February 5, 2010

The Weeklies #118

The Weekly Weather. Snow! Since just before Christmas, my yard has seen 34 inches of snow. And apparently there's more on the way tonight and tomorrow. Like, two feet.

The Weekly Time Waster. Gravit-eye.

The Weekly Read. In a lot of my replies to the comments on my vegetarian post, I've mentioned reading Jonathan Safran Foer's Eating Animals. Foer, author of Everything Is Illuminated and the astonishing Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, took it upon himself to research the animal farming and production industry in this country when his son was born. What he found he recorded in this book. And what he found isn't pretty. It's far from a rant against meat eaters or the industry they support. Foer's classification of his own diet barely enters the picture. Instead, it's a well-researched, very insightful look at, like the title says, eating animals. It is, in parts, a little disorganized but its not a long book and Foer brings all his thoughts and research together nicely.

The Weekly Schadenfreude. John Edwards used to be a likable guy. He was young, smart, motivated and reasonably good looking (due in no small part to the expensive haircuts I'm sure). But now we're finding out a little more about Edwards. Sure, we knew that he had an affair. And he finally copped to the fact that his mistress' child was his. Like we didn't already know that. But apparently not Edwards has a sex tape, with that visibly pregnant mistress. Worse, it's now being revealed that he beat his cancer-stricken wife. Asshat doesn't begin to describe this guy.

The Weekly Oops. Toyota accidentally pioneered cars that drive themselves. Too bad they couldn't stop themselves too.

The Weekly Oops, Part Two. At their New York headquarters yesterday, NBC served fried chicken in honor of Black History Month. I wish I was making that up. I'm not. Hasn't NBC met their quota of bad decisions for the year already?

The Weekly Proof that Sarah Palin is Either An Idiot or Surprisingly Brilliant. Palin's political action committee dropped nearly $63,000 on Palin's own book. Thus inflating sales and giving them something good to hand out to supporters. It would be the perfect money laundering scheme if she was taking royalties on her book. What it really is, though, is kinda pathetic. Think about what $63,000 could do in Haiti or the native Alaskan population in her home state that lives perpetually below the poverty line.

The Weekly Not-So Hypothetical. What is your favorite song right now?

Posted by Chris at February 5, 2010 7:14 AM
Comments

My favorite song right now is Holiday by Vampire Weekend. Something about that band just makes me happy. Of course, a holiday right now would be nice. Somewhere warm and unsnowy. Hard to believe my not yet 3-month old son has seen more snow in his life than most people see in 30 years on this planet. Hope you and yours are well stocked for another snowbound Saturday.

Posted by: Beth at February 5, 2010 8:25 AM

That German song I told you about. Anyone can youtube Peter Fox "Haus Am See". It's a great song!

Posted by: Maribeth at February 5, 2010 8:30 AM

I like Tennessee Line by Daughtry. I usually repeat it once or twice when it comes up on my ipod. BUT, I just went to a Jeans & Classics concert on Tuesday - the music of Elton John... so now, anything by him makes me happy... maybe The Bitch is Back?? :)

Posted by: Kim at February 5, 2010 8:45 AM

If I am banned forever from posting a comment I will understand...but my fave song right now is "Tick Tock" by Key$ha. Mila loves it and I love hearing her say "Wake up in the morning feelin' like P Diddy" so we hear it all the time. We call it "Tick Tock .com" at my house though, as Mila has not yet grasped the concept of Google. She thinks that whatever you want to see is THAT.com, i.e. ticktock.com (because she wanted to see the youtube video). Spare yourself the agony and DON'T go to ticktock.com. It's, like, a bunch of clocks. Booooring.

Posted by: mymilabean at February 5, 2010 9:09 AM

I hate gossip but I saw somewhere yesterday that the ex-aide says it doesn't belong to his mistress, which I took to mean it isn't her (well, the one we're thinking of) in the tape? I don't even know. I hadn't heard that about Elizabeth though. Ugh. What a fucking jerk.

