November 23, 2009

Wiiiiiiii!

My wife bought a Wii. My wife who is normally anti-video game and claims to be totally uncoordinated when it comes to anything of the sort. Bought a Wii.

Let's take a step back.

On Friday night, she went to a Wii party. She had fun. And as parting gifts the attendees were each given Wii Fits - you know, the board thingy that you stand on and do stuff like cross country ski and skateboarding. Not having a Wii, the Wii Fit was somewhat useless. So on Saturday she walked through the back door, having returned from running errands, with a Wii. While I was putting Owen to bed, she hooked it up. We played the damn thing the rest of the night.

Who is this lady and what has she done with my wife? Admittedly, they have the same great ass and this one likes video games so I'm only prepared to argue so much.

The rest of the weekend was very good but very busy. I worked a bit on both Saturday and Sunday. Damn Slightly Major Work Thing. We visited my parents and played a full forest-encompassing hybrid of hide and seek and tag. On Sunday, Beth and I got slightly dressed up, headed to Monkeytown, had a nice dinner and saw Jersey Boys (I was skeptical going in but it was awesome). And as you can expect, there was a lot of Wii. And you know, it kinda rocks. And hurts. I did the hula hoop thing one too many times and my ass is killing me. Mia and I played a nearly endless series of bowling matches together which was a hell of a lot of fun (and Mia is actually great) and I bit it ski jumping quite a lot (the agony of defeat).

So what did you do with your weekends? And are you video game people?

Posted by Chris at November 23, 2009 7:07 AM
Comments

Yes, we are video game people. I just got the Wii Fit Plus and I LOVE it. LOVE it. REALLY love it. Did I mention I love it??

My weekend was nice. I went to a get together with some of the other wives to raise a toast to our deployed husbands. Or perhaps it was just to get drunk & silly & forget about said husbands for an evening. Either way, it was tons of fun.

I spent Sunday relaxing. I watched EverWood & downloaded Glee on iTunes.

Made an appointment for my dog for some advanced training.

Yep, all in all, it was pretty quiet and I have no complaints!

Posted by: Holly Reynolds at November 23, 2009 8:00 AM

I went to the same party as your wife and have convinced my parents to buy us a wii for hanukkah. And we say Jersey Boys last weekend. It was fabulous.

So basically we have the same life.

Posted by: jodifur at November 23, 2009 8:06 AM

Love, love video games! We got a Wii for Christmas last year and we all like it a bunch. My kids especially like to watch me make an ass of myself doing various activities on the Wii Fit! I like games like Spore, while hubby likes to blow things up. The kids like to play too but they are pretty limited in what mean old Mommy will let them play right now :)

Posted by: Elizabeth at November 23, 2009 8:39 AM

Congrats on the Wii; we're a gamer family, and while I can't get enough of Halo, Wii is the right choice with youngins in the house.

While games are always a matter of personal preference, I do have to give a recommendation to Boom Blox. Sounds really dumb, amazingly fun and addictive. And you may want to give a short term gamefly membership a try; you may find it a cheaper way to try out a bunch of games instead of renting, which can get expensive and annoying.

Weekend was good; knock on wood the family has purged the flu and we're back to being humans instead of walking virus bombs. Ohio has treated us to few nice days before the inevitable winter blast that awaits us *somewhere* ahead!

Posted by: metawizard at November 23, 2009 8:41 AM

We're also gamers, and the Wii allows us to game as a family - Hello, have you seen our Guitar Hero World Tour band named "Headlice"? - as you can guess, it was created at a certain time when my kids couldn't go out of the house because of the little critters... :-)

We also have Wii Fit and love looking at our little characters, and also make our graphs point downwards is an added bonus. ;-)

Congrats on your purchase! If you ever get into the online aspect of gaming with the Wii, I'll send you my console code. :-)

Posted by: LeSombre at November 23, 2009 8:50 AM

Never been a video person and don't have them in the home because Hubby is an addict. He will literally stay up all night with them.
The weekend saw me saying good-bye to the last puppy and cleaning out the puppy room. Life is quiet and simple once again. (Or as simple as it gets with 4 dogs of your own!)

