December 18, 2009

The Weeklies #113

The Weekly Grand Total. $230.85. Just by commenting - thanks to the donation matching - you guys managed to raise $230.85 for Fisher House in a 24 hour period. That, my friends, is awesome. Yay you.

The Weekly Time Waster. Multitask.

The Weekly Read. It's strange, reading. When I go from one book to the next, I invariably find some odd coincidence linking them together. I went from one novel about a plague of sleeplessness to D.C. Pierson's The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep And Never Had To which is precisely what it sounds like. On the surface, Pierson's book seems like a typical Salingeresque coming of age story about two kids obsessed with comic books navigating the choppy waters of adolescence. But somewhere in the second half of the novel, things take a strange turn. I won't spoil it for you but I will say that I'm not entirely sure I understood exactly what happened. That didn't detract from the joy I took in reading the story. I liked it very much. So give it a shot.

The Weekly Music. In a bizarre moment of boredom-fueled channel surfing, I stumbled across The Sing Off. And, for some reason, stopped. I might have been a little drunk. Anyway, the premise of the show is just like every other so called talent-based reality show in the history of the universe. People - in this case acapella groups - perform, three judges critique them, one gets booted. Lather, rinse, repeat. This one was especially disheartening because of one of the judges. The great Ben Folds. I love Ben Folds. He's talented, he's quirky, he's just all around awesome. And he has, apparently, sunk to a new low - hastily thrown-together craptastic talent contest hosted by former Mr. Jessica Simpson. Now, he was really good as a judge but what a sell-out.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. I missed this late last month but it's still worth highlighting. Kirk Cameron - he of Growing Pains fame - found god some time ago. And now he wants everyone to know about it. His latest crusade? Putting down Darwin. He's even gone so far as to link Darwin to Hitler. Cameron is on a college tour these days trying to convince others that Darwin is just flat wrong. Unfortunately these events are typically town hall-style forums and Cameron should probably not field questions. I say that based on the following:

Student: Science is based on evidence, where religion is based on faith.
Cameron: But Darwinism is extremely based on faith
Student: Not really, it's based on a lot of evidence.
Cameron: ...

The Weekly Hypothetical. You could have any single talent. You could be a brilliant painter, a stunning pianist, or have the singing voice of an angel. But only for two years. Of course, you could turn down the talent entirely. Do you do it? And what talent do you pick up if you do?

Posted by Chris at December 18, 2009 7:00 AM
Comments

I do not think that Ben Folds was a sell out. Last March he put together an album of his songs all done A cappela by various University acapela groups. The album is awesome. He has said in interrviews how awesome A cappela is and how he wanted to explore the type of music further. To me, he judging this show is part of that exploration.

I am a closet University A cappella fan.

Posted by: William at December 18, 2009 8:12 AM

They Might Be Giants has a new album for kids out called Here Comes Science. There is one song called Science is Real that is just terrific! In case you were looking for some awesome kids' music, I highly recommend Here Come the ABC's, Here Come the 123s, and their latest.

Posted by: Elizabeth at December 18, 2009 9:01 AM

I would DEFINITELY select to be the worlds greatest golfer to be my one single talent! And since it would be over after two years, I would be out before it all blew up in my face, and I would chuckle everytime I looked at my bank account!

Posted by: Ross at December 18, 2009 9:20 AM

Posted by: Ross at December 18, 2009 9:20 AM

See, this is one of those questions that tends to bring up even more questions. Like, do you entirely lose your talent altogether after two years, or just the level of brilliancy? I'd love to be brilliant painter (even for just the two years), but at the two year mark, would I fall back to the level of a just a "meh" painter, selling velvet Elvises (Elvi?) at the bottom of a freeway off-ramp, or would I lose the ability to even hold a brush anymore?

Posted by: j at December 18, 2009 10:05 AM

Um. Kirk Cameron and the Creationists frighten me. I mean really? Really? Are you for real? And I am intrigued by that book. One more to add to my list. Oh and Pandora introduced me to the Wailin' Jennys. Just thought I'd pass that along.

