December 30, 2009

You Say You Want A Resolution

I don't normally make resolutions. I don't like the fact that, around the 15th day of the year I realize that I've already failed at something. But this year is different because there are some things I really just need to do.

Resolution #1. Work is just work. I've got a lot of pressure on me since a) I take work and the job I do very seriously and b) I'm the sole wage-earner in the family. I take my job - and my own performance - very seriously to the point at which I feel like I'm probably getting fired on any given day. And that's no way to live. I'm smart, with great skills and a good professional network. Even if I get canned - which I won't - I could find another gig. The job is a job and shouldn't define me.

Resolution #2. My ass needs to get in shape. The rest of me too. I don't exercise. I've managed to keep my weight absolutely steady for the past, hell, 20 years. But that's not necessarily a sign of fitness. Skinny people die. So I need to get healthy.

Resolution #3. I will do my very best to not be an asshole. You might think I'm a funny, mild-mannered guy but that's because you don't live with me. In truth I'm a fairly emotional, intense kind of person. And I tend to turn all my brooding outward, externally. And I need to not do that because it makes me an asshole.

Resolution #4. Stop waiting for the perfect moment. I feel like I'm often waiting for a perfect moment. Like, during the time I'm taking off now, I feel like I'm waiting for some greeting-card moment, some perfect confluence of events. And while I'm waiting, I think I forget that this - the shit that's happening now - is life. Live it. Enjoy it. Don't wait for the good stuff. This is the good stuff.

Those are my resolutions. What are yours?

Posted by Chris at December 30, 2009 7:06 AM
Comments

Those are some good aspirations, Chris. As for myself, I want to lose 10 pounds and learn JavaScript. Oh, and do my very best not to be an asshole too. :P

Posted by: jesse at December 30, 2009 9:22 AM

Some of our goals for the upcoming year are very similar, actually. I think it's the stage of life we are at...where we are at that "holy shit when did we become adults??" moment and start realizing that we need to get it together and not let everyone that depends on us down.

Anyways... I haven't fleshed this out but:

1. Work to live, don't live to work. Perspective is key. I am an individual, a mother and a wife too.

2. Continue to foster your interests. This year I took a sewing class and a knitting class, and I blocked Wednesdays to do these or other activities when classes were not in session. I really believe that allowing myself the room to breathe and pursue creative outlets and just spend some time not being a mom or a wife has helped me to be better at those roles. I love my family.

3. More camping! The kids loved it, it made my husband happy and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

4. Get back in the gym. The last month and a half I lost my mojo a little. I need to get back to it. I feel physically better, my mood is better, and I control my diet better. I can veer off course with all the cheese and wine very easily.

5. Run 2 5k's this year.

6. Make more of an effort to connect with my family. Distance makes it hard. But I can still do my part more.

7. Continue to work on my marriage. Two alphas can make it hard, and external BS makes it even harder. But we know we make a good team, we love each other and our family. For two people as high strung and guarded as we are, we are finally reaching that comfort level together, and it's nice. I want to really foster that this year.

Ok...my resolutions thus far.

Have a very Happy New Year!

Posted by: varinia at December 30, 2009 9:32 AM

I'm going to run a few half-marathons and at least one full one this year. I'll also start climbing rocks again. I was getting sick of staying in shape and not using it for anything, so there you go.

Also, your fourth resolution has been on my list for nearly a decade now. I'm persistent in my best intentions, but often less able to turn them into reality in this case. I'm a little to comfortable in my skin at the moment to shake things up, which is kind of starting to piss me off and make me an asshole, which brings up to your third resolution. It's all tied together.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at December 30, 2009 9:35 AM

My resolution is the same as it's been for the past 2 New Years. I want to lose weight and get healthier. I haven't done TOO bad a job with it the last 2 years. I've lost 95 lbs. I have more to go but I have faith I'll get there when the time is right!

Posted by: NotAMeanGirl at December 30, 2009 9:40 AM

I'd suggest that for resolution #2 and #3 you sign yourself up to a yoga class, either power yoga or ashtange which are pretty intense and cardio. before you start laughing I must tell you that my boyfriend used to decline saying thank you very much he had no intentions to become metrosexual or something until he tried a free class, saw the teacher's big muscles and sweated his arse off.
I have never heard him say 'yoga' and 'metrosexual' in the same sentence again :)
And it has to be said, yoga makes you a better person too...

My resolution for 2010 is to pull my finger out and get the Canadian Residency asap before they kick me out of the country (I am French and don't want to go back to France!)

Posted by: Alejandra at December 30, 2009 9:46 AM

I keep saying I need to quit smoking. I should just stop saying it and actually do it.

Posted by: k8 at December 30, 2009 9:55 AM

My goal is to blog faithfully and release shit through writing. I had forgotten how freeing writing is. My head has some room to breathe now.

Posted by: debb at December 30, 2009 10:23 AM

Chris,

Good resolutions. My advice, focus on the exercise, and you will find that the others will fall into place. I won't go into all the research that proves how much exercise affects your mood; it just does.

For me, it was walking. But everyone has that one thing that is not a chore to do but gets you exercising; find it, and be passionate about it, and you'll be amazed how much your quality of life improves from just that act.

And for resolutions for next year, I'm not really sure yet. I think that planning more is the key for me; there are a million ways to do something wrong, and taking the Gatling gun fail quickly approach just isn't cutting it, so my resolution is to sit down and really obsessively plan out my year.