Posted by: Maribeth at November 23, 2009 9:05 AM

I love my Wii! It's fun. And so is the Wii Fit. Have you done the dance thing yet? You'll get that song stuck in your head. I guarantee it. And if you're like me, you'll find yourself doing the steps along with the music playing in your head. And then people will stare at you.

I spent my weekend cleaning because a friend of ours flew in yesterday for Thanksgiving. I'm sore from cleaning, which is a clear indication that my house is usually way too messy. I also had my first Japanese steakhouse experience Saturday night, with utensil juggling and flames at the table and amazing food. It was a good weekend, all in all.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at November 23, 2009 9:55 AM

We have the Wii fit, and I was really into it at first, then I got bored. You've inspired me to get it back out -- maybe it'll be exciting again.

Posted by: Julie at November 23, 2009 9:58 AM

We got money from my in-laws to buy a Wii for our family. My husband spent it on a car he was fixing. So, while I'd LIKE to be a Wii family, we aren't. ... Yet...

Posted by: Kim at November 23, 2009 10:01 AM

That's funny. I just bought my wife a Wii two weeks ago for her birthday. We've been longtime hold-outs but it was time. It's a ton of fun. We need some games though. We've worn Wii sports out already.

Oh, and how do I get invited to a party with $100 parting gifts?

Posted by: Brad at November 23, 2009 10:03 AM

Ah yes the Wii. One of the best material additions to our family a year and a half ago. The wife and I got it just as the older kids were headed to Grandpa's farm in MD for 2 weeks. We played it A LOT for those two weeks.

My favorite games so far are Mario Kart and Wii Sports Resort.

I also love the fact that our 6 year old and 4 year old can play it. Heck even the little man wants to, but I fear that he will put a remote through my TV.

Posted by: Rex at November 23, 2009 10:17 AM

I was never a video game person until I too went to a party that featured the Wii. We played Guitar Hero all night and I was HOOKED. My ex-boyfriend and I stood in line at 7am at Toys R Us to snag a console... lucky for me that I am the one who paid for it, as it came with me upon break up :)

Posted by: Kate at November 23, 2009 10:28 AM

Ever since I beat up on my nephews in Wii Tennis, I've been dying to get one for our family, but man, was my shoulder sore from wailing away at the ball. My wife was laughing at me b/c I looked like I was actually playing tennis out on the court, but then I beat her in straight sets and she got real quiet. Maybe we'll snag one at a good price on Black Friday, who knows?

Posted by: jesse at November 23, 2009 10:35 AM

I think I need to get the Wii.

Posted by: William at November 23, 2009 11:05 AM

Wait a second, who bought the PS2? Who has spent hundreds of hours playing video games with you? You must be confusing me with your girlfriend again.

Posted by: Mrs. Cactus at November 23, 2009 11:21 AM

Super Mario for the Wii is sooo fun! And all 4 of us can play at once! Very, very fun! And WiiSki is awesome!

Posted by: steff at November 23, 2009 11:22 AM

We got a Wii two years ago and the Wii Fit pack last year. I tried the balance board for snowboarding and it just makes my back hurt. I suspect it's because I can't get my feet as far across as I would on a real snowboard, but maybe I just suck at Wii Snowboard.

We are not video game people, we are Wii people. I like that the kids have to get off their asses and do stuff to play it. The kids all have Nintendo handhelds, but they were given to them by their Other Parents (we're a blended family) and the DS units aren't allowed in our home. Irony: my Mom just retired from Electronic Arts.

Posted by: Brooke at November 23, 2009 11:54 AM

another one down... i can't let my husband hear about this. if we were to get anything, it would be a wii, but i just can not bring myself to bring another major time-suck into the home. not. yet. anyway...

Posted by: kati at November 23, 2009 11:57 AM

I'm not a video game person.

But do I love me some Wii!!! I don't think it counts- you're moving and stuff. We just got Wii Resort and my two cents is that you NEED IT.