Posted by: Sparkle Pants at February 5, 2010 9:22 AM

Your question made me feel soooo old. I realized that I don't currently have a favorite song except maybe "Colors" by Kira Willey. Never heard of it? Not surprising as it likely only plays on Kids Place Live on satellite radio. Sigh, I need a life. :) Enjoy your snow!

Posted by: Elizabeth at February 5, 2010 9:24 AM

My favorite song of the minute is One EskimO's "Kandi". But to really enjoy it, you first have to listen to Candi Staton's 1947 hit "He Called Me Baby". And then listen to One EskimO. DO IT. You will thank me.

Posted by: Candy at February 5, 2010 9:57 AM

I'm all about Glory Bound written by Carlo Nuccio featuring Aaron Neville, Theresa Andersson (what a voice, I could listen to her all day), Ivan Neville, Jon Cleary, Matt Perrine, Shamarr Allen, Paul Sanchez and more of New Orleans finest musicians!

Posted by: Lisa at February 5, 2010 9:58 AM

Newest - "Sun Hands" - Local Natives
Singing - "Why Would You Change Me" - Fiona Apple
Playing - "I Nearly Lost You" - Screaming Trees

Posted by: alektra at February 5, 2010 10:30 AM

"Smile" by Uncle Kracker. I sing it to my kids because, well, they make me smile :)

Posted by: margo at February 5, 2010 11:05 AM

My favorite song right now is hard to nail down. Right this minute, I've got 'My Girl' by the Temptations running through my head non-stop ("I've got sunshine, on a cloudy day..."). I'm trying desperately to replace that with anything else. Screaming Trees sounds like a good option.

Posted by: j at February 5, 2010 11:07 AM

Don't Rain On My Parade - Lea Michele, Glee.

I'm mostly about Glee these days. :)

Posted by: oakley at February 5, 2010 11:12 AM

Surprisingly, at the moment, I'm not listening to anything in particular. But yesterday, iTunes shuffled up Journey's "Ask The Lonely" and I was suddenly flooded with memories of summer 1992, and the boy that introduced me to Journey, and my summer job, and my friends, and graduation and going off to college. It was kind of overwhelming in a good way. And anything that can be interpreted as "in a good way" right now is something I can use. So I'm going with "Ask The Lonely".

Posted by: Brooke at February 5, 2010 12:07 PM

I'm all about Ray LaMontagne & Joss Stone right now.

I hope sweet Mia will be well enough to build a snowman this weekend!

Posted by: LaineyDid at February 5, 2010 12:12 PM

Check out Old Enough by the Raconteurs (http://amzn.com/B001L5ZMA6) unless, of course, you hate 1) bluegrass (it's got a bunch of mandolin in it, even though it ain't bluegrass), 2) jack white (he's playing guitar but not singing much).

Posted by: pvz at February 5, 2010 12:15 PM

Favorite song right now is: 'This Is War' by 30 Seconds to Mars

Ok. I was born and raised in Alaska and lived there for 22 years of my life. I can assure you Alaskan natives do not live in poverty (I'm not a Palin fan by the way). But the rest of my post was great. Thanks.

Posted by: Nosmo King at February 5, 2010 12:52 PM

Joy To The World-by Three Dog Night.
Except it's not really a favourite song so much as it's been stuck in my head for about three years now, and i usually burst out singing it once a day. which is sad because it has now given my husband a violent urge to punch any and all hippies/bearded happy men in the face.

Posted by: Cri at February 5, 2010 1:23 PM

Only You Can Love Me This Way - Keith Urban
I heard him sing it a few weeks ago on the Ellen show and I really liked it.
Yeah - Usher
I keep hearing this song during some infomercial that comes on in the middle of the night. They also played almost the whole song yesterday AM on Headline news while they had a picture of the White House. What were they trying to tell us? That it's just a big free-for-all party at the White House? That Obama wants Michelle to be a lady in the street but a freak in the bed???? LOL!

