February 23, 2010

Cheery

Throughout the past week, Beth - a childhood asthma sufferer - had been having a progressively harder time breathing. By Sunday night, we were both concerned. We called my parents to come over and assume childcare responsibilities (a pretty cherry gig what with them already being asleep and all) and headed to the emergency room.

We got there. Healthcare was delivered. Slowly, but it was delivered. And everything checked out okay. Whilst there, we made fun of the ER physician who called Beth kiddo and me buddy and when the required pre-xray pregnancy test came back it was, according to him, negatory. I decided to call him Skipper. We also talked about the age of the clothes I was wearing (my belt and jacket were 10 years old and my Doc Martens 17). I consider them vintage instead of old. Of course we talked about the kids, how tired we were, and even derived some great band names from the medical equipment in the cabinets around us (Cleveland, it's Pete Catheter and the Speculums!).

The emergency room is a place with which we have way too much recent familiarity. This marks the third time in the last four months we've walked through it's red neon-lit sliding glass doors. And this at the end of a week in which my grandmother's health has gotten progressively worse and two family acquaintances have suddenly and literally dropped dead.

If the world is trying to tell me something, I get it. Stay healthy...remember you're living not only for yourself but for your family...every day could be your last...carpe diem. Yeah, I get it. Enough with the dying shit.

Our motto for March - No More Hospitals And Do Your Best Not To Drop Dead. I think it's highly doable.

Posted by Chris at February 23, 2010 7:00 AM
Comments

This reminds me that I haven't made good on my resolution to hit the gym...at all.

Posted by: Angelica at February 23, 2010 8:05 AM

I am glad Beth checked out okay and I hope she is recovering well.
Our family motto is: "If it's free, make it two." But, yours seems more practical.
Stay healthy, Chris.

Posted by: Tess at February 23, 2010 8:06 AM

You still have Docs??? That's awesome. I wish I kept mine. What color?

Posted by: Darren at February 23, 2010 8:41 AM

I went through a time when my asthma was better, and lately (since the pneumonia) I've had a rough go. Breathing is important! I've gotten a new inhaler and it works so well. My breathing really has improved and I am using it as needed.
You are right. Good health is everything!

Posted by: Maribeth at February 23, 2010 8:51 AM

Glad Beth's okay. Be careful!

Posted by: Fraulein N at February 23, 2010 9:08 AM

Here's to a healthy March!

Posted by: k8 at February 23, 2010 9:34 AM

You're about due for a spell of good fortune. Glad Beth's feeling better. Ray spent 3 days in hospital last week so I have an idea of how you're feeling.

Posted by: ann adams at February 23, 2010 9:49 AM

Hi Chris, I had childhood asthma as well and still get some mild episodes of wheezing now and then. I use an inhaler when I feel my lungs need some outside help, but recently, I discovered this wonderful breathing method called the Buteyko Method. And it stopped my fortnight-long wheezing in two days. Here's the link:

There's lots of information on the internet about this but it's interesting that no doctor has ever recommended it to me as a supplementary form of treatment. Buteyko may be beneficial to people suffering from a number of other ailments as well... something to do with the body's metabolism (or chemistry) as a result of improving the carbon dioxide concentration in the body. Maybe Mia could benefit from it as well.

Anyway, I hope Beth gets better and stays better.

Posted by: Brenda at February 23, 2010 9:54 AM

I just wore my 12-year-old Docs to work the farmers market on Saturday and was admiring how perfectly rugged they are! My husband is uber jealous I kept them around.

Oh and also, here's to your fam's health and carpe diem-ing. :)

Posted by: mandy at February 23, 2010 10:26 AM

Cheers to a healthy March!

Posted by: Heather at February 23, 2010 10:48 AM

Hey, Buddy. You take care, ok? And if you and Beth and the kids need to stay in instead of going skating, just to recoup, it's not against the law. Nor is your and Beth taking a little time to yourselves again. It won't cause a Mia asthma attack, even though you already know that, but just saying it again.

Posted by: alektra at February 23, 2010 11:55 AM

That is an awesome motto, and I wish you all the very best in fulfilling it!

Posted by: Katie at February 23, 2010 12:50 PM

I think it's highly doable if you don't smoke!!

Posted by: Rose at February 23, 2010 12:55 PM

and I hope Beth is feeling much better today!!

Posted by: Rose at February 23, 2010 12:56 PM

I'm sorry for your losses, buddy, but I'm glad the kiddo is okay. I sure hope you stay healthy and don't have to hear music from Pete Catheter and the Speculums again any time soon. I hear they bloody suck.

Posted by: Jen R. (emeraldsunshine.org) at February 23, 2010 3:25 PM

It's like the need for the ER comes in waves. I'd prefer it not come at all. Hope she's better soon!

Posted by: statia at February 23, 2010 4:17 PM

Oh, gosh, I'm so sorry. That's very scary. I've only gone to urgent care once with an asthma attack, and I've gotta say, the not breathing is just such a terrifying feeling. You definitely have been to the ER too many times in a short span of time. Spring! Spring will make things better!

Posted by: Lemon Gloria at February 23, 2010 4:26 PM

First - I'm so sorry for your losses and have you and your fam in my thoughts.

Second - dude, our household decided that 2010 would be the year of no more hospital visits. 2008 and 2009 were not exactly kind to us in that regard. While one visit was certainly happy (kid #2) ... well, 2 ER visits, 2 cardiac unit admissions, 2 outpatient surgeries, 1 bonescan, countless nursing home visits, and 3 grandparent funerals ... Yeah. So, I'll back your motto for March if you back our plea for the year!

Posted by: kate at February 23, 2010 5:01 PM

Years of working in an ER has given me a familiarity with hospitals that has actually been pretty beneficial since having kids - I still DON'T WANT MY KIDS TO BE PATIENTS, but I'm comfortable and at least have that working for me.

Having said that, it CHANGES when someone you love is in the ER - sick or hurt and in pain. So I hope y'all STAY VERY FAR AWAY FROM NEEDING TO BE IN THE HOSPITAL FOR A GOOD LONG WHILE {unless you're there to visit someone who has had a baby, because that's just awesome}.

Posted by: Sarah at February 23, 2010 5:14 PM

No more hospitals is a most excellent motto.

Posted by: Hope at February 23, 2010 7:06 PM

that's a great March motto - gonna copy it, ok? especially that not dropping dead part ...

Posted by: Kathryn at February 24, 2010 2:58 AM

Apart from having babies, I think staying out of hospitals is a good thing as a rule.

Glad Beth is ok. :)

Posted by: Nat at February 25, 2010 12:19 PM

So we could say that your intentions to drop dead are negatory. Right buddy?

Seriously, stay out of there!

Posted by: jessica at February 25, 2010 1:30 PM