Posted by: chatty cricket at November 23, 2009 11:58 AM

We LOVE our Wii!! And I agree, you need Wii Sports Resort!

Posted by: margo at November 23, 2009 12:22 PM

I loved Jersey Boys!

Also, I love my Wii. And my Xbox 360. And my Nintendo DS. So yeah. We're video game people over here.

The Wii Fit is super fun though. My favorite is the juggling. Super hard.

Posted by: caleal at November 23, 2009 12:23 PM

I cleaned my apartment. Exciting stuff.

I do no have a Wii, but my friend does, and I spent the first few days of last week nursing a case of Wii Tennis elbow. Be warned.

Posted by: Judy at November 23, 2009 12:52 PM

If I were to cave in and get a system, it would probably be a Wii. It's just so fun! :)

Posted by: Heather at November 23, 2009 12:55 PM

What the hell kind of parties are you going to? Around here, we have to buy our own goods and services. On the plus side, at my parties, I only have to provide some paté and a cracker and maybe a shit-load of wine. Maybe that's why attendance is low?

Posted by: harmzie at November 23, 2009 1:01 PM

We got the Wii for Christmas last year and it started a Wii war in our family - haha. Not just our family in our house but with my brother and his family. We started an excel spreadsheet and competed for top spot in Wii games and Wii Fit games. Totally fun ... and totally competitive. We haven't been playing as much lately ... but we were just saying last night that we need to get back into it again because it's a fun family thing to do :D.

Posted by: kristy - wheres my damn answer at November 23, 2009 1:28 PM

Busy weekend here.
I went to a wine and food party on Friday night. They had 7 tapas courses each paired with a different wine. I met some really cool people.
Saturday we went down to my hometown and met my Mom at our old church's annual Christmas bazaar. We won a raffle prize of a basket of goodies for our dog :) After we went to Mom's - got dressed up and went to my ex-boyfriend's 60th birthday party. The food was incredible and we met some great people there as well. Sunday we spent the day vegging out until I went to see New Moon at 10:30. It was okay. I didn't expect much so I wasn't disappointed. It was my least favorite of the 4 book series.
We are video game people. We have an old school Nintendo and will play Super Mario Brothers for a day straight! We also have an X-Box 360 that we play Scene It on. Michael enjoys Guitar Hero (though it hurts my wrist) I also have a Nintendo DS.

Posted by: Rose Winters at November 23, 2009 1:31 PM

As far as video games are concerned, I could take them or leave them. HOWEVER, I LOVE my Wii. My 18 yr old son and I bowled one night (my first time playing) and I couldn't move my arm the next day. Hubby pulled a hamstring his first time out bowling.

I love that our little girls can do the games with very little assistance.

Posted by: zanie at November 23, 2009 3:48 PM

Yes - we are a family of game nerds. I spent a lot of my youth playing Super Mario on the old NES. I stopped playing for several years, save for the Dance Dance Revolution craze (for several months I couldn't stand up without my feet doing the steps). During my first pregnancy, my husband introduced me to Final Fantasy 10. Now we can't stop. CAN'T.

We have a PS3 (that's been getting a lot of use since they re-released FF7) and we bought a Wii early this year. Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy and Mario 64 = busy busy weekend. We also have this little thing called the Dingoo (new-ish, portable gaming system made in China) to play ROMS on the go.

And hey Maribeth - what is wrong with staying up all night leveling up my FF characters? Yes, video games are a time suck. But if playing video games are wrong, I don't want to be right.

Posted by: Rengirl at November 23, 2009 4:18 PM

Definitely video game people! Saturday I was on a retreat in Indianapolis, so that doesn't count... but Sunday, the boy (more into games than I) stayed at home and played games all day long. literally. The Wii is pretty fun. We've had ours for a few years. There's a lot of good games. Some that both you and the kids might like are Rayman Raving Rabids, Boom Blox, Endless Ocean, and of course the sports ones. Enjoy!

Posted by: Laura at November 23, 2009 6:21 PM

I heart our Wii. With all of the hearts in the world.

