November 17, 2009

God Gave Rock and Roll To You

Last night, Beth, Mia, Owen and I were learning some hand gestures over dinner. You know, saying okay or I love you with your hands. I tried to teach them to do the Village People YMCA thing but that didn't catch on all that well. Then I broke out the rock out hands. You know, the devil horns. Which caught on quite wonderfully.

Beth got a little over-enthusiastic in her rocking out (as she often does) and began to sing Kiss songs. (Which surprised me because, while I knew she knew who Kiss was, I thought the extent of her Kiss knowledge was something along the lines of the make-up guys). Like the devil horns, this was a popular dinner development. So much so that Mia enthusiastically sang right along with Beth. Though, her lyrics were slightly, well, different.

I wanna rock and roll all night
and party every day.
With balloons and cake
and even some donuts and definitely a card.
Presents are nice
and so are sprinkles.

I've never really been a Kiss fan. So I like Mia's version much, much better. But I can totally see Gene Simmonds belting that out.

What's your most-used hand gesture? Oh, and while we're at it, what's your least favorite band that everyone else seems to love? Mine? Kiss.

Posted by Chris at November 17, 2009 6:31 AM
Comments

Pretty sure Gene doesn't do sprinkles!

the older I get the more I think KISS is actually pretty kids friendly. (Good god Gene would hate that.) It is entirely possible that I am just a bad parent.

Posted by: Nat at November 17, 2009 7:20 AM

hmmmm I am not really a hand gesture kind of person unless you consider talking and waving your hands around at the same time...because I do that all the time.

My least favorite band that other people love but I just do not, it's a tie between the Rolling Stones and The David Matthews Band...I just cannot like either.

Posted by: Dee at November 17, 2009 7:35 AM

Most used hand gesture? Pointer finger up on each hand and raised over the head to show you are the greatest. Especially handy when beating your children at Guitar Hero...Least favorite band loved by everyone else? it's a tie and I don't know why this is, but The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. Maybe it's because I love Queen and Led Zeppelin?...

Posted by: Becki at November 17, 2009 7:37 AM

I flip the bird way too much.
I also can't stand DMB. They are so boring and over rated .

Posted by: Lisa at November 17, 2009 7:57 AM

Dave Matthews Band. Actually, I like the band, just not Dave Matthews. I'd be ok with them if they were just "Band."

Posted by: Amy at November 17, 2009 8:08 AM

My least favorite bands would have to be Pearl Jam and U2. From what they play on the radio, it seems that boths bands only have a total of 5 songs that they came out with. And I'm sick and tired of hearing them ALL THE TIME. Maybe if stations would play a little more variety, I might like them. But I also think they're a little over-rated.

As for hand gestures, I enjoy giving the thumbs up (especially while drunk) and the occasional middle finger (also while drinking). ;D

Posted by: Michelle at November 17, 2009 8:31 AM

Having watched way more "Family Jewels" (Gene Simmons reality show) than I should probably admit in public, I'm pretty sure Gene would totally go for sprinkles and cake. Kiss is like the cartoon version of a big bad heavy metal band.

U2 for me. Have never owned one of their albums.

Posted by: COD at November 17, 2009 8:44 AM

1) Peace out. (Huh, according to wikipedia, this has a name. The V-sign. Offensive in the UK if palm faces inward.)
2) Pink Floyd.

Posted by: Sabrina at November 17, 2009 8:52 AM

We are always doing the asl sign for "I love you" in my house. Always. Daily. More than once. I just did it ten minutes ago as my kid walked out the door to get on the school bus. My family has always done it - I remember looking up at my college graduation and seeing my mom signing I love you. It's just what we do.

Bands I hate that people seem to love... Well, I don't dig U2. I REALLY dislike Nickelback (I don't know anyone who likes them, yet they get tons of radio play, so someone MUST). I'm not a fan of Kiss (though I thought you were going to say Beth started singing "Beth" - I think that was Kiss).

