January 22, 2010

The Weeklies #116

The Weekly Affliction. I have a cold. Ugh.

The Weekly Time Waster/iPhone App. Dark Nebula. It's like one of those marble games where you have to negotiate a maze with a marble only these mazes have guns, force-fields and spinning blades. It's pretty intense and very much fun.

The Weekly iPhone Coolness. A guy in Haiti is crediting his iPhone with saving his life. Trapped in the rubble of a hotel, he used is camera for light and his iPhone to look up first aid techniques to fix his headwound. Technology is cool.

The Weekly Book. I read another Jason Pinter novel. This time The Fury. There's something about Pinter that I like. His narrative is often stilted and comes off - I don't know - naive. But that lends to the boyish charm of his hero. His novels, at their best, are compelling mysteries and, at their worst, quick, entertaining reads. The Fury was no exception. Recommended.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. Heidi Montag - you know, one in a long line of seemingly brainless women famous for doing absolutely nothing - got herself some plastic surgery. Or rather ten plastic surgeries. In one day. By my math, she's now mostly made of plastic.

The Weekly Hypothetical. Someone or something boots you from the 'net forever. How hard is the adjustment? Do you make it? What do you miss most?

Posted by Chris at January 22, 2010 7:22 AM
Comments

First, it's been such a hectic week that I didn't even realize it was Friday until I read your weekly wrap-up. So, THANKS!
The hypothetical? The adjustment would SUCK, and I don't know if I'd ever adjust, I'm that dependent on the internet. What would I miss the most? Reading blogs, looking up useless information, playing games, etc.

Posted by: js at January 22, 2010 9:06 AM

Nope, the outlook would not be good for me.Don't take my 'net!
As a recent lay off victim the internet is my lifeline to not only finding work but keeping in touch with the world. And while I was still employed the internet kept me entertained while bored. I would miss blogs the most- I love reading all sorts of excellent blogs. The online community becomes part of your life.

Posted by: diane at January 22, 2010 10:03 AM

Please don't ever take my Internet away. Not only would I miss my blogging friends, I would have to restart my dissertation on a totally new topic.

It would be really difficult to write about blogging without having access to blogs themselves.

Posted by: Krush at January 22, 2010 10:40 AM

Over Christmas, I went to my parents' house in Ohio. They have NO computer/internet! I was dying. The interent is my lifeline. I get all my news/info from the internet. It was rough. I felt all out of the loop. When I got home, it took me a week to fully catch up on what had happened in the world/all the blogs I read.
Plus, with my husband deployed, Skype has been our best friend. Without the computer/webcam, we only had his computer and my cell phone. Skype to a phone is not the best quality(also, I think my parents' house has some kind of anti-cell phone force field around it, cell reception ONLY if you stand next to the back window).
So, ya, I need my internet!

Posted by: Halle at January 22, 2010 10:50 AM

I'd miss RudeCactus, of course!

Seriously.. I would love it.. yeah, I love technology, and love having a google of answers at the click of a mouse.. but still that freedom of not being tied down to a virtual world sounds inviting as well.

Every summer we take a big camping trip with the extended family. This is anywhere from 5 to 10 days. There is no Internet service, barely any phone coverage.. It takes a day to completely unwind, but when we do.. its blissful.

Posted by: molly at January 22, 2010 11:15 AM

Oh- and I'd have to find a new line of work. I'm not sure I could host and maintain any webapplications without the Internet..

Posted by: molly at January 22, 2010 11:20 AM

A world without the internet? You mean, like 1990? ;-)

I'd be OK without it. I'd just go back to calling and writing my friends instead of seeing them on Facebook. But I would miss email (does that count as 'net? 'Cause if not, well, I'd be pretty dandy without just browser-related stuff) and Facebook. It's so easy to keep up with my long-distance besties on FB. Just this week, I posted a request for a copy of the CD our college radio station made, on which a bunch of my friends had tracks. Mine got stolen some years ago. Well, one of my college friends replied immediately that she had it and would send a copy the next day. This she did and I expect it any time. It's the small things like that that I'd miss, but I lived more than half my life without the internet, so I'm sure I'd be fine.

Posted by: Brooke at January 22, 2010 12:40 PM

Oh Wow I am on the last book in The Fury series I read The Fury then found out about The Hunter ( a little short stroy in between ) and the other sequel The Darkness , finishing that tonight , has been a pretty OK read its getting a little out there but well worth the few dollars I spent downloading it to my iphone from B&N !The little book in between ( The Hunter ) kinda confuses me , why wouldnt he just put it in the second book ? Did he leave it out on accident and had to go back and fix it but didnt want to rewrite the entire second book ? Or was it a marketing tool ? Cause I downloaded The Hunter for free to my iphone but when I read it was the middle of two other books I jumped right on B&N and bought the two I was missing! Either way it was entertaining and his writing flows pretty well , if I can see it play in my head like a movie then it is worth my time !

Posted by: Michelle Juhase at January 22, 2010 1:02 PM

I'd adjust fairly quickly(but not happily) to life without the internet probably because well, I'm old (50) and have lived more of my life without it than with it.
I have a question for you...you must be awesome at time management because I am amazed that you can hold a full-time job, spend quality time with your wife and two young kids - which clearly, you do, AND read an entire book a week. What's your secret?
Feel better soon!

Posted by: laineyDid at January 22, 2010 1:29 PM

I do sincerely hope the Heidi Montag would disappear from public life as quickly as she entered it.

Posted by: Kevin Spencer at January 22, 2010 2:03 PM

Booted from the net forever. I can't imagine since I use my computer and/or Iphone for just about everything. I remember the days before computers and having to use a typewriter.

Get well soon!

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at January 22, 2010 5:10 PM

The adjustment would be hell!
We've become so dependent on having information at our fingertips. I guess it would be back to the library to look up everything. The next trick would be finding one that still has a card catalog! Remember those? I'd miss talking to all my friends online. If I had to hand write letters very few would hear from me....

Posted by: Rose Winters at January 22, 2010 5:45 PM

The iPhone thing is really cool ...
The schadenfreude is ridiculous :P
Annnnd the hypothetical? i just can't go there. It's too traumatic ;)

Posted by: Heather at January 22, 2010 6:50 PM

iPhone how did I live without... what I miss most about being kicked from the web... all of you pretend people is what I'd miss the most.

Posted by: Nat at January 22, 2010 9:48 PM

I dunno, don't some men like women who are made entirely of plastic? Like an inflatable doll that talks! Conversation will be approximately as thought-provoking as that you would have with any piece of plastic.

I read Beat the Reaper: pure awesomeness!!

Posted by: Jess at January 23, 2010 1:49 PM

I saw that thing on Heidi Montag. The before and after pics too. It's sad and sick that she did that to herself. She was very pretty before but her new look is a definite disaster.

Posted by: jessica at February 4, 2010 4:10 PM