November 27, 2009

The Weeklies #110

The Weekly Food. I think I ate my bodyweight in Thanksgivingy things. Including Brussels sprouts. I love Brussels sprouts. To a degree which may be weird and unhealthy. Ooooh, and there was pie. Can't forget about pie.

The Weekly Craft. Last night before Thanksgiving dinner, we made Thankful Trees. Basically you write the things you're thankful for on little leaves and paste them on cardboard trees. It was all Mia's idea. And it was awesome. Everyone made one then we shared out trees with each other. Here were the things I was thankful for: My family (specifically named were Owen, Mia, Beth, my in-laws, nieces, and my parents), my hot wife, the love of a good woman, my job, various cheeses, Chipotle, refrigeration, beer, indoor plumbing, and electricity. Hey, it was what I could come up with at the time.

The Weekly Read. 7th Son: Descent didn't suck. That was something of a surprise since the blurb sounded just like something that would suck badly. But I was curious and I got the book for free so I gave it a shot. Sure, it was a very near-future sci-fi action adventure about clones and world domination but it was smartly written, well-plotted and very compelling. By the end, I was pretty disappointed that it was the first of a trilogy without much resolution.

The Weekly Music. The entire Beatles songbook. Or thereabouts. I was working from home on Tuesday and Beth and the kids had music going. The Beatles. Now, I know lots of you mentioned last week that you just didn't get them and I have to admit that I've never seen the genius. Until now. Hearing some of those songs again - and watching my kids dance to them - made me really appreciate them more.

The Weekly Movie. The last time I saw Mary Poppins, I was maybe 7. I watched it not long ago with Mia. It may well be one of the best, nicest, happiest movies ever made. And how did Dick Van Dyke not win an Oscar for it?

The Weekly Schadenfreude. The Secret Service. Did you see that the Secret Service allowed a couple to slip through their obviously tight perimeter and crash a state dinner at the White House? Someone's going to be home for the holidays...as in, fired.

The Weekly Not-So-Hypothetical. So, it's Black Friday. Are you going shopping?

Posted by Chris at November 27, 2009 7:30 AM
Comments

Happy Turkey Weekend. I usually am reading the weeklies from my hand held and find commenting to be very cumbersome. But today? Today you are in luck!

Shopping? Hell no. Unless it is online. Retail experiences feed my anxiety.

I had to think about your question regarding a band that others love but you just never got. Then I heard him. Bruce Springsteen. Ugh. Pass.

I love Mia's idea of sharing gratitude. She is an amazing little girl and you have much to be proud of.

Have you ready any Elliot Perlman? Specifically Seven Types of Ambiguity? I am loving it.

Happy Friday!!

Posted by: Coral at November 27, 2009 8:29 AM

We had pizza for Thanksgiving. The turkey will happen tomorrow when the rest of the family can make it up. Mia is so thoughtful, you should be (and I know you are) so proud. The Secret Service....I don't even know what to say. I was floored when I read that article. And also, who has the balls to just show up at the White House for a state dinner they weren't invited to? It's not like stopping by your neighbors place and inviting yourself in. I would LOVE to know how exactly this happened, but I'm sure details will be locked up tightly.

I just told a friend that you'd have to tell me that my life was on the line to get me to even think about shopping on Black Friday. Even then...I may just choose death.

Posted by: js at November 27, 2009 9:21 AM

Belated Thanksgiving cheer. Ours will be tomorrow so I'm a little behind but it's the only time both sons and their families can get here. Today, I start cooking.

I love the idea of the tree. Mia is growing up so fast.

Shopping on Black Friday? Never!!

Posted by: Ann Adams at November 27, 2009 9:39 AM

Brussels sprouts are AWESOME!!!! So is pie.

Posted by: rougeneck at November 27, 2009 10:00 AM

You know I get all my good read ideas from you. Thanks.

Black Friday? Heck no man! I happen to be sane. I also happen to be DONE with all of my shopping. Yippee!!

Posted by: Theresa at November 27, 2009 10:22 AM

i'll do anything to avoid black friday shopping and most holiday in-store shopping in general. unless it's a nice little local shop. any big stores, i do my shopping online. i managed enough black fridays during my 5 years in retail to last a lifetime!

but who am i kidding, i am stuck on the couch until monday anyway! :)

Posted by: kati at November 27, 2009 10:59 AM

I am not going out! Here I sit in my pajamas and a fleece jacket, with my laptop on my knees, and a dog cuddled next to me. In my opinion, it doesn't get any better than this!

