bases, right?). Hang in there!

Posted by: erin at October 20, 2009 11:19 PM

It was really good to see this post in my reader. I'm glad she's feeling better and I hope she comes home very very soon.

Posted by: Julia at October 20, 2009 11:42 PM

I am so glad she is feeling better! I have been lucky in the fact that I have never had to take my boys (12 & 9) to the hospital. Now the hubby is a different matter.

I hope she gets to go home tomorrow and make Owen feel complete again (not to mention you and Beth).

Posted by: kali at October 21, 2009 12:19 AM

soon you will be able to breath as well...
Glad things are turning for the better...and give her a hug for each comment ;-)

Posted by: David at October 21, 2009 2:12 AM

soon you will be able to breath as well...

Posted by: David at October 21, 2009 2:12 AM

Hi Chris & Beth

So sorry to hear that Mia is so sick, but really glad that she is doing better. Fingers crossed that you can bring her home soon. Keeping you all in my thoughts!

Posted by: Delia at October 21, 2009 2:34 AM

Glad to read she's on the mend, take care.

Posted by: Katherine at October 21, 2009 2:51 AM

Thanks for the update. Sending more positive thoughts.

Posted by: Juli Ryan at October 21, 2009 5:00 AM

Thanks for the update. Sounds like she's headed in the right direction!

Oh, and none of us expected your usual response. You've got much more important things to deal with right now!

Posted by: Karen at October 21, 2009 5:59 AM

I'm glad she's starting to feel better and I hope she's home with you soon. It's hard no matter what age they are when it's your child in the hospital!
Can't wait for the post telling us she's home!

Posted by: NancyJ at October 21, 2009 6:08 AM

Oh geez. I missed the post yesterday! Consider all my good thoughts sent your way.

Posted by: Stephanie at October 21, 2009 6:29 AM

So good to hear that she is doing better. It has made my day to hear she is improving. Can't wait to hear that she's back home with her brother.

Posted by: Laura at October 21, 2009 6:34 AM

Many hugs...last November my 18 yr old ended up in the hospital with a severe kidney infection. She was hooked up to morphine and antibiotics for two days. It is so difficult, even as they are older, to see them suffer. But, even more, I am grateful for the health care we have available, and I am so very aware that so many children around the world lose their battles because of lack.

I send continuing love and support to all of you.
Much love from Julia in Boston.

Posted by: Julia at October 21, 2009 7:23 AM

Amazing, isn't it? How much you love your kids. I never realized the total, overwhelming, love I have for them until one was ill.
Last year Mandy called me (age 31) and she was in the hospital. Her words were "Mom, I need you!"
I threw on clothes and drove the 1 1/2 hours to her bedside and didn't leave her all day. And when I did, I cried all the way home in my car.
This is the beginning, of a very special and at times heart rendering relationship.
Hugs to you, Beth, Owen and most of all Mia!

Posted by: Maribeth at October 21, 2009 7:40 AM

Poor Bean! I hope she is home soon Chris. I am still sending positive thoughts and energy your way!

Posted by: Dee at October 21, 2009 7:41 AM

Yea Mia! Glad to hear she's doing better and hope she comes home soon.

Posted by: sherri at October 21, 2009 8:08 AM

Thanks for the update. It was a relief to hear Mia is on the mend.
Sending good thoughts to you, Beth, Prince Owen and Princess Mia.

Posted by: Wackado at October 21, 2009 8:12 AM

Poor, poor baby girl... The hospital is a scary place at that age. I was a little younger than her when I had to spend a few days in there for a broken leg, when a wall fell on me. I hope beyond all hopes that she gets to come home today. I am glad that she's making such progress - she was on my mind all day yesterday. *big, big hugs to all of you*

Posted by: secha at October 21, 2009 8:12 AM

I've been texting with Beth, but let me know if there is anything I can do. Can I send dinner in one night for you and Owen? Send something to Mia in the hospital?

Posted by: jodifur at October 21, 2009 8:13 AM

Keeping Mia in my prayers...hang in there.

Posted by: Lisa at October 21, 2009 8:22 AM

Just catching up on the posts. Dude, I feel bad for you with Mia in the hospital. I will say a prayer or two for you guys. I hope she is not scared, that is the worst.

I will also pray that you do not run out of beer for the next week or so. I am not trying to be funny, but it helps, take the edge off and that way your kid won't know how scared you are.

Posted by: William at October 21, 2009 8:46 AM

Hoping today brings a good bill of health for Miss Mia! :o)

Posted by: Emily at October 21, 2009 8:47 AM

I'm so glad to hear she's doing better. I've kept you all in my prayers; even though you guys aren't necessarily into all that, I figure it can't hurt.

