December 21, 2009

Let It Snow (But This Is Ridiculous)

Like the song says, the weather outside this weekend was frightful but I found our lack of a fireplace (and, in turn, a fire so delightful) somewhat disappointing. This is what my backyard looks under two feet of snow. Seriously. Two feet. Who knew?

DSC_5564copysm.jpg

On Friday night the snow started as predicted. And it continued all day Saturday into Saturday night finally stopping in the wee hours of Sunday morning. When all was said and done, we were left with a two foot blanket of snow covering everything. Its really tough to mentally picture what two feet of snow looks like until you set your two foot tall child down in said snow and the only way you can tell where he is is due to the hole and the spiky blond hair sticking up out of it. It never snows this much in one shot around here.

We all bundled up several times, headed outside, and rolled around in it. Unfortunately it was a dry snow, not very good for making snowballs or snowmen but that didn't really slow us down. And when we were through, we headed inside to the warmth of the house and comforted ourselves with hot chocolate, cheesy Christmas specials, pizza and plenty of Wii.

Of course, there was plenty of shoveling. Three passes at the driveway and sidewalks to be exact. As a result, I'm pretty sure I need traction. Or, at the least, a half dozen Advil and a massage from my hot wife. Okay, screw the Advil, I'll just take the hot wife massage.

The snowbound weekend was nice. I could have done without the shoveling but I'll take the quality time with my family any day.

What were you guys up to this weekend? Any winter weather where you are?

Posted by Chris at December 21, 2009 6:25 AM
Comments

I was thinking about you guys this weekend and hoping all were okay.

We have cold and wet. Yosemite has snow but it seldom drifts down to the valley floor.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at December 21, 2009 6:35 AM

I am glad you guys are all right and that you enjoyed the snow. We got significant rain, but thank God I don't have to shovel that. This is the first winter in 30 some years that I haven't had to shovel. A big Amen from the back row on that one!

Posted by: Christy at December 21, 2009 6:55 AM

Sunny and 70 here! Avatar 3D - excellent movie!

Posted by: Debbie at December 21, 2009 7:14 AM

Two feet of snow is a lot even in places where it snows.

Stay warm and dry. :)

Posted by: Nat at December 21, 2009 7:37 AM

I am so jealous! In Pittsburgh, we ended up with about 4", which isn't too shabby, but from the moment I heard them utter ~nor'easter~ I hoped for what you got. I love me a good nor'easter!

Posted by: Sabrina at December 21, 2009 8:33 AM

I sent the snow to you. Our roads are just now getting dry.

Posted by: Emily at December 21, 2009 8:40 AM

I'm jealous. Here in Michigan we have maybe two inches where I live. The crazy ass snow usually doesn't come around until after the holidays. All I want for Christmas is a shit ton of snow!

Posted by: js at December 21, 2009 8:44 AM

Posted by: js at December 21, 2009 8:45 AM

We spent the weekend doing lots of festive baking and keeping warm. it's snowing here in Edinburgh and whilst it's nowhere near as deep as you have it, I have never known it snow before christmas south of the Highlands here in the UK.

Posted by: Katherine at December 21, 2009 9:11 AM

I was thinking about you guys this weekend and hoping you were staying put. We get snow all the time (though 2 feet at once would be a lot) and sort of have the infrastructure to deal with it. Are you able to get to work today? If not, happy snow day!

Posted by: Heather at December 21, 2009 9:24 AM

I'm about 45 minutes north of Philly and we got about 6-8". The whole thing was sort of lame...I kept seeing weather reports saying that the snow was going to come at 1AM Saturday morning...What a disappointment waking up to NO SNOW. But luckly it came later, around 1PM and it was glorious :D

Posted by: Michelle at December 21, 2009 9:26 AM

I measured 14 inches in my yard here in Fredericksburg. I did two passes of my 1000 sq foot driveway on Saturday. Not the whole driveway - just enough that we could get the truck out if we needed to. Yesterday morning I went out to shovel and my neighbor had a snowblower that he bought Friday night. He suggested I put the shovel down and wait my turn for the snowblower.

I took his advice.

Of course, the streets are plowed so it's not like we are going anywhere soon anyway.

Posted by: COD at December 21, 2009 9:41 AM

I thought of ALL my DC blogger friends this weekend. This is wonderfully Christmassy! And it's PERFECT! Shoveling aside, isn't it just the greatest to play in the snow with your kids?!

Posted by: k8 at December 21, 2009 9:53 AM

We have 2 feet here in Philly as well, and a snow day today which kinda screwed up my plans for a little more last minute shopping, but I think the kids will survive on the mountain of toys in the garage waiting to be wrapped!

Posted by: margo at December 21, 2009 10:06 AM

Need. more. snow. pics. Stat!

We just got cold rain & wind. No snow on the southeast coast of NC, unfortunately.