Posted by: k8 at December 18, 2009 10:11 AM

I would love to be able to play the guitar - I don't even care if I make money...I just always wanted to be able to play guitar. I have a guitar, I've even taken lessons. Maybe I need to take it back up again, huh? Happy weekend before Christmas!

Posted by: cyndy at December 18, 2009 10:27 AM

Song writer; hands down. Music transcends all, and to be able to capture all the emotion and thoughts and feelings and put that to music that would then live on and touch people, yeah, that would be it.

Posted by: metawizard at December 18, 2009 10:34 AM

I've always said if I could have 3 wishes one of them would be to be able to sing. Not like opera or anything like that. This world needs way more female ROCK stars! And I just have to comment on the Kirk Cameron thing. UGH! I saw an interview, for when he did that movie (FIREPROOF, I would rather stick forks in my eyes than watch that!) that he wouldn't even kiss the actress in the movie who played his wife, because it was against his beliefs, so his real life wife stood in as "body double" for the kissing scenes. ~VOMIT~ Oh and his sister Candice is also a holy roller too! I have sadly missed the Sing Off so far, but I plan on catching it soon! Hoping it might fill the void that Glee left...

Posted by: Tracy H at December 18, 2009 10:49 AM

I have lots of questions about the wish. Is it at this stage in our life? Is it at a younger age? older? Can we bank any money we might earn and have it even after the talent has gone caput?

Anyway--I would have to say to sing like an angel.

Posted by: debb at December 18, 2009 11:08 AM

stand up comedy...would be the life of every party. or dancing...wish i had some graceful moves in me.

Posted by: NM at December 18, 2009 11:52 AM

Well, I guess I would choose to be an awesome writer, but I've always wanted to paint/draw better. Either one would be cool.

Posted by: Brooke at December 18, 2009 11:58 AM

I'd like to be a Dr. Doolittle of sorts, be able to talk to my rescued pets and find out about their lives.
Kirk Cameron is a freak and needs to go away - yesterday!
It irks me when people try to push their religion or politics on others but it really bothers me when they do it to impressionable youth, that shouldn't be allowed. IMHO

Posted by: LaineyDid at December 18, 2009 1:07 PM

I'd probably go for the singing voice and make as much money as I could in the two years. Though I do love piano music. Painters rarely become famous until after they leave. On the other hand I could paint as many paintings as possible in a 2 year period and spend my life attempting to sell them....
I'm broke this Christmas, so I'm going for the money grab ;)

Posted by: Rose Winters at December 18, 2009 7:19 PM

I'd love to write brilliant amazing music that would speak to people and would last far longer than the two years by nature of that's what music does.

Kirk Cameron does strike me as douchey these days - but in his defense, I think he's got a decent heart behind the whackiness. My college roommate met him as a part of make-a-wish when she was much younger. She had cystic fibrosis and wanted to meet him. Kirk and his wife were amazing to her, even years later kept in touch with her, when neither of them had to. So for that, I give him credit. My former roommate died several years ago, but I still think of how kind he was to her, and I give him a pass for some of his weirder shit.

Posted by: Sarah at December 18, 2009 8:29 PM

Kirk Cameron has been on the looney end of the spectrum for a while now no?

I wish I was more musical. I wish I could "do" the magic to make music. Not just play it, but make it. :)

Posted by: Nat at December 19, 2009 10:01 AM

Playing the piano. Actually, any musical instrument would be okey dokey, but the piano would be particularly sweet what with all the amazing junk you could play. I make it sound so romantic, I know.

The thing that gets me about atheists and religious zealots are that they're basically the same close-minded idiot with the only superficial difference being that they, say, wear different colored suspenders to hold up their self-righteous pantaloons. It floors my that supposedly intelligent people (I'm aiming at the scientific community in particular, but the theological one can represent here, as well) find it impossible to even consider the union of science and faith in any way. The only way ... ONLY WAY ... that I can possibly make sense of a lot of scientific whatnot that I'm involved with is through my belief in God. Period. Otherwise, it's all a bunch of Big Bang bullshit, belief in which most physicists will agree requires just as big a leap of faith as does belief in a higher power.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at December 19, 2009 2:11 PM