November 25, 2009

Thanks

The past two weeks have been busy. Very busy. I was stuck in traffic last Friday morning, heading to work after staying at work the previous night until 11:30. I'd had very little sleep and was doing my best to brace myself for the day to come. And then a story came on the radio.

From the moment the story started, I saw where it was heading. Despite the fact that I knew it was going to be so very heartbreaking, I couldn't help but listen. It was like seeing a train approach a pickup truck stalled on the tracks. You knew it was going to hit and you sincerely didn't want to watch but you couldn't help it. And so I listened.

The story, to paraphrase (you can read or listen to the story here): Nine year old Brian Korbon told his parents he wouldn't make it to ten. He didn't want a birthday party (but then agreed to one). His parents found him pulling a wagon loaded with toys. He told them he was going on his trip. He put a sign on his door which read Brian's on a trip. Don't worry about me. Then, after his party, Brian went and played in his little league game. Then died.

After I heard it - even though I had known where it was headed from word one - I felt like I'd been punched in the stomach as a tear escaped from behind my sunglasses. And then, immediately after, I felt thankful. Incredibly sorry for the Korbon family. But thankful for my life. Thankful that I have such a wonderful, loving family that I so desperately miss when I'm away from them even for an eight or ten hour work day. Thankful for two wonderful children, a lovely, brilliant wife. Thankful for a job that allows me to provide for them. And thankful for an extended family that continues to watch over us even though we're not children anymore as evidenced by the children of our own. Thankful that we live in a country that, despite some flaws, is a land which is free and prosperous. Thankful that I can type these words without fear of reprisal. Thankful for you out there reading.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Enjoy your children, your husbands, your wives, your significant others. And enjoy your life.

What are you thankful for?

Posted by Chris at November 25, 2009 8:10 AM
Comments

I'm thankful for my children, husband and parents. I'm thankful for my dog, Loki.
I'm thankful for the veterans that have fought for my freedoms.
I'm thankful I had the opportunity to serve my country.

But, to be perfectly honest, right now I'm in a place of "no joy".

It's not that I don't have things to be happy about. It's not that I am particularly sad.

I just...am.

Everyone keeps asking if it's because my husband just deployed. It's not. He hasn't been home for more than 30 days at a time since we came back LAST time from Afghanistan.

I think I'm just a little homesick for Good Ol' American Soil and a nice trip to the States for Christmas should perk me up.

In the meantime, I'm just kind of puttering through my days feeling a little lost.

Posted by: Holly Reynolds at November 25, 2009 8:27 AM

I'm thankful for *exactly* the same things as you. Except, um 3 children. And, oh yeah: husband! ;-)

Also: thanks for being here TO read!

Happy *American* Thanksgiving! :-)

Posted by: harmzie at November 25, 2009 8:58 AM

I think most of your readers are thankful for your family. If we don't have the most full lives, you, Beth, Mia, and Owen show us how it could be.

Posted by: alektra at November 25, 2009 9:13 AM

Thankful for a job, my bestfriend/husband and my three awesome sons. That story makes my heart hurt.

Posted by: apathy lounge at November 25, 2009 9:31 AM

Zach & I were driving to work and heard this one too. We BOTH had tears in our eyes. What a gut wrenching story.

I'm thankful for it all. For everything.

Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours, Chris.

Posted by: Caitlin at November 25, 2009 9:33 AM

Thankful for my family, that my daughter survived the pneumonia courtesy of the H1N1 that doesn't respond to tamiflu and the people - family and friends - who supported us in word, prayers and action.

Happy Thanksgiving Chris and family. You're blessed to have each other. :)

Posted by: Theresa at November 25, 2009 9:37 AM

I'm thankful that my mom has handled these past 9 months with grace and amazing strength. For my circle of friends. For my sweetie being there when I don't know what I would have done without him. For having enough food and warmth and freedom. For all of the sacrifices our soldiers make every day for us. And for fantastic blogs that entertain me because my job is really boring!

Posted by: Diane at November 25, 2009 9:50 AM

What a story! It makes my heart hurt.
I'm thankful for my family, all of them that I love very much; for my home; for our business through good times and bad.
I'm thankful for the ability to get out of bed unassisted every morning, for the ability to spend time every day with the kids at my school, to spend a couple of hours a week with my "little brother", to have a car to drive and the money I need for the things we need.
Holly Reynolds up there in the first comment -- I'll be thinking of you and sending you my good thoughts and prayers. My husband is home beside me, I can't imagine what you and your family go through. I go through those times sometimes where I just "am". It's passed for me and I move on and I hope the same for you.