Posted by: coolchick at December 21, 2009 10:29 AM

Here in Vancouver, it's rain. And more rain. So much rain that if it doesn't stop soon, I'm expecting the animals to start lining up in twos, in search of an ark.

Snow would be okay, maybe. But then it would shut the city down. Plus I don't have to shovel rain.

You can keep the snow. :)

Posted by: Scatteredmom at December 21, 2009 10:34 AM

Dude, I live in Qu├ębec, Canada. You know what we call 24" of snow? A warmer than average St-Jean Baptiste. ;-P

Posted by: LeSombre at December 21, 2009 10:48 AM

Wow! I saw the 18" update but 24" OMG Snow Heaven. Wish you would've taken a picture of Owen's head. What a memory for you two.

It was nice weather in Vegas. 66 degrees.

We spent all weekend cleaning, still need to decorate. (I am always late)

Also, took the daughter to see Princess and the Frog. I have mixed feelings about that.

Happy Monday

Posted by: debb at December 21, 2009 11:00 AM

Up in my area of Jersey, we woke up Saturday morning with a dusting and Sunday morning with 11 inches of snow. Not too shabby! We had big pancake breakfasts both mornings, shoveled loads of snow off our driveway and sidewalk, went down our nearby sledding hill about 120,568 times, drank enough hot cocoa to turn us all into chocolate figurines, and didn't get into a car to go anywhere all weekend. It was glorious. I wish it snowed like this more often. It makes wonderful memories.

Posted by: ktrz at December 21, 2009 11:48 AM

If by "winter weather" you mean "sunny in the high 60s and too warm for a sweater" then, yeah, we had winter weather here in SoCal. ;-) This is about as wintry as it gets, unless it rains. Sometimes we get frost on the lawn or icy windshields. Not often. On the plus side, our kids will all get to tear out of the house Christmas morning with their new scooters and ride them, so there's that.

This weekend we prepped for Christmas. I wrapped and ordered and thanked God for Amazon Prime and did laundry and put a big-boy bed in my 20-month-old's room. I didn't send Christmas cards, dammit, so I guess that's what I'll be doing tonight. :-)

Posted by: Brooke at December 21, 2009 12:18 PM

Dude, that picture rocks. Congrats on your white Christmas and good luck to all who might need to travel in it.

We're basking in family activity right now and loving every second of it. This is a great age for our kids and a great time of year.

Merry Christmas.

Posted by: Brad at December 21, 2009 2:26 PM

I live right on the Gulf of Mexico, and watched the water swell and crash into the beach. It was SO windy and stormy I was actually a little scared to drive. There was a wind tunnel that developed right outside the front door, I had to brace myself and pull with great might just to open the door. The sky was really dark blue and beautiful though. :)

Posted by: Tess at December 21, 2009 2:34 PM

And to all my friends in Florida and down south who wish for snow: feel free to come up here and clean it all up! What a mess it makes! We only got about 4 inches. Not a huge deal.

We did some last minute Christmas shopping on Saturday which was also my birthday. Michael asked what I wanted to do for my birthday. My response? "Let's go to PetSmart and get Isabella's picture taken with Santa." So that's what we did. Then we took her outdoor shopping to a strip mall near the house and then to the main mall. She was such a good little girl :) Sunday I spent wrapping and stacking Christmas Gifts under the tree. Check out the pictures on Facebook :)

Posted by: Rose Winters at December 21, 2009 3:18 PM

We got our first halfway decent snow this weekend, but it wasn't nearly as impressive as yours! That said, as I look out the window now I think it's actually snowing again hehe.

Posted by: Heather at December 21, 2009 4:04 PM

My husband is stoked about the snowfall. After nearly three years here, this is the first real accumulation we've had and we only got half of what you guys got. Had we lived a little further south, we would have seen more.

Posted by: statia at December 21, 2009 5:04 PM

Here in Nova Scotia we received about 6-8 inches...nothing really, that being said, glad I didn't have to go anywhere yesterday, finished my wrapping and cleaning while hubby enjoyed a lazy day of the lazy boy and football, he sure has the life, wonder where I can get one like that....lol

Posted by: Roberta at December 21, 2009 5:16 PM

Here in the Denver area, no snow. Calling for 5-8 inches on Wednesday. Quite weekend. Some shopping and movies at home.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at December 21, 2009 7:32 PM

I was in L.A. It was a chilly 75 degrees!

Oh, and I got a new macbook pro.... Yum...

Posted by: alektra at December 21, 2009 9:19 PM

What were we up to? Unpacking, getting sick, exhausting ourselves. Who moves this close to Christmas? Nobody smart.

Posted by: Laura at December 21, 2009 10:58 PM

Up here in RI we got 20" - It is really hard to shovel when two kids and two dogs are "helping"

Posted by: Micky at December 21, 2009 11:00 PM