Posted by: Jessie at October 21, 2009 8:53 AM

Glad to hear the sweet girl is doing better. <3

Posted by: patricia at October 21, 2009 8:56 AM

I truly cannot even imagine, Christ. I wish I was closer to be able to help in person. Instead, my thoughts are with you all.

Posted by: Shelly at October 21, 2009 8:57 AM

I'm so glad to hear she's doing better. I hope she's well enough to come home today. My kids have had a couple of hospital stays over the years and it just never gets any easier. I'll continue to keep her and your whole family in my thoughts.

Posted by: Michelle at October 21, 2009 9:12 AM

Dear Mia:

Your Mommy and Daddy love you way more than you understand right now. You see, love is this amazing thing and when it's true and when it's complete, like a parent's love for a child, it can't be measured and it can't be explained. You'll only begin to understand it when one day, it dawns on you the sacrifices that they've made and all the selfless acts they've done just for you...for only you. So, please do them a favor right now and fight, fight, fight to get better. It would mean EVERYTHING to them and it would be a heck of a lot to all of us watching and reading and learning from the sidelines. We can see their love and know that someday you will, too.

Get better soon!
Arwen

Posted by: Arwen at October 21, 2009 9:18 AM

So glad to see this update and hear Mia is improving, what a relief. Now we'll all just continue our positive thoughts and you'll all be home soon!

Posted by: Diane at October 21, 2009 9:18 AM

You are so right that nothing prepares you for a hospital visit with your child. I sat in the ER for over 2 hours with my son waiting for him to get 7 stitches in his head from a fall off a hammock last year, and as great as the staff was, I never want to go back. I'm so happy to hear Mia's doing better for the most part, and looking forward to the next post where you tell us she's back home. In the meantime, try to keep faith in the doctors & nurses and know she's in good hands, and remember: laughter is the best medicine, and a pretty good breathing exercise too!

Posted by: margo at October 21, 2009 9:20 AM

Oh, yay! Not yay that she's sick, but yay that now you have a name for it, and a plan of attack, and it's something relatively simple (even though I'm sure it certainly doesn't feel like it).

Posted by: Fraulein N at October 21, 2009 9:20 AM

I'm very glad to hear that she's recovering. I'm still thinking of her and wishing you all well.

Posted by: Brad at October 21, 2009 9:26 AM

Oh my. I missed your post as my routine was thrown off yesterday (you are my breakfast companion every day at work). I'm glad to hear she is doing better but sorry to hear this happened at all. Elliot was in the hospital for 4 days with pneumonia when he was 3 and it was the worst thing I've ever gone through. I'm sending good thoughts your way.

Posted by: Elizabeth at October 21, 2009 9:38 AM

Good to hear Mia is getting better. Will continue to send my good thoughts/vibes your way so she can come home soon as good as new. Hang in there!

Posted by: cyndy at October 21, 2009 9:43 AM

Thanks so much for the update. I hope things continue to improve - and rapidly.

Warm regards,
Cas

Posted by: cassie-b at October 21, 2009 9:45 AM

Sounds like she is on the mend, Chris. Will keep up the good thoughts and prayers until she out of there and home with Owen again. :)

Posted by: Jon (was) in Michigan at October 21, 2009 9:55 AM

I can totally picture her arguing about the mask and getting antsy. She's a straightforward one, that Mia!

And Chris, you hang in there. You will walk through this parenting moment like every other one. You don't have to do it gracefully. Just remember that.

Posted by: k8 at October 21, 2009 9:55 AM

Mia, You, and the rest of your family are in my prayers.

Posted by: Trisha at October 21, 2009 9:58 AM

I'm so glad she is improving. Continued positive thought, cause I had them yesterday just didn't post them.

Posted by: earthami at October 21, 2009 10:03 AM

Oh, man. I've been MIA for a while, and it's so sad to come back to this. The fighting is a good sign, since it shows energy. Poor peanut.

Makes you wonder how the people with chronically sick kids, I mean really, really sick, do it, doesn't it?

Best wishes to you and your family.

Posted by: Alias Mother at October 21, 2009 10:05 AM

We're keeping you all in our thoughts. The Other Half wanted me to tell you that she's been in Mia's place before and she's sending extra positive vibes her way (I'm pretty sure those extra positive vibes contain rainbows and unicorns).

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at October 21, 2009 10:11 AM

Pneumonia! As serious as that is I'm glad it's not -more- serious. I hope by now you are on your way home. Thank you for the update, your family remains in my thoughts and prayers.

