November 10, 2009

Tiny Dancer

Did you ever see the old Friends episode when Phoebe went running with Rachel and Rachel was mortified because Phoebe ran like an out of control spaz? Her explanation, when pressed by Rachel was pretty awesome. Something to the effect that if you can't run like a crazy five year old, why run at all? Mia taught me a similar lesson yesterday. After a few tries, I finally got the chance to go to Mia's ballet class. And it was awesome.

DSC_5227%20copy%20sm.jpg

These little girls, full of energy, danced with wild abandon. They ran through their positions, plied and curtseyed, danced together, danced separately, stared at themselves incessantly in the mirror and, when given the signal, danced like little tutu-wearing maniacs hell-bent on ballet-fueled world domination. It was truly something to watch. The teacher wasn't uptight, didn't demand perfection or even that everyone stick to the positions. Instead, she encouraged the girls to just have fun. She provided structure with the full realization that these are four year old girls and structure is a pipe dream.

DSC_5235%20copy_sm.jpg
Kids, at that age, don't care who's watching. They're idea of self-consciousness is limited to am I wearing pants? and sometimes not even that. Their transactions with the world, with life, are all about them, rightly so.
DSC_5239%20copy_sm.jpg
We should all be so lucky. We should all care as little about what others think as they do. We should all laugh when people laugh at us. We should all dance with wild abandon.

What have you done with wild abandon lately?

Posted by Chris at November 10, 2009 6:41 AM
Comments

At my age, there's only one thing I do with wild abandon. My tax return.

Posted by: Marshall at November 10, 2009 6:53 AM

I think thats one of the reasons I love live music so much...you can be that wild crazy 5 year old and no one cares, cause everyone else is being wild and crazy too! You can dance and sing as loud and as good or bad as you want...its a great way to let off steam..

Posted by: Lisa at November 10, 2009 7:55 AM

I'm always (or at least frequently) kooky with my kids. They think it is pretty cool and funny right now so I take advantage of that. All too soon, they'll think I'm a dork. :)

Posted by: Elizabeth at November 10, 2009 8:18 AM

For one, I love that episode of Friends! Secondly, I was showing my son how to skip and once he kind of got it, I definitely skipped my heart out. It was awesome.

Posted by: Claire at November 10, 2009 8:27 AM

What's the phrase "Work like you don't need themoney and Dance like no one is watching."

Or maybe it is "Dance like you don't need the money." which puts a wholenew spin on it...you know what I mean.

Posted by: William at November 10, 2009 8:45 AM

Those pictures of Mia are fantastic. My daughter has taken dance (ballet, tap) and gymnastics since she was 3, and watching the kids dance like that, with wild abandon, is amazing. You can't help but smile and be put in a better mood. It makes me so sad when you get those random stage moms that tell their kids they are doing it wrong.

What have I done lately? Love with wild abandon. It's the only way I know how, and the only way (in my opinion) it should be done.

Posted by: js at November 10, 2009 8:55 AM

That's an EASY question to answer. I love with wild abandon... daily. It's a choice.

Mia is such a beautiful little lady! Those shots at class were GREAT!

Posted by: NotAMeanGirl at November 10, 2009 9:09 AM

Those are beautiful pictures of Mia, but that little girl rolling back looking at her toes is all kinds of awesome. Of course if I were her mom, I'd be all "what the HELL??? FOCUS!!" So, yeah, I need to ease up a little.

Last night I vacuumed with wild abandon. Send help.

Posted by: harmzie at November 10, 2009 9:48 AM

Those are amazing pictures. I love getting to get a glimpse into their little worlds. Wish I had more time for days like that.

I recently started a run clinic, and as the fat girl that's been the fat girl since about third grade, that has been the hardest thing in the world to let go of, that feeling that everybody is watching you. So even if it looks like painful flailing along the trail, on the inside I'm running with wild abandon. : ) And just last night the best runner in the group said, as she was passing me of course, you're doing great! So that was a great lesson. Not everybody is looking and judging.

That's a beautiful world you're giving to your kids. : )

Posted by: Sara at November 10, 2009 10:19 AM

What a nice post! Loved that episode of Friends. Phoebe was awesome. I can't really think of anything I have done lately with wild abandon, guess I'll have to get on that.

Posted by: Tracy H at November 10, 2009 10:37 AM

I play a mean plastic guitar with wild abandon. Beyond that? Not nearly enough.

Posted by: Candy at November 10, 2009 10:38 AM

I don't think I've ever done anything with wild abandon.

I know, right?

Posted by: Alias Mother at November 10, 2009 10:54 AM

great pics. proof once again you're on the right track...

one of my best friends lives in fairfax and her husband works for the smithsonian and their five-year-old daughter is taking ballet. you are always so (understandably) vague about where you guys live, etc, that sometimes i wonder if you guys are neighbors or something, or if your girls go to the same ballet school.

Posted by: kati at November 10, 2009 11:19 AM

Go Mia! May you never lose the ability to dance with everything you've got! This morning, I danced like nooone was watching during Jazzercise. It was fun. So tell me Chris, have you walked the dinosaur lately? No? What are you waiting for?

Posted by: Christy at November 10, 2009 11:41 AM

If I forget about my mom's lovely comment one time of "oh THAT'S attractive" then sometimes I laugh really, really loud and fully.

Posted by: Heather at November 10, 2009 1:44 PM

What a great reminder to live life to it's fullest - thanks!

Posted by: laineyDid at November 10, 2009 2:12 PM

I danced in the living room, holding my 5 week old son in one arm and twirling around my 3 year old son with the other.

Wildly.

Pure heaven.

Posted by: Robyn at November 10, 2009 2:50 PM

"What have you done with wild abandon lately?"

I drove to work. 75% of the time I work from home so I don't do the crazy morning commute. So when I have to, it's with wild and reckless abandon. I hope my boss sees me so we can make me working from home 100%

Posted by: Tania at November 10, 2009 5:35 PM

In this house, pants were optional... for a really really long time.

(I love watching kids dance. My god she's cute.)

Posted by: Nat at November 10, 2009 6:36 PM

Oh, I am very uptight, I'll admit it. But when my toddler and I play, it gets pretty silly pretty fast.

Posted by: Laura at November 10, 2009 7:43 PM

Oh too, too precious!

Posted by: Maribeth at November 10, 2009 8:44 PM

I just want my life to be as pretty as your pictures...

Posted by: alektra at November 11, 2009 12:07 AM

Lovely pictures.

I played tag with my daughters in our front yard yesterday - running, screaming, acting like a fool - and not caring in the least who happened to drive by and see me.

Posted by: Kimberly at November 11, 2009 12:59 PM

This is so cute! LOL-"structure is a pipe dream." When I was 5 and 6 I took ballet/tap/jazz lessons, and we did the obligatory end-of-year recital. I remember practicing the steps for this. I remember rehearsing it. I remember that there was a routine, and, yet, when I saw a tape of it years later, I was shocked to see that not one person was doing the same thing at the same time.

Also, when I started reading, I thought you were going to talk about Phoebe's version of Tiny Dancer, (a.k.a. that song that Elton John wrote for Tony Danza)-"Hold me closer Tony Da-a-anza!"

Posted by: Dreamybee at November 12, 2009 7:28 PM