February 12, 2010

The Weeklies #119

The Weekly Statement on My Mental Heath. I don't condone his behavior but being snowbound I think I might finally understand Jack Nicholson's character in The Shining.

The Weekly Work Location. With the exception of my brief five hour stretch in my actual office, I've been working from home for a week. Surprisingly, I've gotten quite a bit done. In my jammies.

The Weekly Time Waster. It's not a game but the Human Clock is fascinating.

The Weekly Reads. John O'Farrell's The Best A Man Can Get is the closest thing to a Nick Hornby book you can get without it actually being a book written by Nick Hornby. And given that Hornby's recent output hasn't been all that strong, well, that's not a bad thing. The basic premise (and I'm not revealing anything that isn't spelled out on the back of the book) is this - a married guy with two kids maintains a bachelor pad his wife doesn't know about; hilarity ensues. Sure, it sounds contrived and you can see exactly where the novel is headed before you even make it past the first page but it's surprisingly not bad. The novel's funny and it's well worth the brief amount of time it'll take you to conquer it's 250+ pages.

The Weekly Music. Podcasts! Okay, I realize that podcasts are rarely music-focused but I've been listening to a lot of them lately. See, my favorite radio show got the axe a few months ago but the Mike O'Meara Show is back, online. I've also become a Keith And The Girl and Court And Fatboy. Daily entertainment free of charge. Pretty cool.

The Weekly Music Video. Now, because I feel like I owe you some music, you must check out the video for This Too Shall Pass, from the band OK Go. Really. You won't be sorry.

The Weekly Product. Pajama Jeans!

The Weekly Schadenfreude. It's got to be Toyota, right?

The Weekly Not-So-Hypothetical. What one book have you read multiple times (twice or more)? Or what book have you read that you can envision yourself reading again?

Posted by Chris at February 12, 2010 6:43 AM
Comments

OMG can you believe it! I FORGOT it was friday and didn't write my weeklies blog! I'll have to do it for tomorrow! Oops!
One downside to being out of work is it's really easy to forget which day of the week it is....

As far as the books, I've re-read the first two books of the Twilight series. I'll re-read the others as the movies come out. Once all the Harry Potter movies are out I think I'll re-read that whole series too.

If I had the patience I wouldn't mind re-reading a pile of Shakespeare but that takes patience on my part....

Posted by: Rose at February 12, 2010 7:57 AM

The City & The City, by China Mieville. It was a good book that I read for the first time in January. It was one of those books that you finish and for the next couple days you're thinking to yourself, "Did I really get what was going on?"

Looking forward to reading it again soon, and reading some of the other comments. Have a good weekend!

Posted by: David at February 12, 2010 7:57 AM

I have several books that I re-read about once a year: An Italian Affair by Laura Fraser (although every time I read it I rave about it to a friend, lend it to said friend, and then said friend promptly reads it, loves it, and then loses it. No kidding. It's happened 3 times.), 16 Pleasures by Robert Hellenega and Faux Gourmet by Juli Huss. Also, for whatever reason I've re-read Mila 18 and Exodus by Leon Uris at least twice. I don't know - there's something so comforting about going back and re-reading a book that you loved the first time. It's like - you know you're not going to be disappointed.

Posted by: rougeneck at February 12, 2010 8:02 AM

Well, I have read, "Gone With The Wind" more than once. I think about 4-5 times. But that was when I was young and my brain was overly romantic.
I've also read The "Time Travelers Wife" twice and "The Fall Of Berlin".
Unfortunately I'm limited right now with the reading due to my eyes. If it isn't on tape or in large print I can't read it!

Posted by: Maribeth at February 12, 2010 8:11 AM

I can't tell you how much I needed that video today. Thanks, Chris.

Posted by: Julie at February 12, 2010 8:20 AM

We've talked about it before and that book would be "Replay" by Ken Grimwood. I've read it about 6 times now and every time I do it's like I'm reading it for the first time again. Then I spent days wondered "what if".

Posted by: NancyJ at February 12, 2010 8:37 AM

Surprise, surprise, the first book that pops to mind that I've read multiple times is sci-fi: Orion Shall Rise by Poul Anderson. Read it? You should! Another: The Stand by Stephen King. I love apocalyptic, post-apocalyptic fiction. Call me weird. Another that I've only read once but will read again before reading the sequel: Cyteen by CJ Cherryh. Okay, I'll stop now. :)

Hope you can get out and about this weekend before you start axe-swinging here's johnny-ing!

Posted by: Elizabeth at February 12, 2010 8:41 AM

I'm definitely a rereading books kind of girl. I've read all the books that comforted me as a child multiple times, even now that I'm an adult - The Little Princess, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Secret Garden, Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, and Black Beauty, to name a few. When Mia gets to be a tween/young teen, keep these books in mind to hand to her because they are the only things that kept me sane during my eighth grade angst.

