November 19, 2009

The Great Moral Quandary

I have a Great Moral Quandary. No, I'm not trying to figure out my feelings on the gay marriage debate in DC or working out my stance on the execution of the DC sniper last week. I'm not spinning my mental wheels trying to arrive at a perfect way to balance trade between the US and China nor am I attempting to decide whether or not to read Sarah Palin's new book (though the bit I caught which included the sentence "members of the national press continued to hang out in Alaska sniffing for tabloid stuff" led me to believe it's a masterfully written piece of prose on par with the works of Fitzgerald and Hemingway). No. I'm trying to decide where I come down on the whole peeing-in-the-shower debate.

I'm a guy. I'll pretty much pee on anything. God gave me the ability to pee standing up and I'll be damned if I'm not going to use it. I'll pee out a campfire. And maybe even take aim at the small woodland creatures who have gathered around it to stay warm. I will pee out California wildfires from helicopters flying overhead. Snow is a blank canvas. Visiting heads of state are prime targets. That's just the ways guys think. That's how we roll.

Until several years ago, I peed in the shower all willy-nilly. I mean, there was porcelain and a drain. How much more explicit an invitation did I need? But then I started thinking you know, self, you're not the only one who uses the shower and your hot wife might not think this is so, um, hot. So I stopped. Cold turkey. It was tough. Occasionally, I'd feel a small tug, the Little General aimed just right, the drain saying pssst, come on...you know you want to. But I resisted. And now I'm wondering why.

Where do you come down on the whole shower pee argument?

Posted by Chris at November 19, 2009 6:43 AM
Comments

How very un-guy of you to think of your wife's feelings about something she *should* have never known about. What has happened to you? What other guy things are spilling your guts over?

I would not be surprised if your membership card gets revoked.

PS
1. No peeing in other people's showers.
2. No people when accompanied in the shower.
3. Peeing ONLY.
4. What happens in the shower, stays in the shower.

Posted by: Jon (was) in Michigan at November 19, 2009 7:00 AM

I say pee on! As long as the shower is cleaned regularly and there is plenty of water washing the pee down the drain then I don't really see the problem. I think it is best to do this deed at the begining of a shower to ensure that plenty of soap, shampoo and the like are also washed over the surface that has been peed upon. I really don't see the problem.

Posted by: Ashley K at November 19, 2009 7:29 AM

1. As long as nobody else has to see it.
2. As long as plenty of hot water is used afterwards.

Plus... it saves you having to remember to put the toilet seat back down! ;)

Posted by: Hannah at November 19, 2009 7:32 AM

Pee away! I do it, and I know at least one of the boyfriends does it. As long as no one else is in the shower, you know what? PEE ON! There's plenty of water that washes it down, and it all goes the same place. I don't always pee before I shower, because I don't have to, and then when that warm water hits, I just can't help it!!

Posted by: Secha at November 19, 2009 7:47 AM

I say pee away...think of all the water you save by combining the shower and peeing, you don't have to flush!

Posted by: Dee at November 19, 2009 8:07 AM

Don't ask. Don't tell.

Posted by: Marshall Karp at November 19, 2009 8:11 AM

I think the only rule that should apply is no peeing in the shower when you have company!

Posted by: Elizabeth at November 19, 2009 8:20 AM

Dude, this is a quandry? It's environmentally irrisponsible NOT to. Why do you hate the earth?

I.P. Freely

Posted by: harmzie at November 19, 2009 8:23 AM

Well, last week our shower had seen a bit too much hair down the drain and a bit of Drain-O was necessary. When I was done, I came out and announced to my husband that we could pee in the shower once again. We're both pro.

Posted by: Michele at November 19, 2009 8:28 AM

I didn't used to, but now if the timing is right, I will. I do aim for the drain though. I'm not going to be shampooing my head while pee is flying everywhere.

Posted by: Brad at November 19, 2009 9:21 AM

I keep thinking of the Seinfeld show and I want to say no, but....since I am the shower cleaner and I do it daily, I would say, go for it.

Posted by: Maribeth at November 19, 2009 9:34 AM

i'm all for it. it wastes less water than peeing before the shower. and pee is sterile so what would hot wife have to complain about? man or woman, does not matter-- i say pee in the shower!

Posted by: bri at November 19, 2009 9:35 AM

I don't usually post, but I had to say, peeing in the shower sure does making initial potty training easier - ours takes a shower with his dad in the morning, and its helping him recognize his ability to control himself, with much less mess.

Posted by: Joanie at November 19, 2009 9:38 AM

Pee away! Why not...it's a drain and hot water and soap are being used. And, a definite environmental/$$ wasting plus to not waste a flush. Of course only if you are alone, only near the drain and at the beginning of the shower to give time for the soap and water to wash it away.
Do you have any idea what Beth's opinion is?

Posted by: Diane at November 19, 2009 9:42 AM

As you were.

Posted by: Karen at November 19, 2009 9:45 AM

I say go for it. Boy, girl, doesn't matter.

