February 26, 2010

The Weeklies #121

The Weekly Mood. Spent.

The Weekly Beer. Kona Brewing Longboard Lager.

The Weekly Oddly Compelling Sporting Event. Curling.

The Weekly Read. I've never read much Hemingway. After my Catcher In The Rye adventure, I thought I'd take another spin through the classics, found an old copy of The Old Man In The Sea, and gave it a read. And I don't mind admitting that it's kinda brilliant.

The Weekly Music. It hasn't been released in the States yet (that happens next Tuesday) but I was able to download a copy of Peter Gabriel's latest album Scratch My Back from his site for a nominal fee. It's a pretty unique concept, this album. Gabriel covered songs from artists like Radiohead, Neal Young, Randy Newman, Regina Spektor and Elbow and they, in turn, agreed to cover some of his songs. It was made more interesting by the fact that Gabriel recorded the cover versions without drums, bass or guitars. Instead, it's sparsely and marvelously orchestrated added to only by Gabriel's piano. His voice is the primary focus. The results? Mixed. Gabriel does an excellent job interpreting each song he covers. Particularly effective are David Bowie's Heroes and The Magnetic Fields' Book of Love. In fact Gabriel's version of the latter might be one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded. The majority of the covers are similarly beautifully done. There are some misses. Elbow's Mirrorball is a beautiful song and I was incredibly eager to hear Gabriel's take. Gabriel does an admirable job but his interpretation skips one lone minor note in the hook that, to me, made the song brilliant. These individual songs are brilliant yet taken together and a whole the album is, well, a little boring. The parts are greater than the sum of the whole. Is it worth buying? Absolutely.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. So, Brooke Mueller - wife of Charlie Sheen - decided to enter rehab. And then promptly left fearing her privacy had been invaded. She went to another rehab facility. And then promptly left. Instead, she's going to try rehab at home...so she can be with her kids while she sobers up. 'Cos that's a good idea, a crack addict hanging out with her kids while she tries to get over the rock. You know, I'm pretty sure the kids would be better off being left with grandparents for a few weeks and having a sober mother than a whacked-out detoxing crack addict right now.

The Weekly Hypothetical. What beverage are you?

Posted by Chris at February 26, 2010 6:48 AM
Comments

Normally, wine. Mellow with a variety of flavors. Now that I am knowcked up I am more of hot cocoa or lemonade depending on my mood or the time of day. The hot cocoa is warm and comfortable while the lemonade is zingy and fun.

Posted by: Ashley K at February 26, 2010 7:47 AM

And remember, Charlie Sheen has also entered rehab. So those kids totally have it made. One parent at home trying to dry out and another in rehab...again. I hope they have some decent nannies.

Posted by: Lisa D at February 26, 2010 7:59 AM

I am a riesling... sweet and intoxicating without being overbearing. Great at night, after a long day.

Posted by: Tess at February 26, 2010 8:51 AM

Right now, I am PBR. Can't beat $16.95 for a 30-pack! ;D

Posted by: Michelle at February 26, 2010 8:52 AM

It's bad enough that I've been staying up until midnight to watch curling, but last night I was in the basement playing curling on the Wii.

Posted by: COD at February 26, 2010 8:53 AM

I love, love, love Peter Gabriel!

And I'm whiskey. You don't know you've had too much until it's too late.

Posted by: k8 at February 26, 2010 9:05 AM

I'm probably a milkshake. Sometimes my coldness is refreshing, but either way, I'm usually pretty sweet so I'm fairly likeable.

(Or I'm all wrong and I'm the lemonade someone forgot to add sugar to and I'm bitter and gross. Depends on the day).

Posted by: Sarah at February 26, 2010 9:30 AM

I'm champagne. Sparkling, with a dry wit! Great with strawberries!

Posted by: Maribeth at February 26, 2010 9:55 AM

WHERE IS THE DOWNLOAD?

Posted by: alektra at February 26, 2010 11:15 AM

My husband and I danced to a Peter Gabriel version of "Book of Love" at our wedding. I had bought the "Shall We Dance?" soundtrack (purely for the Pussycat Dolls' "Sway" and I'm not ashamed to admit it), and one day iTunes shuffled up that Gabriel track and as soon as I heard it, I called my then-fiance and said, "I found our first dance song." I still love it. It's beautiful.

Me, I'm Coke. Classic, bubbly for a limited period of time, sweet and refreshing.

Posted by: Brooke at February 26, 2010 12:12 PM

I'm a green smoothie with frozen bananas, blueberries and spinach (amongst other stuffs) :)

Posted by: Alejandra at February 26, 2010 12:27 PM

I am sweet tea. Cool refreshing, sweet, all that sugary goodness which is inside of me with that hint of sour from the lemon. Wonderful on a long hot day. But completely great any ole time.

Posted by: debb at February 26, 2010 12:34 PM

On Peter Gabriel's album - from what I've heard off of it, it is pretty darn good!

if you haven't yet - check out www.thecurrent.org - Its Minnesota's Public radio station, but it plays GREAT music! right up you're alley I'm sure. And the streaming is great!

And for me this week - Wine, red please!

Posted by: molly at February 26, 2010 3:14 PM

Old Man and the Sea is a beautiful story. In my opinion the greatest novella ever written. I'm teaching my boys how to write by having them copy it paragraph by paragraph.

Eh, anything Charlie Sheen does is pretty deranged, but it's also pretty awesome to watch unfold. This time we get to see the other side of the crazyness -- the wife. Well, I'm oddly interested :-)

Posted by: Keith Wilcox at February 26, 2010 6:31 PM

I am coffee, dark and bitter by itself but rich and stimulating with a little cream and sugar added.

Posted by: Jen at February 26, 2010 6:36 PM

Looking forward to hearing the Peter Gabriel - thanks for the heads up.

My husband says I'm lemon, lime and bitters. Cause sometimes I'm sweet and sometimes I'm... not. Hmmm.

Posted by: Jo MacD at February 26, 2010 7:24 PM

Oh thank God! I was beginning to think I was the only person in the world who "got" curling!

Posted by: coolchick at February 26, 2010 9:31 PM

All you guys are talking about curling, and really, I don't get it. NBC must have done a fabulous job with the coverage. It sort of leaves me cold -- I just don't get it. However.. glad you enjoyed it. It's a grown up sport, and you should give it a try.

Beverage: hmmmmm... I'd like to say I'm a Pinot Grigio (tasty and light) but I'm probably a Shiraz... (fruity, complex, and sometimes a bit much.)

Posted by: Nat at February 27, 2010 8:37 AM

I'm a fan of the Old Man In The Sea, though I haven't read it in YEARS!!

I haven't bought a cd in a REALLY long time, but I might have to check out that Peter Gabriel album!!

I'm tea. :) Or if we're talking booze maybe I'll be coconut Parrot Bay or a nice vodka....

Posted by: Rose at February 28, 2010 3:35 PM