Posted by: sarah at November 17, 2009 8:58 AM

My most common hand gesture? Flailing randomness. I gesture a lot when I talk, so those are my most common gestures.

And my least favorite band that everyone seems to love is probably The Who. I just...can't. I've tried.

Speaking of Kiss, I saw Gene Simmons at the mall a few years ago. He was doing a signing for...cologne? Or something. Outside the Hudson Belk. It was completely random because I had NO idea he would be there and there was such an interest mix of people waiting in line.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at November 17, 2009 9:33 AM

Fist pull when you say awesome. I didn't realize it until two interpreters from China started imitating me.

Rush. Hands down.

Posted by: alektra at November 17, 2009 9:57 AM

Pointy finger works best for me, as my 9 month old is doing it all the time. When I drive, I point at other morons who are thinking of pulling out in front of me. They probably can't see it, but it makes me feel better.

Least favorite band that everyone likes - Probably Nickelback.

Favorite band and everyone dislikes - Dave Matthews Band. Ya gotta hear Dave and Tim play acoustic together - priceless!

Posted by: Jesse at November 17, 2009 10:19 AM

1) probably pointing, because after barking out an order the first seven times, pointing to the location they are supposed to be doing something (brushing teeth, putting on pjs, etc) evokes more of a reaction than actually barking it an eighth time. After that, thumbs-up is used a lot. For some reason, my kids often tend to ask me "hows this?" when my mouth is full.

2) Guess Who. I think it's in our constitution that I'm supposed to worship them, but I just can't. Nickelback. Rush. Red Hot Chili Peppers. Beatles (don't tell my mom).

Posted by: harmzie at November 17, 2009 10:22 AM

Favorite gesture would be the Tiger Woods fist pump when nailing a large putt (by my standards).

The band would be Nirvana. I never understood why people think Kurt Cobain was a musical genius.

Posted by: Rex at November 17, 2009 10:56 AM

I bust out the devil horns daily. I do it at work, if someone says, for example, "I'll get you that file by 3," I throw the horns and say, "Rockin'."

Least favorite band that everyone else loves? Hmmm...maybe...hmmm. Rush, I guess. Probably because I'm not a musician and I don't *appreciate* them as I should. I like a few of their tunes, but I just don't find them amazing. Also, Michael Jackson.

Posted by: Brooke at November 17, 2009 11:34 AM

I enjoy giving exaggerated thumbs up to people who employ sarcasm or answer obvious questions.

I, too, hate Kiss with the burning fire of a thousand suns. I'm a pretty open-minded person where music is concerned, but have never under any circumstances understood what the hell anyone sees in them or their 'music'.

On the topic of music, Porcupine Tree's new one is so good that I peed a little the first time I heard it. I was so impressed I lost bladder control for awhile. It's really impressive how they've managed to get better and better.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at November 17, 2009 11:39 AM

Gesture - The "I've got my eyes on you" from Meet the Fokers.

Band - Green Day and anything Emo

Posted by: Johnny Smoke at November 17, 2009 11:53 AM

I don't use a lot of hand gestures. I used to do baby sign language when my kids were little so "milk", "more", "change", "ok" were big ones. Aside from the occassional thumbs up or flipping of the bird to terrible drivers i'd say I'm pretty "gesture-less." As far as bands go, I'd have to say U2. I like a few of their songs, but I don't get all the hype.

Posted by: Sarah at November 17, 2009 12:25 PM

We are a Texas family and UT is Todd's school, so Hookem' Horns is the gang sign in our house. The boys have been able to do it since about 18 months. It was learn, or get put up for adoption...so, you know....

I hate CCR. HATE.

Posted by: Charlise at November 17, 2009 1:13 PM

Favorite hand gesture ? When asking for money owed...thumb rubbing against first two fingers... I like it especially when its followed by someone putting money in my hands...

and... cmon.. Queen. My first two albums owned. News of the World and George Carlins seven little words. Mom couldnt believe she let me buy them... ;-)

Posted by: David at November 17, 2009 1:33 PM

These comments made my day. I thought I was the only person in the world who didn't get U2.