Happy New Year!

Austin

Posted by: metawizard at December 30, 2009 10:31 AM

Great resolutions...mine are:
1. Get back in shape and lose the weight my doctor's are telling me to lose (10 lbs, not too bad).
2. Start, and hopefully finish, my dissertation...it is time to become gainfully employed again.
3. FOCUS (on anything and everything)
4. Spend more quality time with my family and less time with Facebook.

Posted by: Krush at December 30, 2009 10:53 AM

Stop smoking - for the 3rd time.

Maybe.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at December 30, 2009 11:35 AM

your resolutions could be (and should be) my own, i have all those weaknesses myself. but i tend to not make new years resolutions, per se. i hereby resolve to try harder to stick with my technically non-resolution resolutions. there.

Posted by: kati at December 30, 2009 11:50 AM

To find a good job. It's not as easy as it sounds :)
Happy New Year to you guys!!

Posted by: Rose Winters at December 30, 2009 12:28 PM

You know I have to tell you. I am not an asshat. I try hard every day not to be an asshat, but then, I had this passenger going to San Juan, who was a total asshat and just happened to push my asshat button. I snapped at him in a rather unbecoming way, but what is a girl to do?

Posted by: Maribeth at December 30, 2009 12:59 PM

I could second #'s 2 and 3. Also, it would be nice if I could figure out what I want to do when I grow up and then, y'know, do it.

Posted by: Jess at December 30, 2009 1:55 PM

Posted by: Jess at December 30, 2009 1:55 PM

Make healthier choices, and graduate in May from my BA Psych.

Posted by: Heather at December 30, 2009 2:05 PM

Write an hour every day. Not counting my blog, that is. Writing for publication on printed paper.

Lose 15-20 pounds. I can't believe I've become one of those women who thinks life would be so much better if I lost a little weight. But there it is. I want it off. This means exercise every day, like I used to before the toddler came along.

Save more money. I have a figure in mind. I've been pretty good about money all my life, but kind of lost my handle on things with a recent move and the birth of aforementioned toddler. Time to reign in the spending.

Oh, and volunteer. Another thing I used to do, pre-baby. Seems like the theme for 2010 is get back to being the person I was before I became a Mom.

Posted by: Laura at December 30, 2009 2:39 PM

I resolve to make the best of everything. Not in a pollyanna kind of way but more like when something I perceive as "bad" happens, to think about what the lesson in this is and learn from it. Sounds deep and spiritual, doesn't it? Ommmmm ;)
Oh, and to be more tolerant of idiots. I have no patience for them but you can't fix stupid, can you, so I need to be more tolerant.
Lofty ambitions!

Posted by: laineyDid at December 30, 2009 2:46 PM

1. Personal paperwork in order (important stored in fireproof box!)
2. Live in the NOW and do so fearlessly! (there is no future in the past!)
3. Read a dozen classic novels (I've read so few ever!)
4. Plan more outings and events with family
5. Professional, Teamwork, Ownership and NICE <---at work goals

That NICE thing is going to be a real fucking bitch because I have low tolerance for stupid people. lol

Posted by: Kristy at December 30, 2009 3:23 PM

PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO ACCOMPLISH YOUR #1. THAT IS ME 110%!!

Posted by: CHERYL at December 30, 2009 4:30 PM

These could be my resolutions. Except for the skinny bit. I am not skinny. Get thy formerly in shape ass back into shape.

I have this nagging feeling that I am not accomplishing what I need to be accomplishing life wise. Sort of an "Is this all there is?" angst... this year, I'd like to find meaning or understanding.

I need to set and keep my own priorities. Right now the drummer is on meth, and she's making my life hell.

A bit of serenity would be nice too. (Accept what I cannot change et tout ├ža.)

Posted by: Nat at December 30, 2009 6:22 PM

My only goal is to have a nice healthy baby in June. I have gestational diabetes, so I have other risks I need to concentrate on, but just as with my first little guy, I learned really quickly to roll with the punches.
Also, in Canada, We are lucky enough to get a year maternity leave with pay, so I plan on enjoying every second with my family. That's what it's all about, isn't it?

Posted by: Lin at December 30, 2009 11:38 PM

You have some great resolutions. I think I'll just copy yours. Except for the asshole thing. I tend to be more of a bitch at times. Oh and getting those finances in better shape along with the ass.

Have a Happy New Year! May you be healthy and wealthy.

Posted by: Nila at December 31, 2009 4:20 AM

To enjoy and be fully in the present. To be continually grateful and accept that things this world throws at us don't always make sense.
To be more willing to stick up for myself on important things!
Have a healthy, happy wonderful New Year!

Posted by: Diane at December 31, 2009 10:13 AM

You go, dude.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at December 31, 2009 3:46 PM

#4 there is one of mine. I am always waiting for "one day"- One day soon we'll go to the park. One day we'll fix the playroom up right. One day. No, it's today. Today is life.

Other than that, I haven't thought out any, but I will. I love to make resolutions, even if I don't keep them.

Posted by: Lisa at January 5, 2010 12:02 PM

A lot of specialists tell that home loans aid a lot of people to live their own way, just because they are able to feel free to buy needed stuff. Furthermore, banks present auto loan for young and old people.

Posted by: MARIANFISHER18 at April 21, 2010 9:51 PM