Posted by: Rose at February 5, 2010 3:16 PM

'Gunman' by Them Crooked Vultures.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at February 5, 2010 3:18 PM

The one I keep coming back to lately is The World is Darker by Neverending White Lights featuring Melissa Auf Der Maur, former bassist with Hole and Smashing Pumpkins.

Posted by: Mike at February 5, 2010 5:03 PM

Favorite song right now? I'm going to go with "Home" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes. Of course that choice will change in about five minutes.

Posted by: buzz at February 5, 2010 5:12 PM

Favorite song, one of those popular John Mayer songs, but only because my boy loves it and is always singing it. Cute, as least for now.

Agree with you on John Edwards, it is the ugly story that won't quit or go away.

Posted by: One Mom's Opinion at February 5, 2010 5:21 PM

This one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsKOGBXaHJI

And we just scooped up presale tickets for his concert in April - Yay!

Posted by: Jo MacD at February 5, 2010 5:30 PM

My husband has been in the DC area all week, and needed to get back home today, but all the flights were canceled....he ended up driving to Richmond, VA and flying to Cleveland just to get out of the area. He is hopping on a flight out of Cleveland right about now to try and get into Houston tonight. I really thought he was going to get stuck in DC for the weekend.....

Song stuck in my head all week......Dear Prudence, by The Beatles. I have hummed it out loud and sung it in my head for 8 days straight.

Posted by: Jen at February 5, 2010 6:31 PM

Daughtry ~ no surprise.

Posted by: kami at February 5, 2010 9:34 PM

I'm addicted to Paramore's latest album, the entire thing. Specifically today my favorite is track 9.

Posted by: Maggie at February 5, 2010 10:39 PM

"I wish I was a Punkrocker" by Sandi Thom. Not because I have this overwhelming desire to live in England in 1969, but because I just think it's a cool song. Very fun to sing along to.
And I just found the CD, which I haven't seen in several years and had forgotten even existed.

Posted by: Amy at February 5, 2010 10:45 PM

Is it just me or are we all a touch nervous when we see a Toyota in the Rearview Mirror.

Mixed Bag this week:

Brainy, The National ("I think I'd like to follow you around.")
Unthought Known, Pearl Jam (comfort food)
Son the Father, Fucked Up
Gimme Sympathy, Metric.

I finally got around to listening to Ryan Adams, Heartbreaker... brilliant. All I can say about it.

Posted by: Nat at February 5, 2010 10:46 PM

"This Is Worth Fighting For" by Greg Sczebel.

Posted by: Heather at February 5, 2010 11:03 PM

My favorite song now, and most of the time, is Bob Marley's "Three Little Birds".

{Also, I'm currently in the same hotel as Sarah Palin and the freakin' tea party. As I type this comment, I'm sitting in a booth while the tea party people are takin' our swag. KLASSY.}

Posted by: sarah at February 6, 2010 3:31 PM

Golden Love by Midnight Youth

Posted by: Fi at February 6, 2010 10:34 PM

I am alternating between a few favourite songs at the moment. My top of the list one right now is "Monster" by Skillet (it is very catchy). The other 2 songs that I am listening to a fair amount are both by a group called Red. One of the songs is called "Never Be The Same". The other is "Ordinary World" - a remake of the Duran Duran song, and - I personally think - a fantastic cover of the original.

Posted by: Delia at February 8, 2010 1:56 AM

DEAD CITIES!!!!!!!!!!!! by the Exploited. Blast from the past.

Posted by: meanie at February 8, 2010 8:07 AM

favorite album rigth now is "airborne toxic event", pretty much love avery song on it!

Posted by: stephanie at February 8, 2010 11:49 AM

Sexy Results [MSTRKRFT Edition] by Death From Above 1979...I really like when you ask us questions :)

Posted by: jessica fantastica at February 10, 2010 5:06 AM

Houses and cars are quite expensive and not everyone is able to buy it. Nevertheless, loans was created to support different people in such kind of situations.

Posted by: HARRISVirgie31 at June 9, 2010 6:40 PM