November 24, 2009

Point, And Shoot

miashots1sm.jpg

My daughter is fascinated with photography. She has a camera - an old, beat-up Sony digital point-and-shoot that I seem to have permanently loaned to her a year or so ago under the so-far-proven assumption that it's indestructible. She doesn't use it constantly but when she gets on a photo kick, it lasts for hours and she'll take pictures of absolutely everything. Now, she has a hard time with the mechanics of the little camera. She can't decide if she should look through the view-finder or at the screen. The power and shutter buttons are often confused. And her finger invariably ends up in front of the lens in half the pictures. But when she puts all of the pieces together, she takes a pretty decent photo. Or at least an interesting photo.

miashots2sm.jpg

I love her pictures. I love pulling them off of the camera and looking at them. They're her photos but most importantly they're a reminder of how she sees the world. I can't really remember being four but her pictures are a nice reminder to me of how huge the world must seem.

What were you most fascinated with when you were a kid? And did that have any bearing on what you would become?

Posted by Chris at November 24, 2009 7:31 AM
Comments

I guess they did yes. I loved my dolls and my easy bake oven. I really wanted to be a mommy and home-maker and well, guess what?
I love Mia's pictures. I also love digital cameras! How wonderful it is to be able to see into Mia's minds eye!

Posted by: Maribeth at November 24, 2009 8:27 AM

Definitely animals - all sorts, just not snakes. I wanted to be a vet until I grew up and worked for one and decided it was pretty boring (unless I could have been a zoo vet, I'd *still* do that if I didn't have to go to school for a bazillion years). We have many pets, to my husband's chagrin, and I'm sure there are more to come as Elliot seems to have inherited my love of all creatures great and small!

Posted by: Elizabeth at November 24, 2009 8:30 AM

I was obsessed with the Earth. My parents have pictures of me digging in the ground as early as age 2. I had an unbelievable rock collection. I still do, actually. Fossils, geodes, all kinds of interesting things (to me anyway) dot my collection.
Striations in dirt or rock fascinated me. Show me a cave and I am a happy gal. LOL. I go to Fossil and Rock shows when they come to town and even belong to a fossil club where we go on digs!

Science and Geology were ALWAYS my favorite and best subjects. I SHOULD have become a geologist, but instead I married one. :o)

Posted by: Jen at November 24, 2009 8:48 AM

I used to like the usual things kids like: dinosaurs, make-believe, astronauts, singing, drawing. I'm a lawyer. I'll just let you draw your own conclusions.

Posted by: alektra at November 24, 2009 9:04 AM

I had this nightgown that if you twisted and formed it just right, and tied the sleeves at the back, turned into a fabulous princess ballgown.

I also (well, my parents) had a bale elevator that when it was parked and laying down, was a logical Starship Enterprise. I was always the captain.

And a Meccano set. Lego was for lazy chumps.

Posted by: harmzie at November 24, 2009 9:24 AM

Wow - for some reason this post really got to me. What a beautiful vantage point she has.

Posted by: Cass at November 24, 2009 9:25 AM

sheesh! Also: Awesome pictures! I've got a cameraful of them myself. What a great idea for a post!

Posted by: harmzie at November 24, 2009 9:26 AM

Lovely! And I always wanted to go outside and make "stew." Which of course was leaves and berries and mud and rocks. And my love for cooking has never ceased.

Posted by: k8 at November 24, 2009 9:46 AM

too cute! my MIL got lola one of those kids digital cameras for christmas, and i can't wait to see what she comes up with :)

Posted by: kati at November 24, 2009 11:24 AM

Those photos are adorable.

Matthew's parents have a set limit for each of their grandkids that usually gets spent on some good stuff...and some crap. We told them that this year they should just buy one present for each of our kids - a point and shoot. I'm looking forward to seeing what they capture.

(It was the kids idea - I'll sometimes let them use my Powershot.)

Posted by: Angella at November 24, 2009 11:26 AM

I agree those pictures are awesome. Would have loved for that type of instant gratification when I was kid. It stunk always waiting a few weeks to have your photos "processed".

Posted by: DCUrbanDad at November 24, 2009 3:57 PM

I love the one of the back of Owen's neck. And OMG she looks so much like Beth in that one of her by the window. Very neat.

Posted by: Karla at November 24, 2009 5:01 PM

Posted by: Karla at November 24, 2009 5:02 PM

I love her photos. My daughter does the same thing (she's 8), but she is OBSESSED with zooming in. So when I scroll through her photos, I'm like, "ACK! Zit! Dark circles! WTF is THAT?!" Delete, delete, delete! I was obsessed with Matchbox cars when I was little. And now, well, I DRIVE a car. So...you know.

Posted by: js at November 24, 2009 5:38 PM

Gotta love that digital photography makes this possible :) Also, very cool to see things from her point of view.

Posted by: Heather at November 24, 2009 6:25 PM

OH man, I love Nick's photos. The first few "rolls" -- not sure what to call it when it's digital. But they were all pictures of feet and shoes. I guess he spends a lot of time looking down.

Posted by: Nat at November 24, 2009 7:17 PM

Mia's photos need to be *used* for something. I mean, I know they're on your blog, but they would make amazing album art. Do people still need album art? I'm still into it, even though I hardly see it anymore.

When I was a kid I was into all the same things I am now: photography (still have the shots from my first roll of film), space, history, mythology, and making stuff out of yarn. If I can mix a couple of those together, so much the better.

Posted by: Kat at November 24, 2009 10:08 PM