November 2, 2009

Halloween 2009

There are leaves on the ground, the evenings are cooler, the clocks are set back, the stores are playing Christmas music and the trick-or-treating is over for the year. I guess it's time to admit that it's fall. It all seemed to happen so fast. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Halloween.

With the recent hospital stay, Halloween kinda snuck up on us. So we tried to compensate by preparing and decorating for Halloween on Saturday.

On Saturday, Beth and I carved pumpkins. The kids were into it for the first five minutes but their enthusiasm waned when, on minute six, they realized the pumpkin carving was a) something they couldn't really help with after the seed scooping was done lest they remove digits with the carving tools and b) going to take more like hours than minutes and Snow White's face wasn't just going to magically appear. Beth and I persevered. We ended up with three perfectly carved pumpkins - fall leaves, Scooby Doo and the aforementioned Snow White.

The worst idea of the weekend had to be heading to the local party store for extra Halloween decorations. Why? Because everyone and their brother - and maybe even their cousins, second cousins, long lost relatives and family friends - were there. Mia and I waited in line for 25 minutes in order to pay. Thank god (again) for the iPhone. Once we'd checked out, we headed home, decorated pumpkins, hung the decorations and had dinner. All an excuse to pass time before the main event - trick or treating.

Trick-or-treating itself was hilarious. I mean, of course Mia was into it. I mean, outfits and candy. What could be bad about that? But Owen's reaction was something of an unknown. And he was dubious at first. He approached a house with Mia but at the first sight of someone, he turned tail and bolted. Until he realized these people had candy. For him. That he could take and eventually eat. Then he sprinted from house to house. Mia reprised her role as Ariel complete with a day-glo red wig that eliminated the need to carry flashlights or glow-sticks. And Owen transformed himself into his favorite character, Scooby Doo. Minus the head. He hated the Scooby Doo head. Halloweiner.

On Sunday, Mia and I spent some quality time together. We went shopping, getting some stuff for Beth's upcoming birthday, and went out to lunch. It was great. After getting out of the hospital, Mia was justifiably attached to her mom. She wanted Beth to do everything with her. My only reason for being was to keep Owen busy. I guess that's a predictable reaction to what had to be a pretty traumatic event for her. Rationally, I understand that but I kinda wanted my daddy-loving daughter back. And this weekend I got her. We had a fantastic time, so much so that she made me promise we'd have a date every Sunday.

How were your Halloweens?

Posted by Chris at November 2, 2009 6:43 AM
Comments

My father and I used to have Daddy/daughter dates and they are to this day some of my favorite memories.

Posted by: jodifur at November 2, 2009 7:31 AM

Quiet. Not one Trick or Treat-er!

Posted by: Maribeth at November 2, 2009 7:46 AM

I had an alumni event I had to work. It's great fun having a job that lets you plan parties for alumni all year long...but a bummer when the homecoming game is on Halloween and at NIGHT. Who planned that? Stupid t.v. revenue. So I missed giving out candy.

However, the event went off just as planned and alumni had a good time.

Posted by: daisy at November 2, 2009 8:26 AM

Halloween isn't very big over here. However, I did introduce my colleagues to pumpkin bread. After some very dubious looks, they loved it. Maybe next week I'll do zucchini bread - green bread will definitely freak them out. :)

Posted by: Hannah at November 2, 2009 8:30 AM

Halloween was lots of fun! Charlotte was all aquiver with excitment and dressed as a "dust fairy" (long story) and Elliot was Clone Trooper Rex. Then yesterday we had Elliot's pneumonia-delayed birthday party so it was a sweet treat filled weekend :)

Posted by: Elizabeth at November 2, 2009 8:39 AM

awww a daddy daughter date...how sweet :)

Posted by: becky at November 2, 2009 9:02 AM

We had a group of kids dressed as prairie muffins say "God Bless You" instead of thank you after receiving their candy. I guess pretending to participate in Halloween so you can proselytize door to door is the new handing out bible verses instead of candy.

