February 1, 2010

Breathless

The weekend was busy. A lot of things happened at nearly the same time, an odd collision of random events some of which were good, some not. First, I passed my test. I aced it. I made it my bitch. Second, Mia ended up in the hospital. Again.

On Friday evening, she started struggling to breathe, much like she did back in October except not nearly so severe. But we were, and are, gun-shy. Beth and Mia headed right to the emergency room while I stayed with Owen. A few hours later, she was admitted. She responded very well.

Beth dropped me a text at noon on Saturday to report that, after waiting for a doctor the better part of the morning, they'd been discharged and were on their way. Then snow started falling. Quiet descended.

Mia did well at home. Her parents tried their best to hold it together but they were worried too. We're delivering breathing treatments every four hours around the clock but in between Mia can't help but sing and dance around the house and chase her little brother and demand to be chased by him. So we suspect that everything is as it should be. And we're hoping that we don't see the inside of the hospital anytime soon. Mia agrees and reports that she's doing fine, though a little manic.

DSC_5899%20copy.jpg

Lots of people claim to understand terror. They sell it to you as a Stephen King book, as a roller-coaster, a horror movie. Parents know what true terror is. It's seeing their kids in pain. Even when their kids take it in stride.

When we told her she had to go to the hospital, she didn't argue at all. Instead she quite literally said okay, let me get a few things to take with me. And she was brave throughout the whole experience. Mia amazes me. This little girl who calls me daddy much to my wild surprise every time. This little girl who is so bright, so kind, so very intelligent it is scary. This little girl who is - though I know I am somewhat biased - the most gorgeous little creature upon whom I have ever laid eyes. She amazes me.

Posted by Chris at February 1, 2010 6:52 AM
Comments

I'm so glad that she seems to be doing better.
One thing you can be thankful for though is that she's old enough that she can tell you what hurts and that sort of thing. I don't look forward to having a baby someday and wondering what it is that's hurting them when all they do is cry....

Posted by: Rose at February 1, 2010 7:01 AM

DUDE. I. Hear. YOU. Jimmy just kicked off his week with a febrile seizure and a trip to the Emergency Room after a visit from the nice people at 911 (you know, the Firemen, Paramedics AND POLICE).

I am so happy to hear Mia is doing much better. I don't know if I'm more relieved on your behalf to hear how calm she was about the ordeal or just a little sad to think that she was so brave? Meaning, I like our four year olds (and youngers) to be four year olds (and....youngers) and not have to be brave big kids.

Posted by: chatty cricket at February 1, 2010 7:27 AM

poor mia. Poor mommy and daddy. Do you guys need anything?

Posted by: jodifur at February 1, 2010 7:43 AM

No doubt Mia is one tough cookie. Glad that she is doing ok. And that you guys are too. I can't even imagine...

Posted by: rougeneck at February 1, 2010 7:58 AM

Sorry Mia was ill again. Having had an asthmatic daughter, I know all too well those helpless feelings that parent's describe. Mia is phenomenal, you know. She is totally awesome!
Feel better soon, Mia!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Maribeth at February 1, 2010 8:08 AM

Our younger boy -- just about 2 -- was having breathing attacks every time he got a cold. Three trips to the hospital, two last winter and one in September. When he was going to the hospital in literally the first week of cold season in september we sort of freaked out and got him to see a breathing specialist and we sort of, well, were forceful about the fact that we wanted a better solution then let him get sick and then load his ass up with prednisone after he's been in the hospital.

After I was a little bit forceful, they took us seriosly and we got him on an "asthma management program" which means we give him pulmacort every morning and singulair every night all throughout cold season and, when he has a cold, he gets pulmacort twice a day and if he has the slightest trouble breathing then he gets albuteral as well.

It's a pain in the ass. But knock on wood, it's been a bunch colds and no trips to the hospital or prednisone -- which makes him turn green, grow to about 15 feet tall, and develop muscles that make Barry Bonds circa 2001 look like a 110 pound weakling.

Posted by: Aaron at February 1, 2010 8:08 AM

So sorry to hear this. I've had asthma all my life, so I know what you're dealing with. Glad to hear she's doing better.

Posted by: LaineyDid at February 1, 2010 8:10 AM

I'm glad she is feeling better. Those breathing treatments really can hype them up but it's nice to see them hyped and not feeling bad.

Posted by: daisy at February 1, 2010 8:31 AM

Sick kids are definitely terrifying :( Sorry to hear you made another trip to the hospital, but I'm glad she is home already and doing well.

Posted by: Elizabeth at February 1, 2010 8:52 AM

I think it's one of the scariest things that can happen to you. My son never had a temp till he was 14 months old. It wasn't high, but my husband and I were frantic. And a hospital trip has got to be those thoughts times 10.

Glad she'd doing well.

Posted by: cassie-b at February 1, 2010 9:14 AM

Glad she's doing better! I remember the nebulizer routine with Leah - though that was only after we'd missed the warning signs of 'can't breathe' and she ended up with a collapsed lung. Yeah, that feels AWESOME.

