December 28, 2009

Just Say No (But Cain't)

Have you every heard the song Cain't Say No from the musical Oklahoma? Knowledge - even limited knowledge - of these lyrics is integral to today's post. Please take a moment to review.

It ain't so much a question of not knowin' hut to do
I knowed what's right an' wrong since I've been teen.
I heared a lot of stories an' I reckon they're true
About how girls are put upon by men.
I know I mustn't fall into the pit
But when I'm with a feller
I fergit!
I'm just a girl who cain't say 'no'
I'm in a terrible fix!
I always say 'Come on, let's go' just when I aughta say 'Nix.'
When a person tries to kiss a girl
I know she aughta give his face a smack!
But as soon as someone kisses me
I somehow sorta want to kiss him back!
I'm just a fool when lights are low
I cain't be prissy an' quaint
I ain't the type that can faint
How can I be what I ain't?
I cain't say 'no!'

Whatcha gonna do when a feller gets flirty
An' starts to talk purty
Whatcha gonna do?
S'pposin' that he says
That your lips are like cherrys,
Or roses, or berries
Whatcha gonna do?
S'pposin' that he says
That yer sweeter than cream
and he's gotta have cream or die?
Whatcha gonna do when he talks that way?
Spit in his eye?
I'm jist a girl who cain't say no,
Cain't seem to say it at all
I hate to disserpoint a beau
When he is payin' a call!
Fer a while I ack refined and cool,
A settin on the velveteen setee
Nen I think of thet ol' golden rule
And do fer him what he would do fer me!
I cain't resist a Romeo
In a sombrero and chaps
Soon as I sit on their laps
Somethin' inside of me snaps
I cain't say no!

Now, you all know Mia's fondness for musicals, most recently Oklahoma itself. And that song, in its wonderfully inappropriate entirety was what Mia chose to sing to nearly everyone to whom I'm related mere moments after Christmas dinner.
as dinner.

Beth and I? Parents of the year.

After Mia's performance, I promptly rear-ended my brother-in-law's wife's father's (I have no idea what that makes us) Lexus. Suffice it to say that Christmas was interesting this year. I'll provide more detail later. I'm taking the week off work to recover. And quite possibly drink.

How were your holidays?

Posted by Chris at December 28, 2009 7:00 AM
Comments

Glad you survived Christmas! Bad deal on rear-ending that Lexus -- booo! And please tell us you have video of Mia singing Oklahoma! How cool is that? By the way, I'm off this week too! Yay for vacations!

Posted by: coolchick at December 28, 2009 8:10 AM

My mother in law backed into my van, but my dog ate her shoe, so we called it even. :) Enjoy your time off!

Austin

Posted by: metawizard at December 28, 2009 8:25 AM

We just watched that movie, and my 3-year-old daughter was obsessed with that song, too.

#unintendedconsequences.

Posted by: Julie at December 28, 2009 9:18 AM

My Christmas was fifty/fifty suck and awesome. I'm gonna get a head start on my New Year's resolution and not whine about it, though. I think Mia's performance sounds precious. And it'll probably go down in family history and be a story that can be retold and loved. Not like some obnoxious brat singing every round of the Twelve Days of Christmas while the adoring parents look on, oblivious to the pain around them, right? As for the Lexus . . . yeah . . . sorry man.

Posted by: Sara at December 28, 2009 10:03 AM

They Call the Wind Mariaaaaahhhhhhh! From Paint Your Wagon. Yeah. That was mine when I was her age. You've gotta get her that one!

Posted by: k8 at December 28, 2009 10:10 AM

That is awesome. SOOO awesome she sang that. I agree, I need video of this :)

Christmas was GREAT this year. And not over quite yet :)

Though, I do have to work...

Posted by: Arwen at December 28, 2009 10:18 AM

Are you sure you weren't already drinking? Seriously, though, that does suck. Not gonna lie, though, I'm laughing at Mia's performance -- just the IDEA of it -- but only because I wasn't there.

Posted by: Fraulein N at December 28, 2009 10:42 AM

Little kids just like singing. I sang "Maneater" not knowing what it was when I was around her age. And probably other inappropriate songs. Sides, the worst she does is kiss a boy?

Dude. You are SET.

Posted by: alektra at December 28, 2009 10:44 AM

My grandson, whom I haven't seen since he was 13, found us online. He's living in Sacramento - not all that far from us.

He and his wife drove down yesterday. I couldn't have asked for a better Christmas present.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at December 28, 2009 11:06 AM

Ooof that's got to be awkward

(re the haiku -- I am leaning toward the kids might be more challenging but more rewarding.)

Posted by: Nat at December 28, 2009 12:06 PM

My 4 year old's favorite song is Jesus Walks. I'll trade you any day of the week.

But not the Lexus bit. You can keep that.

Posted by: Mr Lady at December 28, 2009 12:24 PM

My Christmas was quiet but lovely, and Mia's song reminds me of when my best friend (mother of the decade I tell ya) let her 8 year old son watch Reefer Madness and he walked around for days singing "Jimmy Takes a Hit".

Posted by: Judy at December 28, 2009 12:31 PM

omg, this makes my day. :)

Posted by: kati at December 28, 2009 3:12 PM

Retina detached, turkey burnt, and dinner cold, anddealing with the fact that I may not see well again. No, Christmas was not good this year/

Posted by: Maribeth at December 28, 2009 4:02 PM

Could have been better, could have been worse, but overall, pretty good!! And that song is too funny.

Posted by: Heather at December 28, 2009 10:41 PM

When I was a little girl I used to burst into song at inopportune moments (like on the crosstown bus). For a while my favorite was "Look At Me I'm Sandra Dee" from Grease only I didn't know what "virginity" was so I sang the line as "lousy with Virginia Tea." So yeah - clearly something about precocious little girls and inappropriate musical selections.

Posted by: rougeneck at December 29, 2009 7:11 AM

My family party involved three drunken (well, two because I cut my husband off 3hours previously from the booze) grown men getting somewhat belligerent when their wives had the nerve to say they were drunk. That was after one "not drunk" husband grabbed my husband to give him a hug and hit him in the nose - and WOW! look at all that blood! My husband claims it was broken but he has no pain tolerance.
Yeah - good times! I think the prohibitionists had the right idea!
Love the thought of Mia singing that song. Please, please video tape it and let us see.

Posted by: NancyJ at December 29, 2009 9:07 AM

Wow! That sounds like such an exciting day!

Posted by: debb at December 29, 2009 11:17 AM

My kids sing Cole Porter's It's Too Darn Hot. They have no idea what it's about (yet).
Musicals are awesome! Go Mia!!!

Posted by: Geeks in Rome at December 29, 2009 3:46 PM

I think that sounds absolutely adorable. Mia, not the car. Sorry to have missed that.

As for the car... er... good luck with that :(

Posted by: Amy at December 29, 2009 5:37 PM