I only wish I had been ready with an appropriate retort.

Posted by: COD at November 2, 2009 9:11 AM

Glad you had such a good time. Is the pumpkin a fruit?

I stopped carving and started painting pumpkins years ago. The kids have a wonderful time and it's so much simpler.

Posted by: Ann Adams at November 2, 2009 9:32 AM

The party store on Thursday was bad enough. I can't even imagine how bad it would have been on Saturday!

We had a party at our house, which was a lot of fun. I dressed the dog up as a wolf in sheep's clothing, it was pretty adorable.

Posted by: Hope at November 2, 2009 10:04 AM

You are hearby chastized for no pictures, young man.

I went to the dollar store for birthday cards on Saturday night. Um. No. The lines went to the back of the store!

Posted by: k8 at November 2, 2009 10:09 AM

Halloween was ballet in the morning, then out trick or treating with friends. Daya got a ton of candy, then lost interest in the whole thing after someone gave her a balloon.

Alas, most of it isn't even good candy.

Posted by: jessica at November 2, 2009 10:15 AM

sounds like a great weekend :)

Posted by: kati at November 2, 2009 11:05 AM

I implore you to keep up the father-daughter dates! My Dad did that with me, and to this day I have vivid memories of those dates that I cherish. My Dad has passed, making the memories that much more special.

Posted by: laineyDid at November 2, 2009 11:14 AM

Our Halloween was good. My 4 year old was Princess Belle and had a great time trick or treating. Her little brother was spiderman and his reaction was much the same as Owen's. He wasn't sure of it at first, then gladly ran house to house. By the time we were done circling the block though he was almost asleep on Daddy's shoulder, but still making Daddy walk to each door so he could get more candy.

Posted by: Steph at November 2, 2009 1:17 PM

Uh Chris, where are the photos? Everyone here complained about the rain. It's warm here. Quit your bitchin', could be snowing. I forgot to eat dinner, drank too many cosmos and got not enough sleep. (my kids had fun too!) Who decided to put an end to daylight savings time on the day after Halloween? That was smart. Children and dogs have no sense of time changing. I wanted to feed my dogs at 5 am, really!

Posted by: Christy at November 2, 2009 4:31 PM

Yeah, I did a whole lot of absolutely nothing. My life is so exciting :P

Posted by: Heather at November 2, 2009 7:14 PM

There were no children here to get ready for Halloween. Heck the pumpkin I bought 3 weeks ago never even got carved!
Anyway...spent the day at the UConn-Rutgers game. We lost in the last :25. Story of our season.
Came home, had Tootsie Pops to hand out. I buy them because I like them and they must be sort of good for you yes?
I had probably 12-15 bunches of kids - 3 to 4 at a time. The BEST part is -- 99% of them are kids from the school I work at because I live in the same district. It was GREAT! None of them appeared surprised to see me answer the door but I think they really like when I called them by name.
Overall, it was a good Halloween!
Glad to hear yours was good and that you and Mia got to spend time together.
Oh! and even better was the extra hour of sleep I got the next morning!

Posted by: NancyJ at November 2, 2009 7:28 PM

The hubby and I aren't into Halloween. We used last week's snowstorm as an excuse to bail on Halloween. We kept our lights off, watched baseball & a movie in our basement and ignored the two times the doorbell rang.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at November 2, 2009 7:33 PM

Batman and his little sister, the Sugar Plum Fairy, spent 90 minutes circling what felt like our whole island, and the door knocks started at 4.30pm and didn't let up till after 8pm. It was big. Those treat bags will be lasting us until next year.

Last year fairy-girl was willing to go to houses she knew, but too shy to speak. This year she repeated "Trick-or-treat! Thankyou!" for every single treat - so grown up :)

Posted by: Jo MacD at November 2, 2009 10:57 PM