November 9, 2009

Fall, Risen

I was never a Boy Scout but I was a Webelo for, like, a month and a half and in that short month and a half I learned to be prepared. And I was prepared for the busy weekend since I'd just bought about $100 worth of beer.

DSC_5195%20copy%20sm.jpg

Owen came down with something late last week. Nothing like what Mia had that landed her in the hospital but whatever it was landed him in bed with Beth and I and has, in turn, infected Beth. Owen spent Friday night with me in the guest room while I tried to buy Beth a little sleep. And I really just used the wrong pronoun. Owen didn't sleep with me, he slept on me. I was more of a pillow or a prop than a comforting parent. As I was lying there, under my son, awake, I spent some quality time having flashbacks of the night I spent with Mia in the same room, in the same bed which was followed by her hospital stay. So I spent a lot of time listening to Owen breathe and having a running monologue about the speed and depth of his breaths and contemplating the inevitable hospital visit. In the middle of the night, brains tend to exaggerate. He was fine. I was sleep deprived.

Owen awoke the next morning feeling better. I needed coffee and a chiropractor. We got out of the house, ran some errands. Mia and I made angelfood cake. Then we tried to tackle the enormous pile of leaves that had accumulated in our front yard. Though first we contemplated letting them blow into our neighbors yards but then realized that they probably already thought we were weird and decided not to give them any ammunition for outright hostility towards us. Plus we got to see Mia use the leaf blower which was pretty hilarious and not at all helpful.

On Sunday, we took advantage of the weather and went for a walk in the park.

DSC_5168%20copy_sm.jpg

I'm not sure why but this is the first weekend it's actually felt like fall. And I'm reminded how much I love fall. I love the leaves (but hate cleaning them up). I love the cool weather (but not the inevitable freezing and ice). I love my bundled-up kids, with their mittened hands and pink cheeks (but not the colds they end up with). I love hot chocolate and, especially mashmallows. I love Thanksgiving (not that I don't wonder how it came around so fast) and I love the warm-up to Christmas (though I have the same feeling about the passage of time).
DSC_5189%20copy%20sm.jpg

What do you love about fall?

Posted by Chris at November 9, 2009 7:21 AM
Comments

I love fall. It is my favorite season of all. I think the things I love best are the colors and the smells!

Posted by: Elizabeth at November 9, 2009 8:28 AM

I had the same feeling this weekend; it was beautiful this weekend, not too cool and a nice breeze...the perfect start to fall. And now it's supposed to be 70 degrees outside. What up with that?! LOL

Posted by: Michelle at November 9, 2009 8:40 AM

I love the brightly coloured leaves (though we are mostly past that now. Boo!) and the slight bite in the air and the smell of fall, which is hard to define, but just...is. If it were sunny more, I think I'd handle the change in seasons better, but all the gray really does get to me after a while.

Posted by: Heather at November 9, 2009 8:58 AM

I love the leaves turning, I love hot chocolate, I love when you can go out in just a jersey hoodie and be warm and the sun is shining but there is a nip in the air and all the holiday decorations, pumpkins and scarecrows, cornstalks...etc.

Posted by: Dee at November 9, 2009 9:16 AM

I love everything about fall. The colours, the smell of burning leaves, the weather, and my birthday (today)!! Now if only we could do away w/ winter. I mean Christmas can stay but no snow, ice, etc.

Posted by: Kris at November 9, 2009 9:28 AM

There are a million things I love about Fall but my favorite is that the air feels cleaner and fresher. Even here in Florida (N. Florida) we get cool weather and it's so nice to inhale and not feel all humid and gross.

Posted by: Claire at November 9, 2009 9:29 AM

I love the changes too. The colors mostly and knowing that winter is just around the corner. The smells mostly as people seem to bake and cook more in the winter since everyone is inside a great deal more. The smell of a wood fireplace.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at November 9, 2009 10:05 AM

Birthdays, bright leaves, cooler temperatures, warm woolie sweaters and sleepy weekends.