Posted by: Maribeth at November 27, 2009 11:06 AM

Mary Poppins, I know, it's amazing. My two and half year old, myself and the hubs watch it A LOT. Most specifically the carousel scene, and the Chimney Sweep dance/sing number. Everybody step in time! I love it. It makes me happy.
Unlike shopping when the multitudes are out. So no, no black friday shopping for me. But I live in Canada so it's not so huge. However I do think the Americans have it right in doing the big sale shop day BEFORE Christmas. Our Boxing day is crap, we spend all this moolah on gifts for Christmas and then see them marked down 50% the day after we give em!

Posted by: amy at November 27, 2009 11:27 AM

Posted by: amy at November 27, 2009 11:27 AM

Shopping? No. I'm at work. There are a total of 4 cars in the parking lot. Ugh.

Posted by: Judy at November 27, 2009 11:51 AM

Shopping on black Friday??? I'd rather have a root canal, thank you!

Posted by: LaineyDid at November 27, 2009 12:19 PM

You couldn't pay me to shop today. Seriously.

I can't tell you how greatly I'm annoyed by these people who crashed the dinner at the White House. Basically, they are liars who feel they should be able to do as they wish and go where they are not invited. The worst part is, our culture and media are going to reward their selfishness. The Washington Post has already had them on the front page two days in a row. I'm curious to see just how they got in; fake invitation, hissy fit, sneaking in with the caterers? No doubt people will be loosing their jobs. But I feel kind of bad for them.

Posted by: Annie at November 27, 2009 1:11 PM

Quite Thanksgiving. Had to threaten Harley with no dessert or his movie to get him to eat a small plate of food. He loves the turkey, but thinks everything else is just awful. Shopping, no. Never understood the desire for people to loose sleep and fight the masses for sales. Being lazy and thinking about a nap. Enjoy the extra time at home with the family.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at November 27, 2009 2:14 PM

I did shop today, but only because it was my lunch break. I had to be at work at 4AM for all of the people who wanted the greatest-deals-ever!
The crazy thing was that the things on sale at 4AM were still pretty much there and on sale at 10:30, just not as many to choose from...CRAZY!!!

Posted by: Becki at November 27, 2009 6:44 PM

I took my 17 yr old son shopping. Gave him $60 for his birthday. He bought 2 pairs of jeans, 2 tshirts, 1 sweater, and some fruit of the looms. Pretty good deals he found.

I got a cup of coffee..browsed jewelry and read some of my book. And snagged a pair of nice jeans for the husband for 10 bucks at American Eagle.

I also didn't leave the house til 5 p.m.

Posted by: Kristy at November 28, 2009 1:17 AM

I also didn't leave the house til 5 p.m.

Posted by: Kristy at November 28, 2009 1:18 AM

I hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving. The thankful trees sound like a good family tradition - really getting to the meaning for the holiday.

Posted by: Trisha at November 28, 2009 9:26 AM

The thankful trees sound a lot like prayer trees (or wish trees if you're more comfy with that term). You make all these little strips of cloth in different patterns and colours -- chop up worn-out clothes or raid a bargain bin at a fabric store -- and put some bare tree branches in a pot or big vase. Then everyone takes a turn making a wish as they tie a piece of cloth to a tree branch. I forget where the tradition comes from, but I've seen them twice at art galleries -- both times they left pieces of cloth out for patrons to tie their own wishes on. The trees look great once enough pieces of cloth accumulate, and somehow it feels good to do and contribute to.

Posted by: Kat at November 28, 2009 12:27 PM

Your thankful trees sound really cool :)
We did go shopping.
It's tradition for me.
We got on line at 2:30AM and got Michael's daughter Rock Band for the Xbox. That's her big gift, DONE!

Posted by: Rose Winters at November 28, 2009 7:08 PM

I love the tree idea :)
we didn't do the "what I'm thankful for" thing this year...I missed it.

Posted by: Heather at November 28, 2009 8:33 PM

My 11 year old is obsessed with the Beatles. It's so fun to watch them grow their own appreciation for music.

Posted by: Nila at December 1, 2009 4:00 AM