December 14, 2009

Random Things From The Weekend

So, what was up this weekend? Allow me to share in small bite-sized nuggets. The only way I could write or even read early on a Monday morning.

Christmastime Is Here
It's officially Christmas, for us, at least. Our tree is up, Christmas music is playing and I've DVRed a bunch of my favorite cheesy animated holiday specials. Of course, Owen has developed a passion for undecorating the tree. Which is fun. And not at all annoying. Gifts are all acquired, though not all of them are wrapped (as with the undecorating, we believe premature unwrapping might be something of an issue). You know what? I absolutely love this time of year.

Birthday, Redux
As you may recall, last week's birthday festivities were overcome by snow. Meaning, we didn't get out. This weekend we fixed all that. On Saturday night, my folks came over and hung out with the kids while Beth and I went out or a nice dinner and a movie. Both were excellent. We managed to find an Indian place that might be nearly as good as our favorite place which was literally torn down to build a parking lot about four years ago. The movie was also pretty good. I'd never have voluntarily gone to see Invictus (rugby and Nelson Mandela - two things I don't have any vast interest in) but I left the planning up to Beth and she made a damn good choice.

Neil LaBute Can Kiss My Dramatic Ass
I think I've had it with Neil LaBute. He's supposedly some hot-shit playright and director who is critically acclaimed and dramatically well thought of. I read a book of his a couple years back and thought it was a waste of paper. Beth and I rented and watched The Shape Of Things this weekend. It was a waste of film. And time. It was so terrible, it made the always-awesome Paul Rudd appear sucky.

De-Kidding Of Cactus Manor
I feel like I spent a good portion of the weekend un-kidding my house. Since Owen can handle the stairs, I took down the gate at the bottom. It's been a while since there hasn't been a gate there. It's a little strange. And then Owen and I disassembled his crib. That's right. He's digging a brand new big-boy bed. (Well, not quite brand new - Beth scored it for $25 on Craigslist.) Regardless, my kids are growing up. And it's kinda freaking me out.

So, what were your weekends all about? Are you done with your holiday shopping?

Posted by Chris at December 14, 2009 6:36 AM
Comments

I love that you and Beth regularly make time for yourselves. It's something that my husband and I struggle with a LOT. Let us know sometime how you do that. I'm guessing priorities?? ;)
LOL your comment about Paul Rudd made me think of one of my favorite lines from a show I watched last week. Re: organized religion, "It's like Paul Rudd. I see the appeal and I wouldn't deny him to anyone. I just wouldn't stand in line for him." hee.
Also Neil LaBute = misogynistic a-hole

Posted by: tulip at December 14, 2009 7:53 AM

spent most of it in a beautiful, peaceful nyquil induced coma because i am the only twenty-something i've ever heard of who still gets ear infections.

and today is my daughter's second birthday so i feel you on the whole "kids growing up and it freaks me out" thing.

Posted by: bri at December 14, 2009 10:05 AM

Yay for the big boy bed and no gate! That's very cool! This weekend? I started out with a haircut. In April I cut off 12.5" to donate to Locks of Love. I followed up Friday night with an official "short" haircut. I'm loving it. Then the rest of the weekend was spent wrapping the Christmas loot and baking cookies. I'm almost done wrapping, save for those few items that have not come in yet. Once those are wrapped, then I can relax!

Posted by: coolchick at December 14, 2009 11:25 AM

I took Friday off and drove to Vegas. I was meeting an online friend of four years for the first time, and that was a blast. The rest of the weekend was spent with my daughter's best friend and her Mom, who is an awesome person, but we are so unalike that it is like nails on a blackboard for me to hang out with her. My car's starter has been iffy and my fervent hope for the whole weekend was that it would start enough times to get me home and thank the Maker, it did. I have never been so glad to be home with a houseful of kids and my husband. I did meet Donny and Marie, though, so that was cool.

Posted by: Brooke at December 14, 2009 12:05 PM

Yes - Christmas shopping is done. The tree is up, the presents are wrapped (all that I have, that is... I'm still waiting for Amazon to deliver a few.) I'm actually on the ball this year and it feels great not to be stressed out and panic shopping!

Posted by: Kim at December 14, 2009 12:33 PM

My weekend was mostly about sleep, since I gave myself the weekend off from all the studying I'd been doing. Have to get back at it today!
Also, I sold a few of my CDs which was fun! ;) I could afford to go out for lunch! Yay! haha.

Posted by: Heather at December 14, 2009 2:13 PM

Wow, big-boy-bed! That's a big step. It's a really cool one too. Congrats.

I know I've said this before, but it's funny how you and I have a lot of similarities. Jen and I favor Indian food when we get to go out alone, we just took down the gate at the top of our stairs recently, etc etc. It's fun and a good example of how the world turns.

Posted by: Brad at December 14, 2009 2:14 PM

Oh I totally agree with you about that movie. HATED it.

Posted by: Jodi at December 14, 2009 5:59 PM

I LOVED taking the stair gate down - did you look at the stairs and go, "Holy shit! I don't remember the staircase being this wide!" Because that's what I did.

And "Invictus" is on my list. As is Matt Damon.

This weekend my daughters and I had our third annual cookie decorating party (seriously HUNDREDS of cookies), seven kids. FUN TIMES. Really. I love it and I've got a lot of cookies left (Yum).

Then yesterday, I took myself to a movie - I saw "Brothers" which was gutwrenching. Good - but as a military wife, it was a tough watch.

Posted by: Sarah at December 14, 2009 9:50 PM