And the Harry Potter series. I shudder to think about how many times I have read those books.

Posted by: NGS at February 12, 2010 8:42 AM

I used to re-read books so often when I was younger (kid - college years) - when I had more time! ;-) I've re-read three books that I can remember in the near past - The Time-Traveler's Wife, The Stand and The Lovely Bones. (I've re-read several Stephen King books - don't know why, they sometimes scare the bejesus out of me!)

I re-read the Little House on the Prairie books like at least a dozen times as a kid. Love Laura Ingalls! I just 'loaned' my set of the series to my eldest niece who turned 7 this past year and is a voracious reader already! I can't wait to get them back for Leda!

Totally get Jack Nicholson's character in the Shining as well! Can not WAIT to get the heck out of this house!!!

Posted by: cyndy at February 12, 2010 9:34 AM

I'd never seen The Shining. And one night when I lived in NC and The Dead Guy was out of town for work and we were having a hurricane? I turned on the tv and saw Jack Nicholson and thought, "Good! I like him! I'll watch THIS!" Yeah. The Shining. When your man is gone and there's a hurricane outside. NIiiiicce. And I had to watch it until the end.

Katherine by Anya Seton. I picked it up for the name and have read it over and over and over again.

Posted by: k8 at February 12, 2010 9:41 AM

Holy Cow...that video was AWESOME! of course, having been a band geek in my past, I have a soft spot for marching bands! But still, awesome! Am stealing and sharing! thank you!

Posted by: cyndy at February 12, 2010 9:41 AM

Handling Sin by Michael Malone.

Posted by: Sabrina at February 12, 2010 9:48 AM

Harry Potter, Watership Down, Dune, LOTR, Ender's Game

Posted by: Arwen at February 12, 2010 10:05 AM

Pajama Jeans?!?! Awesome. Awesome find. Also, I think the schadenfreude should be on us, the Mid-Atlantic. If I still lived in AZ I'd be laughing at us.

Posted by: bri at February 12, 2010 10:13 AM

Like the other comments, as a young girl I would reread all kinds of series like the ones mentioned. When I was in fifth grade my teacher had a library in class we could borrow books from. I borrowed "Mrs. Mike" so many times that on the last day of school she gave it to me. I still read it to this day. It is based on a married couple's true story, he is a Canadian Mountie and they live in the early 1900's in the wilderness. It is simple, I mean I read it in fifth grade, but I still love it.

And Happy Birthday Owen, Jake is 2 today. It is going so fast!

Posted by: stacie at February 12, 2010 10:19 AM

OMG Pajama jeans scare me! And I have never re-read a book. Maybe I'm just not reading the right books.

Posted by: Tracy H at February 12, 2010 11:01 AM

I spend an absurd amount of time everyday walking around listening to podcasts. And when I found out that Mike O'Meara started one, I actually peed a little. I'm a big fan of Tony Kornheiser's and Adam Carolla's podcasts, as well as about 10 others. I'm out of control.

As for the book, I read the Winnie the Pooh anthology The World of Pooh at least once a year. Although the thought of re-reading books when there so many other than need read seems a little counterintuitive, I think I could easily read A Prayer for Owen Meany again and again, no problem.

Posted by: You can call me, 'Sir' at February 12, 2010 11:10 AM

Just to be an asshat, we're expecting the high 70s this weekend in LA/OC. But our water is so gross from the rainstorm, we're advised to stay out of the ocean. Heh.

As for the books, I've read The Lovely Bones a couple of times. I also have several novels by Thai writer Prapassorn Sevikul I brought from home which I would re-read every other year including a Thai teenager's essential (well during my time anyways), "Time in a Bottle". (Yes, based on that Jim Croce song.) They're all kind of sappy and a little melodramatic but they're soooo good! LOL At least one would make damn good Hollywood movie.

I would also go through the entire series of Harry Potter and The Dresden Files again. I just have to find time.

Posted by: oakley at February 12, 2010 11:12 AM

What book haven't I read twice would be a better question. Anything by Tom Clancy, John Grisham (fiction only), Lee Child, and countless others. I don't have as many books as you do, but what I do have I've read multiple times.

Posted by: Rex at February 12, 2010 11:50 AM

I was sure the weekly Schadenfreude would have been Sarah Palin writing crib notes on her hand.

Posted by: Jon (was) in Michigan at February 12, 2010 11:53 AM

how cute is that video!? i love it :)

Posted by: kati at February 12, 2010 12:02 PM

Books I've read multiple times: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel, The Princess Bride by William Goldman. Those are the first three that come to mind although I know there are more.

