December 11, 2009

The Weeklies #112

The Weekly Beer. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

The Weekly Time Waster. Perfect Balance

The Weekly Amazing Fact. Americans consume 34 gigs of data per day.

The Weekly iPhone App. Good Guide (iTunes link). Even better is the corresponding website - Good Guide. The site and the app rate products. This is nothing unique. But they rate the products against a number of really interesting criteria. Cereal, for instance, is rated by nutrition, vitamins, those kinds of things, as well as the health benefits given to it's employees and the manufacturer's record of charitable giving and environmental pollution. It's a really interesting way to look at the stuff you consume.

The Weekly Read. Quite a few years back I read e by Matt Beaumont. It was basically a story about a dysfunctional advertising agency told through emails between various employees. I remember it being good but not much more than that. I was sent an advance copy of e Squared, Beaumont's long-awaited follow-up to e. And it is a) the funniest book I've read all year and b) among the funniest books I've read in the last five years. As with e, Beaumont tells his story through email but adds text messages and IMs to the list of story-telling devices. Quite a few of the folks from e are featured but it doesn't at all matter if you haven't read it. e Squared is totally off the wall, peopled with strange characters. And you'd think that telling a story through email, text messages, and IMs would be lead to difficulty getting a true picture of the characters but, in fact, it's quite the opposite. The devices allow you to see multiple sides of a character. I think I have a good sense of humor but I rarely laugh out loud when reading even the funniest of books. And this one had me absolutely cracking up.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. If you've been paying any attention to the news, you'll know that the Women Who Are Not His Wife Who Tiger Has Been Banging count is up to eleven (!!). Who knew golfers were that popular with the ladies? Oh, and Tiger is seriously fucked. I'm speaking metaphorically. We all know he's been quite literally fucked a lot lately.

The Weekly Hypothetical. If you were, hypothetically, working from home and you'd just - again, hypothetically - hauled your ass out of bed and made yourself your first hypothetical cup of coffee and come to the sudden and hypothetical realization that you had no brilliant hypothetical question for your traditional Friday column, would you:

a) risk possible brain sprainage by trying, quickly, to come up with something brilliant and witty;

b) surf the internet for questions to pose and pass them off as your own; or

c) punt the whole thing because your readers are awesome and they will completely understand that if you can barely pee before you've had your coffee, you sure as hell can't come up with anything brilliant?

Posted by Chris at December 11, 2009 7:21 AM
Comments

C: Punt the whole thing. :o)

Hope your weekend is wonderful!

Posted by: Emily at December 11, 2009 8:22 AM

RE: Your hypothetical question. I haven't had my coffee yet, what was the question?

Posted by: js at December 11, 2009 8:45 AM

Punt. Who can think before coffee?

Posted by: Michelle at December 11, 2009 8:50 AM

Definitely go with C) Punt the whole thing! It's Friday!!!

Posted by: coolchick at December 11, 2009 9:09 AM

I had a few Sierra Nevada Celebration Ales this week. Highly recommended. And definitely choice C. Replace "readers" with "employers" and it sounds like a typical day for me.

Posted by: Jason at December 11, 2009 9:30 AM

Ooh, oooh, can I guest-post the hypothetical?
It's not so hypothetical, really, just a survey of sorts. Simple, and to the point. Like peeing in the shower.

Toilet paper should peel off the roll coming from the TOP or the BOTTOM?

Oh! Here's the deeper question, of course. We all knew this would lead to something insightful. Why, oh why, do we feel so strongly about the answer to this question? (I.e., why do I want to scratch out my father-in-law's eyes when he does it backwards??)

Posted by: Sabrina at December 11, 2009 9:51 AM

Oh yeah, C. Because we all know that your readers are totally tops!
Have a good weekend, my friend. I am off on my cruise tomorrow and will think of you as I bask in the sun!

Posted by: Maribeth at December 11, 2009 9:56 AM

Just in case you think I never read your comments:

Toilet paper - over the roll of course. Funny - that was one of my earliest blog posts and it received the most comments up to that date.

Verdict almost unanimous for over the roll except for one gal who doesn't bother either way because no one else bothered to even get out a new one.

As for your non-hypothetical (c) of course.

Have a great weekend.

Posted by: Ann Elizabeth Adams at December 11, 2009 10:12 AM

Heh. Punt away. Also, Tiger's an ass. I don't understand why people like that even bother getting married...all they seem to end up doing is hurting those they presumably care about!

Posted by: Heather at December 11, 2009 11:00 AM

Punt away!

Posted by: JJ at December 11, 2009 11:07 AM

C) ;)

TP--over the top. OR on the counter. :)

Have a great day!

Posted by: debb at December 11, 2009 12:40 PM

see...and all this time I thought WE were the ones who had to be brilliant coming up with the hypothetical answers.

Posted by: Kalisa at December 11, 2009 12:44 PM

C! definitely C!

TP over the TOP...putting TP on the wrong way is grounds for divorce! Also, I am the person who is invited to your house and turns the TP around the 'correct' way! I've one pet peeve...Sabrina hit it!

Happy weekend!

Posted by: cyndy at December 11, 2009 12:44 PM

LOVED e. so glad there is e squared.

and hypothetically why is your computer on before your coffee pot?

Posted by: jeanne at December 11, 2009 2:27 PM

C for sure. I would actually probably have given up on a weekly question around week 3 or so. :)

So, do you have to read e before e Squared?

Posted by: Kim at December 11, 2009 2:57 PM

ooh, I read e a few years ago, it's hilarious!

Posted by: Katherine at December 11, 2009 3:09 PM

Insert joke I can't quite grasp to do with holes in one?

I'm on cup #2 (Up at 5 on a Saturday -- nice no) still no real words of brilliance.

Posted by: Nat at December 12, 2009 6:13 AM

I can't remember if you ever mentioned whether you're a fan of Guinness or not...but I saw this and thought of you: http://de.acidcow.com/pics/20090925/acid_picdump_81_43.jpg

Posted by: Ivy at December 12, 2009 9:11 PM

Definitely C.
As for Sabrina's toilet paper question, over the Top. Any other way just doesn't make sense, of course you want to scratch his eyes out!

Posted by: Diane at December 14, 2009 9:18 AM

I will recommend not to hold off until you earn big sum of money to order different goods! You can just take the home loans or collateral loan and feel yourself comfortable

Posted by: Underwood28Maude at July 30, 2010 5:57 AM