Posted by: Rebecca at October 21, 2009 10:17 AM

Mia and all of your familia are in my thoughts and prayers. Hoping she gets better soon!

Posted by: catbird at October 21, 2009 10:26 AM

I think when I read this, I went "oh, thank goodness, just pneumonia!" I was hoping that or asthma. I've had pneumonia a bunch of times (hospitalized and non-hospitalized, little and adult, walking and regular, even an allergy reaction build-up flavor) and asthma.

I'd rather have pneumonia. You get better.

Just reiterating--pneumonia goes away. Doctors and nurses and drugs do that. She'll be fine, but I'll pray for a quick recovery. Because hospitals are soooooo boring if you're not doing _that_ badly. And Miss Mia is doing very well, if she's wanting to get up, etc.

Massive hugs to you all.

Posted by: alektra at October 21, 2009 10:26 AM

Keep getting better Mia! Hope you get to bring her home soon, for her sake, for your sake and for Owen's.

Posted by: bad penguin at October 21, 2009 10:32 AM

Oh my gosh.... There is simply no worse feeling than seeing your child in the hospital. I missed your post yesterday due to my own BIG WORK THING and just read it and the update and had cold chills at remembering my own experience with my little man in the hospital.... the helplessness... the total need to fall apart and the knowledge that falling apart is the absolute last thing you can do because this little person needs your strength more than anything - more than the oxygen and the IV. My story ended very happily and that tiny helpless child is now a mouthy 11-year-old and I know yours will go the same way. But in the meantime.... there is nothing in my heart but genuine love for you total strangers that I know only through the magical interwebs. All good thoughts to you and Beth and Owen and especially wee Mia. *HUGS*

Posted by: Stephanie at October 21, 2009 10:35 AM

I'm so happy for u guys! I feel for Owen, poor guy missing Mia so.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at October 21, 2009 10:40 AM

Glad that Mia is getting better- hope she gets to come home today (or at least, very soon!)...it is so sweet that Owen is finding ways to stay close to her! They must have a really good bond already :)
Take care and I hope things return to "normal" for you guys very soon!!

Posted by: Jane in Pa at October 21, 2009 10:46 AM

My thoughts are with you and your family and I'm sending Mia get well soon vibes.

Posted by: suze at October 21, 2009 10:50 AM

I know from personal experience how horrible it is to have one of your babies in the hospital. Hang in there! I will be sending all my good vibes to Mia in hopes that she can go home soon. In the meantime, hugs to you, Beth, Mia and Owen.

Posted by: Kris H. at October 21, 2009 11:00 AM

The poor kiddo! I'm glad that she is improving with the treatment, although I know that there's no way it's going fast enough for any of you. She's so lucky to have a daddy that loves her so much. I think that's the best medicine you can have. Sending all sorts of positive thoughts to you, Beth, Mia and Owen and hoping she's home with you tomorrow.

Posted by: Kate at October 21, 2009 11:03 AM

Chris - so glad to hear she's getting better. She will pull through this just fine and be over it in no time (you and Beth won't ever be over it, I'm sure). That's so sweet about Owen. Those are some awesome kids you have there. Still keeping her in my thoughts.

Posted by: js at October 21, 2009 11:14 AM

crap i just saw your updated post from yesterday.

Sending good thoughts and positive vibes. All will be well, but that doesn't mean its not awful and scary and...well, I'm wishing Mia a speedy recovery. My sense is that she'll recover faster than you will.

Posted by: jessica at October 21, 2009 11:15 AM

Please let me know if there's anything you or Beth need. I can be there within an hour.

Posted by: lumpyheadsmom at October 21, 2009 12:08 PM

Holy cow! I get too busy to read you for a few days and this is what I find? Poor sweet little one! She's the same age as two of mine ended up with pneumonia, the youngest one in the hospital three days before Christmas. It was a nightmare on all fronts - juggling the other kids, trying to be what the sick one needed every minute and trying to take care of ourselves at the same time. I sooo empathize.

You give Mia a hug from the internet. Heck, I think you, Beth and Owen need one too. Take care of yourselves!

Posted by: Theresa at October 21, 2009 12:13 PM

thanks for the update. i was just thinking about you all - glad to hear that they know what's up and she's getting treatment. i hope this passes soon and she's back home before you know it.