Posted by: NancyJ at November 25, 2009 9:55 AM

ohh this was one of the best stories recently on NPR. I was not paying attention to the radio but as soon as the story started I stopped and listened and I was the exact same way. I wrote on my bloggity blog what I am thankful for. I have been working hard to be thankful ALL year long this past year and I tell you what it has been an amazing change in perspective for me to see the world through thankful eyes all the time!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted by: Christina at November 25, 2009 10:01 AM

I am thankful for so much. But mostly my second chance at life.

Posted by: k8 at November 25, 2009 10:34 AM

Happy Holidays to you, Watermelon.

I have an amazing amount to be thankful for but none greater than my healthy and happy children and wife. I feel lucky every day. I am grateful every day, but still when Thanksgiving comes around I am even more thankful. It's like a Slanket for my heart.

Posted by: Brad at November 25, 2009 10:53 AM

I love my dog Isabella.
She loves me no matter how broke I am as long as I cuddle with her :)
Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted by: Rose Winters at November 25, 2009 11:46 AM

I'm thankful for my family, 2 girls and wonderful wife. Thankful too for our warm/dry house, ample food and enough money to take care of all of us. Thankful for the company-provided health care that gives us reasonably inexpensive access to doctors, etc. Thankful for good writing and the ability to read and think for myself. Thankful for your blog.

Posted by: pvz at November 25, 2009 11:52 AM

Happy Thanksgiving!
We should all remember to take a moment EVERY day of our lives to be thankful for what we have :)

Posted by: LaineyDid at November 25, 2009 11:52 AM

I am thankful for so much, Chris. But this year I have been thinking how incredibly thankful I am that 24 years ago when I could have died, I lived.
I have enjoyed my husband, my daughter, my family, my friends. I've seen great happiness and been loved enough to get through the tremendous sadness's. I watched children born, and doggies too! Life is so good and I am blessed!
Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Posted by: Maribeth at November 25, 2009 12:51 PM

happy thanksgiving to you all!

i'm so thankful for my family. a sincerely helpful husband while i'm on bedrest. a beautiful, insanely smart daughter and for having made it to full-term with a new little guy.

Posted by: kati at November 25, 2009 1:08 PM

I read that story the other day. Made me bawl like a baby. *sigh* Also made me squeeze the crap out of my daughter!

I am thankful that despite my husbands addiction, he is clean now and has been for a month. That may not seem like much to some, but to me it is huge. I am not sure that we can ever repair things. I married him knowing he was an addict (who had been clean the entire time we were together until last year)so I feel that I should give him another go, because I did vow to be with him in sickness and in health, good times and bad. And I take that seriously. However, a lot of damage has been done. He is just such an amazing person when he has it together.. *sigh*

Either way, I am thankful that he is still alive, and thankful that he has chosen to fight, once again. I am thankful for my daughter, who is an amazing soul and the light in my life. I am thankful for my mom for giving us refuge as we lost our routine, our life and our home. I am thankful for my friends. I found out who my true friends were in all of this mess, and it surprised me.

Happy Thanksgiving Chris, to you and your beautiful family and to all of your readers/commenters as well.

Posted by: Jen at November 25, 2009 2:49 PM

Tonight is the night, when blogs make me cry.

I am thankful for The Man and The Boy, who make home strange, whacky and fun. Just the way I like it.

I am thankful for every single person who took 5 seconds to say they were thinking about us when The Boy got sick last Sunday and we ended up in hospital. (Damn, that right there.)

To everyone who has listened to me talk about work, and bitch and whine... and though they may not agree at least they listened. And I'm thankful for the source of all these problems because she made me realize what was truly important...

And yeah, I'm even thankful for bloggers who make me cry.

Happy Thanksgiving...

Posted by: Nat at November 25, 2009 8:51 PM

Happy Thanksgiving. I am truly blessed to have a wonderful family and friends. I am thankful for each and every one of them.

Posted by: DCUrbanDad at November 25, 2009 11:14 PM

I know I'm late to post here but Happy Belated Thanksgiving! I am thankful for my friends and family and that I have a job. I'm most thankful for my baby girl. My Christmas wish from last year (and to be honest, lots of wishes before that) came true. :)

Posted by: Teenuh at November 30, 2009 7:49 AM