Posted by: Maribeth at November 9, 2009 10:50 AM

love your recap of the weekend. i hope everyone is feeling better. fall is my absolute favorite season. i love everything about it :)

Posted by: kati at November 9, 2009 10:56 AM

I love it not being 97 freaking degrees!

Posted by: sw at November 9, 2009 11:58 AM

I find fall too ominous. Everything is dying, albiet in a pretty way. I'm more of a spring girl myself. I love the freshness & rebirth of everything. Enjoy your season :)

Posted by: LaineyDid at November 9, 2009 11:58 AM

I effing love fall. I love the smell of chimney fires and the chill in the air. I love high school football and how it gets dark early. I got married in October precisely because October? It happens in fall.

Posted by: Brooke at November 9, 2009 12:24 PM

I love the smell of fall. You don't get it too often out here, but back in New England the crisp, smoky, dry-leaf smell of a fall day was one of my favorite scents. It's always been my favorite season but I find it somewhat bittersweet as well. I think that's because, as a kid, I associated it with summer ending and school starting. I can't decide if that makes it a terrible or strangely appropriate time of year for me to deal with the stuff I'm wading through at the moment. I guess there's no ideal time of year for heartbreak, eh?

Posted by: jess at November 9, 2009 1:34 PM

I have mixed feelings on Fall; it is beautiful, but I also have issues with raking, and there is a bittersweet to the whole season that can get a little emotionally dragging, so someday tropic all the time sunny would be a nice way to wrap it up.

Anyway, as long as you have major amounts of raking to do, thought I'd share with you a new trick I learned. Instead of raking all the leaves into one big pile ( or piles ) and then raking into a sheet, instead start at the back of your property ( or front yard ) about a rake length away from the edge. Rake towards yourself, and then move over and keep doing this until you hit the other edge of the yard. Take one rake-length step back, and repeat, until you are at the other end of your property. You will now have rows of leaves, with clean rows inbetween. Lay your sheet in the clean row, and rake the leaf row onto it and dispose. I've found that it goes much quicker because you are only raking each leaf only as far as it is needed to get it onto the sheet ( instead of exerting effort to move the farthest leaf in the corner all the way to the pile ). My wife thought I was nuts, but I swear by it now, and it has the psych boost of seeing your yard clear up as you go ( instead of having to do a ton of raking, only then to do MORE raking to get it moved onto transport sheets ).

Glad the family is healthier, and take care of yourself ( as you are the only one to not have gotten sick so far! )

Austin

Posted by: metawizard at November 9, 2009 3:29 PM

What do I love about Fall? Pretty much everything. I love the approaching chill in the air. I love the colors that the leaves turn. I love that the leaves fall. I love the crunch they make. I love the time change. I love that I sleep better. I could go on.

Posted by: coolchick at November 9, 2009 9:06 PM

Wow! She used the leaf blower huh?
We borrowed our neighbor's tonight for a little bit and it was kinda like taking a dog for a walk that outweighs me by 100 pounds. That think had a life of it's own and my hands were numb after using it for 5 minutes! LOL!

Okay, things I love about fall....

I'm with you on the "I love the leaves (but hate cleaning them up)." and I love bundled-up kids, with their mittened hands and pink cheeks (but not the colds they end up with)." (or the smell of sweaty mitten hands) I also love hot chocolate and, especially with marshmallows too. I love Thanksgiving (and would love it more if for once someone else would do all the cooking and I could just show up, eat, and leave. No dishes to wash - nothing!) Okay, on to stuff you didn't mention: I love the smell of leaves burning though I don't burn them at my house. I love fall festival type events. I like pumpkin muffins. I even enjoy most Christmas music but need a VERY wide variety (there's a blog topic for you ;)

Posted by: Rose Winters at November 9, 2009 9:30 PM

The return of pink cheeks, sweater days, the perfect-est sleeping weather ever, leaves underfoot to crunch and that mulchy smell they emit.

Posted by: Karen at November 23, 2009 1:59 AM