Posted by: mingaling at October 21, 2009 12:15 PM

I can definitely relate to your terror and sense of helplessness. My niece was hospitalized for 5 days when she was 8 months old for a UTI that turned into a kidney infection, which in turn caused a high fever that made her have a febrile seizure. My sister didn't even know she was sick until she had the seizure and her fever spiked, because she was such a happy go lucky baby and didn't act sick at all. It all happened so fast, and before they knew it they were in the ER and giving the baby a spinal tap. They thought she had meningitis. Luckily, she didn't, but she was on intravenous antibiotics for two weeks. The helplnessness that all of us felt, seeing that precious little girl laying in a hospital crib, her arms tied down to boards so she couldn't pull out her IV's, was just terrifying. And the whole time, she just smiled. She was the trouper. The little fighter. Similarly, I can guarantee that Mia is a little fighter and will knock the crap out of that pneumonia!

Give her lots of hugs for me. I will definitely say some prayers that she heals quickly! God bless!

Posted by: Katie at October 21, 2009 12:17 PM

I'm glad she's doing better. Hopefully she'll be home with you all soon.

Posted by: Michelle at October 21, 2009 12:25 PM

I saw this late, but wanted to let you know there's yet another person sending good thoughts your way. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Mia and hope your little family is together and home real soon!

Posted by: Tara at October 21, 2009 12:32 PM

Hey man, I know exactly what you are going through in the hospital and being helpless to do anything but wait. We love you guys and are sending our thoughts of peace and health. I have spent so much time in hospitals in the last year and it is exhausting, scary, and boring as hell. I've been with my brother and it's been horribly difficult I can't imagine what it's like doing it with your child. Just remember to keep eating and get some SLEEP. It will help Mia to have you guys in OK shape. Hugs to you all.

Posted by: tulip at October 21, 2009 12:41 PM

Hang in there. And when I was a kid, I ended up in the hospital for 3 days with some kind of virus thing ( don't think they ever really knew what it was ) but my dad got me my first GameBoy ( the old white, size of a brick kind ). Really helped the time pass ( hint hint nudge nudge ).

Seriously though, I hope that Mia has a swift and full recovery, followed by some much need rest for the entire Cactus clan.

Austin

Posted by: metawizard at October 21, 2009 12:55 PM

It makes me sick to think of her like that. All our best to all of you!

Posted by: heels at October 21, 2009 1:10 PM

She's one tough cookie! Glad to hear she's starting to get better. Give that little girl lots and lots and lots of hugs!

Posted by: Tai at October 21, 2009 1:23 PM

Am sooo glad Mia's doing better. Even hearing about the mask and all the tubes hooked up to her- ack. I don't know how you can see it without crying every few seconds. I guess that probably wouldn't be best for Mia, though? :)

Posted by: caleal at October 21, 2009 1:35 PM

sweet that little Owen misses his big sister...sibling love is fantastic.

Posted by: Kristy at October 21, 2009 2:00 PM

I am so sorry she's sick! But, very happy to hear she's improving. Y'all will be in our thoughts.

Posted by: Jennifer at October 21, 2009 2:28 PM

glad to hear mia is feeling better and just wanted to let you know that being a doctor or nurse doesn't help you in these situations. It only makes you more nervous and waaaay more annoying. Good luck with the mask-wrestling matches!

Posted by: jeanne at October 21, 2009 3:41 PM

Hoping things get better everyday! I think you and your family are very strong and will get through this just fine. In the meantime keep doing the best you can to make Mia feel better...love is what keeps it all together! Take care of you too!

Jewels

Posted by: Julie Andel at October 21, 2009 4:02 PM

So very good to hear that Mia is doing better. So grateful to see an update! Take care of yourselves, too. She needs healthy parents! Keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers for her speediest recovery.

Posted by: Keri at October 21, 2009 4:33 PM

Hugs & healthy best wishes to all of you, especially Mia!

Posted by: at October 21, 2009 5:04 PM

Hugs & healthy best wishes to all of you, especially Mia!

Posted by: at October 21, 2009 5:04 PM

I was away from the internet for a few days and returned to see this. I'm so glad that she's doing better. I can't even imagine the stress you've been under the last few days. Hugs to everyone.

Posted by: Carmen at October 21, 2009 5:21 PM

Just read about this over at Beth's and I'm so sorry I had no idea what was going on! I hear she's home but I'm still praying for you all in hopes that she's running around like a crazy person super soon. And then you and Beth can collect yourselves and have a good scream. Always good after terrifying illnesses with your children.

xo

Posted by: samantha jo campen at October 21, 2009 6:46 PM

Lots of healthy thoughts beaming towards Miabean's lungs, etc. And hugs all around. Hang in there dad, she'll be just fine.