My parents gave it to the boys 2 years ago for Christmas. We have yet to grow bored with it - and still play it together as a family weekly.

Get anything Raging Rabbids. Especially when you can find them in the clearance bins for $10. They are hysterical, silly, easy to play and they have the most annoying music and "language" that will stick in your head and create more inside jokes in your family than you could have ever imagine.

And - AND - my brother and his family lives in Indiana - once a month we log on at the same time and have popcorn, beer and challenge one another's family to a game of bowling. We can see their "miis" and we have them on speaker phone during the play - it's the closest thing we can afford to getting together - and it's a blast.

GO WII!

Posted by: Mindy at November 23, 2009 6:36 PM

I never was one for video games until I met the Wii. I think it's the game that turns non-gamers into gamers. Or something.

Posted by: Librarian Girl at November 23, 2009 8:42 PM

Wii've had our Wii for almost a year now. It's great for the kids and I rock the bowling but we maybe use it 2 hours a week max. I do like that it's physical, and now that they have Super Mario Brothers for Wii, I may become an addict because I like the old-school games.

Posted by: bri at November 23, 2009 9:09 PM

Our son has the Gamecube and the Wii. He is a nut, wants anything Mario related and wants a career in programming games. Hubby and I rarely play. What is the hula game on? I can bowl well, but I also bite on the ski jump thing.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at November 23, 2009 10:11 PM

My pals got one this week, and I played last night. Mind you, I'm not a video game person either. AND I've got two bad shoulders. I could have used some help getting dressed this morning! But when I saw one today for $179, I almost bought it. The darn thing is FUN!

Posted by: coolchick at November 23, 2009 10:39 PM

I heart Jersey Boys.

I worked on my own version of slightly big work thing (but I got to do a really cool once in a lifetime type thing too as a part of this, so I'm okay with working through the weekend). Looking forward to a 4-day weekend this weekend.

Posted by: Melissa at November 24, 2009 12:09 AM

Mario Cart. I can drive a car, but I cannot drive on Mario Cart. My kids can, but not me. Sucks.

Posted by: Theresa at November 24, 2009 6:25 AM

I picked up a friend in MD, then we drove up to PA to walk in the Philly Half Marathon.

I love video games but don't often have someone to play with so I tend to forget about them. :D Right now my PS2 is still in storage. :-( sigh.

Posted by: Patricia at November 24, 2009 11:34 AM

I have NEVER been a video game person--I always told my children they were the devil's spawn. Fast forward 20 years or so and my husband buys me a Wii for my birthday because I wanted the Wii Fit, and as you so aptly pointed out, you can't use the Wii Fit unless you also have a Wii. I like the Wii Fit (though I really suck at Hula Hoop) but I wish my husband would use it with me--it would make it more fun. I now have the Wii Active and a friend and I work out together--it's great fun and we spend a lot of time yelling at the trainer--plus we burn a lot of calories--bonus! It's amazing how good my sons are at these games given they didn't have a gaming console of their own to play (Devil's Spawn, remember?)!

Posted by: Liz at November 24, 2009 10:40 PM

Posted by: Liz at November 24, 2009 10:41 PM

Well, I can't remember back far enough to tell about last weekend -- I think it was nice enough to put out the Christmas lights and bring in the outdoor furniture... But I do know that this family does video games. Well, mostly my husband, but I've been known to play a little here or there.

I think he owns damn near every system out there. We have a Sega Genesis somewhere, along with the original PlayStation, a Playstation 2, and original XBOX. In constant use are the XBOX 360 and PlayStation 3. We also have (and love) the Wii (and Wii Fit). I believe there are even a few PSPs floating around the house.

It's an off day if there hasn't been a video game played by my husband at some point during the day. Some days, I forget that the TV was actually made to view programs broadcast on television stations.

Glad to hear that you guys like the Wii -- it seriously IS one of the better systems out there.

Posted by: ironic1 at November 27, 2009 3:09 PM

We got Boom Blox for the wii and my husband played it so much that after two days he thought he needed Tommy John surgery.

Posted by: lumpyheadsmom at December 4, 2009 10:37 AM