January 27, 2010

Teacher's Pet

There is always a teachers pet. Whether you're in second grade on in a professional development course, there is always a teachers pet. I'm sitting behind one for the duration of the week. Yeah, it's awesome.

And teachers pet is probably a misnomer.

This type of person is one who desperately wants to be adored by the teacher but is, most likely, loathed. This is the person who thrusts his or her hand in the air and says ooh ooh ooh whenever a question is asked. And the person who offers not a simple explanation but one that offers waaay too much information yet provides surprisingly little value.

And this is the type of person I suspect teachers actually loathe. Maybe as much as I do. And unfortunately Teacher Pet Syndrome isn't just confined to the classroom. No, there are plenty of people in the world who believe the best way to the top, the quickest avenue to success, is up the butt-crack of a supposed superior.

Also, I'm fairly convinced that my instructor is the long lost brother of noted author and friend Marshall Karp. It's kinda surreal.

400.jpg

Okay, so I know my image sucks but you try to snap a picture of your teacher on the sly in a room full of people and see how bold you get.

I'm off to my third day of intense cramming for an exam I have to take on Friday. I am thrilled (sarcasm) and worn out (not sarcasm). I'm looking forward to Friday afternoon. Wish me luck.

Posted by Chris at January 27, 2010 7:12 AM
Comments

As a teacher, I will confirm that I can't stand the, "oooh, oooh, oooh" that they make. :) I usually avoid calling on them because they make that noise. It takes a few times for the kids to get it, but finally they do quiet down.

Sorry you're stuck in training! Although now I wonder if my students feel the same way....naw, they're 6 and 7...they still love school! Right? :)

Posted by: Wendy at January 27, 2010 7:41 AM

You know who I hate more than the Teacher's Pet? Irrelevant Girl/Guy, who stops the lecture cold to ask questions about things that don't have a thing to do with the subject in question. I had one of those in high school, and she drove.me.NUTS.

Posted by: Fraulein N at January 27, 2010 8:41 AM

I believe spitwads are always relevant in certain situations. ;)

Posted by: Traci at January 27, 2010 9:49 AM

OOO, yeah... Because nothing make people stop in their tracks like: "I need a picture of you for my blog"!

I went to university with several "repeat ten minutes of exactly what the prof just said with 'so what you're saying is' right in front of it to make it a question" people.

Posted by: harmzie at January 27, 2010 10:08 AM

Ummm, really? Not sure I see that much resemblence between the two but I'm always ready to see a pictur of the author dude! For some reason his photo always brings a smile to my face.

I really do loathe obscure question person, as well.

It is raining today and I really did not want to get up and go to school. Ugghhh and the parents are awful.

Posted by: debb at January 27, 2010 12:37 PM

GOOD LUCK !!!!!!......and i am having a brew with you....so you don't have to drink alone....yeah I'm just that kinda gal....lol

Posted by: Roberta at January 27, 2010 7:33 PM

I've been praised in the past by one of my CEO's for particularly not being a brown noser.... "How come everyone kisses my ass around here and you don't? You treat me like I'm human...."

Posted by: Rose Winters at January 28, 2010 12:18 AM

Haha I did a sneaky prof pic once because I had to prove to my friend that he really was wearing rainbow suspenders. Really.

Posted by: Heather at January 28, 2010 12:54 AM

Good luck tomorrow!

And speaking as a teacher, yes, those people are annoying.

Posted by: mikkie at January 28, 2010 11:14 AM

I was a teacher's pet. [hides] I was never an "Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!" arm waver. In fact, I did my best to disappear. But I worked hard and did well, and in a place where I was largely outnumbered by apathetic students, I guess I stood out.

Along those lines, I got a pretty creepy (although I laughed at the time and continue to do so) letter from my AP English teacher after I graduated basically saying that seeing me in class gave him a reason to get out of bed in the morning. Puts a whole new spin on "teacher's pet". I'm really glad he sent that after I was out of school. Sitting in English with that knowledge would have really thrown me off my game.

Posted by: Brooke at January 28, 2010 12:25 PM

I was teacher's pet too. I have always raised my hand without making a sound and waited calmly for all the kids to get the answer wrong, so I could shine. School was the place where children envied me and teachers adored as I have really applied myself and put ALL my heart into studying - it was to suffice for my father's coldness (some positive attention from grown ups, especially male history teachers who I secretly saw as a father figure) and to give me hope that I will succeed, so I can live my life the way I want and don't have to sleep in clothes in the winter, because the window in my room is broken, or bath in a backet, because there was no bathroom.
I can understand why I was seen as annoying and kids didn't like me, but they took very little effort to make me feel welcome and try to understand and I felt worthless alreasy and just tried to prove to others that I REALLY am good...

Posted by: Iwona at September 9, 2010 6:57 PM