Posted by: Pammer at February 1, 2010 9:47 AM

Glad everyone is doing better. Trips to the ER are scary. Remember to take care of you....the stress of having a sick child, the unknown, an ER trip and trying to hold it all together (not let them see you stress) will completely wear you out. Hang in there!

Posted by: DeLurking Di at February 1, 2010 9:47 AM

Both of your children are beautiful! I'm glad she's doing better :)

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at February 1, 2010 9:52 AM

Oh so sorry to hear Mia was at the hospital again :( I sure hope there aren't any more such scary episodes. And totally agree that Mia is the most gorgeous little girl ever! And I am not biased.

Posted by: Iris at February 1, 2010 10:00 AM

I'm so glad she is OK. And yes, she is beautiful through and through.

Posted by: Brad at February 1, 2010 10:39 AM

The upside is that you know that 95% it's an asthma attack. Not fun, not fair, but your little girl gets better very fast so that she can tortu... I mean, play with Owen so quickly.

Monster hugs.

Posted by: alektra at February 1, 2010 10:44 AM

I'm so glad she's doing better! It is so scary, especially as a parent and as a little kid. Both of my girls have asthma, so we've spent a lot of time in the hospital. The treatments are scary, the hospital is scary, and the whole thing is just traumatic. That's just for Mommy and Daddy! It gets better, they get braver and we get more amazed. We're working on getting our youngest's under control, which is a long process. :) Way to be strong for her, and for learning some of that from her!

Posted by: Wendy at February 1, 2010 10:49 AM

Glad she's ok. I know seeing The Boy at the hospital was very scary. We strive to protect our kids but seeing him like that made me realize just how fragile we all are.

Posted by: Nat at February 1, 2010 11:00 AM

Poor little gal. I'm glad she's feeling better and glad you did so well on the test.

Posted by: ann adams at February 1, 2010 11:05 AM

We've had the nebulizer for seven years now! Wooohoo! I feel your fear. Glad she's OK.

Sometimes I think I should take a little shot of Albuterol myself, to keep me going throughout the day.

Posted by: Suzy Voices at February 1, 2010 11:33 AM

Sorry about Mia; glad she's better. Asthma sucks but that is what health insurance is for. $15 to make my kid better? To whom do I write the check? We discovered my son has the family affliction the day after Christmas, when we spent 7 hours at the hospital getting breathing treatments and went home with our own personal nebulizer. Yay. We're at it again this week, with the Albuterol every 4, so I feel your pain. I'm glad Mia is in good spirits and is so phlegmatic about the hospital experience. No sense in spreading the terror around, right?

Posted by: Brooke at February 1, 2010 11:56 AM

Whew, so glad she's alright. Brave little force of nature, that one! And cheers to you acing your test!

Posted by: reen at February 1, 2010 3:00 PM

So, nice relaxing weekend for you then? Geez. Poor girl, I'm glad she's on the mend. Fingers crossed that it STAYS THAT WAY!

You're right, parents know true terror. When my daughter was about a year she stopped breathing, turned blue and then started again. I threw my mom in the backseat with her (not in a car seat) and drove about 70 to the hospital because I knew it's be faster than calling 911. Stopped breathing again in the car. FINE by the time we got to ER. But I have never been so terrified.

Shit, I think I just scared myself so bad I need a drink!

Posted by: Jess at February 1, 2010 3:32 PM

u r not biased. she is very gorgeous. so did they diagnose it as asthma? or was it an infection?

Posted by: NM at February 1, 2010 3:57 PM

Having two asthmatic boys who've spent their share of time in the ER and hospital, I completely understand that terror. Nothing like your child struggling to breath to send you into an existential crisis.
Sounds like you all handled it like Aces. Enjoy the prednisonal high. (It passes ;)

Posted by: Zip n Tizzy at February 1, 2010 4:03 PM

"Parents know what true terror is. It's seeing their kids in pain."

So true. It doesn't matter what kind of pain it is -- emotional, physical -- it just tears at you, doesn't it? She sounds phenomenal. I'm glad she's doing better.

Posted by: Kimberly Hosey (AZ Writer) at February 1, 2010 4:28 PM

So happy to hear Mia is doing fine, and she most def. is one of the most beautiful little girls I have ever seen. Being the mom of an 18yr old boy...I love me some lil girl...lol...and Congrats on the test....kinda had a feeling you would ace it!!!!

Posted by: Roberta at February 1, 2010 5:54 PM

Oh my what a scary weekend! So glad you aced the test, but you couldn't even celebrate! I know the terror of which you speak -- wouldn't wish it on anyone. Mia surely is one brave little girl!

Posted by: coolchick at February 1, 2010 6:02 PM

I'm sorry Mia and your family had to go through that. I've been there and it truly is the worst feeling in the world. Hang in there. I'm thinking good thoughts for Mia.

Posted by: Carolyn at February 1, 2010 9:59 PM

Good to hear she is doing ok! I hope you won't have any more of these scares in the future!

Posted by: mikkie at February 2, 2010 5:52 AM