Posted by: Pat at November 17, 2009 3:31 PM

My boys (14 months) are pretty good with signs like please, thank you, more, milk, all done, ect. But my husband and I are both UF alumni and the boys have picked up the gator chomp in the past couple of months now that football season is in full swing. Now whenever they do something they are proud of, chubby arms start vertically clapping. We have our own cheering section. :)
Band everyone likes but me: U2, mostly because I just can't stand Bono.

Posted by: Tess at November 17, 2009 5:43 PM

Hand gesture would definitely be pointing, or more specifically wagging my index finger at people when I talk. I try to be aware of it and not do it but it's what I do! Surprised someone hasn't grabbed it or tried to take a bite out of it yet!

Least favorite band? Mos def U2 or Nickelback. Can I say Taylor Swift though? Cus the girl Can't carry a tune in a bucket!

Posted by: NancyJ at November 17, 2009 7:22 PM

I use hand gestures a lot! I am uh...Deaf LOL. The latest hand gesture is "grapes" Henry my not so far off 2 year old (January) asks for grapes in sign. Though...I LOVE LOVE LOVE the sign my co-worker and I developed for "freakin!" As in "Is this freakin' day every going to be freakin' over?" So it goes like this (verbal) Is this (sign) day every going to be (sign) over? Our students think we are the special ed ones!

Posted by: CHERYL at November 17, 2009 9:01 PM

Of course Beth knows KISS. They named a song after her.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at November 17, 2009 11:19 PM

What a little songwriter Mia is!

Posted by: kat at November 17, 2009 11:56 PM

I give the Peace sign a lot - in traffic mostly...sort of a thank you I guess...oh - and at work too...

band...hmmm...well Dylan makes me want to pull my hair out. I don't get Aerosmith either.

Posted by: Sue R at November 18, 2009 12:39 PM

Hand gesture? Um, rubbing the side of my nose with my middle finger (yeah, *that* middle finger) when he's pissing me off. Kind of a quiet, polite 'eff off'. As for bands, oh lots of the current popular acts, I admit I'm old and I don't get it (you kinda have to admit you're not a teenager anymore when your new family doctor is younger than you. Sucks.) But my biggest one is Nickelback. All their songs sound the same lately. 'Course that could be because I'm in Canada and due to CRTC regulations on Canadian content, the stations here have to play a Nickelback song every 15 seconds. With at least one Bryan Adams song every hour. Or Kim Mitchell. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Posted by: Jen at November 18, 2009 3:26 PM

I am probably far to fond of the bird...

however- I am not so fond of the Aerosmith.

Posted by: amy at November 18, 2009 4:58 PM

Probably "come here", as in "it's time to go in and I've spoken enough words. you will come in or I will lock the door behind me as I go inside." 4-year-old boys need clear-cut symbols.

Bands? Either Kiss or Coldplay.

Posted by: Brad at November 18, 2009 6:02 PM

Hand gesture? I flip the bird way too much. Lately I've even begun using both hands simultaneously. Obviously I'm in need of an intervention.

Bands? I am loathe to admit this but I really, really don't get or care for the Beatles. Please no angry mobs!

Posted by: Jennifer at November 19, 2009 2:40 PM

U2 (eeesh)

Hand gesture = the ASL I love you sign... to my kids, my hubbie when he's in a different car, etc.

Posted by: K at November 19, 2009 4:50 PM

The horns, no question. I throw them daily, which is how frequently I like to think I still rock out.

Coldplay. Cliche, but true. Also, Amy wins way up there above me for the "DMB would be okay if they were just 'the Band."

Posted by: Laurie at November 21, 2009 12:31 PM

The Dixie Chicks. Should the FBI ever need to interrogate me, some Dixie Chicks should break my will just fine.

Posted by: Karen at November 23, 2009 1:55 AM

This is well known that cash can make us independent. But what to do if someone does not have cash? The one way is to try to get the home loans or secured loan.

Posted by: Lawrence18Johanna at April 21, 2010 9:52 PM