Posted by: Kris at November 19, 2009 10:01 AM

I am surprised how many shower-peers there are! So far, not a single comment against it. And this one isn't either.

Maribeth referenced that Seinfeld episode, which is funny because that was the first time I ever even thought of it as a possibility and I've done it since. I guess the point of the episode sort of backfired on me.

Posted by: at November 19, 2009 10:13 AM

Posted by: stephanie at November 19, 2009 10:14 AM

omg - totally pee in the shower. a) there's nothing that feels better, and b) your wife probably pees in the shower too! there's water and soap in the same vicinity...it's BUILT to be sanitarily peed in!

Posted by: unreuly at November 19, 2009 10:42 AM

The only reason I have ever been anti pee int he shower was when I had small kids who still took baths in my tub, and I didn't want to scrub the bathtub everyday. Now that they shower, I assume they are peeing in there as well. What's you're uberhot wife's opinion?

Posted by: Stephanie at November 19, 2009 10:50 AM

Someone already beat me to don't ask, don't tell.

Posted by: Ann Adams at November 19, 2009 11:01 AM

i'd go so far as to say anyone who claims to not ever pee in the shower is a liar :)

Posted by: kati at November 19, 2009 12:03 PM

Really? All you people are pro peeing in the shower? Gads, what is this world coming to? I am so anti-peeing in the shower. I had no idea my husband did this until a couple of years ago. My son gets out of the shower to pee. (good boy)

If you are the one scrubbing the shower--then that's your business but when other people have to clean the shower--then knock it off.

Posted by: debb at November 19, 2009 12:18 PM

This is something I've actually thought about ever since I was asked to defend my answer of "it depends" in front of a class in college. Here are my general guidelines:
Never in someone else's shower
Never in a shower/tub or a poorly draining shower
Never with anyone else in attendance
Only if I really desperately have to

I pretty much never do it, though, because I don't really want to smell it. I always imagine all the little pee-particles drifting up into my nose. Blech. I have to be pretty desperate.

Posted by: heels at November 19, 2009 12:30 PM

Oh my damn, this is a thing? That people do? NO PEEING IN THE SHOWER. EVER. If I found out this was going on where I lived, HEADS WOULD ROLL.

Posted by: Fraulein N at November 19, 2009 12:30 PM

I'm just amused at Marshall Karp. (And yay, Marshall Karp!!)
I don't, because my tub is old and strange and drains slowly (despite lots of Drano) and so I sure as heck don't want to be standing in it.

Posted by: Heather at November 19, 2009 12:35 PM

There's a reason I don't take a bath upstairs where the boys pee in the shower. I've done it once, and only when I was so super sick, Gay Boyfriend thought I was dying of the plague and scrubbed that tub within an inch of it's life so I could take a bath with vicks.

Posted by: k8 at November 19, 2009 12:56 PM

I'm a shower pee-er. I can't help it. The hot waters hits me and I lose all control. Besides, urine is supposedly sterile.

Posted by: April at November 19, 2009 1:28 PM

I am a fan of peeing in the shower, but surprisingly enough, my wife is the one that turned me onto it.

Posted by: Rex at November 19, 2009 1:49 PM

Man, when I lived alone? I was ALL ABOUT it. Now that I live with someone else that uses the same shower? I've stopped. I miss the carefree peeing in the shower days (as well as the carefree peeing with the bathroom door open days). Alas.

Posted by: Dawn at November 19, 2009 2:42 PM

Pee in the toilet Dude! Beth and your kids may want to take a bath in the tub. Would you want to bathe in your toilet?

Posted by: Rose Winters at November 19, 2009 2:54 PM

While I don't pee in the shower, I'm quite positive my husband does. He also brushes his teeth and blows his nose in the shower, which understandably bugs me more.

Posted by: margo at November 19, 2009 3:00 PM

My husband and I got on this topic once. I did, he didn't. I brought him over to the dark side :)

Pee is sterile, barring infection. As long as it all gets rinsed down the drain (no peeing on the walls, yo) I'm fine with it.

That being said, I prefer that *you* don't come pee in *my* shower. We have not yet reached that level in our relationship.

Posted by: Becky at November 19, 2009 3:25 PM

Husband and I both pee in the shower regularly. Urine is quite clean. It's really not a big deal. I agree with a commenter above: Why do you hate the Earth?! Save water. Pee down the drain.

Posted by: Sabrina at November 19, 2009 3:28 PM

I haven't read your other comments and I am sure I have said this before somewhere, but of course I am pro shower-peeing. Where else can women pee standing up??

Posted by: Loth at November 19, 2009 3:41 PM

I am girl, I pee in the shower, my boyfriend knows it and doesn't think it makes me any less hot. He pees in the shower too and we both run the water since it's a shower and the point is to wash... right?
When else am I going to pee standing??

PS: I also brush my teeth in the shower.

