November 3, 2009

Zoinks!

Over the weekend, Owen put his first more-than-three-word sentence together. Don't get me wrong - Owen is a talkative kid. He started astounding us a few months ago with things like:

Owen juice car cup please.
Translation: I want juice in a cup with cars on it please.

Open bar please.
Translation: Please open this granola bar.

Mia chair.
Translation: I want to sit in Mia's chair.

Out, shoes. Shoes! Shoes!
Translation: I want to go outside so get my shoes. Dammit man, get me my fucking shoes.

So we were all anxiously awaiting his first full, easily discernible sentence complete with all appropriate parts of speech in the correct places. And we got it this weekend. But did we get a long-winded soliloquy on the wonder that is a graham cracker or the joy that is being squeezed by his big sister until it looks as though his head may pop off? Were we regaled with an explanation of why dogs - or cats or sheep or cows or, oddly, asparagus - are awesome? No. Not quite. We got this:

Scooby Dooby Doo, where are you?

It's quite possible that Owen has watched just a bit too much Scooby Doo lately. What's worse is the fact that Beth hates Scooby Doo with a passion that burns with the heat of a thousand suns.

Ruh-roh.

Posted by Chris at November 3, 2009 6:40 AM
Comments

Ruh-Roh is right!!! Maybe you can find a new addiction? Something that won't drive Mommy bonkers?

Posted by: Holly Reynolds at November 3, 2009 6:46 AM

Hah aand she still let him go as Scooby for Halloween? I'm impressed with her forbearance ;)

Posted by: Heather at November 3, 2009 7:32 AM

the best part about scooby doo? the tunes. love the tunes, it makes saturday morning cartoons a little more bearable.

Posted by: meanie at November 3, 2009 7:40 AM

Just watched Owen reading over at Beth's. He was reading Hop on Pop. I think this is Beth's attempts to thwart Scooby Doo!

Posted by: Maribeth at November 3, 2009 7:45 AM

Thoughts from Beth's head:
"Darned meddling kid!"

Posted by: Roses at November 3, 2009 8:45 AM

Ruh-roh is right! Just mention Sponge Bob around my kids and you will hear: Mommy hates Sponge Bob, so we don't watch it. I totally sympathize with Beth!

Posted by: Elizabeth at November 3, 2009 8:51 AM

I am sorry for Beth...but that is an awesome first sentence! and probably quite original as far as first sentences go.

Posted by: Diane at November 3, 2009 8:57 AM

That's ADORABLE! Dresden is a few months behind Owen and he hasn't really formed any words yet outside of "nom?" when he points at food...or beverages. His mom said once in a while "baba" comes out for sippy cup but not in front of other people. LOL.

However, he's doing a lot of baby talk now that sounds interestingly like Mandarin. I would look at him and talk right back to him as if I understand and he'd keep right on going. I have no idea what kind of wisdom and secrets to the universe he'd told me so far.

Posted by: oakley at November 3, 2009 9:04 AM

Hee! That's terrible for Beth, but ... hee.

Posted by: Fraulein N at November 3, 2009 9:50 AM

I have to say that's not the first place I'd go if I heard "Open Bar Please". Even from a kid. You are a much better parent than I.

Posted by: harmzie at November 3, 2009 10:02 AM

I think we both know what he was really asking for with 'Open bar please'. The boy needs a drink. Straight! No chaser!

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at November 3, 2009 11:08 AM

Our 3 yo has just started a huge Scooby phase. Luckily, both mom and dad loved Scooby as kids. However, just when I learned all the words to the original Scooby song, he's discovered the cheap knockoff, "What's New Scooby Doo" and I just can't belt out that tune as easily as the groovy 70's one. So far, my son remains blissfully ignorant of Scrappy Doo and Scooby Dumb. Let's hope he and Owen stay that way.

Posted by: rebecca at November 3, 2009 11:32 AM

I love Scooby Doo! I think that is a great first sentence. Beth may just have to learn to tolerate Scooby Doo...after all, a kid wants what a kid wants.

Posted by: Krush at November 3, 2009 12:15 PM

I love it! And I don't think you'll have trouble remembering his first full sentence (I can't even remember my kids first words so it's a good thing you're putting everything in writing).

Posted by: Carolyn at November 3, 2009 12:50 PM

I tried to limit television at one point and switched to videos for variety. The non-stop Barney shows did me in when Harley was little, so I feel for Beth w/Scooby Doo.

Does Owen like Thomas the Tank Engine, Theodore Tugboat (PBS) or Dr. Seuss? I enjoyed these shows and could watch these over and over on video without going nutty.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at November 3, 2009 2:11 PM

Be thankful it's not Barney!

Posted by: coolchick at November 3, 2009 9:03 PM

All I can think of is Murphy Brown and "Mandy"...

Posted by: alektra at November 3, 2009 9:34 PM