November 16, 2009

Birthday Weekend Recap

This weekend was a special one, mainly because it was Beth's birthday. I won't tell you which one, not that I think she cares.

On Friday night, Mia and I baked a birthday cake. According to Mia, it had to be chocolate, with chocolate frosting. So that's what we did. Though, we kicked it up a couple of notches. To include day-glo pink icing and, of course, pink M&Ms. Two shades of pink M&Ms, to be precise.

BBDAY-CAKE.jpg

Beth got to sleep in a little on Saturday. Meanwhile, the kids and I got her presents wrapped and chilled out with some Scooby Doo (something we wouldn't subject Beth to on her birthday since she loathes Scooby). Then Mia and I cooked Beth a nice breakfast - French toast. Naturally, I spoke with a French accent the entire time. Then I decided to cut Owen's hair. Not too bad for my first time. Sure, there are a few bald spots but he's uber-blond and it'll grow back. Still, I think it looks okay. Don't you?

BBDAY-OHAIR.jpg

Later, Beth and Mia headed to a party for one of Mia's friends. While they were gone, Owen and I had some guy time. Then I caught sight of a cool leaf out on the deck. I took a picture of it. And Owen locked me out. After five minutes of me pleading and him giggling, he finally unlocked the door. I think it was kinda worth it.

BBDAY-LEAF.jpg

Once Beth and Mia came home, Beth and I jetted out for a night out. We ate at Founding Farmers in DC which was a nice concept - family farms, all natural food, everything homemade - but the execution wasn't so hot. Then we hit the DC Improv and saw a very un-funny guy open for a pretty strange and relatively funny headliner.

On Sunday, I worked. I know, sucky, right? Early last week I got handed a Slightly Large Work Thing which will be occupying my time pretty consistently this week. After I got home, some family came over. Mia got to hang with her cousins. Performances were, uh, performed.

BBDAY-PERFORM.jpg

There was a particularly moving song about dinosaurs.

Whew. I'm beat. And now I've got an 80 hour week ahead of me. So, what did you do? And what's in store for you this week?

Posted by Chris at November 16, 2009 6:24 AM
Comments

Happy (belated) Birthday to Beth! I myself am a fan of Nov birthdays, having one myself. lol

Good Luck w/ "Slightly Large Work Thing" (although 80 hr week sounds fairly sucky)

Also? Best Dinosaur Song EVER! haha

Posted by: Kris at November 16, 2009 9:15 AM

Homemade cakes for mom. I remember a hideous turquoise and orange frosted cake we made once. She LOVED IT! Haha. And performances were performed this weekend for the adults' entertainment around these parts as well. Something about saving a horse from impending death and drowning.

Posted by: k8 at November 16, 2009 9:55 AM

that is a good leaf pic! lola locked the sliding glass door behind me a few weeks ago. luckily, my husband had accidentally left the front door unlocked when he had left for his run. otherwise i would have been waiting outside until he got back. :)

Posted by: kati at November 16, 2009 10:22 AM

We had a birthday weekend too. I'm still recovering from the party. That was a heck of a lot of work, but worth it.

Posted by: jessica at November 16, 2009 12:58 PM

I love your leaf picture. That's funny that Owen locked you out, (though I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time) It's good that he loves you enough to have let you back inside :)
Mia's song was cute. At the beginning it sounded like she was singing it to the Jingle Bells song ;)
Happy Birthday to Beth! (love the cake!!)

Posted by: Rose Winters at November 16, 2009 1:09 PM

I started celebrating my birthday (today) with some friends, including a 2 year old who helped me blow out my candles with her nose.

Posted by: Katherine at November 16, 2009 1:20 PM

best dinosaur song EVER!

Posted by: ali at November 16, 2009 1:44 PM

Love that you all did so much for Beth. My B-day was last month and I got a hastily picked up and bagged present. No cake, no decorations, no breakfast. Now, I did giva partial break since it was on a Tuesday, but still no nice dinner or cake was had on the weekend. I guess my dh is just such a lousy planner.

Glad fun was had by all.

Posted by: debb at November 16, 2009 4:13 PM

My husband is in the military and has been down south for three weeks for training and I've been holding down the fort with my kids alone (a fact that no, I didn't broadcast to the internet). After doing the single mom thing, we (especially ME!) were relieved to see him roll into the driveway Saturday.

Sunday, he took over with the little people and I got my first real downtime in three weeks.

It was awesome and so necessary.

Posted by: sarah at November 16, 2009 6:11 PM

Sounds like a great weekend for the most part. I flew out Saturday morning for a conference in Chicago and flew back Sunday night. However, I did get to meet Chris from "Stranger in the Mirror" and that was totally awesome!!

Posted by: Krush at November 16, 2009 6:55 PM

Pretty leaf! And Beth already told us the magic number on her blog heh. I've got a lot of catch-up to play with school this week after being a bit sick and letting too many things slide!

Posted by: Heather at November 16, 2009 7:05 PM

Sounds like a great weekend!

Posted by: Maribeth at November 16, 2009 9:24 PM

Ummm..... what was Owen playing with back there on the sofa? ::snicker:: Love the dinosaurs song!

Posted by: coolchick at November 16, 2009 10:12 PM

It sounds like a great weekend.

I'm surprised that my children haven't tried to lock me out of the house yet. I'm paranoid though, I don't take the trash out without my keys..

I saw Robert Schimmel at the Improv in San Jose a few years back I wasn't impressed, he just wasn't that funny to me.

Posted by: Steph at November 17, 2009 6:10 PM

Some time before, I needed to buy a good house for my organization but I did not have enough cash and couldn't order anything. Thank God my fellow suggested to take the credit loans at reliable bank. Thence, I did that and was satisfied with my auto loan.

Posted by: KelseyWITT32 at March 18, 2010 4:34 PM