February 8, 2010

Snowpocalypse!

We survived the Snowpocalypse of 2010. It was a near thing but we survived.

Between Friday afternoon and Saturday night, we accumulated somewhere between two and three feet of snow. Getting an exact amount was tricky since the wind picked up late Friday night bringing with it near-blizzard conditions. Snow drifts were nipple-height. Exact measurement was tough. I'll go with one cubit dickload.

Nearly every time I've ventured outside, I've tried to take pictures of the snow. But they all look exactly the same. White. None of them actually show the significance of the snow we got. Roads, sidewalks, mailboxes, even cars disappeared. The surface of our backyard is three feet higher than it once was. Half of the play set is under snow. Trees collapsed.

snowpocalypse.jpg

I spent Saturday taking two separate passes at the driveway, me, my iPod and a shovel. It took hours. Sunday was spent clearing fallen trees - our trees - that wound up blocking the neighbors' driveway. We probably lost four or five trees altogether. Luckier than my parents who estimate that they lost close to forty, some across their driveway making it impossible for them to leave, even now. Beth and Owen staged a daring humanitarian effort, venturing out on Sunday to take them wine.

The rest of the time was spent inside with the kids. We played games, enacted elaborate performances, competed on the Wii, read books and let them watch much more TV than they're accustomed to.

And that is how we survived the Snowpocalypse. How did you survive the weekend?

Posted by Chris at February 8, 2010 7:33 AM
Comments

constantly burning fire, comfort food, comfy couch, good company.

Posted by: Lisa at February 8, 2010 8:06 AM

Just some relaxation since the rest of February is gearing up to be way too busy.

I'm sorry about your trees. Coming from a nearly treeless State I would mourn those as well.

Posted by: daisy at February 8, 2010 8:30 AM

Here goes nothing... First time I'm attempting to comment from my cell phone. Surprisingly we didn't get any snow up here. Not even a dusting. I'm amazed!

Posted by: Dozenroses13 at February 8, 2010 8:41 AM

still unsure if i/we survived. for some reason, 3 feet of snow decided to hit us at the same time as viral pnuemonia and RSV (both in the 2y.o.) need more coffee (or liquor) to ascertain if i'm actually going to get past this week with my sanity.

Posted by: bri at February 8, 2010 8:41 AM

We got 19 inches here...dug out and headed over to a friends house on Sat night so the kids could play together - hardly one day and cabin fever had set in! Looks like we are gonna get buried again with another possible 18 on Wed - a more normal noreaster where we get all the snow and you 'southerners' might get a dusting or just rain! What a winter! Love it when it snows! Makes winter worth it! ;-) Hope the kids are having fun with all the snow!

Posted by: cyndy at February 8, 2010 9:01 AM

Owen as the modern day St. Bernard with the barrel of booze on his collar. I like it. I am a little jealous of your storm. In New England we are kind of used to getting that kind of kick ass snow, and I appreciate the enforced cuccooning that comes with it. We haven't had one like that this year. Yet. I say yet because we can get that kind of storm into April. I remember one year it happened on Mother's Day when I was a kid. That rocked.

Posted by: MidLifeMama at February 8, 2010 9:09 AM

Sorry to hear about the trees, that sucks. That is a whole helluvalotta snow! Especially when you aren't used to it. I take it you didn't lose power? Glad you are still with us :)

Posted by: Elizabeth at February 8, 2010 9:22 AM

We had not one flake of snow here in the snow country of New Hampshire. I mean it was sunny albeit, cold! No snow.
I can appreciate the depth of your snow as we once had 29 inches in 1 day! Too much!
Glad that Owen and Beth made that humanitarian trip to your folks house with the wine. It's important to teach our young-ins to care for their elders like that!
I think the time has come (due to global warming) for you to purchase a snow blower!

Posted by: Maribeth at February 8, 2010 9:37 AM

My husband and I went down the shore to Margate, NJ, on Friday night. Because we are fools. The power went out a few times overnight and on Saturday morning, but luckily we only lost it for at most an hour or two, and we spent that time napping under heavy blankets so it wasn't missed.

Again, noting that we are nuts, we took a walk to the beach on Saturday in the height of the blowing and drifting. Snow-covered sand has a very, very strange consistency, and the closer you get to the water, the more it feels like quicksand; I didn't even realize how deep I was in until I looked down. We drove back up to Philly on Sunday afternoon, and the roads were clear and dry - job well done, NJDOT!

Posted by: Coleen at February 8, 2010 9:40 AM

We only got about 16" down here in Fredericksburg. We passed the time with a lot of Wii, and two extended Buffy the Vampire Slayer sessions. I convinced my wife that the box set of all 7 seasons would be a great Christmas gift for "the kids" and this weekend was perfect for a couple of extended Buffy sessions. We are into season 3...

I also shoveled 5 separate times, deciding that moving 3 or 4 inches of snow at a time is much much easier than letting it all build up.

Oh, and yesterday I did my taxes.

Posted by: COD at February 8, 2010 9:41 AM

That is amazing! Did the plows do a good enough job for you guys to travel?

Posted by: Brad at February 8, 2010 10:00 AM

I'm sorry about the trees. I'm always sorry about fallen trees. They make me so sad! And it's really hard to get good pictures of snow. I try every year and I still suck at it.

Posted by: k8 at February 8, 2010 10:41 AM

Lots of blankets and liquids. Because I have a cold.