Posted by: Kris at October 21, 2009 6:52 PM

sending happy thoughts and hugs to all of you

I went through this when I was three - totally scary for my parents - if memory serves, lollipops helped A LOT

xoxo

Posted by: Kathryn at October 21, 2009 7:24 PM

Go Mia! Enough said.

Posted by: Carolyn at October 21, 2009 7:30 PM

Hi, I saw at Beth's that she is home. I hope she recovers quickly.

Posted by: at October 21, 2009 8:38 PM

I so hope Mia is doing better soon!! Hugs to your entire family.

Posted by: Krush at October 21, 2009 8:40 PM

I so hope Mia is doing better soon!! Hugs to your entire family.

Posted by: Krush at October 21, 2009 8:40 PM

How scary, for both of you! I'm so glad to hear that Mia is improving. I've been there and being in a hospital with your sick child does rank number #1 on the Sucky-Scared Shitless list.

Hang in there Chris.

Posted by: Tammy at October 21, 2009 9:13 PM

Chris - I just got to this late. Our thoughts and prayers are with your entire family. We had a trip to Children's Hospital a few months ago due to a reaction from a shot. It sucks to feel so out of control. I am so glad that she's doing better and hope the whole gang will be all together real soon.

Posted by: DCUrbanDad at October 21, 2009 9:23 PM

I know some people are weird about physical contact, etc., but this is how we express our caring and support in my family:

Yes, I just cyber-hugged a stranger. There may be a few things more terrifying than seeing your child in a hospital bed, but not many. The first time we had to rush our first baby to the ER felt like a nightmare. Her first "hospitalization" was scheduled and routine, but certainly unnerving (she was 18 mo old). I can only imagine the anxiety/tension/fear involved for you and Beth. I'm wishing all the Cactuses health and happiness.

Posted by: kate at October 21, 2009 10:20 PM

In my own short time as a parent, a sick child is the hardest thing (by far) to cope with. Our good thoughts and prayers are with your family!

Posted by: scott at October 21, 2009 10:51 PM

So glad to hear she's improving. There's really nothing worse than having a sick kid and there's nothing you can do to make it better, isn't there?

Posted by: NG at October 21, 2009 11:18 PM

Oh, my. That is so scary. I'm glad she's doing ok.

Posted by: Poppy at October 21, 2009 11:26 PM

Oh, WOW! I didn't realize she was sick (I've been away from reading blogs for awhile). I'm so glad that she's pulled through and is doing better, but I'll still sends lots of happy thoughts for her.

Of course some peaceful sleep for you and Beth, too.

Posted by: Scattered Mom at October 22, 2009 1:45 AM

I can't imagine how nerve-wracking it must be for a parent to have a child in the hospital, but I refuse to believe that all that Grey's Anatomy training has been completely useless! =) I hope Mia is doing better-she's got people all around the world pulling for her.

Posted by: Dreamybee at October 22, 2009 8:28 AM

Thank you for updating, I'm so glad to hear that Mia is recovering! You all are in my thoughts and prayers!

Posted by: jenn at October 22, 2009 8:43 AM

So I normally read daily - but this week has been out of the ordinary and I just saw the news. Oh my goodness - Mia and your entire family are in my thoughts! The hospital sucks!
I'm send positive vibes for a speedy recovery!

Posted by: Melissa at October 22, 2009 8:52 AM

Chris - I'm thinking and praying for Mia and the rest of you. I can't imagine having to sit next to one of my girls in the hospital! Hopefully, she'll be back to normal soon... as normal as a kid can be anyhow!

Posted by: Kim at October 22, 2009 10:33 AM

good news! we're still keeping you all in our thoughts. i can only imagine what it must be like (will be like, right?, because at some point it seems inevitable for all us parents to be waiting on the sidelines for one of our children to get better, unable to really do anything but be there.)

hang in there!

Posted by: pvz at October 22, 2009 12:01 PM

Just catching up on my blogreading, and caught your news of the week. I'm sorry I wasn't aware enough to be sending good thoughts too, but looks like you had enough and Mia is on her way home.

What with the Big Work Thing and this, looks like fall owes you a do-over!

Hope the week is ending better than it started.

Posted by: Lisa at October 22, 2009 12:27 PM

I am so sorry to hear about Mia. I am glad she is feeling better. Im sure you were scared more than you have ever been in your life. I am just catching up on my blog reading and was saddened to hear about your scare. Im thinking positive thoughts for you and your loved ones.

Posted by: Elizabeth at October 25, 2009 10:21 PM