Posted by: Alejandra at November 19, 2009 4:33 PM

Once upon a time, Bear Grylls taught me how to condense drinking water from my own urine should I ever be stuck in the desert. Okay, he didn't teach me directly, but if he can do it on TV it's true, right?

Slightly off-topic there, but if you can drink it in the Sahara, you can dispose of it in your own shower to be washed away by soap and hot water.

Posted by: Megan at November 19, 2009 5:57 PM

Piss away. The only reason I might, might, not piss in the shower is if I happen to be showering with either my wife or one of my kids. And even then I'll probably turn away and piss anyway.

Like the shower nature blow, these things are not wrong.

Posted by: Erik at November 19, 2009 8:03 PM

I pee in the shower. I can admit it. Does that mean I'm a woman with balls? Nope! Also....for those that say not to pee in the shower because someone may bathe in the tub later...I don't bathe in the same water my ass sits in. ewww...now that's just gross. Your sloshing around in butt juice and think you're getting clean or that a bit of residual pee is going to get in the way of a butt juice soak? hahahahaha yah right. Pee away! And stand up and rinse off after every bath...cause if not you're not clean!

Posted by: Kristy at November 19, 2009 8:10 PM

Have you ever asked Beth if SHE pees in the shower?

As long as it all goes down the drain, and you pee BEFORE you wash yourself, I can't think of a better, more sanitary place to pee than in the shower. I mean, if you think about how clean you get from "wiping" and then washing your hands vs. how clean you get when you're scrubbing your body head to foot with soap and running water?...

Posted by: Amy at November 19, 2009 9:55 PM

I live with 2 boys, one little and one not so little. I would rather they pee in the shower, the target is bigger, the pee will be instantly washed away and no mess for anyone. A much better option than boy folk getting distracted whilst peeing and missing the toilet entirely!

Posted by: del at November 20, 2009 1:43 AM

You have to share Beth's opinon. Hell No I don't pee in the shower and I hope my husband doesn't either. I can't believe how many of you do this. Remind me not to shower at your house. Gee I shower at the gym, wonder if your doing it there too? Think goodness I wear shoes in the shower at the gym, Oh no now do i have to wear shoes in the shower at home too? I do brush my teeth in the shower. Old college thing, too many girls and not enough sinks just quicker.

Posted by: Tailynn at November 20, 2009 1:40 PM

Posted by: Tailynn at November 20, 2009 1:40 PM

Posted by: Tailynn at November 20, 2009 1:40 PM

Posted by: Tailynn at November 20, 2009 1:40 PM

Posted by: Tailynn at November 20, 2009 1:40 PM

I am physically incapable of walking into a shower and not peeing. Even if I *just* went, i have to pee before I can do anything else. I'm the rat, and the shower is my bell.

I'm sure my husband is doing much, MUCH worse in there, anyway. :)

Posted by: Mr Lady at November 20, 2009 8:01 PM

I have trouble peeing in a lake because I generally require porcelain under my ass...

Posted by: rougeneck at November 20, 2009 10:35 PM

you know after 17 years with the Man perhaps I need to ask if he pees in the shower.

We have a shower/bath thing. And well, logically I know that it's sterile and all that... but ... man.. icky for those of us who like a good soak IN WATER.

Posted by: Nat at November 21, 2009 12:54 AM

I only started peeing in the shower about a month ago. It all started because my guy roommate was pissing me off and he's a germaphobe. All of my guy friends laughed at me when I told them my evil master plan. They all concurred he probably already pees in the shower and it's no big deal. It took me a bunch of tries to be able to do it though, cuz OMG kinda gross.

Posted by: Lizzle at November 21, 2009 2:35 PM

I go with don't ask, don't tell. What you don't know won't hurt ya!

And to all those talking about scrubbing the tub, really? I mean, urine is sterile... it's not going to kill anyone. In fact, I've heard of doctors off the record I'm sure, advising men who have athlete's foot to pee in the shower because pee is supposedly a great cure for athlete's foot.

I do agree with what several others have said... ground rules please;

- Don't pee in someone else's shower
- Don't pee in hotel/gym showers (cause EW I don't know you!)
- Don't pee if anyone else is in the shower

Posted by: Rachel at November 21, 2009 3:57 PM

I totally pee in the shower, but only if I have to go and it has to be before the soaping! The pee goes down, the soap comes after and washes it away.
But no one shares my shower. I have the master bath with the stall (for the past 10 years all my apartments had stalls and I don't mind) & hubby uses the upstairs bath with the tub so big we could drown in it and my stall gets scrubbed before company comes to stay and he and I have to share ;-)

Posted by: Karen at November 23, 2009 1:48 AM

I pee in the shower with no shame.

Posted by: jessica fantastica at November 23, 2009 5:16 AM

Go forth and pee in the shower. Saves water, and you end up clean in the end anyways, so whatever. Just don't pee when you have company in there with you.

Posted by: Mel at January 11, 2010 1:52 PM

People in the world take the business loans from different creditors, just because this is easy and fast.

Posted by: Shelby28Nunez at March 30, 2010 10:47 AM