Posted by: Shannon at February 12, 2010 1:07 PM

Every time I get a bad cold, for some reason I have to re-read The Stand by Stephen King. Maybe I just like to make myself feel better by knowing it could be worse...September by Rosamunde Pilcher is another that I have read countless times, she really knows how to describe things...
The Harry Potter series has been read at least 5 times, each time within a week. Once I start, I can't stop until I am all through. AND I have had to re-read the Bobbsie Twins books to my daughter twice. She could read them herself, but she likes to see the pictures in her head while I read them to her!

Posted by: Becki at February 12, 2010 1:55 PM

I rarely re-read books, but I do love Michael Ondaatje's memoir Running in the Family. I love his writing. And I have to say, I am so enjoying going through all my childhood faves with my son. I can't wait till he's old enough for Roald Dahl.

Posted by: Lemon Gloria at February 12, 2010 1:58 PM

Cryptonomicon. I think I've read it about 5 times. In fact, I've read most of Stephenson's stuff multiple times.

Posted by: heels at February 12, 2010 2:27 PM

I've read 1. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and 2. The Little Princess both at least 10 times. Neither since I was a kid, though.

I don't think I've read a single book twice as an adult, unless it was assigned in two different classes. Lame. Except some short story collections. You can never read Raymond Carver too many times. What he does seems so simple, but he packs so much between the lines. "Cathedral" is crazy good.

Posted by: Laura at February 12, 2010 3:20 PM

I have 40 lineal feet of paperback books, mostly S/F and mystery. 90% of which I have read at least 2x. LOTR about 20x, in my late teens-early 20's. Even after 4 kids, toooooo much time on my hands.

Posted by: jossisboss at February 12, 2010 4:33 PM

My son lives in DC, works in Rockville MD, takes the Metro, and wasn't in his office at all this week (although, granted, there were three days it didn't open).

I haven't re-read all that many books in recent years, except for the Harry Potter series - I blame the 268 books (current count) in my "To be read" collection on LibraryThing. But I will be re-reading one in another month or so. Two other book bloggers and I are co-hosting a Read-Along of Mary Doria Russell's THE SPARROW. We've all read it before, but feel like it deserves more attention, so we've made an excuse to re-read it and promote it. I'm officially kicking it off with a post on my blog next Tuesday - care to join us?

Posted by: Florinda at February 12, 2010 4:49 PM

I found myself reading Eat, Pray, Love a few times over the period of a year. Not in that Holy, Oprah She Is My New Female Savior! kind of way... just because of how she phrased a few things. I liked her tone and her tempo and remembered there were a few "ah ha's" in there. I might have made some notes about places to visit in Italy, too... Juuuuust in case....

Posted by: Pammer at February 12, 2010 4:55 PM

Man, I love reading so much that I rarely read something twice. Mainly because there is so much out there to read it seems silly to run over the same ground again.

That said, I've read the Harry Potter series twice (once when they were new and I re-read the book version of whichever movie is coming out), and the Lord of the Rings a couple times too. I should re-read some of the books I read as a teen that probably flew over my head, like "A Separate Peace" and "Catcher in the Rye".

Posted by: Brooke at February 12, 2010 5:48 PM

Swan Song

Posted by: RzDrms at February 12, 2010 9:03 PM

Oh easy question. Two books that I have read/will read over and over are "God Shaped Hole" and "How to Kill a Rockstar" both by Tiffanie DeBartolo. The latter being in my top 3 favorite books.

Posted by: ::c:: at February 13, 2010 9:32 AM

Pajama. Jeans. holycrap.

Posted by: Aimee Greeblemonkey at February 13, 2010 1:00 PM

I seriously recommend "Things can only get better" by John O'Farrell. About being a labour party supporter in the UK during years of conservative domination so not maybe an obvious choice for a US reader but absolutely hilarious and well worth it. For my money much better than "The Best a Man Can Get" which, I agree, is pretty good.

Posted by: Anne at February 13, 2010 1:15 PM

I am seriously such a sucker for anything OK Go. Especially their videos. I didn't even realize they HAD a new video! See? Your reminders for me to check your blog have already paid off. ;)

Posted by: Jessa at February 13, 2010 9:06 PM

Unless the book is completely horrible, if I read it once I’ve read it at least twice. Sometimes right after I finish a book, and I mean right after I read the last page, I'll read a book again. I speed read so while I'll get the main ideas and concepts I miss the more subtle stuff. Sometime it drives me nuts, but the better the book the faster I read it. I can’t make myself slow down the first time I read it. Absolute favorites – Jean Auel; J K Rowling; Laura Ingles Wilder; A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Smith?); Anne of Green Gables; Stephen King (as mentioned above The Stand – love it) ; JD Robb; Orson Scott Card (the whole Ender series) and I could go on and on. Did I mention that I speed read?

Posted by: Tracey at February 18, 2010 4:44 PM

Set your life time more easy get the business loans and all you want.

Posted by: LeighGreene at June 9, 2011 12:41 PM