Posted by: alektra at February 8, 2010 11:04 AM

Sounds like you made the best of a very snowy weekend! We actually dared to go downtown on Saturday and it was adventurous: people skiing along Constitution Ave., snowball fights on the Mall, and sledding by the Capitol. I am over the snow by now, though. Where's spring?

Posted by: Catharina at February 8, 2010 11:04 AM

The end times weren't as imminent here in Cali. It rained on Friday and Saturday morning, but that's it.

However, my darling husband abandoned me with the nearly-2-year-old to SKI IN ASPEN. No, I'm not bitter. Much. But, while he was gone, I murdered the TV box that has been living in my living room since we bough the TV about two years ago. It is now in small pieces in the recycling which I just now realized I forgot to put out for the trash guy. Maybe my kindly neighbor will do it. I unearthed the tool and work benches in our garage and organized that. I swept the back yard and cleaned up dog poop and some trash. I did 4 loads of laundry. I took Dash to the mall, on a wagon ride, and to church. We watched the game. I had a great time with my son and was feeling 100% empowered until I remembered about the trash. Bummer. But I got more done in two days than my darling husband gets done ever, and he's at home all day every day.

Posted by: Brooke at February 8, 2010 12:49 PM

I went to a mini informal blog-fest in Chicago. Which technically, if I dig deep, goes back to being your fault. I mean credit.

We all (between drinks) watched the snowstorm play out up the east coast.

I've lived through many a blizzard and the after-effects. After the "We're never going to have power again and we're all gonna die!!" and before the "omeygawd... the clean up [sniff] it's going to kill me" is a really beautiful & magical winter wonderland which you've captured well (especially recalling your summer pictures of the playstructure). Bring the kids out to just listen... Assuming you're not too close to a freeway!

Posted by: harmzie at February 8, 2010 1:20 PM

Sorry about all the trees. Terrible loss for your parents. The trees missed damaging the house or anything, right? Very sweet of Beth.

Lazy weekend here in Colorado. We didn't get any snow until yesterday. Only have 4 inches and I feel guilty given what family and friends have been dealing with on the East Coast.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at February 8, 2010 2:08 PM

crazy, crazy! did i tell you a tree fell on my sister's car in alexandria? your DC trees are too wimpy for a storm of that legendary magnitude :)

Posted by: kati at February 8, 2010 3:44 PM

Well, to be honest, it's been very mild and sunny here in Vancouver. Upper 40's. We've had a very mild winter. Which must please the Olympic committee to no end.

Posted by: jodi at February 8, 2010 4:27 PM

We apparently did less shoveling. Our driveway is fairly short and was full of cars. We watched too much tv, built with blocks, ate, watched more tv. We lost power Friday night until Saturday morning. Now we're battening down the hatches for round two.

Posted by: Annie at February 8, 2010 5:37 PM

Actually, I don't think I survived the weekend.

I had to move trash, that the trash company would not pick up in the rain. It was heavy because it was from the yard and it rained on it and started growing grass in the trash can.

It rained, rained, and rained some more.

The new dog we rescued, went into heat. Emergency trip to get diapers and pantyliners for a 5lb dog. *sigh*

Also, we spent 3 hours at Chuck E. Cheese for a 3yr. old nephew. fun fun fun til someone takes the tokens away.

Hope we can make it through another week. I am so tired. I don't even know how I drove today.

Posted by: debb at February 8, 2010 6:11 PM

Ahhh, sorry about all the shoveling, that can be a bitch, not that I'd know, hubby does all of that. Our weekend was hockey, nascar, and football, cards, oh and a few beer.Yup, we be Canadian rednecks. Nothing exciting at all...lol. Not a snowflake to be seen. Sounds like you guys are going to get hit again, this time we may not be so lucky and get your leftovers. However, wouldn't mind at all if you keep it ALL.!!!!

Posted by: Roberta at February 8, 2010 7:01 PM

Here in Toronto it was sunny but cold. And yes, the consensus seems to be you are getting "our" snow. I'm sure it will return here eventually.

The photo of the playset is "interesting" to compare against the one you posted when it was first built!

I just hope for your sakes the snow melts steadily when it's time instead of doing a thaw/freeze pattern. Icy roads and sidewalks are the worst, and you often can't shovel or salt/sand enough to fix it.

Posted by: Kat at February 8, 2010 7:37 PM

I suppose you don't want to know that, here in Ottawa, we've had a below average snow fall eh?

(Didn't think so.)

No matter how you look at it, 3 feet is a lot of snow. You guys be Canadian tough.

Posted by: Nat at February 8, 2010 7:45 PM

That's a LOT of snow, particularly with more coming. I hope you guys are able to dig out, and get those downed trees taken care of. I will say the photos are beautiful, although I doubt that's any consolation.

No snow for us down here on the southeast coast of NC, although our weather guy has been saying all day that we might get some this coming Saturday.

Posted by: coolchick at February 8, 2010 8:13 PM

I wish you could see what a Snowpocalypse looks like in Lexington, Kentucky. Imagine lots of brown looking muddy bits of grass covered with various spots of patchy white dust looking snow. That's our "Snowpocalypse" for ya! And we were supposed to get "2-4 inches" for that storm. Riiiight. Tonight and tomorrow we're supposed to get 4-6 inches, which in Lexington usually means we'll get .15

So yeah... I'll be going to work tomorrow as usual.

Posted by: Rachel at February 8, 2010 9:02 PM

Ummm....that's a lot of snow! Can you send some our way...apparently we don't have enough for the winter Olympics coming up...in like 3 days!

Posted by: Lujza at February 9, 2010 1:06 AM